Old February 8th 17, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Phenolic Handles

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
news
alibaba? ("Billions of items and a search engine that sucks")

I've not had good luck with Alibaba either, but I have bought a couple
things using Aliexpress. I didn't remember to check either one this time
around.

Old February 9th 17, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2017 18:24:30 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to
use them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500 might
find me a better price somewhere. I've checked obvious places like
Amazon, MSC, Carr-Lane, and EBAY. Essentra has nearly nothing. Zoro's
website is about worthless when you search for something they don't even
have and get 6000+ results. I used Google's site search and most of
Zoro's stuff was more than twice the price.

1/4-20 female insert phenolic handles. I don't want the ones MSC has
that have a formed thread. I want one with a female insert.

They get used on lead, tin, and pewter casting molds, so I don't really
want to get away from the modest heat handling of phenolic. My local
screw vendor doesn't have them. I asked.

Last time I looked around McMaster had the best price, but I was only
buying 20 at a time then. Maybe they still do.

I used to work at a place where every mechanical engineer had this big
catalog on his desk that was handles and shoulder screws and knobs and
whatnot from cover to cover. Now if I need something, I can't find it.
It's very frustrating. Fortunately, I mostly do circuit design and I DO
know where to find that stuff (except for connectors and switches -- and
that's everyone's bugaboo).

I got lots of hits on an ixquick search with the keywords "industrial
hardware phenolic handles". Amazon, of all places, has them -- you might
be able to track back from there to someone who'll sell in bulk.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Old February 9th 17, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
newstqdnWqHLKJGLwbFnZ2dnUU7-
I used to work at a place where every mechanical engineer had this big
catalog on his desk that was handles and shoulder screws and knobs and
whatnot from cover to cover. Now if I need something, I can't find it.
It's very frustrating.

I KNOW THAT FEELING. I grew up in a rural area, and my dad owned the local
hardware store. We also had the grocery store next door, and our work shops
were out back of the grocery store. When I was working on something and
needed a part or a tool I'd just walk over to the hardware store and get
what I needed. Now I live in town, and often I drive, call, and web surf
all over town and nobody has that part or tool I need. That part or tool
that I know exactly where it used to be on the shelf in my dad's little old
country hardware store.

It's very frustrating. Fortunately, I mostly do circuit design and I DO
know where to find that stuff (except for connectors and switches -- and
that's everyone's bugaboo).

Yeah, the electronics suppliers have done a decent job of staying up with
the times making it easy for us to find the part we need on-line. Well.
except for Radio Shack which has become no better than a pop-up cell phone
store.

I got lots of hits on an ixquick search with the keywords "industrial
hardware phenolic handles". Amazon, of all places, has them -- you might
be able to track back from there to someone who'll sell in bulk.

I did check Amazon, but didn't take the time to contact any of the sellers
to ask questions.

Old February 9th 17, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2017 07:29:10 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Not being rich, I always shop around for the best value. eBay,
Amazon, Zoro, McMaster, Enco (now MSC, $$), and maybe HD.

Might want to add Fastenall to that list. Rarely cheapest for just
one or two, but if you need a bunch of something they will try hard
to be your supplier.

Place I used to work for used a lot of (generic) Destaco 341 clamps
and we negotiated the price down to $13 from the then $20 buying a
dozen at a time. Real ones were about $25 then... Ouch! Up to $35 at
Granger today.

Glad I am no longer there! A bad day at my current job is better
than a good one there.
--
William
Old February 9th 17, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Not being rich, I always shop around for the best value. eBay,
Amazon, Zoro, McMaster, Enco (now MSC, $$), and maybe HD.

Might want to add Fastenall to that list. Rarely cheapest for just
one or two, but if you need a bunch of something they will try hard
to be your supplier.

I forgot about Fastenal. I buy fill in nuts and bolts from them once in a
while, but only if Copperstate is out and I have to have it today.
Fastenal's biggest claim to fame for that stuff is at least they are cheaper
than Lowes or Home Depot. LOL.

I did give a local salesman with them my email address and a list of pins,
machine screws, and misc hardware I buy all the time, but I never heard back
from him. I know their listed price on all of it was a couple times the
price at Copperstate. On the other hand Ramon at Copperstate and I always
talk about fishing when I drop by to get a couple boxes of something.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning them. Maybe a call to their corporate office
to see about some pricing is in order.

Old February 9th 17, 12:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 13:19:42 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
I'll be ordering more in the future, so I can always ask next time.

I saw that they had a price discount at quantity 10. I would think that
some more discounts at 100, 250, 500... wouldn't be out of line...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old February 9th 17, 01:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 07 Feb 2017 18:24:30 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I got lots of hits on an ixquick search with the keywords
"industrial
hardware phenolic handles". Amazon, of all places, has them -- you
might
be able to track back from there to someone who'll sell in bulk.
Tim Wescott

Amazon lists brass insert knobs from "Essentra Components (formerly
Reid Supply)".

I buy a lot from Amazon to minimize the exposure of my credit card.
They seems more like a flea market selling closeouts and overruns than
a reliable long-term supplier. Several items I bought are no longer
available and the parameters of electronic components suggest they
came from the out-of-spec bins on the tester, for example a batch of
75V gas discharge tubes measured either less than 70V or more than
80V. 50V Schottky diodes from them have PRVs in the high 40's, none
over 50.0V at 50uA leakage.

I recently tested an old Radio Shack "25A 50V" rectifier bridge. The
number on the part corresponded to 600V PRV and it tested over 900V.
Maybe a good one snuck in by accident?

-jsw

Old February 9th 17, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news

1/4-20 female insert phenolic handles.

That polymer clay I mentioned for taking gear tooth impressions is
actually uncured PVC resin and was originally developed to replace
phenolic, which contains formaldehyde. I bought a brick to experiment
with its mechanical and electrical properties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fimo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sculpey

-jsw

Old February 9th 17, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news
"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 07 Feb 2017 18:24:30 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I got lots of hits on an ixquick search with the keywords "industrial
hardware phenolic handles". Amazon, of all places, has them -- you might
be able to track back from there to someone who'll sell in bulk.
Tim Wescott

Amazon lists brass insert knobs from "Essentra Components (formerly Reid
Supply)".

I buy a lot from Amazon to minimize the exposure of my credit card.

The problem is Amazon has bought some of the companies that they used to
sell for. Then they killed off products that weren't high movers and raised
the price on others. On top of that they have gone around some resellers
buying from their sources in higher volume and undercut them. I used to buy
my mold alignment pins from Small Parts (500-1000 at a time) through Amazon
until Amazon bought them and raised the price. I asked my screw vendor
(Copperstate) to price them for me, and it was a much better price, so I
guess their mercenary business practices served me well in that case.

They seems more like a flea market selling closeouts and overruns than a
reliable long-term supplier.

They had an Ebay-esque feel for a while, but more and more the reliable
repeat products are being carried directly by Amazon. (Prime) Ebay has
actually tried to be more like Amazon used to be supporting commercial
resellers and kind of snubbing buyers and one off sellers.

Several items I bought are no longer available and the parameters of
electronic components suggest they came from the out-of-spec bins on the
tester, for example a batch of 75V gas discharge tubes measured either
less than 70V or more than 80V. 50V Schottky diodes from them have PRVs in
the high 40's, none over 50.0V at 50uA leakage.

I recently tested an old Radio Shack "25A 50V" rectifier bridge. The
number on the part corresponded to 600V PRV and it tested over 900V. Maybe
a good one snuck in by accident?

LOL

-jsw

Old February 9th 17, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 12:42:24 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

But Amazon is so damned convenient. I biy far more of my onesy twosy parts from Amazon than I do from, say Digikey or Newark. The prices are OK, the shipping is usually free with Prime, and I often can get same-day delivery.

I agree, though, that they have f'd up the small parts offerings.

Even more handy, though, was the place I worked last summer. The hardware racks in their parts room was automatically restocked by Grainger. Can't beat that for convenience.

Several items I bought are no longer available and the parameters of
electronic components suggest they came from the out-of-spec bins on the
tester, for example a batch of 75V gas discharge tubes measured either
less than 70V or more than 80V. 50V Schottky diodes from them have PRVs in
the high 40's, none over 50.0V at 50uA leakage.

I recently tested an old Radio Shack "25A 50V" rectifier bridge. The
number on the part corresponded to 600V PRV and it tested over 900V. Maybe
a good one snuck in by accident?

LOL

-jsw

I used to (in the early - mid 80s) buy Murata piezo transducers from Radio shack. Their retail price was lower than the 5,000 piece price from Murata for the same part number.

Phenolic Resin Sheeting fred[_8_] UK diy 8 August 2nd 16 08:21 AM
Drilling Phenolic Tim Wescott Metalworking 7 December 22nd 11 09:55 PM
Where to buy Phenolic Ply [email protected] UK diy 1 May 5th 06 08:59 PM
paper phenolic pcb Obelix Electronics 4 October 20th 04 04:41 PM
Turning Phenolic Laminate vmtw Woodturning 7 September 18th 04 12:11 AM