Old February 7th 17, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On 2017-02-06, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Mills have a nice optional unit for tapping - auto-reverse on a set of

[ ... ]

Made just for taping.

Sounds like a TapMatic, or a Procunier, or even a Buck/Ridgid
Supreme VersaTapper tapping head. I have two sizes of the TapMatic, and
one of the Buck for larger taps.

[ ... ]

Mind you -- none of these are particularly affordable, new.

No kidding. Even the small import starts at about 150-199. Still as
machine tools go they are well worth that and then some if you tap a lot of
holes. I tap so many 10-32 and 1/4-20 holes I hardly ever take my tapping
heads off their respective drill presses. I'm actually thinking about
setting up a drill press island in the shop. 6 bench tops around a table
with my most common drills and taps all premounted and only removed to be
replaced with the same size when they get dull.

Hmm ... have you looked at the Burgmaster turret drill press?

Search eBay on: "Burgmaster turret drill press"

and you will find a number, from quite reasonable prices to quite scary
prices. :-)

I learned about them because my #30 Tapmatic was marked as being
for a Burgmaster turret drill press.

The press has 6 spindles, so you can have it set up with three
drills and three taping heads -- save a lot of space vs your island of
six drill presses. :-) (Or, six tapping heads with drill-taps, if you
are making through holes.)

The first hit is auction # 172509444719

but it has only 12 hours to go, so it may be sold by the time you see
this.

If you are planning to buy six drill presses for your island,
even one of the more expensive (and in better shape) ones might be worth
your while.

Note that each spindle has its own depth stop, which makes it
good for drilling and tapping with a Tapmatic head. (I keep planning to
get one, but have not yet. :-)

Your island would make more sense if there are more workers in
your shop than just you. The turret press is better for a single
worker.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Old February 7th 17, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes that is them. About fist size and normally black.
I have a nice one that auto-reverse - haven't run it yet.

Martin

On 2/6/2017 10:45 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
Mills have a nice optional unit for tapping - auto-reverse on a set of
gears in the unit itself. It goes into jaws (or holder...) and the tap
into it's jaws.

Made just for taping.

Martin

If you are talking about a tapping head, they work just fine in drill
presses too. I have two of them in small benchtop drill presses that I
pretty much never take out. One almost always has a 10-32 spiral point tap
in it, and the other a 1/4-20 spiral flute. They are HUGE time savers if
you have to tap a bunch of holes. Adjust the clutch on a new tap so it
doesn't quite slip tappping dry. Then always tap with a drop of Tap Magic
and throw the tap away the first time it slips.

Whoever first told me about them. Thank you. I am sure it was somebody in
this group. They have saved hundreds if not thousands of hours, and a fair
number of parts that I no longer have to worry about removing broken taps
from. LOL.

On mills another tool that is sometimes used is an extension-compression
head. It doesn't auto reverse like a tapping head, but it does allow the
tap to go in further or pull back a a little if the reversing operation
isn't perfectly syncronized.

Old February 7th 17, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes - I have a TapMatic. good info Don.

On 2017-02-06, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Mills have a nice optional unit for tapping - auto-reverse on a set of
gears in the unit itself. It goes into jaws (or holder...) and the tap
into it's jaws.

Made just for taping.

Sounds like a TapMatic, or a Procunier, or even a Buck/Ridgid
Supreme VersaTapper tapping head. I have two sizes of the TapMatic, and
one of the Buck for larger taps.

They all use planetary gears to slow the speed during tapping,
and speed up during backing out.

I've fitted each with a MT-2 arbor to fit my drill press, but it
will work just as well with a cylindrical shank in a collet or tool
holder in the mill.

Mind you -- none of these are particularly affordable, new. All
of mine came from used sources, and the Buck one is out of production
anyway. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Old February 16th 17, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing
drill press. Overall I like it except that the work light isn't on
except when I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the
foot switch into the leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there
is any overriding reason not to have a foot switch on a drill press.
It's really quick for some types of job.

I walk with a cane, so I installed a footswitch about 15 years ago.
That lets me work one handed, with the added feature that if something
goes wrong just stepping back from the drill press will turn it off.
Mine is wired in series with the rocker switch for the motor, and it is
rated for 20A. This allows the light to be turned on, when it's needed.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Old February 16th 17, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I ran the big Gorton mill at Gunners to tap the little handle we made
for the height adjuster on the DP table. A knob on the VFD + an
ON_OFF_ON switch controlled the speed and direction. That was sweet.
My buddy Glenn has a VFD and speed knobs for his mill, too. It _sure_
as hell beats changing belts, the way I learned in 8th grade.

At least you learned something, in the eighth grade! ;-)

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Old February 17th 17, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:47:17 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I ran the big Gorton mill at Gunners to tap the little handle we made
for the height adjuster on the DP table. A knob on the VFD + an
ON_OFF_ON switch controlled the speed and direction. That was sweet.
My buddy Glenn has a VFD and speed knobs for his mill, too. It _sure_
as hell beats changing belts, the way I learned in 8th grade.

At least you learned something, in the eighth grade! ;-)

The other thing I learned then was not to get my tie caught in that
spinny thing on the left side of the lathe.

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

Old February 17th 17, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I ran the big Gorton mill at Gunners to tap the little handle we made
for the height adjuster on the DP table. A knob on the VFD + an
ON_OFF_ON switch controlled the speed and direction. That was sweet.
My buddy Glenn has a VFD and speed knobs for his mill, too. It _sure_
as hell beats changing belts, the way I learned in 8th grade.

At least you learned something, in the eighth grade! ;-)

The other thing I learned then was not to get my tie caught in that
spinny thing on the left side of the lathe.

Ties are only worn for weddings and funerals.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Old February 17th 17, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I ran the big Gorton mill at Gunners to tap the little handle we made
for the height adjuster on the DP table. A knob on the VFD + an
ON_OFF_ON switch controlled the speed and direction. That was sweet.
My buddy Glenn has a VFD and speed knobs for his mill, too. It _sure_
as hell beats changing belts, the way I learned in 8th grade.

At least you learned something, in the eighth grade! ;-)

The other thing I learned then was not to get my tie caught in that
spinny thing on the left side of the lathe.

Ties are only worn for weddings and funerals.

Then and now. The safety rules we were given in the '60s had last
been updated in the '50s.

Old February 17th 17, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I ran the big Gorton mill at Gunners to tap the little handle we made
for the height adjuster on the DP table. A knob on the VFD + an
ON_OFF_ON switch controlled the speed and direction. That was sweet.
My buddy Glenn has a VFD and speed knobs for his mill, too. It _sure_
as hell beats changing belts, the way I learned in 8th grade.

At least you learned something, in the eighth grade! ;-)

The other thing I learned then was not to get my tie caught in that
spinny thing on the left side of the lathe.

Ties are only worn for weddings and funerals.

Then and now. The safety rules we were given in the '60s had last
been updated in the '50s.

I've only worn a tie about three times, since 1972. That was when I
was in the Army. After that, it was for one wedding, and two funerals.
Before you ask, it wasn't for the same people.

The shop classes I took in the mid '60s stressed removing any loose
clothing, before class started. No ties, sweaters or baggy long sleeve
shirts were allowed. If a shirt was long sleeve, the cuffs had to fit
tight, and be buttoned. This was due to the fact of the metalshop and
woodshop teachers having been hired from factories.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Old February 17th 17, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

In the mid 70's I read an article that expressed surprise at the
'uniform' of a t shirt and jeans that had become standard for
engineering in small high-tech startups, I think in defiance of IBM
and Xerox. As recently as 10 years ago an article on Segway commented
on the similar 'dress code' there. I never saw anyone imitate Dean,
though.

-jsw