DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What are thread forming flat dies made of (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/585231-what-thread-forming-flat-dies-made.html)

Ignoramus31819 January 30th 17 11:00 PM

What are thread forming flat dies made of

I have a steel bin with junk, and a big part of it are thread forming
dies that are rectangle shaped. I am curious what are they usually
made of. A2/D2 or HSS?

[email protected] January 30th 17 11:04 PM

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 6:00:27 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus31819 wrote:
I have a steel bin with junk, and a big part of it are thread forming
dies that are rectangle shaped. I am curious what are they usually
made of. A2/D2 or HSS?

If you're talking about cylindrical thread-forming dies, they're high-end HSS (usually M4 or above). If they're flat dies for cold-rolling, D2. Hot-rolling dies are other tool steels; I forget which.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner Asch[_6_] February 27th 17 08:04 PM

What are thread forming flat dies made of

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 17:00:20 -0600, Ignoramus31819
wrote:

I have a steel bin with junk, and a big part of it are thread forming
dies that are rectangle shaped. I am curious what are they usually
made of. A2/D2 or HSS?

D2 or Inconel

---