Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Did gummer freeze to death, or drown in the floods

On 28/01/2017 7:01 AM, David Billington wrote:

What does an AU gun magazine comprise of, my understanding from an
Australian was the regs were similar to the UK with hand guns and rifles
restricted to professions that required them. A friend in the UK does to
black powder shooting which has risen in popularity as a result of the
increased restrictions on modern firearms here.

I used to shoot in competition, and once had probably around a dozen
firearms. By the time I moved here, had sold all but my Feinwrkbau 65
air pistol. When I learned that it would have to be imported, stored,
and treated as a firearm, and plinking in my back yard (live on the main
street) could land me in jail, I sold it too. So have virtually
zero direct knowledge of firearms here. Private non-professional
ownership is legal, at least in NSW, though tightly restricted.

Magazines feature lots of hunting articles, the usual reviews, and of
course, political discussion. There's quite a debate right now over a
particular model lever action shotgun over attempts to reclassify it as
something terribly dangerous. Reason I sent it over was the ads, you'd
be surprised what is actually advertised. Maybe I'll grab another from
the lunch room at work, scan a few ads and put up in a Google album,
share the link for y'all.

Attitudes over guns here surprise me, so many have a genuine outright
fear, as if the gun will imbue the owner with a desire to commit murder.
Not surprisingly, many Americans down here are in lock step with this.

A few weeks after arriving, the local gun club hosted an open range day,
out of curiosity I attended. Paid a modest fee, signed some paperwork,
got to shoot a Walther rapid fire pistol. The overall
atmosphere was, hmm, different to ranges in the States. Those attending
ranged from seasoned shooters, to some that declined to shoot and looked
upon the firearms with fear. Was interesting.
The paperwork registered me with the local police. I later thought with
amusement a possible reaction therein: "Typical Yank couple weeks in the
country and first thing runs off to the gun range"... lol.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 27/01/17 21:47, Jon Anderson wrote:
[...]

I lived in the states for 12 years and had a gun license in Kansas,
or at least did the gun training, it was some years ago now. I don't
have any great affinity for guns, but did enjoy the buzz off shooting
them on occasions, but didn't feal any need for them especially here in
the UK although my dad did when in the US. One of the guys at the last
company I worked for was brandishing a Feinwrkbau air rifle in the car
park and I went to talk to him out of curiosity and he said it was
perfectly legal but a slight oddity seeing some one waving one around in
daylight in the UK. I've known of other cases of people walking down
public roads with firearms classified as obsolete in the UK and causing
quite a stir due to their presence.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 28/01/2017 9:36 AM, David Billington wrote:

I lived in the states for 12 years and had a gun license in Kansas,
or at least did the gun training, it was some years ago now. I don't
have any great affinity for guns, but did enjoy the buzz off shooting
them on occasions, but didn't feal any need for them especially here in
the UK although my dad did when in the US.

I used to take 3-4 firearms down to a nearby river and plink. There was
also an uncontrolled range out of town a ways, backstops out to 200
yards. And of course have shot at controlled ranges. But the expense,
tight controls, and limited opportunities were a turnoff.

Those part of my collection was for self defense back there, no need
here. Plenty of cricket bats around the house...
And this is a town were many still leave homes unlocked during the day
while at work.

Today I prefer to do my shooting with my cameras, especially the old and
abandoned farm houses scattered throughout the countryside.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 10:43:54 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 28/01/2017 9:36 AM, David Billington wrote:

I lived in the states for 12 years and had a gun license in Kansas,
or at least did the gun training, it was some years ago now.

Did you have a concealed carry license, or just take the class, David?

I don't
have any great affinity for guns, but did enjoy the buzz off shooting
them on occasions, but didn't feal any need for them especially here in
the UK although my dad did when in the US.

I'll bet he did. Many people from lockdown countries do that. Who
doesn't like a good loud pop/bang/boom and a target paper with a hole
in it? Anywhere in it. g

I used to take 3-4 firearms down to a nearby river and plink. There was
also an uncontrolled range out of town a ways, backstops out to 200
yards. And of course have shot at controlled ranges. But the expense,
tight controls, and limited opportunities were a turnoff.

Yes, it is no longer cheap and easy to go plinking.

Those part of my collection was for self defense back there, no need
here.

Until the day you do need one. sigh

Plenty of cricket bats around the house...

At least get a gas diving speargun w/ harpoon, wot?

And this is a town were many still leave homes unlocked during the day
while at work.

Fond memories of Vista, CA when we moved there in '66.

Today I prefer to do my shooting with my cameras, especially the old and
abandoned farm houses scattered throughout the countryside.

Most of my shooting is with a digital camera, too, but I'm not
divesting myself of -any- self-defense weapons.

--
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 28/01/2017 1:48 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

At least get a gas diving speargun w/ harpoon, wot?

Why? Oh, you still live in the States. Things are different here,
at least in the country. We only lock the house if we're all away for
more than a day. In hot weather the back door is often left open.
Probably hard for many Americans to envision living in a town this safe.

I'm not up on how the law here regards use of deadly force in self
defense. Violent crime is just not a problem here (different in the big
cities of course), only 2 murders in the region in a decade.

Better things to be spending my money on, like finding a mill and a lathe.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/27/2017 12:51 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 25/01/2017 7:03 AM, wrote:

That's a really long gap for Gunner, and it's a little worrisome.

He's around, just got an email from him couple days ago. Just for grins,
I'd sent him an AU gun magazine.

You tell hims the true patriots here miss him, OK?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 14:44:56 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 28/01/2017 1:48 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

At least get a gas diving speargun w/ harpoon, wot?

Why? Oh, you still live in the States. Things are different here,
at least in the country. We only lock the house if we're all away for
more than a day. In hot weather the back door is often left open.
Probably hard for many Americans to envision living in a town this safe.

Yeah, nice while it lasts.

I'm not up on how the law here regards use of deadly force in self
defense. Violent crime is just not a problem here (different in the big
cities of course), only 2 murders in the region in a decade.

Same here in little Grants Pass until a few years ago, when crystal
meth found a toehold.

Better things to be spending my money on, like finding a mill and a lathe.

What? I thought those were in the shop cargo container you finally
retrieved.

--
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty."
Attributed to Thomas Jefferson, but Massah Ed, he doan tink it so.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm not up on how the law here regards use of deadly force in self
defense.

I'd sure want to know about that before a future attack. I firmly
consider knowledge to be insurance. As Louis Pasteur said "Chance
favors only the prepared mind."

Violent crime is just not a problem here (different in the big
cities of course), only 2 murders in the region in a decade.

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/in/Wagga-Wagga-Australia

I see that drugs have found you folks down there, too.

--
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty."
Attributed to Thomas Jefferson, but Massah Ed, he doan tink it so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25/01/2017 7:03 AM, wrote:

That's a really long gap for Gunner, and it's a little worrisome.

He's around, just got an email from him couple days ago. Just for grins,
I'd sent him an AU gun magazine.

You tell hims the true patriots here

are still running him into the ground, then piling dog**** on top.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/29/2017 4:14 PM, Bill Flett wrote:

Bonkers I seriously suspect to be dead.

Shaddup tRudey, your act is about to get DESTROYED here again:

You're the pathetic Jonathan Ball, you miserable little turdblossom!

We return you to the Jonathan Ball exhibition display:

11 years ago, while posting under this current nym, Rudy Canoza, we had a
discussion about a revised marketing claim concerning grass-fed beef from
USDA. You claimed that you had written to and received a reply from
William T.
Sessions, Associate Deputy Administrator, Livestock and Seed Program. Here
below is the post you wrote using the nym Rudy Canoza containing your
correspondence with William Sessions.

[start- Jon to me]
Eat **** and bark at the moon, Dreck - the proposed
standard has NOT been adopted. I wrote to William
Sessions, the associate deputy administrator (how's
that for a title) at the Livestock and Seed Program at
USDA that is in charge of writing the standard for the
"meat marketing claims"; his name, title and e-mail
address are at a web page whose URL I gave yesterday,
http://www.fass.org/fasstrack/news_i...p?news_id=1152

Here's his reply:

From: "Sessions, William"
To: jonball@[...]
Mr. Ball: Thanks for your message. The marketing claim
standards are still under review by USDA. Accordingly, the
standards have not been published in a final form for use. I
hope this information is helpful.
Please let me know if further information is needed.
Thanks,
William T. Sessions
Associate Deputy Administrator
Livestock and Seed Program

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25/01/2017 7:03 AM, wrote:

That's a really long gap for Gunner, and it's a little worrisome.

He's around, just got an email from him couple days ago. Just for grins,
I'd sent him an AU gun magazine.

You tell hims the true patriots here

are still running him into the ground, then piling dog**** on top.

I think you get the sledgehammer too, asshole!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/29/2017 6:47 PM, wrote:
Oh, Flakey, does your mommy let you play with fire?

I have permission to torch you, yes.

So your mommy has to give you permission

Are you 5 years old?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 11:23:06 AM UTC-5, Nereid wrote:
On 1/29/2017 6:47 PM, wrote:
Oh, Flakey, does your mommy let you play with fire?
I have permission to torch you, yes.

So your mommy has to give you permission

Are you 5 years old?

Oh, that and a lot more.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/27/2017 2:51 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:

...and it reminded me that we haven't heard from Jonny Bonkers for a
long while, as well.

SHHH......

Jon

Bonkers is in jail...again!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/27/2017 9:48 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yes, it is no longer cheap and easy to go plinking.

Costs me $2.50/box of 50 for .38, .45. .41 and .44 a bit more due to
powder cost. And, it takes me about an hour to load 400 rounds.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:48:09 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 1/27/2017 9:48 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yes, it is no longer cheap and easy to go plinking.

Costs me $2.50/box of 50 for .38, .45. .41 and .44 a bit more due to
powder cost.

Yabbut, those aren't .22 for quick/simple/light/cheap.
..45 does more than "plink", don'tcha know?

And, it takes me about an hour to load 400 rounds.

Yes, and it cost you a grand to get set up to be able to do that. The
press, dies, brass, brass tools, bullets, powder, primers, etc. If I
shot a lot, it would be worth it, but I still can't find .22 for a
reasonable price and I can't figure it out. I heard that some guys
are buying up 10k case lots, but who knows where to find those and
finance 'em.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.