DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Manufacturing Economics (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/584562-manufacturing-economics.html)

[email protected] January 17th 17 05:44 PM

Manufacturing Economics

There are a few people here who take an interest in the big picture of metalworking manufacturing -- in terms of jobs, specifically -- and who follow the discussions about globalization, automation, and so on.

For anyone interested, this article from 1996, which I don't remember reading at the time but which I strongly agreed with then, is a neck-snapper. The author was prescient; he could have written the same article last month, and people would have remarked that he has the insights:

"Start Taking the Backlash Against Globalization Seriously" by Klaus Schwab

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/01/op...seriously.html

--
Ed Huntress

Leon Fisk January 17th 17 08:57 PM

Manufacturing Economics

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:44:33 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

There are a few people here who take an interest in the
big picture of metalworking manufacturing -- in terms of
jobs, specifically -- and who follow the discussions about
globalization, automation, and so on.

For anyone interested, this article from 1996, which I
don't remember reading at the time but which I strongly
agreed with then, is a neck-snapper. The author was
prescient; he could have written the same article last
month, and people would have remarked that he has the
insights:

"Start Taking the Backlash Against Globalization Seriously" by Klaus Schwab

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/01/op...seriously.html

Interesting, but I think most peoples eyes will glaze over (the ones
who should be reading it) after two paragraphs. If you can't condense
it down to Twitter size it won't fly nowadays. Even the Pres elect
repeats EVERYTHING several times. Ugh!

Okay, now go listen to this when you get the chance. It's long but I
think you will find it fascinating. Especially their Fabtech insight:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/wttpodcast...dest-id=389991

All of their podcasts have been interesting so far. Beats anything else
on the radio...

http://wttpodcast.libsyn.com/

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

[email protected] January 17th 17 09:35 PM

Manufacturing Economics

wrote:

[...]

Articles are getting shorter. When I started writing, in the mid-70s, a typical feature was 2,200 - 2,500 words. I wrote some special reports that ran over 7,000.

Before I retired a few months ago, we were down to 1,200 - 1,500 words for a feature story.

Anyway, the striking thing about that article I linked to is how accurately he anticipated today's manufacturing situation -- and he wrote it 20 years ago.

Okay, now go listen to this when you get the chance. It's long but I
think you will find it fascinating. Especially their Fabtech insight:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/wttpodcast...dest-id=389991

Ulp! Over two hours. OK, I'll get to it soon.

--
Ed Huntress

Fred Smith[_3_] January 18th 17 12:18 AM

Manufacturing Economics

On 2017-01-17, wrote:

Articles are getting shorter. When I started writing, in the
mid-70s, a typical feature was 2,200 - 2,500 words. I wrote some
special reports that ran over 7,000.

Before I retired a few months ago, we were down to 1,200 - 1,500
words for a feature story.

The favoured thing in the Public (ie Civil) Service here is the
"two-pager."

[email protected] January 18th 17 01:05 AM

Manufacturing Economics

On 2017-01-17, wrote:

Articles are getting shorter. When I started writing, in the
mid-70s, a typical feature was 2,200 - 2,500 words. I wrote some
special reports that ran over 7,000.

Before I retired a few months ago, we were down to 1,200 - 1,500
words for a feature story.

The favoured thing in the Public (ie Civil) Service here is the
"two-pager."

With digital publishing now, words per page are all over the place. So we're back to counting words -- or letting MS Word count words.

--
Ed Huntress