Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wood splitter help

My dad acquired a wood splitter project at auction from my deceased grandfather's estate. It was incomplete. He added an engine and had it painted. It will cycle the ram to the piece of wood then stop. The pump on it my grandfather installed was a Vickers vane pump but no other markings on it other than several paten numbers.

I am assuming the pump is too small. I wanted to know what you guys think. Here is a pictu https://s15.postimg.org/wg0m9uaqz/20161124_155208.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
My dad acquired a wood splitter project at auction from my deceased
grandfather's estate. It was incomplete. He added an engine and had it
painted. It will cycle the ram to the piece of wood then stop. The
pump on it my grandfather installed was a Vickers vane pump but no
other markings on it other than several paten numbers.

I am assuming the pump is too small. I wanted to know what you guys
think. Here is a pictu
https://s15.postimg.org/wg0m9uaqz/20161124_155208.jpg

==================

The critical parts specific to a log splitter are a two-speed gear
pump and a control valve that latches in position for reverse but NOT
forward.
http://www.baileyhydraulics.com/#/log-splitter-parts

The two-speed pump automatically downshifts to 1/4 the flow rate when
the cylinder pressure reaches ~600 PSI, so it retracts and advances
quickly under light loads and doesn't stall the motor during a
difficult split. The relief valve may be part of the control valve
assembly. The pressure gauge is optional, and a weak point due to the
vibration. If you want one it should be snubbed and filled with
glycerin or the needle will vibrate into an unreadable blur.

Mine which was assembled by someone else from Northern Tool components
has a 5.5 HP engine, an L095 Lovejoy coupler, an 11 GPM pump and a
3-1/2" cylinder, which all work well together. I recently discovered
that the engine mounting plate had warped from welding and was
distorting the engine crankcase. It's flat within a few thousandths
now, thanks to an afternoon of grinding and filing.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ory_hydraulics

The plastic pump bracket #3030-1751 has enough give that the bolts
loosen, so I drilled and safety-wired them. It fits a 5.5HP Tecumseh
and the 6.5 HP Predator from HF. The advantage of a direct mount on
the engine is no side loading on the pump shaft bearings.

I can't tell if there is a strainer screen between the reservoir and
the pump inlet. I made an in-line housing for one from a 1-1/2" pipe
tee. The third opening is the drain plug.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news
"stryped" wrote in message
My dad acquired a wood splitter project ...

...The advantage of a direct mount on the engine is no side loading
on the pump shaft bearings.

--jsw

http://www.arboristsite.com/communit...litter.128511/
"You didn't say what pump you're using, but if it's a 2-stage pump
they are not designed for side loading at all. 2-stage pumps are
designed for low torque, high speed drives, shaft-to-shaft with the
engine. They use very small shafts and some of those have a snap ring
groove inside the pump, which is where they break. Then you buy a new
pump.
Many larger pumps have an outboard bearing to support the shaft and
they can be pulley driven. But I think the smallest ones use 3/4"
shafts."

Wood splitter.. not just another one. woodchucker[_3_] Woodworking 19 May 4th 14 01:00 AM
Wood splitter Steve Home Repair 18 October 30th 08 03:55 AM
Wood splitter question Steve B Home Repair 25 August 13th 06 05:09 AM
Wood Splitter? Bubba Home Repair 7 August 18th 04 03:36 AM
Building a wood splitter cheaply Don Metalworking 3 December 14th 03 02:56 PM