Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shop Vac Hoses

Is there a brand or style of shop vac hose that holds up better. I am
constantly vacuuming piles of chips out of the mill cabinets and mill table
enclosures, but my hoses just don't seem to hold up. On top of that the
corrugations in the hoses hold chips and coolant. With the smaller hoses
they can get nearly clogged up in a modestly short time. If I hose out the
chips or air blast them out of t-slots (what a mess) I still have to vacuum
them up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

Is there a brand or style of shop vac hose that holds up better. I am
constantly vacuuming piles of chips out of the mill cabinets and mill table
enclosures, but my hoses just don't seem to hold up. On top of that the
corrugations in the hoses hold chips and coolant. With the smaller hoses
they can get nearly clogged up in a modestly short time. If I hose out the
chips or air blast them out of t-slots (what a mess) I still have to vacuum
them up.

I have not used any of them (:-)) but go to www.mcmaster.com, put "duct
hose" in the search box, then click on chips and shavings in the top right
of the left hand box for their selection. Since your stuff is wet with
coolant, I think you can ignore the static suppression choices :-). Should
be able to trade some flexibility for a smoother bore and more durability.
Hopefully by recycling your current hose ends and buying generic duct hose,
maybe in a bit of qty, you can save some money over name brand shop vac
hose.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Ijames" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Carl. That's a very good start.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

P.S. I do recycle stuff and I am not afraid to throw a piece of plastic on
the lathe to change its shape if need be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/9/2016 2:19 PM, Carl Ijames wrote:

... "duct hose" ...

I had an experience with duct hose. I built a leaf vac and tried a
variety of scrounged hoses on it. The very poorest performer was duct
hose. It lasted about 20 minutes before the leaves, twigs, & bits of
this and that wore through the wall.

I was cheap, but eventually I did buy the real stuff ($7 a foot, IIRC)
and it was worth it - after 10 or 15 years it is still in use, but has a
few tears.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 11/9/2016 2:19 PM, Carl Ijames wrote:

... "duct hose" ...

I had an experience with duct hose. I built a leaf vac and tried a
variety of scrounged hoses on it. The very poorest performer was duct
hose. It lasted about 20 minutes before the leaves, twigs, & bits of this
and that wore through the wall.

I was cheap, but eventually I did buy the real stuff ($7 a foot, IIRC) and
it was worth it - after 10 or 15 years it is still in use, but has a few
tears.

Bob

The "cheap stuff" on the McMaster site is about $7 / foot if you buy 25' or
more at a time. LOL.

They actually have some rated for metal chips that sells for $9/foot in
small qty. I may try a 25' spool of that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
Thanks Carl. That's a very good start.

P.S. I do recycle stuff and I am not afraid to throw a piece of plastic on
the lathe to change its shape if need be.

You're welcome. No offense intended, I've lurked here long enough to know
that you could fab whatever was needed; that was a "confidence-builder"
sentence in case someone else was reading who had the shop vac but not the
shop yet :-).

McMaster Carr is a great place to browse when you have a "wonder if that is
available?" or "roughly how much does that cost?" question. Best online
catalog search engine on the Internet, www.mcmcaster.com.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 2:53:20 PM UTC-5, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 11/9/2016 2:19 PM, Carl Ijames wrote:

... "duct hose" ...

I had an experience with duct hose. I built a leaf vac and tried a
variety of scrounged hoses on it. The very poorest performer was duct
hose. It lasted about 20 minutes before the leaves, twigs, & bits of
this and that wore through the wall.

I was cheap, but eventually I did buy the real stuff ($7 a foot, IIRC)
and it was worth it - after 10 or 15 years it is still in use, but has a
few tears.

Bob

What is the "real stuff?" I'd like to extend my shopvac hose, but adding lengths of corrugated stuff really reduces the airflow. If I could trade some flexibility for a smoother bore, that would be worth looking at.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:nvvvm0$at8$1
@dont-email.me:

They actually have some rated for metal chips that sells for $9/foot in
small qty. I may try a 25' spool of that.

We use the static-dissipative sort (which is a 'must' for us, considering
what it is we collect!). It is MUCH stiffer and heavier, and much more
expensive than metal-chip hose.

For the most part, heavy-duty duct hoses are pretty smooth-walled.
There's still some texture in there, but not much -- usually a neoprene
material with fabric reinforcement.

And they come in 'standard' i.d.s, so fitting them up to a standard
vacuum isn't much of a deal.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/11/16 18:18, Bob La Londe wrote:
Is there a brand or style of shop vac hose that holds up better. I am
constantly vacuuming piles of chips out of the mill cabinets and mill table
enclosures, but my hoses just don't seem to hold up. On top of that the
corrugations in the hoses hold chips and coolant. With the smaller hoses
they can get nearly clogged up in a modestly short time. If I hose out the
chips or air blast them out of t-slots (what a mess) I still have to vacuum
them up.

I presume you're in the states so I don't know what brands you get
there. I have been using an Aquavac Bulldog wet/dry shop vac for about
the last 22 years and it is still on all its original bits apart from
the filter bag. I regularly vacuum up swarf and apart from the frequent
clogs from the swarf it hasn't bothered the pipe work or anything else.
Speaking to the odd person in the trade they say that they were made too
well and just latest too long, shame, so the ended production of that
model and made something cheaper.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/9/2016 2:53 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 11/9/2016 2:19 PM, Carl Ijames wrote:

... "duct hose" ...

I had an experience with duct hose. ...

I gotta' qualify that: I didn't even look at the McMaster link & just
shot off my reply when I read "duct hose". It's clear that their duct
hose is not at all what I tried. Theirs is the real stuff, assuming you
match requirements.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:

They actually have some rated for metal chips that sells for $9/foot in
small qty. I may try a 25' spool of that.

We use the static-dissipative sort (which is a 'must' for us, considering
what it is we collect!). It is MUCH stiffer and heavier, and much more
expensive than metal-chip hose.

Wow, the HD stuff on McM is $25/ft and it's 1/4" thick!

For the most part, heavy-duty duct hoses are pretty smooth-walled.
There's still some texture in there, but not much -- usually a neoprene
material with fabric reinforcement.

And they come in 'standard' i.d.s, so fitting them up to a standard
vacuum isn't much of a deal.

For swarf, or your carbon-based products? Don't you have to use an
explosion-proof vacuum system and/or motor? What about teflon/hdpe
lining, so your powders don't stick to the hose?

--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

================================================= ============

You're welcome. No offense intended, I've lurked here long enough to know
that you could fab whatever was needed; that was a "confidence-builder"
sentence in case someone else was reading who had the shop vac but not the
shop yet :-).

McMaster Carr is a great place to browse when you have a "wonder if that is
available?" or "roughly how much does that cost?" question. Best online
catalog search engine on the Internet, www.mcmcaster.com.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

My most used shop vac is the one inside the door of the laundry room
where among other things it is used to clean the dryer lint trap. It
is a "TECO Master Shop-vac" (TECO + T. Eaton Co.) I bought it five
years ago, in its original box for $5.00 at a yard sale. The seller
mentioned that no one seemed interested since it was not labeled
wet/dry. On dissassembly I found that it was stamped "Aug.21 1971". I
installed a modified thrift store vacuum bag over the original cloth
filter to enhance its discharge quality. Second son says that it
really SUCKS!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Don't you have to use an
explosion-proof vacuum system and/or motor? What about teflon/hdpe
lining, so your powders don't stick to the hose?

We use air-powered vacuums, and WASH the hoses out after every shift.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 20:58:26 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Don't you have to use an
explosion-proof vacuum system and/or motor? What about teflon/hdpe
lining, so your powders don't stick to the hose?

We use air-powered vacuums,

With anti-static brass or carbon shafting and vanes, I'd guess?
I've seen the little compressor-air-powered vacs for small high vacuum
use, and they take a good 10hp to run. I'm guessing yours are much
larger and the compressed air runs a turbine of sorts for considerably
more CFM of medium vacuum.

and WASH the hoses out after every shift.

I suppose that creates hazmat water which has to be disposed of
properly.

I suppose your entire facility and grounds are a non-smoking area, as
well.

--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.
--P.J. O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

With anti-static brass or carbon shafting and vanes, I'd guess?

Venturi types... no moving parts.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

I suppose your entire facility and grounds are a non-smoking area, as
well.

All 16000 acres, except for two 80' square, fenced-off compounds on the
border fence.

(Oh! You meant MY 20 acres! grin Not the whole of it, no; but ALL of
the shop area is non-smoking, non-ignition-source territory.)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Tecos are really..really good vacs

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Slightly OT, but in the last years I've built both a dust collection system for the polishing wheels in my shop, and an exhaust hood for my kitchen. Unhappy with the prices and designs of existing products, I set out do kludge something together myself. I ended up getting the hose from an Ebay shop specializing in a certain type of indoor agriculture, where the crop gives off a pungent odor which must be filtered. The hose was of decent quality, and much cheaper than what the industrial suppliers were asking. Don't know if this helps, but it's amazing what alternatives can be out there if you look hard enough.