Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is it? (Amateur version Post #14)

Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tools thread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn

POST14_TOOL53. This steel tool is approximately 6½ inches long. The serrated projections on the bowl-like end are sharp but not razor sharp. The inner hole of the bowl is also sharp.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o77kzu34v...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST14_TOOL54. This metal tool is approximately 4½ inches long in the closed position. It creates two cylinders with inner diameters of approximately 3/8 of an inch. There are numbers, warnings and a name stamped into the metal. I have hidden them in the pictures but will provide them as hints if the tool is not recognized.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/94y3nq5abe...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST14_TOOL55. This tool is clearly in the metal plyers family. It is almost 8 inches long. The jaws have a rubbery red plastic coating. The set screw can be adjusted to limit the closed position of the jaws anywhere from a ½ inch gap to fully closed. The jaws do not open wider than 1 inch. The edges of the jaws are concave/convex.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjcdqoscds..._PIC1.jpg?dl=0

POST14_TOOL56. These two metal tools are approximately 3 inches long. They both have removable screw-on parts on one of their ends with holes passing through them. There is a small cavity inside each even when they are fully screwed on. They both have solid points at the other end. The black steel point on the end of the brass one is removable as well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 6, 2016 at 6:08:22 PM UTC-5, Larry Flynn wrote:
[...]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dhvg8rhly...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 6, 2016 at 6:12:39 PM UTC-5, Larry Flynn wrote:
[...]

The last ones are plumb bobs for a transit. I have one of them for my brass transit, ca 1900.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 15:08:19 -0800 (PST), Larry Flynn
wrote:

Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tools thread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn

POST14_TOOL53. This steel tool is approximately 6 inches long. The serrated projections on the bowl-like end are sharp but not razor sharp. The inner hole of the bowl is also sharp.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o77kzu34v...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST14_TOOL54. This metal tool is approximately 4 inches long in the closed position. It creates two cylinders with inner diameters of approximately 3/8 of an inch. There are numbers, warnings and a name stamped into the metal. I have hidden them in the pictures but will provide them as hints if the tool is not recognized.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/94y3nq5abe...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST14_TOOL55. This tool is clearly in the metal plyers family. It is almost 8 inches long. The jaws have a rubbery red plastic coating. The set screw can be adjusted to limit the closed position of the jaws anywhere from a inch gap to fully closed. The jaws do not open wider than 1 inch. The edges of the jaws are concave/convex.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjcdqoscds..._PIC1.jpg?dl=0

POST14_TOOL56. These two metal tools are approximately 3 inches long. They both have removable screw-on parts on one of their ends with holes passing through them. There is a small cavity inside each even when they are fully screwed on. They both have solid points at the other end. The black steel point on the end of the brass one is removable as well.

53 is a chalk marker. It perforates through a pattern into (usually)
fabric and allows chalk dust to mark the cloth.

#54 is a fuel line quick connect tool to disconnect quick-connect
lines. Looks like a Lisle. I have a couple in my tool box.
\
#55 is an adjustable gripping pliers. The thumb screw limits how far
the pliers can close - the padded jaws protect the work

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

#55 are glazier's pliers. They are used to put pressure on the score line on
a piece of glass.

Paul K. Dickman

#55 are glazier's pliers. They are used to put pressure on the score line on
a piece of glass.

Paul K. Dickman

#55 are glazier's pliers. They are used to put pressure on the score line on
a piece of glass.

Paul K. Dickman

That's where I've seen them!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-11-06, Larry Flynn wrote:

Here is another post in my amateur ?What is it?? tools thread. As
usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and
how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.

L. Flynn

[ ... some snipped ]

POST14_TOOL55. This tool is clearly in the metal plyers? family. It is
almost 8 inches long. The jaws have a rubbery red plastic coating. The
set screw can be adjusted to limit the closed position of the jaws
anywhere from a inch gap to fully closed. The jaws do not open
wider than 1 inch. The edges of the jaws are concave/convex.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjcdqoscds..._PIC1.jpg?dl=0

O.K. I can try a guess at these. I would suggest that they are
for breaking glass along a scribed line. The plastic coating is to
prevent chipping the glass from the force of the jaws.

BTW -- it should be "pliers" not "plyers". :-)

POST14_TOOL56. These two metal tools are approximately 3 inches long.
They both have removable screw-on parts on one of their ends with holes
passing through them. There is a small cavity inside each even when they
are fully screwed on. They both have solid points at the other end. The
black steel point on the end of the brass one is removable as well.

No URL present for this, but I've tried modifying the previous
one, but that does not work. Changing the "TOOL55" to "TOOL56" coes not
work, apparently the scrambled alphanumerics between the "/s/" and the
"Post14" are some sort of key.

However, at a guess, from the description, I would suggest that
these are a pair of trammels -- designed to clamp onto a ruler (or a
yardstick) to act like a pair of dividers, but with a greater distance
between the points.

Or perhaps plumb bobs, where the screw-in part accepts the line
and a knot retains it in the remaining cavity.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-11-06, Larry Flynn wrote:
On Sunday, November 6, 2016 at 6:08:22 PM UTC-5, Larry Flynn wrote:

POST14_TOOL56. These two metal tools are approximately 3 inches long.
They both have removable screw-on parts on one of their ends with holes
passing through them. There is a small cavity inside each even when they
are fully screwed on. They both have solid points at the other end. The
black steel point on the end of the brass one is removable as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dhvg8rhly...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

O.K. Now that I can see the images, they are plumb bobs, not
trammels.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is it? (Amateur version Post #14) SPOILER

Thanks for the posts. Three of the four have been identified. The answers for all four are at the end of this post.
L. Flynn

[...]

POST14_TOOL53. Hand-held coconut scraper/grater.
POST14_TOOL54. Quick fuel line disconnect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRTjYAxvaCs
http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an..._0_0/?cmpid=PS
POST14_TOOL55. Glass pane grips, Glass running pliers, Glaziers pliers.
http://distributionsvimac.com/Catalogue.php?NO=A05-A131
6 minutes in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTHs2wLQpAs
POST14_TOOL56. Plumb line bobs.