Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 07:08:39 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On 20 Nov 2016 22:55:43 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 06:47:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

Nope! a B&W CRT about 12" diagonal. 80x24 characters.

[ ... ]

I still have an ADM-3 terminal, along with some color
Tektronix
terminals. None have been used in over 15 years.

I still have my ASR-33 for the post-EMP Internet.

Do you think they'll survive it? I guess the ASR-33 may, because
they
are purely mechanical with NO switches. Not so, the ADM-3.

The ASR-33 *does* have switches -- *lots* of them, in the

Newp, just "contacts". vbg

I bought extra dozens of 5x8 and 8.5x11 lined note pads for
post-EMP
times. Those and extra mechanical pencils. They could double as
gifts from the primitive race to the aliens in exchange for an
AutoDoc
and a ton of medical nannites, whenever that happens.

:-)

What are the odds that the aliens would have nannites tailored
for the human race? :-)

When they see our cute and primitive writing tools, they'll make
them
specially for us. Remember, THEY are the advanced race.

IT'S A COOKBOOK!!!

I remember that episode,'To Serve Man'. LOL! One Step Beyond,
right? Watched it religiously, along with Twilight Zone, Outer
Limits, and all the Star Treks. I'm seriously hoping we meet much
more neutral and friendly aliens, and that they're waiting for us to
outgrow the warlike stage (which we've been in for far too long)
before they contact us.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

http://librebood.com/libre/C.%20Arthur%20Clarke/Childhood's%20End%20(1796)/Childhood's%20End%20-%20C.%20Arthur%20Clarke.pdf

That and "The Sentinel" (alien beacon) were combined into "2001".

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news
[...]

The close race to the moon really happened but we didn't know since
the Soviets wouldn't admit failure.
http://jalopnik.com/this-insane-rock...e-i-1448356326

Chief Designer Korolev didn't use a few large rocket engines because
the only man who could provide them had put Korolev in the Gulag.
--jsw

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Want to bet that (some) aliens are as warlike as we are?

---

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 06:47:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

On Earth the land predators have their eyes in front for depth
perception when they pounce, and the prey more on the sides to keep
watch all around.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

IT'S A COOKBOOK!!!

It's an Interociter!

http://www.crackle.com/mystery-science-theatre-3000---the-movie?cmpid=3322&utm_source=googleadwords&utm_medi um=ppc&utm_campaign=sitelink&gclid=CMyuhsbzutACFUk jgQodeFkNng

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I can see it now. They come in at night and sniff around the west
and notice the 'normal' smell is Slow cookers making smoke.

So they create fake smoke thinking it will hide them in the wilds.

Come out and check out Area 51. Wolf pack jumps them and they are
gone. Those left head to the latest safe boat they know!

Martin

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 06:47:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I'm clinging to my guns, religion and copper pair. The Telco business
office wants me to switch to fiber but the repairmen understand why I
don't.

Is it copper all the way to the C.O.? Most places are fiber, until
the last mile. It is a mile from my network interface, to the point
where it transitions into fiber. It's the same with the Internet and
CATV, via 'Fiber Enhanced Cable TV'. Instead of the old 7/8" supertrunk
system that was used from the '70s & '80s, it is a bundle of fiber optic
cables.

A supertrunk is just that. A long coaxial cable with amplifiers, but
no bridging amplifiers, or drops. It is often run alongside
conventional distribution to improve the signal quality at the extreme
ends of a CATV system

When I built my homebrew computer I used the 2125 / 2975 RTTY standard

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 11:25:11 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The movies in Clarke's 200x series were the only ones never understood
by a single person outside of Clarke himself, including the director.
Did you read about Kubrick's letter to him about 2010? ROTFLMAO!
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...gm-letter-fake

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

If they were, we probably wouldn't be alive. shrug

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 06:47:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

What about 3-legged aliens with eyes on stalks?
Or those with gripping hands?

Authors Niven and Pournelle.

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 06:47:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

I specified land predators. Marine invertebrates are -very- different.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

IIRC, the Monolith was a stargate to its creators' realm, 150 light
years away which is why the habitable space they created for Bowman
had Louis XVI furniture from 150 years in our past. After evolving to
the next stage he returned immediately because they no longer needed
stargates to travel.

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

What do we have that they would want? Iphones???

---

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

We could supply them with Liberals, for their zoos...

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 06:47:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Jellybeans, the perfect concentrated food for long space voyages.
They've been quietly observing us for centuries to catch us planting
them and then steal some seeds.

The scout who tried to pass off lima and soybean seeds instead now
hangs on the Emperor's trophy wall, permanently immobilized in tofu..

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques

wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 06:47:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

If the aliens can discover why their brain cells never mature perhaps
we can apply that to other organs to slow ageing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Want to bet that (some) aliens are as warlike as we are?

On Earth the land predators have their eyes in front for depth
perception when they pounce, and the prey more on the sides to keep
watch all around.

What about 3-legged aliens with eyes on stalks?
Or those with gripping hands?

Authors Niven and Pournelle.

I specified land predators. Marine invertebrates are -very- different.

Whoza fish? Pierson's Puppeteers certainly weren't. Did we catch you
before your first cuppa this morning, Jim?

Oh, I had forgotten that the moties had no spine. But critters with
lungs, arms, and legs aren't marine invertebrates in my book.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
--Thomas Sowell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You wrote:
Want to bet that (some) aliens are as warlike as we are?

If they were, we probably wouldn't be alive. shrug

What do we have that they would want? Iphones???

By going into space, we may be perceived as a threat to the more
warlike aliens. It's a good thing that rumor has it that a nicer
species will be visiting us here.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
--Thomas Sowell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 07:15:47 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Gunner asked:
What do we have that they would want? Iphones???

We could supply them with Liberals, for their zoos...

If the aliens can discover why their brain cells never mature perhaps
we can apply that to other organs to slow ageing.

Egad, let's not allow aliens to put Liberals in zoos, where they would
have a chance to spout their **** to young aliens as they have done to
our own children. Bio-research animal? That's it! We've finally
found a practical use for Liberals in our society.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
--Thomas Sowell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 07:07:09 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news

What do we have that they would want? Iphones???

Jellybeans, the perfect concentrated food for long space voyages.
They've been quietly observing us for centuries to catch us planting
them and then steal some seeds.

Why don't they go to the store and grab a bag of Reagan's fave, Jelly
Belly Jellybeans?

The scout who tried to pass off lima and soybean seeds instead now
hangs on the Emperor's trophy wall, permanently immobilized in tofu..

Ditto goes for the one who gives them Hogwarts Jelly Beans.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
--Thomas Sowell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 07:08:39 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
newsjs43c18q93gpkf7p5e7ug218r76g3p24a@4ax. com...

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques

wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 06:47:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunice_aphroditois

http://www.seasky.org/deep-sea/giant-isopod.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagfish

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news

What do we have that they would want? Iphones???

Jellybeans, the perfect concentrated food for long space voyages.
They've been quietly observing us for centuries to catch us planting
them and then steal some seeds.

Why don't they go to the store and grab a bag of Reagan's fave,
Jelly
Belly Jellybeans?

They can only gather them on Halloween and the yield inexplicably
vanishes on the long journey home.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
m...

Want to bet that (some) aliens are as warlike as we are?

On Earth the land predators have their eyes in front for depth
perception when they pounce, and the prey more on the sides to
keep
watch all around.

What about 3-legged aliens with eyes on stalks?
Or those with gripping hands?

Authors Niven and Pournelle.

I specified land predators. Marine invertebrates are -very-
different.

Whoza fish? Pierson's Puppeteers certainly weren't. Did we catch
you
before your first cuppa this morning, Jim?

Oh, I had forgotten that the moties had no spine. But critters with
lungs, arms, and legs aren't marine invertebrates in my book.

You do realize that the Mote and Ringworld are fiction, right?
Although the imaginary creatures do have some basis in Earth biology:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilobozoa

Pournelle and Niven are real scientists who contributed to US space
policy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens'_Advisory_Council_on_National_Space_Polic y

" Years later I heard straight from a senior Soviet advisor that the
U.S. SDI had been the straw that broke the back of the military's hold
on foreign policy. That seems to be the consensus now among the
diplomatic community, though politically SDI is a common whipping boy,
its funding cut."

I've heard the same privately from Russian sources after they were
freed from parroting the Party Line.

IIRC Pournelle credited these members as being the most influential:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Thomas_Possony
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_Hunter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_X._Kane
"The book "Strategy of Technology" (1970) sets forth the doctrine
flowing from the early plans developed by Project Forecast and the
development and deployment of the Intercontinental Ballistic Missile
(ICBM) system. Initially, Kane was unnamed in the 1970 publication of
the book. Stefan T. Possony and Jerry Pournelle were able to later add
Colonel Kane's attribution in 1972 after he retired (1970)."

--jsw

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Ooooooh!! I like the way you think!!!

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You wrote:
Want to bet that (some) aliens are as warlike as we are?

If they were, we probably wouldn't be alive. shrug

What do we have that they would want? Iphones???

By going into space, we may be perceived as a threat to the more
warlike aliens. It's a good thing that rumor has it that a nicer
species will be visiting us here.

We aren't a credible threat as long as we depend on hopelessly
inefficient chemical rockets.

However.....
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...space-science/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Gunner asked:
What do we have that they would want? Iphones???

We could supply them with Liberals, for their zoos...

If the aliens can discover why their brain cells never mature perhaps
we can apply that to other organs to slow ageing.

Egad, let's not allow aliens to put Liberals in zoos, where they would
have a chance to spout their **** to young aliens as they have done to
our own children. Bio-research animal? That's it! We've finally
found a practical use for Liberals in our society.

"Save a monkey, use a liberal!"

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 16:24:53 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
om...

Want to bet that (some) aliens are as warlike as we are?

On Earth the land predators have their eyes in front for depth
perception when they pounce, and the prey more on the sides to
keep
watch all around.

What about 3-legged aliens with eyes on stalks?
Or those with gripping hands?

Authors Niven and Pournelle.

I specified land predators. Marine invertebrates are -very-
different.

Whoza fish? Pierson's Puppeteers certainly weren't. Did we catch
you
before your first cuppa this morning, Jim?

Oh, I had forgotten that the moties had no spine. But critters with
lungs, arms, and legs aren't marine invertebrates in my book.

You do realize that the Mote and Ringworld are fiction, right?

Many people think aliens are, too. We'll know soon enough.

[...]

I'll check those out.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
--Thomas Sowell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

We could supply them with Liberals, for their zoos...

Ooooooh!! I like the way you think!!!

I do have my moments.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You wrote:
Want to bet that (some) aliens are as warlike as we are?

If they were, we probably wouldn't be alive. shrug

What do we have that they would want? Iphones???

By going into space, we may be perceived as a threat to the more
warlike aliens. It's a good thing that rumor has it that a nicer
species will be visiting us here.

We aren't a credible threat as long as we depend on hopelessly
inefficient chemical rockets.

However.....
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...space-science/

EM and Ion drives putting out a milliNewton per kilowatt arne't going
to get us intergalactic any time soon. They're as practical as the
new solar clothing.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
--Thomas Sowell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

We could supply them with Liberals, for their zoos...

If the aliens can discover why their brain cells never mature perhaps
we can apply that to other organs to slow aging.

Did you ever consider that most of their brain cells are just
placebos that were put there as spacers, just to keep their skulls from
imploding?

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 22:20:36 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message

news:3jm63c99nniivom0j7abmvn2q0jhc5ei59@4ax. com...

[...]

"The Strategy of Technology" is on line he
http://www.jerrypournelle.com/slowchange/Strat.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
You wrote:
Want to bet that (some) aliens are as warlike as we are?

If they were, we probably wouldn't be alive. shrug

What do we have that they would want? Iphones???

By going into space, we may be perceived as a threat to the more
warlike aliens. It's a good thing that rumor has it that a nicer
species will be visiting us here.

We aren't a credible threat as long as we depend on hopelessly
inefficient chemical rockets.

However.....
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...space-science/

EM and Ion drives putting out a milliNewton per kilowatt arne't
going
to get us intergalactic any time soon. They're as practical as the
new solar clothing.

Steam engines needed a century to become light enough to power
practical vehicles.

--N. Cugnot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 19:01:47 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"The Strategy of Technology" is on line he
http://www.jerrypournelle.com/slowchange/Strat.html

Excellent. Mandatory for war colleges, etc. Must be good.
I love his Iron Law of Bureaucracy restated.
"...in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of
people: those who work to further the actual goals of the
organization, and those who work for the organization itself. Examples
in education would be teachers who work and sacrifice to teach
children, vs. union representatives who work to protect any teacher
including the most incompetent. The Iron Law states that in all cases,
the second type of person will always gain control of the
organization, and will always write the rules under which the
organization functions."

I think it's more true today than when he wrote it. sigh

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
--Thomas Sowell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..

[ ... ]

Want to bet that (some) aliens are as warlike as we are?

On Earth the land predators have their eyes in front for depth
perception when they pounce, and the prey more on the sides to keep
watch all around.

What about 3-legged aliens with eyes on stalks?
Or those with gripping hands?

Authors Niven and Pournelle.

How about Keith Laumer's "Retif" stories. The little aliens
with eyes on stalks were rather fragile. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Want to bet that (some) aliens are as warlike as we are?

On Earth the land predators have their eyes in front for depth
perception when they pounce, and the prey more on the sides to keep
watch all around.

What about 3-legged aliens with eyes on stalks?
Or those with gripping hands?

Authors Niven and Pournelle.

How about Keith Laumer's "Retif" stories. The little aliens
with eyes on stalks were rather fragile. :-)

Sci-fi & Comedy. I like his writing style.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 02:04:12 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Want to bet that (some) aliens are as warlike as we are?

On Earth the land predators have their eyes in front for depth
perception when they pounce, and the prey more on the sides to keep
watch all around.

What about 3-legged aliens with eyes on stalks?
Or those with gripping hands?

Authors Niven and Pournelle.

How about Keith Laumer's "Retif" stories. The little aliens
with eyes on stalks were rather fragile. :-)

The Groaci

(Grin)

Sci-fi & Comedy. I like his writing style.

Surely everyone here has read those wonderful novels....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jame_Retief

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Want to bet that (some) aliens are as warlike as we are?

On Earth the land predators have their eyes in front for depth
perception when they pounce, and the prey more on the sides to keep
watch all around.

What about 3-legged aliens with eyes on stalks?
Or those with gripping hands?

Authors Niven and Pournelle.

How about Keith Laumer's "Retif" stories. The little aliens
with eyes on stalks were rather fragile. :-)

The Groaci

(Grin)

Sci-fi & Comedy. I like his writing style.

Surely everyone here has read those wonderful novels....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jame_Retief

---

Goodness! As well as robbing storage suites he actually reads a book.
A real multi tasking individual is here before us.

Or perhaps just a liar?

Perhaps he could start a web site, "What I did at that the junk yard
today", or maybe, "Lies I told today".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:
On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 3:26:00 PM UTC-5, Cydrome Leader wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:
On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 9:46:23 AM UTC-5, Michael Terrell wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
I used the Brady printed labels, and covered them with clear heat
shrink.

When I made cable harnesses for the batch of electric cars [the
customer] paid to have us label each wire with printed heatshrink
labels:
https://www.brother-usa.com/mobile/l...able_wire.aspx

I've used a fine Sharpie on paper labels for home projects but the
writing diffuses and fades under clear adhesive tape.

I switched to clear heatshrink, before the mid '80s. I was using it
on my shop cables, to stop people from claiming that they had brought
cables with equipment, when they didn't. I would type on address labels,
then trim and wrap them on the cable before applying the heatshrink
tubing. The labels had a description, and the date that they were made.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

You wouldn't be using that in Bell System (Verizon) central offices. You would fail inspection. According to Bellcore standards, ALL cables must be labeled at each end with flag-type labels which can be read from any direction without disconnecting the cable. I spend a few years designing and supervising the installation of colocation equipment for AT&T. I watched as two cages full of equipment were relabeled at one site.

Good idea? Maybe, maybe not. But it's their building, and if you're gonna put your stuff in it, it has to follow their rules.

ILEC telco folks seem to do the best wiring and labelling. It's union work
here, so nobody is in a hurry and there's no incentive to cut corners and
save money. There's no next billable job to move onto. Notice I said ILEC
though. There are lots of contractors involved on the phone network these
days and as you shift to the data side of stuff, things get uglier in
practive.

It's union work here too (NY, NJ CT). Of the 50 or so offices I was in, only one time did I have any issues with the union. They insisted on doing everything, with me touching nothing. They took instructions very well, and did everything right, but it was hands-off for me. In all of the other shops, the union guys didn't care at all who did the actual work. They would do it or I would do it or we would do it together. I learned a lot from those guys.

That's the thing- if you do any work they can you're essentially breaking
the union, and that's a big deal.

The most fascinating union only type job here in Chicago is the freight
elevator operator in high rise buildings. It's usually a guy with a stick
that presses buttons for you, from the comfort of his chair. since you're
not allowed to, because it's a union building and elevator. Some even have
complete offices with desks and radios and TV setup in the elevator. If
they're out to lunch or on break, everybody just has to wait. These jobs
seem to be going away as these guys retire though.

Originally the old elevators didn't automatically stop on each floor and
the operator ran some sort of crank that looked like it was taken from a
train. I last saw one of those in operation about 10 years ago, but hey,
you can't eliminate a job once those fancy buttons get installed.