Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air- acetylene torch?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 20:28:25 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I found this torch at the dump. I think that it's air-acetylene, but
I'd like your opinion.

There's no name on it, but the handle is steel and might have had a
sleeve with a name on it. The middle piece is the nozzle, stamped with
a "3". Its diameter is about .013. There was significant carbon inside
- acetylene burn back?

It's curious that there is no shut-off.

The hose thread is left handed.

Thanks,
Bob

http://tinypic.com/r/2vvkrro/9

You only have part of the torch. The mixer and valve body is missing.

I have drawers full of that sort of stuff..all one-off stuff that
there is unlikely to be parts ever found for it.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/21/2016 8:53 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
You only have part of the torch. The mixer and valve body is missing.

I don't think so ... the very end of the torch has holes in it for
drawing in air. Unless oxy-acet also does that. Also, there was a hose
attached directly to it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 11:58:42 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 9/21/2016 8:53 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
You only have part of the torch. The mixer and valve body is missing.

I don't think so ... the very end of the torch has holes in it for
drawing in air. Unless oxy-acet also does that. Also, there was a hose
attached directly to it.

Which end of the torch? Based on your photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vvkrro&s=9

there are no holes visible. Now it could be an air/acet torch, many
plumbers carry that sort. I have several. But the handle has to
screw into something that is adjustable.

Many older rigs looked like this:

http://www.johndyerco.com/STORAGE/AcetyleneAirTorch.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=air/...=802# imgrc=_

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/21/2016 8:53 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
You only have part of the torch. The mixer and valve body is missing.

I don't think so ... the very end of the torch has holes in it for
drawing in air. Unless oxy-acet also does that. Also, there was a hose
attached directly to it.

Which end of the torch? Based on your photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vvkrro&s=9

there are no holes visible. Now it could be an air/acet torch, many
plumbers carry that sort. I have several.

For which you have no use. It's just more worthless junk making it
impossible for you to clear out and move to a place where you could earn
a living.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/21/2016 8:53 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
You only have part of the torch. The mixer and valve body is missing.

I don't think so ... the very end of the torch has holes in it for
drawing in air. Unless oxy-acet also does that. Also, there was a hose
attached directly to it.

It is a "plumber's torch" and it is all there except (posswibly) the
valve (that the hose connects to)..

Generically known as "prestolite torch"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/21/2016 8:53 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
You only have part of the torch. The mixer and valve body is missing.

I don't think so ... the very end of the torch has holes in it for
drawing in air. Unless oxy-acet also does that. Also, there was a hose
attached directly to it.

Which end of the torch? Based on your photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vvkrro&s=9

there are no holes visible. Now it could be an air/acet torch, many
plumbers carry that sort. I have several. But the handle has to
screw into something that is adjustable.

Many older rigs looked like this:

http://www.johndyerco.com/STORAGE/AcetyleneAirTorch.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=air/...=802# imgrc=_

---

Looks an awful lot like an old smith - minus the valve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/21/2016 8:53 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
You only have part of the torch. The mixer and valve body is missing.

I don't think so ... the very end of the torch has holes in it for
drawing in air. Unless oxy-acet also does that. Also, there was a hose
attached directly to it.

Which end of the torch? Based on your photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vvkrro&s=9

there are no holes visible. Now it could be an air/acet torch, many
plumbers carry that sort. I have several. But the handle has to
screw into something that is adjustable.

Many older rigs looked like this:

http://www.johndyerco.com/STORAGE/AcetyleneAirTorch.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=air/...=802# imgrc=_

---

Looks an awful lot like an old smith - minus the valve.

That would be my bet. Not half bad shape though. Just missing the
valve..which can be installed.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/22/2016 4:50 PM, wrote:
It is a "plumber's torch" and it is all there except (posswibly) the
valve (that the hose connects to)..

Generically known as "prestolite torch"

Well, I got the "B" fitting that I needed for my regulator & hooked it up.

http://imgur.com/a/SFIAd

the flame is actually blue & yellow)

I had done a Google/images search & saw the "Prestolites", but they
weren't exactly the same. Mainly the air intake on the Presolites is at
the beginning of the burn tube & mine is at the end. And I have no shut
off.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The torch may have been used in a production setting with a valve
similar to this: http://store.cyberweld.com/smithgasaver.html

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 21:23:43 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

The torch may have been used in a production setting with a valve
similar to this: http://store.cyberweld.com/smithgasaver.html

Which is why I said "possibly" missing the valve.