Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default minor gloat CO2 tank

On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 16:56:59 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Oh yeah..we are doing this together. Im a bit past her..but we are
working with each other.

Gunner

That's hyooge. You are each and both more likely to succeed that way.
Who will be the first weakling to fail (not I, goddamnit, and not
you, you can kick Mr. Butt's butt) and so on.

I won't say best of luck because luck has nothing to do with it; what
gets it done is the intelligence to understand what must be done and
the will to do it all the way until it's done -- "done" here meaning
that not having a smoke become a no-brainer rather than yet another
bitchy inch in a long low crawl uphill under fire.

It keeps getting easier as time goes on.

One device I used for awhile was the "gun of the month club"; I
could just about buy a new handgun every month with the money I no
longer spent on tobacco. Not quite, but pretty close. Smokes now
cost twice what they did then ... but so do handguns. I eventually
pretty much quit buying handguns lest I need to start buying
safes...and then houses to keep them in.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 16:56:59 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 08:03:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 03:41:26 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 22:43:18 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

CABG's (cardiac arterial bypass grafts) are not categorically "only
good for 5-7 years". PLenty of people are walking around 20+ years
post CABG.

The problem is that many who have such surgery continue the lifestyles
that contributed to their needing it, so the likelihood of blockages
recurring for them is somewhere between high and certain.

I had quintuple CABG over 8 years ago. After a recent annual routine
checkup my cardiologist told me I can (and should) do anything I want,
and let's make the interval between checkups two years rather than
one. I feel better now than I did 7 years ago.

My cardiac ejection fraction six months post op was about 25%. Normal
is in the neighborhood of 50%. I was told then that was about as good
as it would ever get for me. Now, 8 years later, my last checkup
showed that my e.f. is about 45%, nearly normal.

Lifestyle changes: nothing major other than I quit smoking the day of
my surgery and have not had a puff since. I pay reasonable but not
fanatic attention to healthy diet: I fry my fish in butter and I
enjoy red meat a couple of times a week. I get off my butt to walk
briskly for awhile most days but I'm certainly no hero beyond that.

Excellent news, Don. And butter is a hell of a lot better for you
than that hydrogenated margarine poison. I use 2:1 coconut oil with
butter, melted just enough to blend. It's tasty and my omelets come
out nicely browned, crisp, and tasty. Try it. (You, too, Gunner)

We use coconut oil almost exclusivly and have for decades. But thanks
for thinking of me!

I hope it's virgin rather than the processed crap. Costco had 54oz
jugs for $18, so it's cheaper than the processed stuff at the store,
and much, much better for you.

And Ive not had a cigarette in 18 hours. Getting better.

Most Excellent, DUUUUUDE. Congrats. The first couple days are the
worst, so you're well on your way to smoke-free nirvana. (Talked the
old lady into quitting yet?) When you feel like a cig, walk outside,
take several deep, deep breaths, chanting the Money Hum (Om mani padme
hum) during each, and walk back inside. Worked for me. LOL

Oh yeah..we are doing this together. Im a bit past her..but we are
working with each other.

Awesome! Congrats to both, and please pass on my kudos to her, too.

--
All of us want to do well. But if we do not do
good, too, then doing well will never be enough.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Oh yeah..we are doing this together. Im a bit past her..but we are
working with each other.

Gunner

That's hyooge. You are each and both more likely to succeed that way.
Who will be the first weakling to fail (not I, goddamnit, and not
you, you can kick Mr. Butt's butt) and so on.

I won't say best of luck because luck has nothing to do with it; what
gets it done is the intelligence to understand what must be done and
the will to do it all the way until it's done -- "done" here meaning
that not having a smoke become a no-brainer rather than yet another
bitchy inch in a long low crawl uphill under fire.

It's a simple decision. I'm glad they made it. Once you truly make
it, it's not hard to abide by. The hardest part is not to let your
old habit make you pick up and light one without your conscious mind
being involved.

My neighbor quit for a week and then, for the 4th time in her life,
started smoking again. So disappointing. The time in the hospital
cleaned her out and she knew she's heal quicker without the chemicals
in her body, but she went back anyway. That's a disgusting habit.

It keeps getting easier as time goes on.

One device I used for awhile was the "gun of the month club"; I
could just about buy a new handgun every month with the money I no
longer spent on tobacco. Not quite, but pretty close. Smokes now
cost twice what they did then ... but so do handguns. I eventually
pretty much quit buying handguns lest I need to start buying
safes...and then houses to keep them in.

I hope you're stocked up for TEOTWAWKI, too.

--
All of us want to do well. But if we do not do
good, too, then doing well will never be enough.
-- Anna Quindlen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

In my case, after a couple people died and the sin tax went sky high,
I determined to quit and went on the patch. Being a bullheaded SOB and
with a whole lot of luck I haven't had a smoke since April 23 1993.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Congrats, Gerry. My end-use dates: alcohol in '85, tobacco in '88, and
TV in '05. I'm working on politics now. It's a ghastly disease.

--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 06:42:04 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

My end-use dates: alcohol in '85, tobacco in '88, and
TV in '05. I'm working on politics now. It's a ghastly disease.

Too bad you can't quit knuckledragging.

Minor Gloat [email protected] Metalworking 35 January 9th 15 01:37 PM
minor gloat and what to do with it? Frank Boettcher Woodworking 8 April 1st 07 01:42 AM
Minor gloat Phil Laird Woodworking 6 September 13th 05 11:40 PM
very minor gloat. Badger Woodworking 0 March 9th 05 11:04 PM
minor gloat Gotcha Woodworking 0 November 7th 04 11:55 PM