Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Retired!

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 10:41:42 -0700, Rudy Canoza
wrote:

On 9/15/2016 9:49 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 09:29:12 -0700, Rudy Canoza
wrote:

On 9/13/2016 3:23 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 22:28:43 -0700, Rudy Canoza
wrote:

On 9/12/2016 6:29 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:29:52 -0700, Hot Coals
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 15:39:29 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough.

Congrats!

Thanks. I'll tell you if it was a good idea in a few months. d8-)

Work is work, and there's a reason we have to be paid to do any (much)
of it for someone else. But your work sounded like something you really
enjoyed, and it always seemed to me you had a lot of control over the
amount and pace of it. You're still under age 70, seem to have taken
good care of yourself and be in relatively good health, so what made you
pull the plug?

I'm rushing out the door here, so this is not well thought out, but
the short story is that it was becoming too frustrating. I have an
editorial vision and the world was going somewhere else.

Or my publisher was. Or publishing is. It will take some time and
distance for me to have an accurate view of it.

Oh, I completely get the type of frustration you're talking about. I've
gone through something similar over the last 15 or so years. I've
worked all my life in IT, and from 1983 until 2005 it was all as an
independent consultant/contractor. Most of the early days of that was
spent on installing and customizing commercial vendor-supplied ERP
packages, mainly in distributing and manufacturing, with some forays off
into insurance and health care. This was entirely on medium to large
IBM platforms. I probably caught most of the second half of the big
computerization wave in the U.S., when computers went from doing some
accounting and tabulating to becoming central to firms' core business
functions. The shift meant that what came to be known as IT (after
earlier being "the computer room" and then "data processing") stopped
being managed by the CFO and came to have its own senior executive.
Except for a short spell in the very early 1990s, I never lacked work.
As an independent contractor, I had a lot of control over my time, and I
got a lot of the hardest assignments, which I liked. There was one firm
where I spent most of a five year interval in the late 1990s, and near
the end of it, the CIO got dinged in an audit because she gave me too
much of the important stuff, and there was no "succession plan" if I got
run over by a truck or inherited a few million and stopped working.

It all changed quickly in the early 2000s. First, nearly every medium
to large firm that was going to acquire and customize an enterprise
package had already done so, and focus shifted to customer interfaces
rather than core enterprise functions. Second, Sarbanes-Oxley and other
onerous regulations came into place that mandated segregation-of-duties
and extremely cumbersome change management procedures; the change
management bull**** made it harder and harder to get things done.
Third, there was a huge wave of mergers and acquisitions, and a lot of
big companies that had needed a lot of IT work simply disappeared.
Finally, there was the surge of "off-shoring" that moved quite a lot of
IT work to India and elsewhere, and also the notoriously corrupt H-1B
visa debacle that put intense downward pressure on contract rates and
salaries. In the heyday, I could bill $75 and occasionally $85 an hour
for truly independent work, and I would get offers from contract brokers
for $65 an hour; by 2006, the brokers were offering in the $35-$40
range, sometimes less. I had to give up contracting in 2005 and take a
so-called "permanent" position, of which I have now had three.

Today, I work for a huge financial services company, heavily regulated,
and the work is tedious and hard to get done because of all the change
management and regulatory compliance hoops. They motivate the proles
with near-constant reminders that failure to comply with all the regs
can result in consequences "up to and including termination" - very
cheerful. I have to take numerous internal training sessions annually
in change management, incident management, anti-money laundering, risk
management, time tracking, "diversity and inclusion" (what bull****),
and more. The work is pure systems management - no more development.
There's really no challenge to it, or very little. It has become just a
paycheck.

Now I better understand your inclination to libertarianism. I've only
had to face that kind of thing when I was a medical editor for six
years, and half the job was making sure we complied with medical,
legal, and regulatory standards. Medical editing pays pretty well
because not many people can do it, in that environment. I found it to
be insufferably tedious but it was a good-paying job when other
editing jobs were on the skids. They always need medical editors.

The regulations in that industry, however, generally make good sense.
What doesn't make sense is the huge negative consequences for making a
mistake. They grind up editors with regularity, because a mistake can
cost the company itself an enormous financial hit. I've witnessed a
proofreader getting fired for misspelling a word in a headline.
Ironically, it's easier to do that than to make a mistake in text.
It's vicious.

I envy your situation where you feel you can retire. I can't - married
late, have a 15 year old son in private school, major expenses far out
onto the horizon (unless he can get a full-ride scholarship to a good
school.) If he can get his university education all or mostly paid by
someone else, I'll sell everything and get the hell out of the People's
Republic of California and go someplace where it's cheaper to live, and
maybe then I can cut back on work or at least not have to worry as much
about chasing the highest salary.

Hang in there. We eventually get old and the kids leave the nest. g
I think I'd be cutting it pretty close if I didn't do any work at all,
but I look forward to just writing articles I want to write, when I
want to write them. It won't be many.

What happened with fishing? I might have misunderstood, but I had the
idea you were going to be off doing it for a week or so.

It might have gotten lost in my enthusiastic post, but it's two trips.
Over the weekend, I was fishing for panfish in NJ, just to loosen up
my fly-casting arm. Then I went up to north-central PA for some trout
fishing. Late yesterday I headed east, to the Pocono Mountains in PA,
to a brook trout stream (they're very small creeks, and the fish are
small, but they're wild and brookies are native and delicious). I
caught a few brookies last evening and then moved downstream a bit,
looking for stretches where I could cast a dry fly. I caught the
morning hatch today, but I only missed a couple of strikes and caught
nothing. As soon as the hatch was over (around 8:30 AM), I headed home
and got here just after 10:00.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm headed out again, this time down to Island
Beach State Park, which is on a barrier island, to do some surf
casting for bluefish. I have to go get my surf reel re-loaded with
line first.

I made the mistake of checking into RCM instead of heading right for
the tackle shop...

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

One of those jobs is engineering. I think it's true of any job where
one's identity and job might eventually become indistinguishable and
the job becomes the reason for living each day.

Ed already has plans and schemes: build a boat, go fishing for
pickerel. Other interests and passions will pop up. He'll write
about whateverthehell he wants to write about, and won't really care
whether or not some editor somewhere likes what he's written or not.

That's freedom!

Another retiree I know, a name well-known to old RCM'rs, is now
writing novels.

What keeps us alive is having a reason to be alive:
excitement and
anticipation of what we're going to do and enjoy today and
tomorrow
and next week. Having a good partner for the journey helps
a LOT.

Today, 17 years and 3 months after retiring ... I'm going
fishing as
soon as it warms up a little outside. Saturday we're going to a grape stomp at a local winery.

O.K., can you explain what a grape stomp is?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 13:16:41 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

Thanks. I'm between trips and somehow I had to log into RCM. g

I figured you hung around here to keep your fingers limber and in shape
for serious editing

Congrats on the retirement gig.

Word of advice, only admit being retired if someone asks the question.
Semiretired is a good alternative regardless if it's true or not.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 1:24:03 PM UTC-4, Catherine L. Cranche wrote:

I'd apologize, but it would be insincere. I really like that it upsets
you.

That says everything about you.

No, not everything, and what it does say isn't particularly negative.
Coombs, and his pal Wieber, are thorough-going assholes, and upsetting
assholes who have no redeeming qualities is not a bad thing to do - it's
a good thing to do. I don't consider you an asshole, just plodding and
thick, and I don't derive any satisfaction in upsetting you, in the way
I get great satisfaction from upsetting Wieber and Coombs; I just don't
attach much significance to upsetting you.

No, it really does say overything about you.

And do not worry about upsetting me. You never will because I attach no significance to anything you say. I might if you ever posted anything about metal working, but I am fairly sure you never will.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Thanks. I'm between trips and somehow I had to log into RCM. g

I figured you hung around here to keep your fingers limber and in shape
for serious editing

Congrats on the retirement gig.

Word of advice, only admit being retired if someone asks the question.
Semiretired is a good alternative regardless if it's true or not.

Thanks, Leon. Well, in this case it's pretty much true. I'm already
thinking about writing something.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 12:09:03 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 21:27:30 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:27:46 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

It's a car-topper rowboat that I can get up and down by myself; it
weighs 60 lb or maybe a little less if I decide to go for the
high-class imported plywood. It's mostly for pickerel fishing in the
ponds and cranberry bogs in the South Jersey Pine Barrens, and I may
use it in the tidal creeks that run into the NJ bays.

Gorgeous day on the lake today. Post-coldfront high blue sky, fish
shouldn't have been biting, but I can usually find a few fish.

We caught our supper again this afternoon, fish went direct from
cleaning table to pan. 6 nice sunnies, 1 little largemouth bass, one
northern pike. We were out for about 2 hours. Spent another pleasant
hour on a boat ride and recon looking for some new spots to try next
time.

Small pike (under 5 lb) actually taste better than walleye, and bass
and sunnies from this gin-clear Minnesota lake are very close behind.
Egg wash, panko breading, sautee in butter. YUM! Sides were sweet
corn, onion bread and cole slaw, accompanied by a very pleasant
Riesling.

One northern hit my lure like a runaway truck, broke my 20 lb test
line and cost me the RedEye Wiggler lure I bought just yesterday. He
got away ... this time ... we'll be back! I marked an X on the side
of the boat so I'll know exactly where to cast when we return.

Shop project: repaired a rod. An eyelet broke off when that northern
hit. My workbench was the fish cleaning table out on the deck by the
lake in the sunshine. Tools were some dacron fishing line, some super
glue and a sharp knife.

Finished reading a very good novel: "Cold Vengeance", Preston &
Child. I'll start another tomorrow.

Being retired's a bitch, but we soldier on bravely.

---

Oh, boy, you make it sound great. I hope I enjoy mine nearly as much.

About the pike: Do you cut out the Y-shaped bones along the lateral
line, or do you cook them with the bones in, and eat around them?

I remove the Y-bones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJhLfWLRx8
I'm not very good at it yet. Need to catch more northerns.

We have northerns in a few lakes but we have pickerel -- redfins and
chain pickerel -- all over the place. The redfins are too small to eat
but I'll bring home a chain pickerel. I have a tiny Rapala filet knife
that I've sharpened like a razor and save just for removing a strip of
those bones (and the dark lateral line on bluefish).

BTW, I skin my sunfish. It seems to get rid of any muddy taste. I
filet them, too, which is like performing surgery. g

Me too. I'm getting good at it, can now filet a sunny in well under a
minute. Mary and I practiced catch 'n release but there'll be none
of that with Vicki. She likes to eat our catches!

A trick with sunnies: I don't bother with trying to follow the ribs to
get that last two grams of meat below the ribs. After cutting along
the dorsal fin to the spine and then sliding along the spine to the
tail, I make the usual transverse cut behind the gills but then make
a longitudinal cut just below the lateral line. Filet to that cut,
flip the filet and skin it, done with that side! No blood or gut
juices are spilled, meat never touches the cleaning table. If you
really miss that last two grams of meat, just catch another sunny! We
had more than enough for supper last night.

I didn't invent this technique; I learned it from my new friend Ron
who catches (and eats) several hundred sunnies per year. He lives on
a lake. Few weeks ago he had a fish fry in his back yard for "the
group", 42 people. We had plenty of fish. "The group" spun off from
a grief support group back in about 2013 or so. We've morphed into a
"movin' forward" group of good friends. Vicki and I were founders.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 11:17:33 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Sure! I'll let the website from the winery explain it:
http://www.ccwgrapestomp.com/

It's an all-weekend festval at a winery in Central Minnesota with half
a dozen bands, usually three of them playing somewhere at any given
time, "street" vendors, lots of food, lots of wine-tasting and
general having-a-good-time. It's a lot of fun. People really do
stomp grapes barefoot, but I don't think they actually use the
resulting juice to make wine.

We go every year. My cabin is located only about 20 miles from this
winery.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Thanks. I'm between trips and somehow I had to log into RCM. g

I figured you hung around here to keep your fingers limber and in shape
for serious editing

Congrats on the retirement gig.

Word of advice, only admit being retired if someone asks the question.
Semiretired is a good alternative regardless if it's true or not.

Second that one, Leon. When repeatedly presented with the question,
"so what are you doing now that you're retired?" (like I should be
doing something noteworthy) and not knowing quite how to respond, I
finally settled on saying "whatever I want!" with a big grin. It's
truthful, accurate, and most don't really want any more detail anyway.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 16:28:50 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 13/09/2016 5:39 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend

The worst day fishing beats the best day working.
But I guess that doesn't apply anymore, eh?
Enjoy!

Jon

Thanks, Jon. I hope the rest is like the last week. d8-) I didn't
catch many trout (man, am I rusty!) but just being on those freestone
streams is worth the effort. It's beautiful up in north-central PA
right now. But then, it usually is.

Congratulation's on retirement, now get to work you slacker.... :-)

I know the feeling about being rusty. Had a damn stroke early in year,
still trying to get my hand to release a line correctly.

Signed on the line to vote the other day and they looked it over as it
wasn't even close to last years! Told them I was lucky I could still
move the hand.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 11:51:37 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 9/12/2016 3:39 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

(if anyone wants to reach me, delete the "3" from my phony email
address above)

When I retired I became a bit more liberal. Will you become a bit more
conservative?

God, I hope not, but I'm developing some bad habits. I already swear
too much and I eat squirrels. What's next?

Everybody swears at times. Liberals or Conservatives both...

As for the squirrels... Better you than me. I've ate them in the past
but the ones around here have WAY to many bugs and diseases to bother
with, same with rabbits. Skin'em and feed the 'yotes.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

I'd invite you up my way to the West Canada but it's running low at the
moment. The three local "trout" streams have all but dried up after the
way they were destroyed during the floods and clean-up. The one closest
to me now runs for a couple of miles over bare bedrock! No pools and
only a few rocks to break it up. The rest was shifted and cleaned up to
repair it. I figure they might stock it again in a couple years. Who
knows how long it will take to have any real population in it.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 15:11:27 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

Thanks, Leon. Well, in this case it's pretty much true. I'm already
thinking about writing something.

I don't often recommend books, especially to someone in your class...

Your mention of Pennsylvania brought Ned Smith to mind and his book
called "Gone for the Day". I only read a little bit at a time because
I'll really be bummed when it's done.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...ne+for+the+Day

or check out the Ned Smith Center:

http://www.nedsmithcenter.org/product/gonefortheda/

I would make the trip to the Center if it was closer by:

176 Water Company Road
Millersburg, PA

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 19:29:38 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

We all have finite budgets. I guess what I meant was that I spend
about zero time worrying about cost-cutting. If I can't afford to do
what I want to do without fretting about cost then I just do
something else! I do a lot of "junkbox design", meaning that I
design around what I have on hand rather than what might be optimal in
a product design.

Grok that. Ditto here. Why waste a perfectly good on-hand item?

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 06:57:44 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Atta Boy, Don! My goals are the same as yours, 'cept for the "no
budget" thing. Funds are far too finite.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 11:26:34 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

[...]

I understand many of those turn into orgies. Just sayin...

Next week, back to town for this 'n that. I
have three little shop project ideas in my little notebook. I'm
helping a fellow RCM'r to get started with anodizing aluminum. I have
a new computer waiting for me to "move into". I haven't designed a
circuit in at least two weeks ... been fishing! The last circuit I
designed was for a very bright LED spotlight to illuminate my American
flag at night. Except for the Cree XM-L2 LED, it used '90s technology
and parts because that's what I had in my goodie box and I don't need
to make a competitive product -- I only need to make one.

I'm guessing you found a good middle ground to illuminate the flag, or
did you use their driver?

I found some adjustable-focus, 5-mode flashlights on eBay for $5 a
pop. They have Cree XM-L2 LEDs and are the brightest thing I've seen
for under $100. I loved it so much, I bought two more for myself, and
sets of them, including extra 16550 rechargeable batteries, chargers,
and cases, for my whole extended family for Christmas stocking
stuffers last year. Oh, modes are high, medium, low, flasher, and
SOS. Waterproof, too. They're made of decently heavy gauge aluminum
with crenellated face (good for self defense: smack the perp in the
forehead to blind him with his own blood while you run.)
http://tinyurl.com/hrpt9vy They're up to $7.43 now. What a deal!

The circuit before that was for the 3-watt "bugfree" LED light. It
lights up the whole deck for cleaning fish after dark, is visible from
across the lake 1.25 miles distant. It's a very narrow-spectrum amber
color that bugs can't see. This was Mark III. I gave Mark II to one
of my good neighbors at the lake.

Really? An amber bulb which doesn't draw insects? Amazing! Brand
and model, please! Or frequency, at least.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 11:24:14 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus16559 wrote:
Glad to see you again Don!

I try to practice what you preach even without being retired.

Taking a day or two off just to walk the coastline this time of year is swell. I liked nighttime walks earlier this summer. Too hot during the day as I'm not a swimmer or fishing. Digging for clams or throwing nets and cages into the water is A.O.K.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 8:29:45 PM UTC-4, Don Foreman wrote:
We all have finite budgets. I guess what I meant was that I spend
about zero time worrying about cost-cutting. If I can't afford to do
what I want to do without fretting about cost then I just do
something else! I do a lot of "junkbox design", meaning that I
design around what I have on hand rather than what might be optimal in
a product design.

Budgetwise, that goes without saying. Only the priciest college and corporate engineering programs deal with the cutting-edge stuff.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 14:43:13 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I'm guessing you found a good middle ground to illuminate the flag, or
did you use their driver?

Middle ground???

I used a molded plastic TIR (total internal reflection) optic with
12-degree beamwidth, produces a very crisp spot just big enough to
illuminate the whole flag from a distance of about 25 feet. I'm
driving it with a 5-volt wallwart ($1.50 surplus), in series with a
shop-made current regulator that regulates LED current to 700 mA. The
LED is rated for 1 amp but it's plenty bright at 700 mA and it runs
barely warm to the touch.

There's also a dark sensor in series that turns it on at dusk and off
at dawn. That was made with junkbox parts, including a cadmium
sulfide photosensor that was half a buck at the surplus store when I
got it some years ago.

[...]

I used a Cree XP-E2, three LED's on one star mount.
http://www.ledsupply.com/leds/cree-x...power-led-star
It's coupled to a matching molded plastic triple optic, medium (35
degree) beamwidth. Color is amber, wavelength is 585 to595 nm.
It's housed in a machined aluminum cylinder 1.5" dia by 1" long, with
7 fins, looks like a large model aircraft engine cylinder. This one
is runnng almost 10 watts so it needs a decent heatsink. Email if
you'd like a photo.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/12/2016 3:39 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

(if anyone wants to reach me, delete the "3" from my phony email
address above)

When I retired I became a bit more liberal. Will you become a bit more
conservative?

God, I hope not, but I'm developing some bad habits. I already swear
too much and I eat squirrels. What's next?

My friend Ron prepares squirrel that rivals anything in a fine
restaurant. It's that good. He also does a fine job on wild duck,
pickled sunfish, smoked lake trout ... and of course, sunfish!

He is also a flaming liberal and doesn't swear hardly any at all.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Cinnamon oil is a great repellent for all of that stuff. The stuff drives off everything for outdoor cleaning and cooking.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 16:05:54 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

That doesn't sound like a good thing. About fishing in western Canada:
I've twice been up to Great Slave Lake. We caught lake trout running
up to 36 pounds, and I took a flight up to one of the rivers that
flows into the Beaufort Sea to catch Arctic charr.

Those was some of the most memorable fishing trips of my life.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-13, Rudy Canoza wrote:
On 9/12/2016 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 5:18:08 PM UTC-4, Rudy Canoza wrote:

What kind of fishing? My son and I are thinking of getting into fly
fishing. I'd like to look into building my own fly rod. Ever done that?

I bought a book on making fishing rods by Dale Clemens and gave it to my grandson last Christmas. But he is not much of a DIY kid. Fortunately the book was from Abe and cost less than $5. I recommend the book. I learned about Dale from a guy that was the production manager for Fenwick at the time.

All of a sudden, after looking at a couple of DIY pages for
pull-up bars, I had a flash of inspiration. I bought two 3/4" floor
flanges, two 12" nipples, two elbows, and one 3' length, all in black
pipe. I assembled them into a wide flat "U" shape, with the flanges on
the ends of the nipples, had my son help me hold it up to the bottom of
a 4"x8" wood beam so I could mark where to drill the holes, and then I
drilled pilot holes for the screws into the bottom of the beam. With
four screw holes on each flange, I bought eight #14 screws, 2-1/2"
length. This is where things began to go wrong. I bought the screws at
Home Depot, and of course they're from China.

With a combination of tools, I managed to drive four screws to hold one
of the flanges to the beam. On the second flange, I successfully drove
three of the screws. On the fourth screw on the second flange, the
screw broke about one inch from the head just as the screw head was
about to make contact with the flange.

How deep was the pilot hole? I don't think that most drill bits
of reasonable size for pilots for #14 screws are long enough for the full
2-1/2" length.

I bought a screw extractor and
attempted to get the broken screw out, but I couldn't drill into the
piece of the screw embedded in the beam - the shaft was over an inch
into the beam.

Wood screws are poor candidates for most screw extractors --
which are frequently marginal even for metalworkiing screws. They are
*very* hard and tend to break off in the screw if it takes a lot of
torque, and most wood screws do get to a lot of torque by the time you
break one off.

I rotated the flange 45 degrees and started over. Same thing: three
screws successfully driven to hold the flange tight to the beam, fourth
screw broke...at exactly the same depth (about 1".)

Is it possible that there is a knot in the wood under that? Or
even worse, some steel in there where it would have been hit by both
screws? A knot, you can likely spot from the outside. Anti-logging
organizations have been known to "spike" trees -- to cause the saws in
the sawmills to break teeth off the (very large and expensive) blades.

And -- how old is this beam? The wood tends to get harder over
the years -- and screws are made with the assumption that they will be
used in fairly fresh wood.

I bought a couple
of plastic tubular spacers to try to drill into the screw shaft so I
could get a screw extractor into the shaft, but it ultimately failed. I
now have four screws holding one flange, and three holding the other.
I'm not very heavy - a little over 150 lb. - and my son is lighter, and
I don't hear any noise from the three-screw flange like the screws are
pulling free, so it appears to be okay, but it still chaps my ass that
Home Depot sells ****ty stuff. How hard can it be for a screw and bolt
manufacturer to make *steel* screws that will screw into wood - *with*
properly sized pilot holes,

Properly sized the full depth of the screw?

for christall****ingmighty - without the
screw shaft breaking?

Into really old wood -- that can be a problem for most screws,
especially that deep into the wood.

Remember, for each turn of the screw, it has more area in
frictional content with the wood, and thus more torque required to drive
it farther.

And -- if the screw is the type with a threaded section, and a
unthreaded part under the head -- you want a larger pilot hole for the
unthreaded part.

One thing which can help is to screw the screws into a block of
wax first, before going into wood.

So -- maybe it is not the quality of the screws in this case,
but the application to aged lumber.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm guessing you found a good middle ground to illuminate the flag, or
did you use their driver?

Middle ground???

I used a molded plastic TIR (total internal reflection) optic with
12-degree beamwidth, produces a very crisp spot just big enough to
illuminate the whole flag from a distance of about 25 feet. I'm
driving it with a 5-volt wallwart ($1.50 surplus), in series with a
shop-made current regulator that regulates LED current to 700 mA. The
LED is rated for 1 amp but it's plenty bright at 700 mA and it runs
barely warm to the touch.

I thought maybe you fabbed up a driver, but I hadn't even considered
that you'd have to do optical work. Cool.

There's also a dark sensor in series that turns it on at dusk and off
at dawn. That was made with junkbox parts, including a cadmium
sulfide photosensor that was half a buck at the surplus store when I
got it some years ago.

Those only last a couple years, yeah? I've replaced quite a few
photosensors over the years in PIR lamp fixtures.

[...]

Will do. I'd like to see it.

Here's a pair of 3w 6v COBs for $3.04 delivered. Hmmm...
http://tinyurl.com/godj4dz I wonder how they're heatsunk. Maybe buy
one of the $2 recessed fixtures with heatsink and replace the LED...
I need to work outside at night every once in awhile, and the bugs and
moths make it less than fun.

I bought a 10w 6500k white COB LED with metal tabs which can be
heatsunk through the tabs and the back of the chip mount with
compound. It has just been lying around, as I found love in the XM-L2
first. g

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
Ed Huntress wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 14:18:05 -0700, Rudy Canoza
wrote:

On 9/12/2016 12:39 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

(if anyone wants to reach me, delete the "3" from my phony email
address above)

What kind of fishing? My son and I are thinking of getting into fly
fishing. I'd like to look into building my own fly rod. Ever done that?

Trout fishing for the next few days, in PA. Then bluefish, in NJ. And,
if they're biting, false albacore. I haven't checked to see if they're
in. They are the ultimate fly-fishing trip, to me.

I'vs been fly fishing since I was 7. Yes, I build fly rods and other
rods. That's most of what I do with my South Bend lathe these days.
But you don't need a lathe unless you're a real scratch-builder.

Send me a note to my real email address (the one above, but without
the "3") and I'll send you a few photos of my favorite home-built fly
rod, which I built from scratch around 10 years ago.

I'll be out of here after tonight, though, for at least a week.

I will be stalking salmon in Oregon on the Wilson in November.

Congratulations on retirement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Catherine L. Cranche wrote:
On 9/15/2016 7:34 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I see you've morphed again , still to much the coward to post
your real name .

I'd apologize, but it would be insincere. I really like that it
*amuses* you.

There , fixed that for you .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 10:39:02 +0200 (CEST), "lurker #22"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Ah, that's one I hope to try some day -- or Atlantic salmon in the
Canadian Maritimes.

But that may be dreaming. Late today, I'm going after bluefish on the
NJ beaches.

Congratulations on retirement.

Thanks, lurker.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Aha. Well, I can get the bones out that way, although I generally skin
the filets first. But it's a little iffy, especially near the
head-end, where the bones become a little complex.

We have some sal****er fish that are worse than that (I'm thinking of
croakers, particularly). They're delicious but they have a complex
bone structure. I've often wished I had some 3D CAD images of fish
skeletons so I could see where those bones are.

[...]

Yes, I've done that, too. My method these days is to filet right
through the rib bones and then just cut the ribs out. I do that with
lots of smaller fish, including bass and yellow perch.

Here's another tip you may find useful for sunfish. Lay the fish on
its belly, so the dorsal fin is up. Cut straight down behind the head
and cut about halfway into the rib cage. Then put your thumbs into the
opening between the head and the body, and tear them apart, right
through the thin flesh in the belly. If you cut to the right depth,
the head comes off with all of the guts attached.

Then it's really easy to filet the fish, without the head or guts.

I've also used Euell Gibbons' (_Stalking the Wild Asparagus_) method
for skinning them: Cut through the skin down each side, next to the
dorsal fin, head to tail. Make another shallow cut behind the head,
just through the skin. Then grab the upper corner of the skin, where
the two cuts come together, and tear the skin off. On a big one, a
pair of pliers helps.

I do this if I'm going to cook them whole, which I often do if I'm the
only one eating them. It's the damned skin that carries the muddy
taste.

--
Ed Huntress

I didn't invent this technique; I learned it from my new friend Ron
who catches (and eats) several hundred sunnies per year. He lives on
a lake. Few weeks ago he had a fish fry in his back yard for "the
group", 42 people. We had plenty of fish. "The group" spun off from
a grief support group back in about 2013 or so. We've morphed into a
"movin' forward" group of good friends. Vicki and I were founders.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They seem to be good here. And the squirrels taste like...turkey dark
meat! Surprise -- they don't taste like chicken. g

I haven't hunted rabbits in NJ. But I did when I was a kid, in PA. I
could walk out my back door with a shotgun, before school, and shoot
one or two almost any day. We ate a lot of hasenpfeffer. My mother was
half Hungarian. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh, jeez, I hope you get those stroke effects rehabbed. It looks like
it didn't damage the most important part -- the part of your brain
that thinks.

Good luck on the rest of it, Steve.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Thanks. I'm between trips and somehow I had to log into RCM. g

I figured you hung around here to keep your fingers limber and in shape
for serious editing

Congrats on the retirement gig.

Word of advice, only admit being retired if someone asks the question.
Semiretired is a good alternative regardless if it's true or not.

That's a good point. That's basically what I've been telling people. I
don't know what I'm going to write yet, but I will continue to write.

And in the immortal words of a fellow writer, Samuel Johnson (1709 -
1784):

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money."

I'll take that to heart. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Thanks, Leon. Well, in this case it's pretty much true. I'm already
thinking about writing something.

I don't often recommend books, especially to someone in your class...

Your mention of Pennsylvania brought Ned Smith to mind and his book
called "Gone for the Day". I only read a little bit at a time because
I'll really be bummed when it's done.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...ne+for+the+Day

or check out the Ned Smith Center:

http://www.nedsmithcenter.org/product/gonefortheda/

I would make the trip to the Center if it was closer by:

176 Water Company Road
Millersburg, PA

It sounds good, Leon. Back when Ned was writing for _Pannsylvania Game
News_, in the early '60s, I lived in PA and read his columns, which I
always enjoyed.

My local libraries don't have it but I've added it to my Christmas
list. Thanks!

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 12:27:22 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

It sounds good, Leon. Back when Ned was writing for _Pannsylvania Game
News_, in the early '60s, I lived in PA and read his columns, which I
always enjoyed.

My local libraries don't have it but I've added it to my Christmas
list. Thanks!

Not at all surprised that you are familiar with Ned's work. It is laid
out by month and goes for not quite two years as I recall. Easy to read
some and then set aside, wait for the next month. Can't count how many
times he would describe some encounter and my head would nod up and
down

The real nuggets though are the things to watch or look for while you
are out fishing, hunting, bird watching...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/16/2016 6:45 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 9/15/2016 8:05 AM, Catherine L. Cranche wrote:
On 9/15/2016 7:34 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Catherine L. Cranche wrote:
On 9/14/2016 4:16 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 06:47:04 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 08:55:55 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:07:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Ignoramus7822 wrote:

Awesome! I hope that you enjoy your retirement for a long time!

Actually, that time period is a concern. A BBC article says: "... in
some jobs, average life expectancy after retirement is
just 18 months". Here's the website:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18952037

True indeed.

I hope Ed stays alive for a very long time.

Like my tee says
"The more you complain, the longer God makes you live."

You just want him to live long enough to be culled, dontcha?

Nah..they wont cull Fast Eddy. They might prop him up in the Clown
Car..but he has too little influence over anything ...he is just a
minor stench..kinda like a kindergardners fart. Nothing of any
significance. And I kinda like him, damaged as he is.

If he is on the List..its not by my doing.

There is no "list", there are no "those who maintain the list." It's
all bull**** - 100% of it.

You hope ...

We all *know* that "the list" is bull****. You know it. We know that
you know it.

I see you've morphed again , still to much the coward to post
your real name .

I'd apologize, but it would be insincere. I really like that it upsets
you.

There , fixed that for you .

??? It's just the same as I wrote it. It was right the first time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus7822 wrote:

[...]

You are sadly mistaken if you think I'm upset .

No, it really does upset you. That pleases me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money."

I've doodled a bit in writing novels. Just a bit, though. But, I think you're right when you say that. Though, you kind of take it for granted that its a steep hill to climb. Outside of sitting in a vehicle or working construction all day.