DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bending Moment for 1 inch Cast Iron Pipe (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/399744-bending-moment-1-inch-cast-iron-pipe.html)

KW1K August 1st 16 01:18 PM

Bending Moment for 1 inch Cast Iron Pipe

I am building a cantilever support for a manual winch to raise a 24 foot
vertical antenna weighing 40 pounds. I plan to mount the winch on the end of a
24 inch section of 1 inch cast iron pipe and am concerned about the pipe
failing. The non winch end will be attached to a Tee cast iron fitting with
the support pipe ground mounted in concrete [sort of an inverted 'L'].

Any comments or ideas appreciated.

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...pe-630776-.htm

Jim Wilkins[_2_] August 1st 16 02:16 PM

Bending Moment for 1 inch Cast Iron Pipe

"KW1K" wrote in
message roups.com...
I am building a cantilever support for a manual winch to raise a 24
foot
vertical antenna weighing 40 pounds. I plan to mount the winch on
the end of a
24 inch section of 1 inch cast iron pipe and am concerned about the
pipe
failing. The non winch end will be attached to a Tee cast iron
fitting with
the support pipe ground mounted in concrete [sort of an inverted
'L'].

Any comments or ideas appreciated.

--
for full context, visit
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...pe-630776-.htm

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=12733

I proof test the stuff I build from water pipe to at least 5 times the
working load.
http://www.engineersedge.com/analysi...ety-review.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-440-.../dp/B000KKD09I

https://www.amazon.com/Changlong-ins...e+scale+1000kg

Cydrome Leader August 1st 16 06:26 PM

KW1K wrote:
I am building a cantilever support for a manual winch to raise a 24 foot
vertical antenna weighing 40 pounds. I plan to mount the winch on the end of a
24 inch section of 1 inch cast iron pipe and am concerned about the pipe
failing. The non winch end will be attached to a Tee cast iron fitting with
the support pipe ground mounted in concrete [sort of an inverted 'L'].

Any comments or ideas appreciated.

Just test it first. Non-domestic pipe and fittings are of varied and
frequently real poor quality.

Just last night I over torqued a 1/4-20 bolt with a tiny wrench, wasn't
even trying to cinch it down. I though the threads were tight, but the
damn thing was twisting apart. Got the broken off part out with needle
nose pliers. That's grade 3 from a big box store.