Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pellet Guns in Illinois

Crazy Illinois. They don't allow shipping of airguns greater than .18
caliber with muzzle velocity greater than 700 FPS. So if there were an
airgun in 177 caliber that shot 10,000 FPS, no restriction. But an airgun
in a larger caliber that shoots 701 fps, can't ship, even to a firearm
dealer. You can have your guns shipped to any state surrounding Illinois,
go and pick it up, that's fine. I heard you are supposed to have an FOID to
own the restricted airgun but haven't found that documented yet.

I put a 25 caliber PCP air rifle and a pump in my "shopping cart" at
walmart.com and an alert popped up that they can't ship the rifle or pump to
my local Wal-Mart. I can buy firearms at my local Wal-Mart, but not an air
rifle greater than 18 caliber and greater than 700 fps, or even the pump. I
selected a Wal-Mart about 60 miles away in Missouri, no problem, I could
have the airgun shipped to that location and pick it up, no problem.

Thanks to Chicago Democrat legislation I can buy a 50 caliber semi-auto
firearm with over 10,000 ft-lbs energy but can't buy a 25 caliber air rifle
with less than 50 ft. lb. energy. Even crazier, in Chicago you can't get
sling shots or slingshot ammo, are they going to ban rocks also? If they
find a forked stick and a rubber band will you re arrested for attempting to
make an illegal weapon? Can't Chicago Democrats be trusted with a sling
shot?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 10:13:46 AM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Large modern places like Chicago don't want your crap over there, like this:

"Over in Eastern Oklahoma last weekend they had a big gun show
where people got to shoot a lot of fully automatic weapons and
some WWII weapons. Everybody had a fine time, except for
the neighbors, about 3 miles away, who got hit with a shell
from a 105 MM Howitzer. The shell (not explosive) went through
the wall and wound up inside the house. The gun owner will
pay for the damage. The range owner didn't understand how it
could have happened. Supposedly all fire was aimed low and
everybody had a thorough safety course before the firing began.

The people who lived in the house didn't seem too upset by it.
They weren't venting all over the place. Of course they haven't
been visited by a lawyer yet." -Bill June 26, 2014
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

snip
Thanks to Chicago Democrat legislation I can buy a 50 caliber semi-auto
firearm with over 10,000 ft-lbs energy but can't buy a 25 caliber air
rifle
with less than 50 ft. lb. energy. Even crazier, in Chicago you can't get
sling shots or slingshot ammo, are they going to ban rocks also? If they
find a forked stick and a rubber band will you re arrested for attempting
make an illegal weapon? Can't Chicago Democrats be trusted with a sling
shot?

Large modern places like Chicago don't want your crap over there, like
this:

That makes sense but keeping pellet guns out of the hands of people that can
buy more powerful firearms is just plain stupid. I can mail order an AR-15,
with 30 round magazines but can't order a bolt action pellet gun and have it
shipped to Illinois. I can go to Missouri, Kentucky, or Indiana and buy one
though. Illinois stupidity helps surrounding states, seriously, they tax so
high businesses and citizens leave.

Another stupidity of Illinois, I can get a concealed carry permit o carry a
gun but can't carry a switchblade knife. At least we have knives I can open
with one hand these days.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 May 2016 16:57:19 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

wrote in message

snip
[...]

One can only speculate why you continue to reside in such a place with
their restrictive laws.

I would think that an intelligent person would move away from there.
--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Mighty Ant" wrote in message

On Sat, 28 May 2016 16:57:19 -0500, "RogerN"

snip

Another stupidity of Illinois, I can get a concealed carry permit o carry
gun but can't carry a switchblade knife. At least we have knives I can
open
with one hand these days.

RogerN

One can only speculate why you continue to reside in such a place with
their restrictive laws.

I would think that an intelligent person would move away from there.
--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant

My wife and I both have family in town. Have a decent paying job for the
area, one weeks take home pay will make 3 monthly house payments. Also have
a home machine shop with 3 mills, 2 lathes, with an average weight over
2000 lbs per machine. I would probably need a fleet of trucks and a loading
ramp at each end to move, lol. A bit old to relocate and start over. If I
found a job in a nearby state that paid enough for living there and keeping
my current house, I'd be interested. I get a lot of calls from recruiters
but most are up North farther away than I want to live and/or don't pay
enough more to be worth moving.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 5:57:18 PM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
wrote in message

snip
[...]

Do you think that it's possible that the lawmakers would prefer to also ban the 30 round magazines and the AR 15 but were not able to get the legislation through? I doubt seriously that, if you scratch the surface, you'll find a vendetta against BB guns. This was probably a small part of a much bigger bill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 May 2016 14:50:03 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 5:57:18 PM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
wrote in message

snip
[...]

The way those things generally happen is that they get tacked onto a
bill outlawing "dangerous weapons," along with brass knuckles, hand
grenades, and so on. That's what happened in NJ. I fought like hell
about it and even testified in a state Senate hearing to keep it from
being enacted. No joy.

But they were in a feeding frenzy. There are several other states --
in some cases, just particular counties -- that have banned
slingshots. And 18 states have outlawed them for hunting.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 5:57:18 PM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
wrote in message

snip
[...]

Actually, they're not outlawed in Illinois. As usual, Roger has his panties
in a bunch because he can't mail order them. .177s below 700fps are
considered toys and you get then at the toystore. Above 177 or above 700 fps
you have to get from a gun dealer.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 May 2016 18:34:52 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 5:57:18 PM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
wrote in message

snip
[...]

Of course, he can mail order his 9mm handguns and carry permit. g

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 5:57:18 PM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
wrote in message

snip
[...]

It was the mail order 50cal; semiauto that gave me the heebie-jeebies.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message ...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message snip
But they were in a feeding frenzy. There are several other states --
in some cases, just particular counties -- that have banned
slingshots. And 18 states have outlawed them for hunting.

--
Ed Huntress

Actually, they're not outlawed in Illinois. As usual, Roger has his panties
in a bunch because he can't mail order them. .177s below 700fps are
considered toys and you get then at the toystore. Above 177 or above 700
fps you have to get from a gun dealer.

Paul K. Dickman

That was right but was changed in 2012.
I have found this information other places but Pyramid Air has a list
including slingshots and such.
http://www.pyramydair.com/shipping-restrictions

Illinois

Effective July 13, 2012: There is no velocity limit on airguns below .18
caliber, and airguns are no longer considered firearms by the state. Airguns
over .18 caliber must still have a velocity of less than 700 fps.
Aurora .Foregrips

Chicago .Airguns
..Airsoft guns
..Blank guns
..Blank gun ammo

Cook County .Foregrips

Niles .Slingshots
..Slingshot ammo
..Slingshot accessories

Washington .Slingshots
..Slingshot ammo
..Slingshot accessories

As far as ordering a gun online, I've ordered one less than a month ago, it
took one day to arrive in the store plus one day waiting period.
And they do sell 50 Caliber but are currently sold out
http://www.rkguns.com/bushmaster-50bmg-ba50-90102.html
I didn't buy a 50 cal though, out of my price range for now.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .

On Sun, 29 May 2016 18:34:52 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

snip

Actually, they're not outlawed in Illinois. As usual, Roger has his
panties
in a bunch because he can't mail order them. .177s below 700fps are
considered toys and you get then at the toystore. Above 177 or above 700
fps
you have to get from a gun dealer.

Paul K. Dickman

Of course, he can mail order his 9mm handguns and carry permit. g

--
Ed Huntress

I can order a gun online and have it shipped to a FFL dealer. Since the air
rifle is not a firearm, this doesn't apply but the shipping restriction to
Illinois still applies. I can do this at walmart.com but they don't have
the $229 Hatsan 125 in 25 caliber but they do have the Benjamin Marauder in
25 caliber for $525 and it takes a $150 3000 PSI hand pump, $650 was a bit
more than I wanted to spend but the PCP's are supposed to be much nicer than
the break barrel rifles.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 May 2016 20:03:22 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. ..

On Sun, 29 May 2016 18:34:52 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

snip

[...]

So how are they shipped to Walmart? Can't it be shipped to an FFL
dealer? If not, I'll ask again -- how does Walmart get them?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

On Sun, 29 May 2016 18:34:52 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

snip

[...]

I mentioned in an earlier post but forgot to restate, I have to select an
out of state Wal-Mart, closest maybe 60 miles away.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
m...

On Sun, 29 May 2016 18:34:52 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

snip

[...]

Jeez, that's worse than NJ. We can have one shipped to any FFL dealer.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 May 2016 15:45:30 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

[...]

Well. If you are happy there, really, truly, happy, and don't want to
move.... then why do you bitch.

Or to put it another way, if it is so bad that you need to bitch about
it, just move.

--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 5:57:18 PM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
wrote in message

snip
[...]

Goodness! All you need to do is get in the car and drive down to the
store and whip out some money and buy one? A tremendous imposition!

But in reply to Ed's post. Do you mean that rubber band "sling shots"
are banned or the grown up versions with the strings and all?

Remember, David did not kill Goliath with rubber bands :-)
--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 5:57:18 PM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
wrote in message

snip
[...]

Yup. Rubber-band slingshots are banned throughout the state. g

Some states outlaw the wrist-rocket type, with the piece that goes
over your wrist, but in NJ, it's all of them.

Remember, David did not kill Goliath with rubber bands :-)

You remind me of things that were said during the big controversy over
"dangerous weapons" here. Someone asked if slings were being outlawed.
The state senators seemed confused about the question. They're more of
the brass knuckles and blackjacks types, anyway.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .

On Sun, 29 May 2016 21:13:50 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:
snip

So how are they shipped to Walmart? Can't it be shipped to an FFL
dealer? If not, I'll ask again -- how does Walmart get them?

--
Ed Huntress

I mentioned in an earlier post but forgot to restate, I have to select an
out of state Wal-Mart, closest maybe 60 miles away.

RogerN

Jeez, that's worse than NJ. We can have one shipped to any FFL dealer.

--
Ed Huntress

I haven't found anything very clear online. I have noticed the guns for
sale at the sporting goods stores, if the gun is 22 caliber, it's either
under 700FPS or not in stores in Illinois. Pyramid Air and Airgun Depot
both suggest having the guns shipped to an out of state friend or business
and get it that way. Walmart won't send to my local WalMart store (that
sells firearms) but they won't even ship a PCP hand air pump to the local
store.

Before the 2012 updated law, I bought a Gamo Big Cat 1250 spring piston
break barrel air rifle. The store, Dick's Sporting Goods, said the law was
so unclear they did the FFL transfer form and 24 hour wait/background check
just to make sure.

There is probably some airgun dealer that knows how to get them, maybe from
one FFL dealer to one in state. The one I'm interested in is the Hatsan 125
in 25 caliber and I haven't found anyone in Illinois that sells Hatsan to
see if they can get 25 caliber. The nearest I have found them is Midway USA
and that's about 4 hour drive away.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 5:57:18 PM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
wrote in message

snip
[...]

Maybe someone should have asked about Crécy or Aquincourt. All king of
bad things out there :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 5:57:18 PM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
wrote in message

snip
[...]

Errr... "All kinD of" :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No they cant bro. IL dems cant be trusted and will always be corrupt. Our gov's and last pre confirm all of this. Corrupt corrupt corrupt. There are no true dems left. Cant wait to leave this state like everyone else. I hope chicago ends up like Detroit. **** IL and everyone that is supposedly in charge of this state.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This State is rediculous in all measures. Corruption and bad law will be the demise of this state. Theres not enough marijuana in the world to keep ppl here. **** YOU FAT ******* GOVERNOR