DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Science Olympiad 2016 (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/391921-science-olympiad-2016-a.html)

Ignoramus4339 March 14th 16 06:15 PM

Science Olympiad 2016

We had a science olympiad this year, a regional event.

My son participated in two events, Air Trajectory (where you make and
fire a air operated cannon) and Robot arm, where you are supposed to
build a robot that collects stuff and places stuff into egg boxes.

He got 2nd place in both events, here's a video of a perfect bucket
shot that he made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41XA8K7y6cc

And here's a video of the robot arm robot. It did not do a perfect job
because some screws came loose. But it came 2nd. Most people's robots
flat out did not work or barely did. The manually controlled ones
were way too slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUDNXD4QQy8

His school got enough 1st and 2nd places to be admitted to the State
Olympiad.

I do realize, having been at the State last year, and having won 1st
place for Robocross, that State is a much more difficult competition,
people will show up with completed products and about half of kids
will be practiced.

I am really psyched up to help him win the State this year and am
unhealthily obsessed with winning the State on both competitions.