Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Outboard Steam engine motor

If you could plumb steam to the engine you might be able to do this, but
there's likely no way to put reasomable power in an outboard engine with
the boiler requirements.

There have been a number of successful designs that have accomplished this goal. You won't get 150hp out of it, but certainly enough power to move a small skiff at a decent speed- 8hp or so. Traditional boiler designs are too heavy, but the Serpollet monotube works quite well. Check out Wally Mounster and Terry William's designs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIH0kvBm5xw

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
If you could plumb steam to the engine you might be able to do this,
but
there's likely no way to put reasomable power in an outboard engine
with
the boiler requirements.

There have been a number of successful designs that have accomplished
this goal. You won't get 150hp out of it, but certainly enough power
to move a small skiff at a decent speed- 8hp or so. Traditional boiler
designs are too heavy, but the Serpollet monotube works quite well.
Check out Wally Mounster and Terry William's designs.

http://www.456fis.org/BESLER_STEAM_AIRPLANE.htm

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 11:26:26 AM UTC-5, wrote:
If you could plumb steam to the engine you might be able to do this, but
there's likely no way to put reasomable power in an outboard engine with
the boiler requirements.

There have been a number of successful designs that have accomplished
this goal. You won't get 150hp out of it, but certainly enough power
to move a small skiff at a decent speed- 8hp or so. Traditional boiler
designs are too heavy, but the Serpollet monotube works quite well.
Check out Wally Mounster and Terry William's designs.

Nuclear powered naval vessels use steam turbine technology (for steam to mechanical). Is that what the OP meant back in 1996 or so? Even then, maybe that's too big of a system.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 9:26:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
If you could plumb steam to the engine you might be able to do this, but
there's likely no way to put reasomable power in an outboard engine with
the boiler requirements.

There have been a number of successful designs that have accomplished this goal. You won't get 150hp out of it, but certainly enough power to move a small skiff at a decent speed- 8hp or so. Traditional boiler designs are too heavy, but the Serpollet monotube works quite well. Check out Wally Mounster and Terry William's designs.

You are exactly right, Chas. Thanks for mentioning my steam outboard. I ran it for a number of years beginning in 1989, and accumulated over 1500 hours on it. It now sits on my patio in need of a little TLC

Terry Williams

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Halpenny" wrote in message
On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 11:01:05 AM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
on Fri, 26 Oct 2018 20:54:20 -0700 (PDT)
typed
wrote:
If you could plumb steam to the engine you might be able to do
this, but
there's likely no way to put reasomable power in an outboard
engine with
the boiler requirements.

There have been a number of successful designs that have
accomplished this goal. You won't get 150hp out of it, but
certainly enough power to move a small skiff at a decent speed-
8hp or so. Traditional boiler designs are too heavy, but the
Serpollet monotube works quite well. Check out Wally Mounster and
Terry William's designs.

You are exactly right, Chas. Thanks for mentioning my steam
outboard. I ran it for a number of years beginning in 1989, and
accumulated over 1500 hours on it. It now sits on my patio in need
of a little TLC

Terry Williams

Somewhere around here, I've the plans for a Steam Powered Model
Aeroplane from ~1908.
Not sure it would scale up, though.

The Maxim steam airplane had two 180 hp steam engines and a hundred
foot wingspan..... in 1893.
http://www.flyingmachines.org/maxim.html

John

==================================
https://www.livescience.com/32436-wh...on-to-fly.html

Lindbergh wasn't even close to the first to fly cross the Atlantic,
either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 13:03:11 -0800 (PST), John Halpenny
wrote:

[...]

Dont forget the Bessler Steam Powered aircraft that few quite nicely
in 1933

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6NFmcnW-8

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---