DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs.... (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/391634-re-no-gorbal-warming-58-yrs.html)

whit3rd March 8th 16 10:09 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 5:17:57 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:
http://realclimatescience.com/2016/0...-for-58-years/

Fascinating...really fascinating.....

No, irrelevant. You don't ignore the heat capacity of oceans, soil, and dismiss
the temperature of lower atmosphere that's in contact with the oceans and soil,
if you want a temperature measurement. That upper-atmosphere data is
of such a tiny bit of matter, by comparison, that it can be safely ignored.
The temperature of the vacuum of space is measurable; it can't tell you
anything about global warming, either.

Gunner Asch[_6_] March 8th 16 11:00 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 13:09:31 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 5:17:57 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:
http://realclimatescience.com/2016/0...-for-58-years/

Fascinating...really fascinating.....

No, irrelevant. You don't ignore the heat capacity of oceans, soil, and dismiss
the temperature of lower atmosphere that's in contact with the oceans and soil,
if you want a temperature measurement. That upper-atmosphere data is
of such a tiny bit of matter, by comparison, that it can be safely ignored.
The temperature of the vacuum of space is measurable; it can't tell you
anything about global warming, either.

Yet the global temperature has remained unchanged for 58 yrs..and the
ice packs are as big as they have always been. Or are you claiming
that they are not measuring the global temps properly? Please
elucidate and tell us how its wrong, and give us examples of where its
wrong. Take all the white space you need.

And tell us why Nasa and Oceania data is bogus. Again..use all the
white space you feel the need to use.

We will be waiting with sunburned bated breath

Gunner

---

whit3rd March 9th 16 07:32 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 5:17:57 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:
http://realclimatescience.com/2016/0...-for-58-years/

Fascinating...really fascinating.....

No, irrelevant. You don't ignore the heat capacity of oceans, soil, and dismiss
the temperature of lower atmosphere that's in contact with the oceans and soil,
if you want a temperature measurement. That upper-atmosphere data is
of such a tiny bit of matter, by comparison, that it can be safely ignored.
The temperature of the vacuum of space is measurable; it can't tell you
anything about global warming, either.

Yet the global temperature has remained unchanged for 58 yrs..

In the last 58 years I recall, it has been cold every winter and warm every
summer. What planet are you from?

Gunner Asch[_6_] March 9th 16 08:03 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 5:17:57 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:
http://realclimatescience.com/2016/0...-for-58-years/

Fascinating...really fascinating.....

No, irrelevant. You don't ignore the heat capacity of oceans, soil, and dismiss
the temperature of lower atmosphere that's in contact with the oceans and soil,
if you want a temperature measurement. That upper-atmosphere data is
of such a tiny bit of matter, by comparison, that it can be safely ignored.
The temperature of the vacuum of space is measurable; it can't tell you
anything about global warming, either.

Yet the global temperature has remained unchanged for 58 yrs..

In the last 58 years I recall, it has been cold every winter and warm every
summer. What planet are you from?

Were you dropped on your head recently, or did you have a stroke? Off
your meds? Or simply a Global Warming Zealot who is ****y about the
data I provided?

Gunner

---

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 9th 16 01:15 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Here's another article for you:
http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...on_record.html

Dissent is a sacred duty of the Left, but a dangerous heresy from the
Right.

Ignoramus1161 March 9th 16 02:21 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

Joseph Gwinn March 9th 16 02:49 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Mar 9, 2016, Ignoramus1161 wrote
(in ):

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

Do you recall when the name went from Global Warming to Climate Change? The
reason for the new name is that the predicted rise in temperature is not
happening. Instead, the rate of rise flattened out, and the deviation from
prediction keeps increasing. There are many articles in the scientific press
(here meaning Nature and Science, which I subscribe to) trying to explain the
anomaly, without much success so far.

The now common statement that current year is the warmest ever, while
literally true, is misleading in that it does not address the fact that the
rate of rise is not following the current models. The google search term for
this is €śclimate hiatus€ť.

Here is a graph showing the climate hiatus that people are trying to explain.
The East Anglica folk were trying to obscure the toe of this failure to
follow the models, and said if the hiatus continued for fifteen years, it
would be a big problem. This was in 2009, but they were referring to the
start of the divergence in 1995 or so.

..http://judithcurry.com/2015/12/17/cl...ersus-climate-
reality/#more-20667

Also lots of comparisons of various models with observation.

Judith Curry is an apostate in that she objected to the APS becoming an
advocacy organization:

..http://judithcurry.com/2013/03/24/american-physical-society/

Joe Gwinn

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 9th 16 03:43 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

"Ignoramus1161" wrote in message
I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking?
And
so does the Arctic ice?

You are being served cherry-picked data:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...tinues-to-lose

Ignoramus1161 March 9th 16 04:42 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On 2016-03-09, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
On Mar 9, 2016, Ignoramus1161 wrote
(in ):

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

Do you recall when the name went from Global Warming to Climate Change? The
reason for the new name is that the predicted rise in temperature is not
happening. Instead, the rate of rise flattened out, and the deviation from
prediction keeps increasing. There are many articles in the scientific press
(here meaning Nature and Science, which I subscribe to) trying to explain the
anomaly, without much success so far.

The now common statement that current year is the warmest ever, while
literally true, is misleading in that it does not address the fact that the
rate of rise is not following the current models. The google search term for
this is ???climate hiatus???.

Here is a graph showing the climate hiatus that people are trying to explain.
The East Anglica folk were trying to obscure the toe of this failure to
follow the models, and said if the hiatus continued for fifteen years, it
would be a big problem. This was in 2009, but they were referring to the
start of the divergence in 1995 or so.

.http://judithcurry.com/2015/12/17/cl...ersus-climate-
reality/#more-20667

Also lots of comparisons of various models with observation.

Judith Curry is an apostate in that she objected to the APS becoming an
advocacy organization:

.http://judithcurry.com/2013/03/24/american-physical-society/

Joe Gwinn

Joe, I am far from a believer in global warming. I have not yet made
up my mind on it. I look for anything that I can find to confirm or
disconfirm it. So far the best evidence for me was melting of
glaciers.

Neon John March 9th 16 05:06 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 07:21:10 -0600, Ignoramus1161
wrote:

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

The earth goes through natural climate cycles every few hundred years.
Europe (and probably the rest of the world but only European records
survive) went through a mini-ice-age in the 1600's. The cycles seem
to last about 1000 years so it seems to me that we're peaking on the
warm side of this same cycle and should start cooling again in a
hundred years or so.

No one that matters denies that the earth is warming. The debate is
over the cause. Those of us who haven't drank the Kool-aid have
simply drawn the conclusion from data presented that the warming is
part of a natural cycle.

The problem is that this research has become politicized and moneyed.
If you go along with anthropogenic global warming (AGM), there are
vast riches and reputations to be made.

OTOH, question the orthodoxy and you risk your career, your reputation
and your funding.

If AGM is so real then why do the True Believers have to fudge and
make up data, tinker with models until they get the results they want
and still the resulting warming is tiny and not statistically
significant from the model of the natural cycle.

There is ample history of this in science. Consider phlogiston from
past years. The orthodoxy was that phlogiston was an undetectable
substance that escaped from burning material and was the source of the
fire and heat. When Priestly discovered oxygen and developed the
oxidation theory of combustion, he was practically an outcast for many
years.

Or we can go back a few years to the hysteria over global cooling.
Remember that one?

I'm like a Misourian and demand that they "Show me" with hard data.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 9th 16 06:47 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

Or we can go back a few years to the hysteria over global cooling.
Remember that one?

I'm like a Misourian and demand that they "Show me" with hard data.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

The same Dr. James Hansen who raised the alarm about Global Warming in
1988 had participated in the 1971 Global Cooling scare.
http://www.democracynow.org/2015/12/...en_warns_world

http://scottishsceptic.co.uk/2015/03...ing-consensus/
"They also had available a computer program developed by Dr James
Hansen there to study the optical properties of the clouds of Venus.
.... They found no need to worry about the carbon dioxide fuel-burning
puts in the atmosphere."

http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abs/ra00600k.html

--jsw

Gunner Asch[_6_] March 9th 16 10:06 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

You mean this ice?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature...e-caps-melting

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/...ecord-maximum/

Check the second link...see who it is? Might want to review your
choices in data a bit more...carefully.

---

Gunner Asch[_6_] March 9th 16 10:44 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 09:42:55 -0600, Ignoramus1161
wrote:

On 2016-03-09, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

Well.....not so much evidence as you would think...from 6 yrs ago..

http://www.iceagenow.com/Our_glacier...ot_melting.htm

From LAST year...

http://iceagenow.info/category/glaci...und-the-world/

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barb...ers-are-stable

http://canadafreepress.com/article/o...s-from-al-gore

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...sts-claim.html

etc etc etc.

---

Gunner Asch[_6_] March 9th 16 10:48 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 11:06:50 -0500, Neon John wrote:

No one that matters denies that the earth is warming.

So Nasa doesnt matter?

http://www.investors.com/politics/ed...ent-is-hiding/

http://www.climatedepot.com/

---

Larry Jaques[_4_] March 10th 16 01:47 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 07:15:29 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

No wonder the Left hates Lindzen. He told it like it is, all the way
back in 1996. And his paper in 2012 shafted the Left's politics in
"science". http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0809/0809.3762.pdf

--
Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at
a distance but to do what lies clearly at hand.

[email protected] March 10th 16 01:54 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps he was dropped on his head, or at least it appears that
someone was.The reference you gave (above) only shows Troposphere
temperatures and a second graph for radiosonde temperatures from 5,000
to 40,000 ft. Air temperature, in other words.

And even worse, both charts show a very distinct temperature change
from year to year.

Do you really think that air temperature at 40,000 ft. is a realistic
indication of global, or any other sort of, warming? Especially when
it varies every year?

They say that "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy,
wealthy and wise", but apparently actually reading one's references
before opening one's mouth helps a lot in the "Wise" department.
--
Cheers,

Schweik

Larry Jaques[_4_] March 10th 16 02:28 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

Questions here, too. If Algore is an environmentalist, why was he
spending over $30,000 a year to heat and cool his home? And if his
movie was realistic, why did the Brits ban it from showing in UK
schools? And if polar bears were drowning, why didn't they just move
with the ice? ;) P.S: Algore finally admitted that was entirely CGI
and that he made up the polar bear story. Then again, I just saw
another picture of a dead polar bear captioned on yet another AGWK
story recently. sigh They just don't get it.

Now, your answer:

Check the rest of the Earth. When one area loses ice, ice builds in
another area. It happens the same way each year with the seasons, but
that's called "weather", which is what people are reacting to. Earth
is between ice ages and will continue to warm (or remain stable like
the past decade+) until the next ice age.

Also see these books:

_State of Fear_ The excellent fictional book by Michael Crichton
which first led me to question the media and global alarmists.

_The Skeptical Environmentalist_
Bjorn Lomborg (formerly of Greenpeace)

_The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and
Environmentalism_
Chris Horner

_Terrestrial Energy_
William Tucker

_Meltdown: The Predictable Distortion of Global Warming by Scientists,
Politicians, and the Media_
Patrick J. Michaels

_Hard Green: Saving the Environment from Environmentalists_
by Peter Huber

_Unstoppable Global Warming, Every 1500 Years_
Patrick J. Michaels

_The Greatest Hoax: How the Global Warming Conspiracy Threatens Your
Future_
Senator James Inhofe

_The Deliberate Corruption of Climate Science_
Tim Ball

_Climate of Corruption: Politics and Power Behind The Global Warming
Hoax_
Larry Bell

[email protected] March 10th 16 04:09 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

On 2016-03-09, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

From LAST year...

http://iceagenow.info/category/glaci...und-the-world/

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barb...ers-are-stable

http://canadafreepress.com/article/o...s-from-al-gore

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...sts-claim.html

etc etc etc.

etc etc etc indeed.

If you investigate even slightly you would have discovered that the
reason that some Himalayan glaciers are increasing while the rest of
the world's glaciers are decreasing is quite simple. Higher then
normal precipitation in the area.

See:
http://www.livescience.com/48256-asi...stability.html
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barb...ers-are-stable
http://www.livescience.com/19696-kar...d-melting.html
--
Cheers,

Schweik

John B.[_6_] March 10th 16 04:26 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

On 2016-03-09, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

There have certainly been large variations in the earth's temperature.
You might want to look at
http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
or
http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/gla...e-core-basics/
which shows an interesting relationship between temperature and the
atmosphere content of CO2 and Dust.

or google on "Vostok Ice Core" for more information regarding periodic
changes in the earth's temperature.

--
cheers,

John B.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 10th 16 05:02 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 5:17:57 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:
http://realclimatescience.com/2016/0...-for-58-years/

Do you really think that air temperature at 40,000 ft. is a
realistic
indication of global, or any other sort of, warming? Especially when
it varies every year?
Schweik

That is the region where the CO2 becomes thin and cold enough to stop
reabsorbing thermal radiation emitted from lower levels and is able to
dissipate the heat out into space, where the satellites can measure
the rate of heat flow. It's like the Rio Grande for illegals.
http://missionscience.nasa.gov/ems/1...ionbudget.html

https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/...d-not-the-co2/

--jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 10th 16 05:06 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

http://joannenova.com.au/

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 10th 16 05:28 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

...Then again, I just saw
another picture of a dead polar bear captioned on yet another AGWK
story recently. sigh They just don't get it.

Polar bears don't become trapped on ice floes, they hunt and catch
seals from them.
http://www.polarbearsinternational.o...ive-polar-bear
" At first, when the bear slipped into the water, he swam on the
surface but then he dove and was completely out of sight as he swam
toward them underwater in what we call an aquatic stalk."

--jsw

Ed Huntress March 10th 16 06:10 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

What's your point here, Jim? Did you follow the sources quoted in that
story?

“Everywhere we look, the climate change signal for extreme heat events
is becoming stronger,” said Andrew King, a climate extremes research
fellow at the University of Melbourne, Australia and lead author of
the study. “Recent record-breaking hot years globally were so much
outside natural variability that they were almost impossible without
global warming.” -- "Emergence of heat extremes attributable to
anthropogenic influences": Andrew D. King.

--
Ed Huntress

whit3rd March 10th 16 06:45 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

Questions here, too. If Algore is an environmentalist, why was he
spending over $30,000 a year to heat and cool his home?

Not pertinent to global climate. Observations of glaciation and ice ARE pertinent.

Also see these books:

[long list]

Einstein once was confronted with a pamphlet, 'One Hundred Authors Against Einstein',
and mused, "Why a hundred? If I am wrong, one is enough."

He didn't bother to read the material, I trust.

The fact is, you can get a vanity-press book published for a few dollars, and written
for a few cents a word, by a polished prose craftsman. It doesn't have meet
any kind of scrutiny or undergo any fact checking. So, find me a bit of writing
on the subject IN THE PEER REVIEWED LITERATURE, if you expect to be taken seriously.

Ed Huntress March 10th 16 07:09 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Uhhh...Larry is not taken seriously when he jumps on one of his hobby
horses, like global warming. Ask him how many of those books he has
actually read. Then ask him how he would evaluate the "evidence" they
present, and how he would evaluate the contradicting evidence.

He has no way of judging either one. Neither does Gunner. As for Tom,
he just likes to stir the pot. d8-)

His list of authors could have been selected from a rogue's gallery of
curmudgeons who spend as much time in litigation, suing people and
being sued, as they do in writing their polemics. Tim Ball, for
instance, is a particularly creepy example. It's worth looking him up.

But I have to object to your characterization of how much people pay
freelancers to write. It's more like 75 cents/word for a
garden-variety freelancer, and much more if they can cook up a good
pile of polemical bull****.

If you really want to know how much the oil and coal companies pay
these turds, read _Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an
Ex-Conservative_, by David Brock. He was the only "journalist" in
Washington who drove a 600-Series Mercedes Benz.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner Asch[_6_] March 10th 16 11:02 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Yes and? Or are you thinking that ground temperature will be vastly
different and "more accurate" than corresponding air temperatures?
Lets see ...big industrial area..lots of pavement parking lots and
black asphalt...its going to read very hot..yet across the
street...snow on the ground ..

So what will the air temperature be above the area? Hummm?

Given that most recording thermometers have been located in ...urban
areas, airports just off the flight lines, on asphalt parking lots
rather than in rural areas ...what do YOU think the temp readings will
show? Humm?
The boffins call those areas.."heat islands". Given that until
recently, most measurements were made smack dab in the middle of those
"heat islands"...just how realistic do you think they are? Hummm?

Lets look at an infrared photo from above the Boston area shall we?
http://www.urbanheatislands.com/_/rs...urban_area.png

So tell me...which part of the photo has the correct overall
temperature? Hummm? Snicker....

http://www.urbanheatislands.com/\

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/11/1...-temperatures/

You may wish to read this article by a very respected meterologist

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&u act=8&ved=0ahUKEwib55Xz7bXLAhVG0GMKHe2UAOUQFggxMAM &url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.friendsofscience.org%2Fasset s%2Fdocuments%2FFoS_Urban%2520Heat%2520Island.pdf& usg=AFQjCNF1MWDH7FlW8-4F-zibGg1Qk-mghw&sig2=kLkf1w7gAXVA_kGsfoCCMw

Sorry about the long link..I dont know how to shorten it. Its a PDF
file. Get back to me AFTER you read it.

And even worse, both charts show a very distinct temperature change
from year to year.

Of course there is a temperature change from year to year. No two
years are ever the same. And? Its the long term average that is
used..not one year to the next. Im a dummy...but even I know that.

Do you really think that air temperature at 40,000 ft. is a realistic
indication of global, or any other sort of, warming? Especially when
it varies every year?

Yep. Or are you claiming that the temperature measured in downtown
Boston should be the calibration point? Really?

They say that "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy,
wealthy and wise", but apparently actually reading one's references
before opening one's mouth helps a lot in the "Wise" department.

So does knowing something about the subject. Apparently you seem to
jump on and wave around data points you have no comprehension about.
If Im the self admitted dummy...son..you are as stupid as a stone
statue.

Gunner

---

Gunner Asch[_6_] March 10th 16 11:46 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

Questions here, too. If Algore is an environmentalist, why was he
spending over $30,000 a year to heat and cool his home?

Not pertinent to global climate. Observations of glaciation and ice ARE pertinent.

Yes indeed they are.

Also see these books:

[long list]

Einstein once was confronted with a pamphlet, 'One Hundred Authors Against Einstein',
and mused, "Why a hundred? If I am wrong, one is enough."

He didn't bother to read the material, I trust.

The fact is, you can get a vanity-press book published for a few dollars, and written
for a few cents a word, by a polished prose craftsman. It doesn't have meet
any kind of scrutiny or undergo any fact checking. So, find me a bit of writing
on the subject IN THE PEER REVIEWED LITERATURE, if you expect to be taken seriously.

I actually did. You didnt much like it.

Gunner

---

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 10th 16 12:46 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

How have you practiced reducing your personal carbon footprint before
you are forced to? Do you even have a clothesline?

Ed Huntress March 10th 16 01:14 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Why should I care? And what does it have to do with my question?

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 10th 16 01:45 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Lets look at an infrared photo from above the Boston area shall we?
http://www.urbanheatislands.com/_/rs...urban_area.png

So tell me...which part of the photo has the correct overall
temperature? Hummm? Snicker....

http://www.urbanheatislands.com/\

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/11/1...-temperatures/

If you can follow it, this article explains how CO2 dominates the heat
radiation lost to space from the upper atmosphere at certain
wavelengths, allowing us to measure its contribution to Earth's energy
flow without the confusion from other sources that the maps show.
http://clivebest.com/blog/?p=1169
"At these levels there is little water vapour and CO2 dominates the
energy loss."

"Therefore the main physics arguement supporting enhanced global
warming caused by increasing levels of CO2 is the in height and
thereby lower temperature of the effective radiating level of the
atmosphere to space."

"As we rise up in the atmosphere so the density falls exponentially
and only at heights of 8-9 kms does the atmosphere then become
transparent in the main CO2 bands allowing energy loss direct to
space."

"Feedback Effects" exposes the main weakness of AGW theory, the
unproven assumption that water will amplify the admittedly tiny
contribution of CO2 to global warming.

This is analogous to measuring rainfall by observing the water flowing
over a dam. There are too many ways that water can enter the lake, but
only one way for it to leave, and the output has to balance the input;
the lake can't store much extra water because a small rise in its
level greatly increases the flow over the dam.

Similarly measuring CO2's radiative emission into space with
satellites bypasses the complication of all the ways CO2 receives
and -briefly- stores heat from the Earth. CO2 can't permanently trap
heat, only modulate its release.

--jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 10th 16 01:59 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 23:06:10 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
m...
wrote:

[...]

Have you swallowed the Left's voodoo that these AGW restrictions you
support will only punish those evil rich folks who supply you with the
energy you depend on, without affecting you personally?

--jsw

Ignoramus26799 March 10th 16 04:44 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

You mean this ice?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature...e-caps-melting

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/...ecord-maximum/

Check the second link...see who it is? Might want to review your
choices in data a bit more...carefully.

---

Very interesting. Maybe I should buy some real estate on a Florida
beach... just kidding

Ed Huntress March 10th 16 05:10 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

You mean this ice?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature...e-caps-melting

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/...ecord-maximum/

Check the second link...see who it is? Might want to review your
choices in data a bit more...carefully.

Yeah, like the second link. Do you EVER read the stuff you link to?
Iggy asks about Arctic ice, and Gunner posts a link from NASA that
says:

"Since the late 1970s, the Arctic has lost an average of 20,800 square
miles (53,900 square kilometers) of ice a year; the Antarctic has
gained an average of 7,300 square miles (18,900 sq km).

"The upward trend in the Antarctic, however, is only about a third of
the magnitude of the rapid loss of sea ice in the Arctic Ocean."

Sometimes I wonder how Gunner made it through high school.

---

Very interesting. Maybe I should buy some real estate on a Florida
beach... just kidding

Try buying something around, say, Opa-locka. Your kids may wind up
with beach-front. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Ignoramus26799 March 10th 16 05:29 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Ed, I did see that, but when one place is shrinking and another is
growing, you have to wonder what is going on.

---

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 10th 16 05:43 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

"Ignoramus26799" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking?
And
so does the Arctic ice?

You mean this ice?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature...e-caps-melting

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/...ecord-maximum/

Check the second link...see who it is? Might want to review your
choices in data a bit more...carefully.

---
software.

Very interesting. Maybe I should buy some real estate on a Florida
beach... just kidding

To confuse the matter, land also rises and falls: mile-high Denver was
once below sea level.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Interior_Seaway

In recorded history some Mediterranean coastlines have submerged, the
sea has moved back from others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermopylae
"Between 480 BC and the 21st century, the shoreline advanced by as
much as 9 km (5.6 mi) in places,..."

Mean sea levels differ by ~20 cm at the two ends of the Panama Canal.
Depending on tides the Pacific side can be 12' higher than the
Atlantic.

--jsw

Ed Huntress March 10th 16 05:50 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Well, read the whole article. This has been discussed in the
literature for at least a few years. They suspect it represents a
change in global weather patterns (not overall climate), resulting in
a low-pressure area over the Amundson Sea:

"... in the Bellingshausen Sea just to the west of the peninsula the
sea ice is shrinking. Beyond the Bellingshausen Sea and past the
Amundsen Sea, lies the Ross Sea – where much of the sea ice growth is
occurring. The Ross Sea region has seen some of the largest increases
in Antarctic sea ice extent.

"That suggests that a low-pressure system centered in the Amundsen Sea
could be intensifying or becoming more frequent in the area, she said
– changing the wind patterns and circulating warm air over the
peninsula, while sweeping cold air from the Antarctic continent over
the Ross Sea."

The deniers tend to seize on local weather events and assume they
represent larger climate events. The bottom line is that polar ice is
shrinking three times faster than it's growing.

--
Ed Huntress

---

Ed Huntress March 10th 16 06:12 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 23:06:10 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
om...
wrote:

[...]

Are you saying that your economic philosophy trumps the science?

This is what prompted my question: You've generally been on the
anti-AGM side of these discussions, but then you post a link to an
article that says, to repeat:

"Recent record-breaking hot years globally were so much outside
natural variability that they were almost impossible without global
warming." This, in an article titled "Emergence of heat extremes
attributable to anthropogenic influences."

So this is the question: Have you changed your position, or did you do
a Gunner and not read the article you linked to?

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 10th 16 06:45 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
m...
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 23:06:10 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
news:n0h1ebl2nmu7l7d4qm61vf4hugvh1fl6cs@4ax. com...
wrote:

[...]

I can't confirm or deny the validity of AGW. I merely call out the
blatant deceptions of its fervent acolytes, while trying to learn to
live with the shortages and restrictions that will surely happen if
you ever get all you demand. This means needing less rather than
having more.

--jsw

Ed Huntress March 10th 16 07:14 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Neither can anyone else in this NG. But it's sometimes entertaining to
watch them try.

I merely call out the
blatant deceptions of its fervent acolytes...

In this case, what you were "calling out" was unclear -- unless it's
all of Larry's claims and citations.

You linked to a claim by a real climatologist that says the evidence
of warming is almost impossible to explain without "anthropogenic
influences."

...while trying to learn to
live with the shortages and restrictions that will surely happen if
you ever get all you demand.

Is there something I'm demanding? If so, I'm unaware of it.

This means needing less rather than
having more.

It looks to me like we have more than ever before. I'm not complaining
about it.

--
Ed Huntress

--jsw

[email protected] March 10th 16 10:53 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:14:45 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

Ed, you are one kind soul to attempt to bring facts and reason into
this discussion. My take on the subject is that it is one of many
where regular Joes should best accept the collective wisdom of the
experts. I'm surprised that I'm still incredulous about small-brained
people having "beliefs" about complicated subjects they judge mostly
by irrelevant personal observations, anecdotes, and fringe web pages.
While digging into the details might be work, finding the
well-researched and well-accepted conclusions is easy. Those who
insist on putting their opinion above the science are frequently
birthers, etc. The willfully ignorant are hopeless and it's a sorry
state of affairs that so much energy is wasted trying to fix them.