DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs.... (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/391634-re-no-gorbal-warming-58-yrs.html)

[email protected] March 10th 16 11:48 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 02:02:52 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 07:54:27 +0700,
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 23:03:47 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 22:32:05 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:03:51 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 13:09:31 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 5:17:57 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:
http://realclimatescience.com/2016/0...-for-58-years/

Fascinating...really fascinating.....

No, irrelevant. You don't ignore the heat capacity of oceans, soil, and dismiss
the temperature of lower atmosphere that's in contact with the oceans and soil,
if you want a temperature measurement. That upper-atmosphere data is
of such a tiny bit of matter, by comparison, that it can be safely ignored.
The temperature of the vacuum of space is measurable; it can't tell you
anything about global warming, either.

Yet the global temperature has remained unchanged for 58 yrs..

In the last 58 years I recall, it has been cold every winter and warm every
summer. What planet are you from?

Were you dropped on your head recently, or did you have a stroke? Off
your meds? Or simply a Global Warming Zealot who is ****y about the
data I provided?

Gunner

Perhaps he was dropped on his head, or at least it appears that
someone was.The reference you gave (above) only shows Troposphere
temperatures and a second graph for radiosonde temperatures from 5,000
to 40,000 ft. Air temperature, in other words.

Yes and? Or are you thinking that ground temperature will be vastly
different and "more accurate" than corresponding air temperatures?
Lets see ...big industrial area..lots of pavement parking lots and
black asphalt...its going to read very hot..yet across the
street...snow on the ground ..

So what will the air temperature be above the area? Hummm?

I assume that you will be properly amazed to discover that the ground
temperature, on a parking lot as you describe, is dissipated very
rapidly as one gains altitude and the formula temp loss = ~3.5 degrees
(F) per 1000 ft. is generally fairly accurate for altitudes up to
about 40,000 ft. So your radiosonde temperatures taken at 40,000 ft
will have very little relationship to what the temperature on the
surface of your parking lot is.

You might try the old example of frying an egg on the pavement. I've
actually seen it done in San Antonio during a particularly hot spell.

Now if your example of all the high temperature above a red hot
parking lot is accurate then people would be frying as they walked
across it to get in their car.

But more to the point Gunner. You really don't have to ask such stupid
questions. The Internet is there and you have access to it and the
amazing amounts of information it contains..

What is really surprising is how adept you seem to be in ignoring it.

Given that most recording thermometers have been located in ...urban
areas, airports just off the flight lines, on asphalt parking lots
rather than in rural areas ...what do YOU think the temp readings will
show? Humm?
The boffins call those areas.."heat islands". Given that until
recently, most measurements were made smack dab in the middle of those
"heat islands"...just how realistic do you think they are? Hummm?

Lets look at an infrared photo from above the Boston area shall we?
http://www.urbanheatislands.com/_/rs...urban_area.png

So tell me...which part of the photo has the correct overall
temperature? Hummm? Snicker....

http://www.urbanheatislands.com/\

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/11/1...-temperatures/

You may wish to read this article by a very respected meterologist

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&u act=8&ved=0ahUKEwib55Xz7bXLAhVG0GMKHe2UAOUQFggxMAM &url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.friendsofscience.org%2Fasset s%2Fdocuments%2FFoS_Urban%2520Heat%2520Island.pdf& usg=AFQjCNF1MWDH7FlW8-4F-zibGg1Qk-mghw&sig2=kLkf1w7gAXVA_kGsfoCCMw

Sorry about the long link..I dont know how to shorten it. Its a PDF
file. Get back to me AFTER you read it.

And even worse, both charts show a very distinct temperature change
from year to year.

Of course there is a temperature change from year to year. No two
years are ever the same. And? Its the long term average that is
used..not one year to the next. Im a dummy...but even I know that.

Do you really think that air temperature at 40,000 ft. is a realistic
indication of global, or any other sort of, warming? Especially when
it varies every year?

Yep. Or are you claiming that the temperature measured in downtown
Boston should be the calibration point? Really?

They say that "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy,
wealthy and wise", but apparently actually reading one's references
before opening one's mouth helps a lot in the "Wise" department.

So does knowing something about the subject. Apparently you seem to
jump on and wave around data points you have no comprehension about.
If Im the self admitted dummy...son..you are as stupid as a stone
statue.

Gunner

---

Cheers,

Schweik

Terry Coombs[_2_] March 11th 16 12:03 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:14:45 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

Ed, you are one kind soul to attempt to bring facts and reason into
this discussion. My take on the subject is that it is one of many
where regular Joes should best accept the collective wisdom of the
experts. I'm surprised that I'm still incredulous about small-brained
people having "beliefs" about complicated subjects they judge mostly
by irrelevant personal observations, anecdotes, and fringe web pages.
While digging into the details might be work, finding the
well-researched and well-accepted conclusions is easy. Those who
insist on putting their opinion above the science are frequently
birthers, etc. The willfully ignorant are hopeless and it's a sorry
state of affairs that so much energy is wasted trying to fix them.

Oh , so we ignorant children should just shut up and go play while our
"betters" decide what's best for us ?
Look asshole , just because I don't have a Phd behind my name doesn't mean
I'm stupid . I can read with good comprehension , and just because I believe
the sources that disagree with the ADMITTED LIARS doing research on global
warming doesn't mean I'm ignorant .
--
Snag

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 12:19 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

Ed, you are one kind soul to attempt to bring facts and reason into
this discussion. My take on the subject is that it is one of many
where regular Joes should best accept the collective wisdom of the
experts. I'm surprised that I'm still incredulous about small-brained
people having "beliefs" about complicated subjects they judge mostly
by irrelevant personal observations, anecdotes, and fringe web pages.
While digging into the details might be work, finding the
well-researched and well-accepted conclusions is easy. Those who
insist on putting their opinion above the science are frequently
birthers, etc. The willfully ignorant are hopeless and it's a sorry
state of affairs that so much energy is wasted trying to fix them.

Thanks, Kidding, but facts and reason have no effect. This thing is
tribal -- like Trump supporters. As we've seen for several years, they
don't even read their own "cites."

There's a good piece on the phenomenon in the NYT today:

http://tinyurl.com/zfg8fmf

As you say, pretending that they -- or any of us here -- know enough
about climatology to have an opinion worth the powder it would take to
blow it to hell is ridiculous. It's all about resentment and
conspiracies.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 12:25 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 12:45:22 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 07:59:06 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
m...
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 06:46:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
news:r102eb14b6vttsoq5offq6q8s30jfpoq79@4ax. com...
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 23:06:10 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
news:n0h1ebl2nmu7l7d4qm61vf4hugvh1fl6cs@4a x.com...
On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 07:21:10 -0600, Ignoramus1161
wrote:

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are
shrinking?
And
so does the Arctic ice?

Questions here, too. If Algore is an environmentalist, why
was
he
spending over $30,000 a year to heat and cool his home? And
if
his
movie was realistic, why did the Brits ban it from showing
in
UK
schools? And if polar bears were drowning, why didn't they
just
move
with the ice? ;) P.S: Algore finally admitted that was
entirely
CGI
and that he made up the polar bear story. Then again, I
just
saw
another picture of a dead polar bear captioned on yet
another
AGWK
story recently. sigh They just don't get it.

Now, your answer:

Check the rest of the Earth. When one area loses ice, ice
builds
in
another area. It happens the same way each year with the
seasons,
but
that's called "weather", which is what people are reacting
to.
Earth
is between ice ages and will continue to warm (or remain
stable
like
the past decade+) until the next ice age.

Also see these books:

_State of Fear_ The excellent fictional book by Michael
Crichton
which first led me to question the media and global
alarmists.

_The Skeptical Environmentalist_
Bjorn Lomborg (formerly of Greenpeace)

_The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and
Environmentalism_
Chris Horner

_Terrestrial Energy_
William Tucker

_Meltdown: The Predictable Distortion of Global Warming by
Scientists,
Politicians, and the Media_
Patrick J. Michaels

_Hard Green: Saving the Environment from Environmentalists_
by Peter Huber

_Unstoppable Global Warming, Every 1500 Years_
Patrick J. Michaels

_The Greatest Hoax: How the Global Warming Conspiracy
Threatens
Your
Future_
Senator James Inhofe

_The Deliberate Corruption of Climate Science_
Tim Ball

_Climate of Corruption: Politics and Power Behind The Global
Warming
Hoax_
Larry Bell

http://joannenova.com.au/

What's your point here, Jim? Did you follow the sources quoted
in
that
story?

"Everywhere we look, the climate change signal for extreme
heat
events
is becoming stronger," said Andrew King, a climate extremes
research
fellow at the University of Melbourne, Australia and lead
author
of
the study. "Recent record-breaking hot years globally were so
much
outside natural variability that they were almost impossible
without
global warming." -- "Emergence of heat extremes attributable
anthropogenic influences": Andrew D. King.

--
Ed Huntress

How have you practiced reducing your personal carbon footprint
before
you are forced to? Do you even have a clothesline?

Why should I care? And what does it have to do with my question?

--
Ed Huntress

Have you swallowed the Left's voodoo that these AGW restrictions
you
support will only punish those evil rich folks who supply you with
the
energy you depend on, without affecting you personally?

--jsw

Are you saying that your economic philosophy trumps the science?

This is what prompted my question: You've generally been on the
anti-AGM side of these discussions, but then you post a link to an
article that says, to repeat:

"Recent record-breaking hot years globally were so much outside
natural variability that they were almost impossible without
global
warming." This, in an article titled "Emergence of heat extremes
attributable to anthropogenic influences."

So this is the question: Have you changed your position, or did
you
do
a Gunner and not read the article you linked to?

--
Ed Huntress

I can't confirm or deny the validity of AGW.

Neither can anyone else in this NG. But it's sometimes entertaining
watch them try.

I merely call out the
blatant deceptions of its fervent acolytes...

In this case, what you were "calling out" was unclear -- unless it's
all of Larry's claims and citations.

You linked to a claim by a real climatologist that says the evidence
of warming is almost impossible to explain without "anthropogenic
influences."

...while trying to learn to
live with the shortages and restrictions that will surely happen if
you ever get all you demand.

Is there something I'm demanding? If so, I'm unaware of it.

This means needing less rather than
having more.

It looks to me like we have more than ever before. I'm not
complaining
about it.

--
Ed Huntress

--jsw

You AGW believers collectively. This is what the experts know you
should be doing to reduce your personal carbon footprint:
http://cotap.org/reduce-carbon-footprint/
They forgot about hanging laundry outdoors, the heater in an electric
dryer is a huge unnecessary waste.

Since you have a lathe you can convert round trash barrels ($12 at HD)
into inexpensive rain barrels ($100 at HD) and avoid watering your
lawn with treated drinking water by threading the barbed end of a hose
coupler and mounting it in the lower side wall, with an O ring on the
outside and the appropriate stainless nut and washer on the inside.
Landscaping fabric over hardware cloth across the top will keep out
gutter debris and mosquitos.

During the winter I store chainsaw chips and chopped-up tree branches
from the yard in the barrels, to use as kindling.

Pressing on and clamping a short piece of hose onto the barbs inside
might be enough to make the watertight seal, but the inside bottom of
the barrel is a difficult place to apply much force.

--jsw

[email protected] March 11th 16 01:12 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 02:46:06 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

wrote:

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

Questions here, too. If Algore is an environmentalist, why was he
spending over $30,000 a year to heat and cool his home?

Not pertinent to global climate. Observations of glaciation and ice ARE pertinent.

Yes indeed they are.

Also see these books:

[long list]

Einstein once was confronted with a pamphlet, 'One Hundred Authors Against Einstein',
and mused, "Why a hundred? If I am wrong, one is enough."

He didn't bother to read the material, I trust.

The fact is, you can get a vanity-press book published for a few dollars, and written
for a few cents a word, by a polished prose craftsman. It doesn't have meet
any kind of scrutiny or undergo any fact checking. So, find me a bit of writing
on the subject IN THE PEER REVIEWED LITERATURE, if you expect to be taken seriously.

I actually did. You didnt much like it.

Gunner

If you "actually did" how did you overlook the facts of the matter?

Or do you automatically assume that any notion that occurs to you must
be a "fact".
--
Cheers,

Schweik

John B.[_6_] March 11th 16 01:19 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 07:45:49 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

Lets look at an infrared photo from above the Boston area shall we?
http://www.urbanheatislands.com/_/rs...urban_area.png

So tell me...which part of the photo has the correct overall
temperature? Hummm? Snicker....

http://www.urbanheatislands.com/\

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/11/1...-temperatures/

If you can follow it, this article explains how CO2 dominates the heat
radiation lost to space from the upper atmosphere at certain
wavelengths, allowing us to measure its contribution to Earth's energy
flow without the confusion from other sources that the maps show.
http://clivebest.com/blog/?p=1169
"At these levels there is little water vapour and CO2 dominates the
energy loss."

"Therefore the main physics arguement supporting enhanced global
warming caused by increasing levels of CO2 is the in height and
thereby lower temperature of the effective radiating level of the
atmosphere to space."

"As we rise up in the atmosphere so the density falls exponentially
and only at heights of 8-9 kms does the atmosphere then become
transparent in the main CO2 bands allowing energy loss direct to
space."

"Feedback Effects" exposes the main weakness of AGW theory, the
unproven assumption that water will amplify the admittedly tiny
contribution of CO2 to global warming.

This is analogous to measuring rainfall by observing the water flowing
over a dam. There are too many ways that water can enter the lake, but
only one way for it to leave, and the output has to balance the input;
the lake can't store much extra water because a small rise in its
level greatly increases the flow over the dam.

Similarly measuring CO2's radiative emission into space with
satellites bypasses the complication of all the ways CO2 receives
and -briefly- stores heat from the Earth. CO2 can't permanently trap
heat, only modulate its release.

--jsw

Be that as it may, ice core studies virtually prove that increases in
temperature and increases in CO2 in the atmosphere have been occurring
at the same time for something like 400,000 years.

While this may not "prove" cause and effect they would certainly make
one think that there might be a relationship.

--
cheers,

John B.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 01:51 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

It certainly doesn't prove there was an industrial society filling the
air with CO2 400,000 years ago. We can safely assume that the
temperature and CO2 variations were natural.
http://www.livescience.com/44330-jur...n-dioxide.html

I want to see the questions researched honestly and openly, instead of
suppressing data that doesn't support prejudices.

--jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 02:00 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

You linked to a claim by a real climatologist that says the evidence
of warming is almost impossible to explain without "anthropogenic
influences."

Are you faulting me for -not- suppressing evidence?

--jsw

Rudy Canoza[_5_] March 11th 16 02:06 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

It actually *does* mean you're ignorant, because your disagreement is
based on ignorance and really stupid politics. You have no *factual*
basis for disagreement. You simply look at this in a simplistic, and
simple-minded, good guys / bad guys way. Leftists say that global
warming is real and anthropogenic, and being a stupid right-wing
knuckle-dragger, you reflexively disagree.

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 02:11 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

You linked to a claim by a real climatologist that says the evidence
of warming is almost impossible to explain without "anthropogenic
influences."

Are you faulting me for -not- suppressing evidence?

--jsw

link is all in favor of AGW. You posted it in response to Larry's
anti-AGW comments and his bibliography of denial books. So I asked,
reasonably, if you had changed your position.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 02:36 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

You linked to a claim by a real climatologist that says the
evidence
of warming is almost impossible to explain without "anthropogenic
influences."

Are you faulting me for -not- suppressing evidence?

--jsw

link is all in favor of AGW. You posted it in response to Larry's
anti-AGW comments and his bibliography of denial books. So I asked,
reasonably, if you had changed your position.

--
Ed Huntress

My position was never that AGW was false, you had to make it that to
be an easier target. I've been exposing the evidence tampering on the
pro-AGW side because I'd like to see this important matter
investigated impartially.

The Believer faction behaves as though dissent against AGW dogma is a
personal challenge to the image of superiority they awarded themselves
for demonizing the big energy companies.

--jsw

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 02:40 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

om...

wrote:

[...]

Let's make something clear: I'm not a "believer" in much of anything.
I go with the preponderance of evidence, and I either have it or I
don't.

In this case, I don't have any. Neither does anyone else on this NG.
You guys can pluck out some physical phenomenon and debate about which
way the photons are going, or argue over the methodologies of
measuring temperature, but no one here has any idea how the whole
puzzle fits together.

My neighbor down the street, a retired PhD meteorologist who was the
voice of marine broadcasts for NOAA in NYC for a couple of decades,
laughed when I asked him about climatology. He doesn't know, either.
But, unlike the people arguing here, he's smart enough, and
knowledgable enough, to know that he doesn't know enough about it to
have a worthwhile opinion. And he did weather every day.

So don't lump me with "believers." Believers and disbelievers are
mostly delusional fools who can't stand the anxiety of not knowing, so
they convince themselves that they do in order to give themselves some
anxiety relief and someone to blame -- for anything. I think my
opinion on this is very close to that of whoyakidding.

The only thing we have to work with is our experience with science and
scientists in general, and some knowledge about how often they are
right or not. When 95% of them agree on something, they're usually
right. So I put my money on the winners. That doesn't mean I
"believe." It means I rely on the only rational tool I have to make a
decision, should I have to make one. For the most part, I don't have
to.

This is what the experts know you
should be doing to reduce your personal carbon footprint:
http://cotap.org/reduce-carbon-footprint/

If you aren't one of the "AGW believers, collectively," why would you
bother?

They forgot about hanging laundry outdoors, the heater in an electric
dryer is a huge unnecessary waste.

I did that 40 years ago. Then I got a dryer. I'm not going back. g

Since you have a lathe you can convert round trash barrels ($12 at HD)
into inexpensive rain barrels ($100 at HD) and avoid watering your
lawn with treated drinking water by threading the barbed end of a hose
coupler and mounting it in the lower side wall, with an O ring on the
outside and the appropriate stainless nut and washer on the inside.
Landscaping fabric over hardware cloth across the top will keep out
gutter debris and mosquitos.

I'll bet it would.

During the winter I store chainsaw chips and chopped-up tree branches
from the yard in the barrels, to use as kindling.

Pressing on and clamping a short piece of hose onto the barbs inside
might be enough to make the watertight seal, but the inside bottom of
the barrel is a difficult place to apply much force.

--jsw

You sure go to a lot of trouble for someone who isn't an AGW believer,
collectively or individually.

--
Ed Huntress

Rudy Canoza[_5_] March 11th 16 02:52 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

You're right about that much. There *is* a Believer faction, and they
consider any questioning of their dogma in about the same way as
Islamist radicals consider any criticism of Islam. The Believers want
to wage jihad against skeptics with the same fervor as they do against
dogmatic deniers.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 02:58 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

You sure go to a lot of trouble for someone who isn't an AGW
believer,
collectively or individually.

--
Ed Huntress

I keep hoping to invent something.
--jsw

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 02:58 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 18:03:27 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

[...]

You don't know who the liars are, and it's unlikely that you have or
ever will have any way to know in your lifetime. The fact that you
"believe" in the 5 or 6 percent of climatologists who disagree with
the other 95%, in light of what you are unlikely ever to know, tells
the world that you aren't making a rational decision. You're either
indulging a conspiracy theory or you're going along with a tribe.

--
Ed Huntress

RangersSuck March 11th 16 03:13 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

+5.

As I said before, there is not a member of this group who is qualified inany way to understand or analyse this data. "Because I read it on a right-wing 'news' site" is hardly a sound reason for trashing the findings of 95% of actual scientists.

As I also said before, until Gunner (or any of the other 'deniers' here) presents his credentials, I'll go along with my climatology and oceanography PhD friends. A few years ago, in a moment of self-deprecation, I asked one of them to name the math courses she had taken to prepare for her degree. Not only were the courses way, way, way beyond anything I had ever studied, but I had trouble even understanding the names of most of them. To top it off, she said, "But I'd really like to take some more math courses so I could really understand this [climate data]" So, when Gunner and Larry say they don't believe, well, pffft!

When I asked the same PhD (I was a little tipsy at this point), "So, do you believe in global warming?" Her response was, " you don't 'believe' in global warming. you believe in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. Global warming is as much a fact as gravity."

But I swear that if Rush or Glen Beck or Trump launched a campaign denying gravity and if world net daily picked it up, Gunner et al would be right here on rcm telling us that gravity is just a left-wing plot to sell brassieres to unsuspecting women.

BTW, I'm happy that Jim is something of an environmentalist.

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 03:15 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

You linked to a claim by a real climatologist that says the
evidence
of warming is almost impossible to explain without "anthropogenic
influences."

Are you faulting me for -not- suppressing evidence?

--jsw

link is all in favor of AGW. You posted it in response to Larry's
anti-AGW comments and his bibliography of denial books. So I asked,
reasonably, if you had changed your position.

--
Ed Huntress

My position was never that AGW was false, you had to make it that to
be an easier target.

I don't have to "make it" anything. Your arguments have consistently
been AGW here, for years.

I'm not questioning your basis for that decision. I'm questioning what
your response was supposed to signify, given that you linked to a very
*pro*-AGW article.

I've been exposing the evidence tampering on the
pro-AGW side because I'd like to see this important matter
investigated impartially.

And I question whether you really know what evidence is being tampered
with. The data and other evidence that's tossed around about
anthropogenic warming is a propagandist's dream. It's too complex, and
too easy to obscure, for anyone but an expert to unravel.

The Believer faction behaves as though dissent against AGW dogma is a
personal challenge to the image of superiority they awarded themselves
for demonizing the big energy companies.

That works both ways. On this NG, the overwhelming dogma is anti-AGW.

That's not a surprise, because of he cultural makeup of this NG. The
true believers who get all wound up about it, triumphantly tossing out
links to books and articles they've never read, are pretty extreme
anti-AGW types.

They're not stupid. They're obdurate and they've let their resentment
fester into a perversity of judgment and a tribal association. It
manifests itself in many ways, like Larry, who also thinks that it's
perfectly reasonable, for example, to threaten to shoot government
officials if they don't toe the tribal line.

--
Ed Huntress

--jsw

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 03:26 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

You sure go to a lot of trouble for someone who isn't an AGW
believer,
collectively or individually.

--
Ed Huntress

I keep hoping to invent something.
--jsw

G If I ever invent something, I hope it's really small and light...

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 04:48 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

And I question whether you really know what evidence is being
tampered
with. The data and other evidence that's tossed around about
anthropogenic warming is a propagandist's dream. It's too complex,
and
too easy to obscure, for anyone but an expert to unravel.

Actually the atmospheric energy transport mechanisms are rather basic
and simple, relative to some of the other thermodynamics we had to
learn. We student chemists learned about energy transfer in gases
first because it is so much easier to understand there than in liquids
or solids.

Climate is extensively very complex but not so difficult intensively,
at least if you have a good background in physics and chemistry. The
original "climate scientists" were professional astronomers
investigating the atmospheres of Venus and Mars.

One of the labs in college had a large apparatus set up to measure the
properties of suspected greenhouse and ozone depleting gases at the
low concentrations of the upper atmosphere. I spent a summer operating
and analyzing data from an infrared spectrophotometer, so I became
pretty familiar with the process and the quantum mechanical
interpretation of the squiggles on the spectra.

The real problem is collecting sufficient accurate data from places we
don't have continuous easy access to, such as the lower atmosphere
over oceans or the Brazilian rain forest.

"You guys can pluck out some physical phenomenon and debate about
which
way the photons are going, or argue over the methodologies of
measuring temperature, but no one here has any idea how the whole
puzzle fits together."

Those arguments are basic to the dispute over how to collect and
interpret the data. You've only shown how little your own opinions
mean.

--jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 05:09 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Climate is extensively very complex but not so difficult
intensively, at least if you have a good background in physics and
chemistry.

This is a good short summary in simple English of the physics behind
radiative heat transport:
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_constant

The odd-looking v is the Greek letter nu.

--jsw

Martin Eastburn March 11th 16 05:30 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

During the little ice age - remember that - 1888 iirc. We are still
coming down from it. The massive ice flows started up again and are now
retreating. Just a long time in the process.

The Hudson bay used to be navigable with cargo ships and the little ice
age froze it over. They just found some ships that were frozen in the
pack trying to bring in goods.

History, history is our friend.

Martin

Martin Eastburn March 11th 16 05:36 AM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

Scientists bore a hole down the ice on the south pole.
They were wondering why the ice was thinning. They
found the issue a warm up-flow of water. The mountain
range there is still active and likely a volcano or hot spot
in the mantel that is heating up the center of the large ice pack.

No wonder it is melting and moving out - Has a heater in the base support.

Martin

wrote:

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

You mean this ice?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature...e-caps-melting

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/...ecord-maximum/

Check the second link...see who it is? Might want to review your
choices in data a bit more...carefully.

Yeah, like the second link. Do you EVER read the stuff you link to?
Iggy asks about Arctic ice, and Gunner posts a link from NASA that
says:

"Since the late 1970s, the Arctic has lost an average of 20,800 square
miles (53,900 square kilometers) of ice a year; the Antarctic has
gained an average of 7,300 square miles (18,900 sq km).

"The upward trend in the Antarctic, however, is only about a third of
the magnitude of the rapid loss of sea ice in the Arctic Ocean."

Sometimes I wonder how Gunner made it through high school.

---

Very interesting. Maybe I should buy some real estate on a Florida
beach... just kidding

Try buying something around, say, Opa-locka. Your kids may wind up
with beach-front. d8-)

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 12:30 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
During the little ice age - remember that - 1888 iirc. We are still
coming down from it. The massive ice flows started up again and are
now
retreating. Just a long time in the process.

The Hudson bay used to be navigable with cargo ships and the little
ice age froze it over. They just found some ships that were frozen
in the pack trying to bring in goods.

History, history is our friend.

Martin

I've tried to research early exploration of the New World, such as the
location of Vinland and Prince Henry Sinclair's alleged visit to New
England 100 years before Columbus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westford_Knight
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno_map
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piri_Reis_map

One thing that stands out is that the story of an ice-free Northwest
Passage appeared almost immediately after Columbus, centuries before
we had officially documented knowledge of what was up there. The area
above central Canada wasn't fully mapped until the 1850's, by rescuers
searching for the lost Franklin Expedition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavius_(ship)

--jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 01:24 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
Scientists bore a hole down the ice on the south pole.
They were wondering why the ice was thinning. They
found the issue a warm up-flow of water. The mountain
range there is still active and likely a volcano or hot spot
in the mantel that is heating up the center of the large ice pack.

No wonder it is melting and moving out - Has a heater in the base
support.

Martin

Part of the chain of Antarctic volcanoes:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=85238

The True Believers concocted a tale that the West Antarctic ice sheet
was melting because AGW-induced wind shifts blew warm water far
underneath the ice sheet, to avoid having to admit that the real cause
was a natural volcanic hot spot instead of another excuse to smugly
blame modern society.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/...eaten-away-sea
"What's driving these regional differences in intrusions of warm
water, Schmidtko says, appears to be the current wind patterns. But
these, the authors note, are subject to change, due not only to
greenhouse warming but also to the recovering ozone hole. That, in
turn, could bring warmer waters to regions now dominated by cold
waters, such as the southern Weddell Sea, he adds. "That could have
consequences for glaciers that do not belong to West Antarctica and
could be affected for the first time."

http://www.livescience.com/41847-wes...-hot-spot.html

--jsw

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 01:58 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

And I question whether you really know what evidence is being
tampered
with. The data and other evidence that's tossed around about
anthropogenic warming is a propagandist's dream. It's too complex,
and
too easy to obscure, for anyone but an expert to unravel.

Actually the atmospheric energy transport mechanisms are rather basic
and simple, relative to some of the other thermodynamics we had to
learn.

Climatology is not an exercise in deterministic physics, as you
certainly know.

We student chemists learned about energy transfer in gases
first because it is so much easier to understand there than in liquids
or solids.

Liquids -- the oceans -- are highly involved in climate.

Climate is extensively very complex but not so difficult intensively,
at least if you have a good background in physics and chemistry. The
original "climate scientists" were professional astronomers
investigating the atmospheres of Venus and Mars.

One of the labs in college had a large apparatus set up to measure the
properties of suspected greenhouse and ozone depleting gases at the
low concentrations of the upper atmosphere. I spent a summer operating
and analyzing data from an infrared spectrophotometer, so I became
pretty familiar with the process and the quantum mechanical
interpretation of the squiggles on the spectra.

The real problem is collecting sufficient accurate data from places we
don't have continuous easy access to, such as the lower atmosphere
over oceans or the Brazilian rain forest.

The real problem is that the system is fundamentally chaotic. The
models are based on probability-density functions.

"You guys can pluck out some physical phenomenon and debate about
which
way the photons are going, or argue over the methodologies of
measuring temperature, but no one here has any idea how the whole
puzzle fits together."

Those arguments are basic to the dispute over how to collect and
interpret the data.

Yes, and that makes up at least half of the bull**** about climate
propagated on this newsgroup. The other half is about isolating
transport mechanisms as if climate occurred in a bell jar.

You've only shown how little your own opinions
mean.

I have no opinions about the science, except that the real scientists
are vastly more likely to know what they're talking about than anyone
here. At around 20:1 agreement, they're the safer bet.

--
Ed Huntress

--jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 02:12 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Okay, I get that you are annoyed by attacks on your sacred cow that
you lack the scientific education to directly respond to.

Joe gwinn March 11th 16 02:19 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

In article ,

On 2016-03-09, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
On Mar 9, 2016, Ignoramus1161 wrote
(in ):

I have a question.

If global warming is fake, how come those glaciers are shrinking? And
so does the Arctic ice?

Do you recall when the name went from Global Warming to Climate Change? The
reason for the new name is that the predicted rise in temperature is not
happening. Instead, the rate of rise flattened out, and the deviation from
prediction keeps increasing. There are many articles in the scientific
press
(here meaning Nature and Science, which I subscribe to) trying to explain
the
anomaly, without much success so far.

The now common statement that current year is the warmest ever, while
literally true, is misleading in that it does not address the fact that the
rate of rise is not following the current models. The google search term
for
this is ???climate hiatus???.

Here is a graph showing the climate hiatus that people are trying to
explain.
The East Anglica folk were trying to obscure the toe of this failure to
follow the models, and said if the hiatus continued for fifteen years, it
would be a big problem. This was in 2009, but they were referring to the
start of the divergence in 1995 or so.

.http://judithcurry.com/2015/12/17/cl...ersus-climate-
reality/#more-20667

Also lots of comparisons of various models with observation.

Judith Curry is an apostate in that she objected to the APS becoming an
advocacy organization:

.http://judithcurry.com/2013/03/24/american-physical-society/

Joe Gwinn

Joe, I am far from a believer in global warming. I have not yet made
up my mind on it. I look for anything that I can find to confirm or
disconfirm it. So far the best evidence for me was melting of
glaciers.

The argument is no longer if the Earth is warming - it is, a bit, but
it's hard to measure it with great precision, because of natural
variation.

The argument is how much and how fast, and more importantly, if humans
are the cause, and if humans can do anything about it.

The arguments for taking drastic (expensive) action NOW ultimately rest
on how good the current models are. Things were going well until 1995
or so, when measured temperature started to diverge from predicted
temperature, and so far the divergence has become greater by the year.

This failure of the best current models undermines the case for doing
big things NOW, versus waiting until the various issues are sorted out.

Nor is it obvious that it's cheaper to eliminate fossil fuels (if this
is even possible) than to remedy the various consequences directly.
For this issue, Bjorn Lomberg (the Skeptical Environmentalist) is a
good place to start.

..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Skeptical_Environmentalist

This all reminds me of the kerfuffle decades ago where in the article
and later book "Currents of Death", Brodeur claimed that the electric
and magnetic fields from the 60 Hz AC power system in the US caused
cancer.

..http://www.paulbrodeur.net/currents_of_death_119779.htm

He was quite wrong, having confused correlation with causation: Who
lives near high-tension power lines? Not the Rich for sure. It is
well known that the Rich enjoy better health by all measures than the
Poor. Oops.

But even if Brodeur were correct, replacing the entire US power grid
with a well-shielded power grid (which is technically feasible) is
orders of magnitude more expensive than doubling the health care system
(which is far more likely to improve health of the Poor than fiddling
with power wires).

Joe Gwinn

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 02:57 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

You never know, Jim. Despite the fact that isolating and compoudning
deterministic phenomena for explaining climate was abandoned in the
1950s, you may yet, through application of high-altitude quantum
mechanics and data-gathering, be the first one to solve the problem
with deterministic physics that you learned during your internships.

--
Ed Huntress

[email protected] March 11th 16 03:13 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

The ignorati have been feeding and feeding off the GOP for a long
time. That has fueled Trump who's shamelessly taking it to the next
level. To guarantee the votes of those he politely calls "poorly
educated," he promises to do things that don't make sense and can't be
done, safe in the knowledge that his supporters are stupid. But he's
missing an opportunity. A big part of science is peer review. Climate
change deniers like Trump and his tribe should propose and support
repeal and replacement :) of peer review. The obvious and sure to be
popular solution is a reality TV show where the tribe's respected
minds such as Honey Boo Boo and any Kardashian, cage fight to the
death to decide the validity of every scientific issue. Watch this
movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy, which seems more and
more like a documentary, to see where we're headed.

Larry Jaques[_4_] March 11th 16 03:26 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Ed, I did see that, but when one place is shrinking and another is
growing, you have to wonder what is going on.

It's called "wind", Ig. Mother Nature' various-temperatured wind
patterns evolve and things shift, maintaining the balance of things
globally. This was happening long before mankind came around, and it
will continue long after we're gone.

--
Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at
a distance but to do what lies clearly at hand.

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 03:26 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

g When my son was an undergrad, majoring in econ and minoring in
math (he now has a master's degree in math), I asked him what math he
was studying that semester. "Real analysis" was the reply.

Oh, that doesn't sound so tough, I said. Let me see that book....hmmm,
Lebesgue Integration of Extended Domains...oops. g

When I asked the same PhD (I was a little tipsy at this point), "So, do you believe in global warming?" Her response was, " you don't 'believe' in global warming. you believe in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. Global warming is as much a fact as gravity."

Refreshing. It's like believing in supply-side economics: who cares
about customers when you can build another plant and invest in more
machinery? Install a bigger machine, and they will come...

But I swear that if Rush or Glen Beck or Trump launched a campaign denying gravity and if world net daily picked it up, Gunner et al would be right here on rcm telling us that gravity is just a left-wing plot to sell brassieres to unsuspecting women.

Ha-ha!

BTW, I'm happy that Jim is something of an environmentalist.

I am, too. I encourage it among my friends all the time.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 03:41 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

"Joe Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
Ignoramus1161 wrote:

On 2016-03-09, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

True Believers are welcome to reduce their own fossil fuel dependency
and tell us how they did it. I have a long list of "You can't
expect -me- to do that" methods that work fine, for example the
clothesline that Ed rejected.
"I did that 40 years ago. Then I got a dryer. I'm not going back. g"

https://www.nrdc.org/energy/files/bi...r_r3_final.pdf
"For example, hang-drying clothes in the summer
instead of using a drying machine will save 35 MMtCO2e."

They dry just fine outdoors in the winter too, because the humidity is
very low. Insulated clothing that doesn't dry in a day can then be
hung indoors to dewrinkle and help raise the humidity to healthier
levels.

I switched from 200W desktops to 40W laptops, high-end business
models I bought cheaply second-hand, mainly to cut their power demand
to what my small solar system can handle during a prolonged ice storm
blackout. We suffered an hour-long blackout a few days ago. They are
becoming more common as our infrastructure ages, population grows, and
improvement is fiercely opposed
https://www.eversource.com/NSTAR/outage/OutageMap.aspx
As I type this there are outages in Bellingham and Somerville MA.

What was hot in 2010 is still powerful enough to browse the Internet
or record two TV programs simultaneously, unless you obsessively need
to keep up with the neighbors.

The thicker, heavier older business-class laptops are very versatile.
I can plug in a terabyte second hard drive to keep the primary boot
SSD affordably small, and have USB3 on an ExpressCard adapter, plus
extra serial ports for my datalogging meters on a PCMCIA card, and use
the HDTV to extend the desktop. Batteries are plentiful for some
models, a problem for others.

--jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 03:48 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Are you warming up to enter politics?

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 04:00 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Ha! Yes, I've heard of the movie. I thought it was going to have a
second life and get into general distribution.

I've tried to look at the upside of the Trump candidacy, and my
thought is that it will be made into a movie. Too bad Philip Seymour
Hoffman died.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 04:03 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

And the "balance of things globally" apparently is melting polar sea
ice three times faster than ice is growing. Right?

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 04:06 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

'Just doing the same kind of unblinking analysis I've done for 40
years on my job.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 11th 16 04:07 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

"Bernie Sanders is Donald Trump for people that still live in their
parents basement" - Michael O'Donoghue

[email protected] March 11th 16 04:09 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

The best upside, according to a GOP interviewee who intends to vote
for Trump, is that the party will hit rock bottom and implode, and
members will no longer be able to deny the obvious. According to him,
it will only be then that useful rebuilding can take place.

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 04:10 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

I love that line. I heard it a week ago when it was quoted on
Hardball.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress March 11th 16 05:07 PM

No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

wrote:

[...]

Ya' see? I knew there was a reason to keep my party registration as a
Republican. The moderates shall rise again. g

--
Ed Huntress