Old March 13th 16, 06:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 06:48:59 +0700,
wrote:

What is really surprising is how adept you seem to be in ignoring it.

Given that most recording thermometers have been located in ...urban
areas, airports just off the flight lines, on asphalt parking lots
rather than in rural areas ...what do YOU think the temp readings will
show? Humm?
The boffins call those areas.."heat islands". Given that until
recently, most measurements were made smack dab in the middle of those
"heat islands"...just how realistic do you think they are? Hummm?

Lets look at an infrared photo from above the Boston area shall we?
http://www.urbanheatislands.com/_/rs...urban_area.png

So tell me...which part of the photo has the correct overall
temperature? Hummm? Snicker....

http://www.urbanheatislands.com/\

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/11/1...-temperatures/

You may wish to read this article by a very respected meterologist

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&u act=8&ved=0ahUKEwib55Xz7bXLAhVG0GMKHe2UAOUQFggxMAM &url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.friendsofscience.org%2Fasset s%2Fdocuments%2FFoS_Urban%2520Heat%2520Island.pdf& usg=AFQjCNF1MWDH7FlW8-4F-zibGg1Qk-mghw&sig2=kLkf1w7gAXVA_kGsfoCCMw

Sorry about the long link..I dont know how to shorten it. Its a PDF
file. Get back to me AFTER you read it.

And even worse, both charts show a very distinct temperature change
from year to year.

Of course there is a temperature change from year to year. No two
years are ever the same. And? Its the long term average that is
used..not one year to the next. Im a dummy...but even I know that.

Do you really think that air temperature at 40,000 ft. is a realistic
indication of global, or any other sort of, warming? Especially when
it varies every year?

Yep. Or are you claiming that the temperature measured in downtown
Boston should be the calibration point? Really?

They say that "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy,
wealthy and wise", but apparently actually reading one's references
before opening one's mouth helps a lot in the "Wise" department.

So does knowing something about the subject. Apparently you seem to
jump on and wave around data points you have no comprehension about.
If Im the self admitted dummy...son..you are as stupid as a stone
statue.

Gunner

---

Cheers,

Schweik

What is really surprising is how adept you seem to be in ignoring it.

Snerk!!
Old March 13th 16, 06:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 15:28:03 -0800, wrote:

were fully funded and didn't need to lie for the gov't paycheck.

What a load of crap you feed on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...il_controversy

Which reminds me of something I always find mind boggling... Larry
could have looked that up a long time ago. Instead, he has probably
written, read, and ranted about his logical fallacy hundreds of times
longer than it would have taken to get his facts straight in the first
place. I guarantee you his preference for such dumb choices has
manifested itself weekly if not daily for his entire life. Where
others make a mistake and say "I won't do that again," people like
Larry refuse to learn. And they love to take their mistaken
assumptions and flesh them out with bizarre side notions and
conspiracy theories. Something like buying a rusted out, engineless
Pinto and decorating it with deer whistles and a Class lll trailer
hitch.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...organised.html

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/e...ng-in-15-years

Need more, Bozo?

Old March 13th 16, 07:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 12:18:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 20:20:05 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:25:29 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

That's a case where I think the economics favor grid power, because
of
the high cost and limited cycle life of vented deep-cycle batteries.

That it does, but what happens when (not if) the grid goes tits-up?

We return to the 1800's and DIY steam power, the Good Old Days. But I
suspect that a deteriorating, unreliable electricity supply as in
India would switch the helplessly codependent Greenies from blocking
construction to screaming about their NEEDS!! before it did more than
annoy the more technically competent of us. This neighborhood bands
together and shares resources, one generator serves three houses. I
contribute 100' extension cords and repairs to carbs and electrical
systems, and one of my Coleman gennys has spent almost its entire
operating life powering the house across the street.

Perhaps Gunner's Cull will "reduce" the Green needs. wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_India_blackouts
"The nation suffers from frequent power outages that last as long as
10 hours."

How often are you equalizing? The last article I read said that it
drops battery life considerably if you do it very often. I think
the
article was in HomePower mag. No equalization can drop the life,
too,
so there's a balance.

Every manufacturer's advice is slightly different, and a battery's
behavor changes as it ages. I think the least damaging method that's
still adequate is to charge at 1% to 2% of the 20-hour-rate capacity
until the voltage rises to 14.8V for flooded or whatever the maker
says for AGMs. I charge unmarked ones to 14.4V at less than half an
amp.

OK.

Usually I use an unregulated rectifier + capacitor charger adjusted to
the individual battery with a Variac. The cap I added to the charger
stabilizes the voltage and current meter readings. "Dumb" rectifier
chargers automatically taper down the current as the voltage rises.
The next time I walk by I check the meters and turn up the Variac.

More automation, I see.

One is a 1970's Schauer charger with a small 3 Amp Variac added in,
the other a homebrew that puts out 0 - 35V at up to 15A, with a 1/10
Farad filter cap. Since they don't have an output regulator they
aren't susceptible to damage from battery voltage being fed back into
the unpowered circuit if the AC is interrupted. You can protect a lab
supply from that with a series diode but then the voltmeter will be
useless.

Useless or merely off by .3v?

I don't equalize vehicle batteries very hard unless the hydrometer or
charging behavior reveals a weak cell. The smaller colored-bead type
is enough to show significant differences and works better on small
riding mower batteries with small caps and little free liquid..

I've forgotten to ask about your battery stack. Whatcha got?

If they are sulfated / corroded / whatever and won't accept current at
14.4V I apply 15V to 16V and keep an eye on the current, which is
typically under 100mA until they start to recover, then it rises and
may need to be limited due to the otherwise excessive charging
voltage. This is the case where a Smart Charger gives up, but a smart
user can salvage the battery. These numbers are all from makers' data
sheets. I just pick the more conservative ones and procedures that can
safely be left unattended.

What kind of new life do you get from the salvaged batts?

My 5-year-old HF '45W' kit supplies 0.6A per panel, making it good
current-limited source for gently conditioning batteries. I made an
LM350 variable regulator to fine-tune the charging voltage and
current. An LM338 will pass more current, I chose the LM350 to protect
some nice 3A meters I found.
http://www.eleccircuit.com/adjustabl...a-using-lm338/
D1 protects IC1 from higher voltage on the output than input, as I
mentioned above.

I picked up some LM317s + heatsinks cheap, and was thinking about the
same use.

Active, adjustable current limiting is conspicuously absent from
commercial battery chargers. I've read that "Pulse" desulfating is
really only a cheap substitute for building in a current limiter. At
Segway I learned how to use a lab-type adjustable power supply to meet
almost any battery charging requirement except fast-charging NiCd and
NiMH. The problem is that it requires a careful, attentive and well
informed user such as an electronic lab technician, NOT the average
mechanical engineer.

stratified electrolyte by bubbling. That's one of those inconvenient
solutions only the inventer would tolerate, and impractical for
batteries heavier than Group 31.

Why not vent them well rather than schlepping? MUCH less work.
Enclosed battery space, right? Fan on the inside, window to the
outside? For a more exciting removal of the hydrogen, just burn it
off. (Disclaimer: Kids, don't try this at home.)

When I rebuild the tool shed I plan to leave space for battery shelves
in a separate cabinet on an outside wall. I've had too much trouble
containing liquids like hydraulic fluid to assume I could safely
control invisible hydrogen. I don't have or plan to acquire nearly
enough batteries to fill it so the remaining space will probably be
for lawn and garden chemicals.

I have an old fridge for chemicals.

How much of an actual problem has the temperature swing been for you?
Batteries work well enough outdoors in cars here, where the temps run
from +100F to -10F. When I lived an hour further north it sometimes
dropped to -30F.

No problems, but I'm not heavily using the batteries, nor am I
carefully monitoring their capacities. Not a prob, I don't think.
Temps (most years) run 20-109F, with (every few years) a few days down
to 5F. I've had one burst pipe (outside plumbing, valved!) and one
freezeup (4 hours of portable 1.5KW heater under house fixed that) in
the 14 years I've been here. The first damage I get in plumbing in
the future, I'll replace all the old galv pipe with PEX and put foam
insulation around all of it, for good measure. It won't burst again.
I'd likely get a better flow, too. Pipes are ca 1967.

Being able to watch and limit the charging current spares me from the
uncertainties of voltage-controlled charging. I use the
voltage-vs-temperature table only to determine state of charge and
know when they are fully topped off..

OK. Do you do full-lot, batches, or individual battery charging?

Good idea. Generators are also more costly than grid power.

I once figured about half a buck per KWH. My system is for standy use
only, but I need to test it and exercise the generators.

Solar used to be 25-cents/kWh, but is less now. I'm figuring a cost
of about a buck a watt for purchase of the system, so I'll need to get
$3k together for the systems I want.

One quote for south-facing flat panel setup:
Here in GP, 1.8KW of panels will produce 2,277KWH annually, about
$0.05/KW over a 25 year lifetime. Hmm, forgot replacement batteries
($2k): $0.10 per. No gas purchase/storage/fumes/refills, no rebuilds,
no tuneups, just pure energy. I love the simplicity of solar.

The Interstate battery I put in the truck in 2002 receives a top-off
charge every month or two and is still in good condition, judging by
the electrolyte gravity and the time it will run the headlights
without dropping too far.

13+ years? Not bad. I just replaced my Tundra battery last year,
so
I got 9 on the original.

Did you do anything to maintain it?
I caught one cell on my truck battery dropping out a few years ago and
began charging it and checking the level more often. It seems to have
recovered.

No. It never seemed to use water, and after 4 years, I don't even
look at batteries, I just replace them (in vehicles.) ONE stranding
per lifetime is all you need to move to that route. I love canned
terminal protectant. I clean the terms, spray them down, and seldom
have to approach them again during the life of the battery.
I heart purple goo.

I wish LiFePO batteries were 10x cheaper now. I'd get a few KW of
those instead of LA. Tesla keeps making strong drops in pricing on
their battery tech. A couple 10kw modules would be nice, eh?

A friend is getting a quote from Solar City, which is connected to
Tesla. When the engineers come by I'm going to find out as much as I
can about the technical possibilities. Their site is useless.

It's a fact-filled site...if you're a clueless sheeple consumer.
Please let me know what you find out, although I'll never be able to
afford one, let alone two.

Segway stores large pallets of Lithium batteries at the factory. The
fire department's practice response for a large Class D fire next to a
river was awesome.
http://www.fire-extinguisher101.com/class-d-fires.html

I'll keep a pound or two of baking soda handy for my metal fires.

I needed to use a very reactive Lithium compound for an organic
synthesis and a helpful grad student came over to break off a chunk
from the rock-like mass in the can. As soon as he tapped the chisel it
burst into brilliant crimson flame and all we could do was pull down
the fume hood door and watch it all go up, then go request another
can.

Ouch! But pretty, huh?

--
Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at
a distance but to do what lies clearly at hand.
Old March 13th 16, 10:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 17:58:13 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 3:05:32 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:

I suspect that the truth of the matter is that the temperature is
getting warmer and no one actually knows why nor whether this is
simply an anomaly or indicative of the beginning of a major
temperature cycle.

Get better suspicions. The effect was predictable, has
a known cause. No knowledge, however, predicts any natural
recovery to the initial state, as a "cycle" would suggest.

I see, so there was no recovery from the "little ice age" when the
Thames river used to freeze over, or, for that matter the temperature
cycles that are know to have occurred for the past 400,000 years that
have been plotted from ice cores?

The "simply an anomaly" label suggests we should not try to understand it.
Related language: "ideopathic", "unknown and unknowable", "great mystery",
"will of God".

According to an English dictionary "anomaly ~ noun -
deviation from the normal or common order or form or rule"

Nothing about "unknown", "great mystery", or your other suggestions.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 13th 16, 03:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

That it does, but what happens when (not if) the grid goes
tits-up?

We return to the 1800's and DIY steam power, the Good Old Days. But
suspect that a deteriorating, unreliable electricity supply as in
India would switch the helplessly codependent Greenies from blocking
construction to screaming about their NEEDS!! before it did more
than
annoy the more technically competent of us. This neighborhood bands
together and shares resources, one generator serves three houses. I
contribute 100' extension cords and repairs to carbs and electrical
systems, and one of my Coleman gennys has spent almost its entire
operating life powering the house across the street.

Perhaps Gunner's Cull will "reduce" the Green needs. wink

Historically the Left has begun the revolutions, violently, and the
Right has ended them, even more violently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Commune
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavarian_Soviet_Republic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_War
"Trade unionists were targeted for assassination by the Peronist and
Marxist guerrillas as early as 1969."

Usually I use an unregulated rectifier + capacitor charger adjusted
the individual battery with a Variac. The cap I added to the charger
stabilizes the voltage and current meter readings. "Dumb" rectifier
chargers automatically taper down the current as the voltage rises.
The next time I walk by I check the meters and turn up the Variac.

More automation, I see.

I built automated test equipment for a living back in the relay logic
days.

One is a 1970's Schauer charger with a small 3 Amp Variac added in,
the other a homebrew that puts out 0 - 35V at up to 15A, with a 1/10
Farad filter cap. Since they don't have an output regulator they
aren't susceptible to damage from battery voltage being fed back
into
the unpowered circuit if the AC is interrupted. You can protect a
lab
supply from that with a series diode but then the voltmeter will be
useless.

Useless or merely off by .3v?

The drop varies with the current. The Schottkys I bought from China
for my leaky second-hand roof panels have forward drops clustered at
or above the top end of the data sheet value, around 0.4V, and barely
meet the reverse breakdown spec.

The MDQ-100A, 100A 1600V bridge rectifier I just bought to add to a
welder looks good so far, the megger reads over 500 megohms at 500V
reverse and Vf is 0.49V on my DMM. I haven't set up to measure Vf at
20A DC yet.

I've forgotten to ask about your battery stack. Whatcha got?

I gotta pair of 105A marine batteries and a small assortment of used
gel and AGMs, some given to me as dead, some that had been swapped on
a maintenance schedule. I trade in a hopeless ones when I buy a new
battery, so they don't just pile up. I'd rather turn them in and use
Lithiums if those become economically practical.

The engineers at Segway didn't let anything that couldn't be sold to
customers but still functioned go to waste. The scrap bins were
conveniently beside the exit, and anything good they came up with
could be demonstrated on Frog Days. As new guy I was too far down in
the queue to get anything valuable. The in-house machines we rode
around on had batteries with perhaps half or less of their original
capacity left.

The still-good original car battery and the U1R pulled from my tractor
for the winter are in marine battery boxes with fused charging leads
brought out to 45A Andersons. This way there's no spark within the box
when I top them off, they are easy to handle and the terminals are
covered. I turned my unused stock of nice flexible silicone-insulated
wire into extension cables for battery charging.

What kind of new life do you get from the salvaged batts?

I've had no luck restoring AGMs, and can get perhaps three more years
from U1 lawn tractor batteries with filler caps after an automatic
charger stopped charging them, IOW four times their normal life. I
haven't tried salvaging deep discharge batteries from golf carts or
forklifts yet. That will depend on how easy they are to obtain, and to
dispose of. Once batteries start to go they need frequent attention to
keep them alive, which can become an onerous chore for little return.
I've lost two brand new AGMs that I put in the jump starter and forgot
to keep charged for a couple of years.

My 5-year-old HF '45W' kit supplies 0.6A per panel, making it good
current-limited source for gently conditioning batteries. I made an
LM350 variable regulator to fine-tune the charging voltage and
current. An LM338 will pass more current, I chose the LM350 to
protect
some nice 3A meters I found.
http://www.eleccircuit.com/adjustabl...a-using-lm338/
D1 protects IC1 from higher voltage on the output than input, as I
mentioned above.

I picked up some LM317s + heatsinks cheap, and was thinking about
the
same use.

I replaced an LM317 with the LM350 because it can handle the HF kit's
full output without the risk of frying my pretty 3 Amp Triplett 321
ammeter. The LM317 was enough to top off the vehicle batteries,
though, as the current soon dropped to around half an Amp. .

OK. Do you do full-lot, batches, or individual battery charging?

The roof array charges the 24V pair for the APC in series, and a DPDT
switch on the voltmeter panel lets the smaller 12V HF kit top off each
individually, since they don't quite match in capacity. They are both
the same model from Batteries Plus, one bought a few years after the
other when I acquired the 24V APC UPS. The wires to the switch are
fused at the battery boxes because they create a possible shorting
hazard if the switch malfunctions. I also made the voltage and current
sense lead connections to the Bayite shunt with wired in-line fuse
holders.

Solar used to be 25-cents/kWh, but is less now. I'm figuring a cost
of about a buck a watt for purchase of the system, so I'll need to
get
$3k together for the systems I want.

One quote for south-facing flat panel setup:
Here in GP, 1.8KW of panels will produce 2,277KWH annually, about
$0.05/KW over a 25 year lifetime. Hmm, forgot replacement batteries
($2k): $0.10 per. No gas purchase/storage/fumes/refills, no
rebuilds,
no tuneups, just pure energy. I love the simplicity of solar.

The big unknown in the cost estimate is how many cycles the batteries
will give you, expecially if they aren't fully recharged each time. My
system won't fully recharge them automatically because it's set to
13.6V each to avoid hydrogen. I have them for power outages instead of
continuous use and plan to fully recharge them afterwards, quickly
outdoors or slowly over several days from the HF kit which is barely
enough to make them bubble very lightly just before it shuts off.

Segway stores large pallets of Lithium batteries at the factory. The
fire department's practice response for a large Class D fire next to
river was awesome.
http://www.fire-extinguisher101.com/class-d-fires.html

I'll keep a pound or two of baking soda handy for my metal fires.

It's good to have around lead batteries too, for the acid.

Don't buy a Hoverboard. I shim up the back of my Dell laptops to allow
airflow under the battery and to finger-check for heat. Probably the
batteries that didn't catch fire in 2006 are OK now.

--jsw

Old March 13th 16, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 22:54:09 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

Ah, Gunner gets his scientific evidence from the Daily Mail, which
publishes science stories like these:

"Has NASA been keeping a huge UFO near earth secret from us?"

"Woman finds a phallic strawberry in her garden."

"Yew were always on my mind. The tree that looks like Elvis in
profile."

"Shocking sight of skinny model's flabby, cellulite-ridden buttock as
she walks down catwalk..."

You get the idea -- hard science. Hard-on strawberries, UFO
conspiracies and models with flabby butts. Shocking, simply shocking.
And global warming is a hoax, says the Daily Mail. g

Maybe you should try something a little less hyperbolic, like, say,
_The Economist_:

"...This led to a Daily Mail headline reading: "Climategate U-turn as
scientist at centre of row admits: There has been no global warming
since 1995."

"Since I've advocated a more explicit use of the word "lie", I'll go
ahead and follow my own advice: that Daily Mail headline is a lie.
Phil Jones did not say there had been no global warming since 1995; he
said the opposite.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...ange_and_media

The "lie" may actually have just been ignorance. The Daily Mail
reporter may not understand what "statistically significant" means.
Most people don't, unless they've studied statistics at the college
level. You, for example, certainly don't understand what it means. But
that doesn't stop you from quoting the mistakes.

Need more, Bozo?

Do you have anything you've actually read and understand?

--
Ed Huntress
Old March 13th 16, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 3:05:32 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:

I suspect that the truth of the matter is that the temperature is
getting warmer and no one actually knows why nor whether this is
simply an anomaly or indicative of the beginning of a major
temperature cycle.

Get better suspicions. The effect was predictable, has
a known cause. No knowledge, however, predicts any natural
recovery to the initial state, as a "cycle" would suggest.

I see, so there was no recovery from the "little ice age" when the
Thames river used to freeze over, or, for that matter the temperature
cycles that are know to have occurred for the past 400,000 years that
have been plotted from ice cores?

Your example proves the opposite of what you're saying, John. Think it
through again.

Old March 13th 16, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No, of course not. He'd have trouble understanding the instructions
that come with a toothbrush. Must be his high snicker IQ.
Old March 13th 16, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I keep forgetting what he said it was, 154 or 157? Or did he up the
ante from there, somewhere along the line? d8-)

--
Ed Huntress