DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Calling out surface finish (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/390305-calling-out-surface-finish.html)

Tim Wescott[_6_] February 10th 16 10:05 PM

Calling out surface finish

Pursuant to my 3/16" x 1/2" aluminum bar quest, I'm thinking of getting
some bids for some 12" long bars -- assuming that a shop will just whack
them out of 3/16" plate.

I know how to call out "mill finish" -- is there a good way to call out
"about as good as mill finish but no worse", assuming I'm working with a
machine shop that wants everything specified down to a gnat's eyelash?

I mean -- I want something better than +/- 1/16" tolerances and visible
saw marks, because I can do that with my own hack saw. But I don't want
to pay for anything better than +/- .010 and kinda-sorta-good finish,
either.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

RangersSuck February 12th 16 06:00 PM

Calling out surface finish

On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 5:05:45 PM UTC-5, Tim Wescott wrote:
Pursuant to my 3/16" x 1/2" aluminum bar quest, I'm thinking of getting
some bids for some 12" long bars -- assuming that a shop will just whack
them out of 3/16" plate.

I know how to call out "mill finish" -- is there a good way to call out
"about as good as mill finish but no worse", assuming I'm working with a
machine shop that wants everything specified down to a gnat's eyelash?

I mean -- I want something better than +/- 1/16" tolerances and visible
saw marks, because I can do that with my own hack saw. But I don't want
to pay for anything better than +/- .010 and kinda-sorta-good finish,
either.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Just put those words in a note on your print. But don't assume that anyone will just read them. Make sure you actually speak with someone, or if you're emailing this out to several shops, put the words very clearly in the email.

Tell them exactly what you're looking for and what you're NOT willing to pay for. Don't rely on "standard" notation, many shops will just overlook it.

There's no substitute for good communications.