Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressor question, a bit off topic but shop related

It's about time to look for a new air compressor.

I've had a 20gal "portable" (interpret that as roll-around-tank-mounted) for about 20 years and want
to stay with that configuration. (space limitations and useage almost require that I stay with that
config.)

I think the field is narrowed down to two units. .

The Quincy 20gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC 19Amp, 7.5CFM @ 90 PSI.

and the

Ingersoll Rand 30gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC, 5.7CFM @ 90 PSI.

Any one have pro's or con's on these that would help me make a decision?

Thanks
rgentryatozdotnet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Gentry wrote:

It's about time to look for a new air compressor.

I've had a 20gal "portable" (interpret that as roll-around-tank-mounted)
for about 20 years and want to stay with that configuration. (space
limitations and useage almost require that I stay with that config.)

I think the field is narrowed down to two units. .

The Quincy 20gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC 19Amp, 7.5CFM @ 90 PSI.

and the

Ingersoll Rand 30gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC, 5.7CFM @ 90 PSI.

Any one have pro's or con's on these that would help me make a decision?

Thanks
rgentryatozdotnet

A 115 V 19A compressor isn't as portable as you might think. It is going to
pop breakers most places you plug it in. Quincy is a good brand, I have one
here but it is a 230 V unit. Always go for more CFM!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would look for a two stage unit for a bit higher delivery pressure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/28/2015 3:55 PM, Bob Gentry wrote:

It's about time to look for a new air compressor.

I've had a 20gal "portable" (interpret that as roll-around-tank-mounted) for about 20 years and want
to stay with that configuration. (space limitations and useage almost require that I stay with that
config.)

I think the field is narrowed down to two units. .

The Quincy 20gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC 19Amp, 7.5CFM @ 90 PSI.

and the

Ingersoll Rand 30gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC, 5.7CFM @ 90 PSI.

Any one have pro's or con's on these that would help me make a decision?

Thanks
rgentryatozdotnet

Quincy will run forever, just keep it full of clean oil and clean air
filters.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:55:00 -0700, Bob Gentry wrote:

It's about time to look for a new air compressor.

I've had a 20gal "portable" (interpret that as roll-around-tank-mounted) for about 20 years and want
to stay with that configuration. (space limitations and useage almost require that I stay with that
config.)

I think the field is narrowed down to two units. .

The Quincy 20gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC 19Amp, 7.5CFM @ 90 PSI.

and the

Ingersoll Rand 30gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC, 5.7CFM @ 90 PSI.

Any one have pro's or con's on these that would help me make a decision?

Thanks
rgentryatozdotnet

Shrug...Ive been finding IR has taken much of their work offshore to
China and I have been serviceing far far more IR machines than
Quincys. The IR#30 compressor pump ..Chinese made versions..have a
history of failures long before they should.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=136720

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4981
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...oblems.431341/

etc etc etc.

Frankly..Id buy the Quincy long before Id buy an IR that is newer than
10 yrs old. Prior to that..they were pretty much neck and neck in
being top of the line.

And DO NOT buy an IR with an Emerson motor on it. They catch fire
with some regularity.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Inge...utf-8&oe=utf-8

There are small compressors that are cheaper..still made in the USA
and work very well. Jenny/Emglow being at the top of my list.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:55:00 -0700, Bob Gentry wrote:

It's about time to look for a new air compressor.

I've had a 20gal "portable" (interpret that as roll-around-tank-mounted) for about 20 years and want
to stay with that configuration. (space limitations and useage almost require that I stay with that
config.)

I think the field is narrowed down to two units. .

The Quincy 20gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC 19Amp, 7.5CFM @ 90 PSI.

and the

Ingersoll Rand 30gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC, 5.7CFM @ 90 PSI.

Any one have pro's or con's on these that would help me make a decision?

Thanks
rgentryatozdotnet

Well, consumer grade stuff is all junk - so stay with contractor
grade at a minimum.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 12:54:57 PM UTC-7, Bob Gentry wrote:
It's about time to look for a new air compressor.

I've had a 20gal "portable" (interpret that as roll-around-tank-mounted) for about 20 years and want
to stay with that configuration. (space limitations and useage almost require that I stay with that
config.)

I think the field is narrowed down to two units. .

The Quincy 20gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC 19Amp, 7.5CFM @ 90 PSI.

and the

Ingersoll Rand 30gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC, 5.7CFM @ 90 PSI.

Any one have pro's or con's on these that would help me make a decision?

Thanks
rgentryatozdotnet

Neither. Will provide a suggestion if you wish. Majority of compressor pumps are now made in India, including IR's.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Gentry wrote:
It's about time to look for a new air compressor.

I've had a 20gal "portable" (interpret that as
roll-around-tank-mounted) for about 20 years and want to stay with
that configuration. (space limitations and useage almost require that
I stay with that config.)

I think the field is narrowed down to two units. .

The Quincy 20gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC 19Amp, 7.5CFM @ 90
PSI.

and the

Ingersoll Rand 30gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC, 5.7CFM @ 90
PSI.

Any one have pro's or con's on these that would help me make a
decision?

Thanks rgentryatozdotnet

What make is the old one? Personally I'd hunt up a rebuild kit for it
than buy any of the current smaller units.

If you have to buy new I'd consider the Quincy first. IR has gone to the
dogs these days.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:

If you have to buy new I'd consider the Quincy first. IR has gone to the
dogs these days.

Yup, I found a Quincy 2-cyl one-stage compressor at a scrap yard. It was a
slightly oddball setup, pneumatic unloader and a 1 Hp motor turning it slow.
After getting it working, I got a 2 Hp motor, and built a computerized dual-
mode control (lets the compressor spin for a minute to see if there is a
demand for air before shutting the motor off.)

The local Quincy distributor gave me parts list/drawings for it, and had all
the items I needed (new safety relief, filters and oil) in stock, even
though it was 40 years old at the time. I've been using it for a decade
now, and will likely pass it on to my kids!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 13:58:17 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Steve W. wrote:

If you have to buy new I'd consider the Quincy first. IR has gone to the
dogs these days.

Yup, I found a Quincy 2-cyl one-stage compressor at a scrap yard. It was a
slightly oddball setup, pneumatic unloader and a 1 Hp motor turning it slow.
After getting it working, I got a 2 Hp motor, and built a computerized dual-
mode control (lets the compressor spin for a minute to see if there is a
demand for air before shutting the motor off.)

The local Quincy distributor gave me parts list/drawings for it, and had all
the items I needed (new safety relief, filters and oil) in stock, even
though it was 40 years old at the time. I've been using it for a decade
now, and will likely pass it on to my kids!

Jon

Don't know what I will do in event that my Gardner Denver should bite
the dust! I've got $3 tied up in that compressor, plus of course fifty
cents for the half horse motor, fifty cents for the 30lb. propane
tank, $80 for controls and prolly another ten bucks for misc. plumbing
and hardware. The fact that the output is about 2 CFM doesn't bother
me - a helluvalot better than 0 CFM - with lots of additional storage
capacity available and lack of time constaints, it's nice to have air
for impact wrench, brad nailer, sand blaster, needle scaler, air
hammer etc.
I do have a 1.5 HP motor so will probably check out Princess Auto's
smallest unit or try converting a lawnmower motor for compressor duty.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Gentry" wrote in message
.. .

It's about time to look for a new air compressor.

I've had a 20gal "portable" (interpret that as roll-around-tank-mounted)
for about 20 years and want
to stay with that configuration. (space limitations and useage almost
require that I stay with that
config.)

I think the field is narrowed down to two units. .

The Quincy 20gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC 19Amp, 7.5CFM @ 90 PSI.

and the

Ingersoll Rand 30gal horz., 2Hp single stage, 115VAC, 5.7CFM @ 90 PSI.

Any one have pro's or con's on these that would help me make a decision?

Thanks
rgentryatozdotnet

My Cambell Hausfeld roll around was 18 years old when I replaced the
compressor on it. Its still running all the other original hardware, and I
probably didn't need to replace the compressor. I just felt like it was
gettting "slow." It got used regularly in those 18 years, and some years it
got used almost industrially... well for its volume anyway. I had many a
day where I sat there and waited for it to catch up with me. Nailers, paint
guns, grinders, drills, impacts, sanders, etc. Its driven them all. I
still have it, but I finally put in a small shop compressor a while back so
it doesn't get used like it once did.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 16:02:37 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

A 115 V 19A compressor isn't as portable as you might think. It is going to
pop breakers most places you plug it in. Quincy is a good brand, I have one
here but it is a 230 V unit. Always go for more CFM!

Jon

I aggree with you Jon grin. But I wonder if the numbers are _really_ what that unit pulls.

My present unit is a DeVilbiss Air Power Co. unit Mod. RAF 3520, and its rate numbers a

3.5HP at 120v / 15A / 60HZ / 1PH. ___NO That Is NOT a misprint___ . . . 3.5HP

My Code Motor info indicates a 3.5HP motor on 115V pulls 34.0A, should be protected with a 100A fuse
and be wired with 8AWG copper. However, in my real life setting, it runs fine on 12AWG copper and a
20A breaker. This same unit gets a ride in the back of my truck and is plugged into a 20A ckt at
church and is used to blow out the junk in the roof gutters. Never pops a breaker, home or there.

Maybe the Quincy's 19A is wishfull thinking??

Bob
rgentryatozdotnet