Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 4130(chrome moly) & 4140

On Sunday, April 8, 2001 at 12:23:45 AM UTC-4, Mark Barber wrote:
Could somebody please explain the differences between 4130 & 4140 steel and
does 4140 have a common name
Thanks
Mark Barber

$130 thru 4150 are all Chrome Moly allows tat are used in rifle barrels. The military uses 4150 only in their barrels because the temperature and wear resistance is superior. So why don't we all use 4150? Well we don't usually need the same things as the military. As casual shooters/sportsmen, we usually want accuracy. 41130 is much easier to make a accurate barrels with but it also gives you the shortest barrel life. 4150 being difficult to turn out a super accurate barrel (don't read this as impossible) gives us the decent in between of 4140. It gives reasonable barrel life for most shooters and is easy enough to machine that barrels of good to excellent accuracy can be made. I have chambered in all three and find 4150 to be much more likely to grab the reamer and 4130 and 4140 seems to be about the same to me but I cant deliver the same type of measuring the industry can. I do know that 4130 in a rifle barrel can be a disappointment since if you get a ZERO group barrel, by the time you have found the best load and played with it , its time for a new barrel.
All the other info above addresses the technical features very nicely, I just thought I would address the benefits to all the features that were so wonderfully addressed.

Heat treating 4130 steel at home John Olson Metalworking 21 October 7th 15 11:54 PM
Kluber Grease vs Moly Kote BG20 Bob La Londe[_7_] Metalworking 14 September 30th 14 02:11 AM
4140 [email protected] Metalworking 47 July 1st 14 02:33 AM
Type 4130 magnetic ? [email protected] Metalworking 21 February 10th 06 03:57 AM
4130 steel for lathe chuck backplate? lens Metalworking 10 November 3rd 05 02:40 AM