Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any one using 3D printing for metalwork

Last evening I went to a beginners class on 3D printing. The class was using a program by Autodesk called " 123D Design " to create files for 3D printing. Looks like a pretty good program especially considering that the program is free.

The local library will print a 3D object for free as long as it does not take more than 5 hours to print and you accept whatever color they are using.

Looks like it would be easy to print up a pattern to use in casting parts.

If you search on 123D Design , you will find some additional programs to use for things as scanning an object and creating a duplicate by 3 D printing.

So is anyone doing anything with 3D printing?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have one a three color head. There are some design flaws in this
model. I'm going to re-engineer it and depopulate to two heads and
if required one head. Three heads have fist size servo motors and
they move as one. It can rock a metal tubing table easily.

I have it on four concrete piers - and a 4" sheet of sandstone.
The back up to the table.

It is a work in progress, and I just got a new OS and design tools.

I've been moving into my new office and getting my engraver sorted out.

Martin

On 10/21/2015 8:40 AM, wrote:

Last evening I went to a beginners class on 3D printing. The class was using a program by Autodesk called " 123D Design " to create files for 3D printing. Looks like a pretty good program especially considering that the program is free.

The local library will print a 3D object for free as long as it does not take more than 5 hours to print and you accept whatever color they are using.

Looks like it would be easy to print up a pattern to use in casting parts.

If you search on 123D Design , you will find some additional programs to use for things as scanning an object and creating a duplicate by 3 D printing.

So is anyone doing anything with 3D printing?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I sent a email to some of the people at the museum about 3D printing and got a reply asking if one can 3D print 3D autocad drawings. A quick search found a number of sites that told how simple it was to do that. Looks like you could go the other direction and import a .stl file into Autocad.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 06:31:24 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

I sent a email to some of the people at the museum about 3D printing and got a reply asking if one can 3D print 3D autocad drawings. A quick search found a number of sites that told how simple it was to do that. Looks like you could go the other direction and import a .stl file into Autocad.

Dan

You can glean some info from Shapeways website too:

http://www.shapeways.com/creator/tools

If you get something developed you would like to sell they can do that
too. Edward Falk who sometimes posts here (haven't seen him lately) has
an item he made the

http://www.shapeways.com/designer/eafalk

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 9:40:42 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Last evening I went to a beginners class on 3D printing. The class was using a program by Autodesk called " 123D Design " to create files for 3D printing. Looks like a pretty good program especially considering that the program is free.

The local library will print a 3D object for free as long as it does not take more than 5 hours to print and you accept whatever color they are using.

Looks like it would be easy to print up a pattern to use in casting parts.

If you search on 123D Design , you will find some additional programs to use for things as scanning an object and creating a duplicate by 3 D printing.

So is anyone doing anything with 3D printing?

Pure logic would tell me that jon_banquer, Ed Huntress or Joe Gwinn are (or might as well be), so I'd ask them specifically. As for me, I don't personally know (because I'm more into high and low voltage wiring and 18w truck driving, etc...)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 2:14:06 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Lots of members of my LinkedIn group CADCAM Technology Leaders are heavily involved with 3D printing including my friend Daniel. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dElz53EsmtM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 2:27:28 PM UTC-7, Jonathan Ball failed:

snipped useless bull**** that helps no one

Once again the jokes on Jonathan Ball who has zero metalworking skills and no CADCAM skills. He's never recovered from the ass kicking I gave he a few years back and he's still lying face down in a gutter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

People I work with are interested in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr_PneeyO34

They are looking to me for help with the CADCAM part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VldmUzTDCMs

Without a doubt CADCAM will be critical. Hybrid is the future for 3D metal printing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 6:08:37 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

Dan says he wants to hear from someone who is doing it. I'm studying
it.

--
Ed Huntress

Actually I am interested in hearing from those doing it, but also those that have decided it is not worthwhile, and even from those that are studying it.

Since the museum has two people who know Autocad, I think they will find uses. But someone here may have some insights into ways it can be used that I would not think of. Or experiences with places that will do the printing from your file. Or experiences with building a 3D printer.

Right now I am in the learn the big picture mode. But could get into specifics if we start to use it.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 07:42:33 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 6:08:37 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

Dan says he wants to hear from someone who is doing it. I'm studying
it.

--
Ed Huntress

Actually I am interested in hearing from those doing it, but also those that have decided it is not worthwhile, and even from those that are studying it.

Since the museum has two people who know Autocad, I think they will find uses. But someone here may have some insights into ways it can be used that I would not think of. Or experiences with places that will do the printing from your file. Or experiences with building a 3D printer.

Right now I am in the learn the big picture mode. But could get into specifics if we start to use it.

Dan

I have little to offer here. My focus is on the big commercial
printers, mainly laser-sintering machines for metal.

It sounds like you're on the right track, though. A simple modeler
that produces STL files should be all you need. It's great that your
library has that machine!

Oh, and you're right, making patterns for casting is one of the
original uses for 3D printing. Also, some people use some type of wax
or plastic made for the purpose, and make investment-casting patterns.
I've never looked into it, though.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 11:57:21 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

Oh, and you're right, making patterns for casting is one of the
original uses for 3D printing. Also, some people use some type of wax
or plastic made for the purpose, and make investment-casting patterns.
I've never looked into it, though.

--
Ed Huntress

I did a little looking around. The material used for investment casting is PLA. Made from Soy Beans. The regular material gives toxic fumes when being melted out.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Actually I am interested in hearing from those doing it, but also
those that have decided it is not worthwhile, and even from those
that are studying it.

Early on when this stuff was being invented and the printer was a
hacked dot matrix machine under a mare's nest of tubes and cables,
late 80s maybe, I saw an experimental setup at MIT. They were printing
with glue and steel spherules. After sintering, the result was put in
a puddle of another metal (bronze? brass?) in an oven. The molten
metal was drawn into the interstices by osmosis. I don't think it was
a very successful technique but I haven't kept up on the subject.

I have little to offer here. My focus is on the big commercial
printers, mainly laser-sintering machines for metal.

I've heard that complex pattern-welded billets are being made by 3D
printing differeing steel grains, sintering, then fusing at a welding
heat and/or under a press. Didn't get the details.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh, man, that should be great for making machined-billet brake pedal
arms and such, for people you wish wouldn't show up for work in the
morning!

Speaking of exotic metals, here's one from Boeing that they describe
as he "Lightest. Metal. Ever." It will be appreciated by some in this
group because it's 99% air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6N_4jGJADY

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ABS and Nylon are the standard other than PLA.

My small hand unit uses ABS and PLA and wood... I got it going tonight.
My birthday present (early naturally).

3Ddoodler

Seems useable and even for patching other designs as the tip melts and
it is like filling with putty so voids can be filled and sanded over.

It also makes 2d and some wire frame or nearly shell 3D.

Martin