Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Neat weld procedure..

Here's an interesting weld procedure that is fun to watch!
I wonder how many times they tried this before it actually
worked, eih?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2c6_1444995882

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 22:02:26 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

Here's an interesting weld procedure that is fun to watch!
I wonder how many times they tried this before it actually
worked, eih?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2c6_1444995882

Very! Interesting!! Thanks for that!!

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:

Here's an interesting weld procedure that is fun to watch!
I wonder how many times they tried this before it actually
worked, eih?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2c6_1444995882

Looks like it might be some variant of submerged arc welding. I didn't see
any description of what they were doing.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 10:02:32 PM UTC-4, Phil Kangas wrote:
Here's an interesting weld procedure that is fun to watch!
I wonder how many times they tried this before it actually
worked, eih?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2c6_1444995882

Interesting. Will have to try it at home. Thinks for posting.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 10:02:32 PM UTC-4, Phil Kangas wrote:
Here's an interesting weld procedure that is fun to watch!
I wonder how many times they tried this before it actually
worked, eih?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2c6_1444995882

So, has anyone tried this yet? I don't have a welder at my disposal, but this is extremely interesting.

At 2:15 in the video, you get a brief look at the bottom. It looks like the weld penetrated all the way through. Pretty impressive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 10:35:59 AM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

So, has anyone tried this yet? I don't have a welder at my disposal, but this is extremely interesting.

Thanks for reminding me. I tried it using 1/8 6013 at 160 amps and some mower blades. I tacked two blades together with a slight gap and used a third mover blade across the welding rod to keep it from moving. Once it started it burned across the blade laying on top and then went out. Most of the deposited metal was on the blade on top. And the weld between the two blades was not very good.
The blade on top with the most deposit was not welded to the other two blades. The two blades were attached to each other, but then they were tacked together before I tried the weld procedure.

I expect they spent some time getting everything just right. Much easier to just do a regular weld.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:04:21 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 10:35:59 AM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

So, has anyone tried this yet? I don't have a welder at my disposal, but this is extremely interesting.

Thanks for reminding me. I tried it using 1/8 6013 at 160 amps and some mower blades. I tacked two blades together with a slight gap and used a third mover blade across the welding rod to keep it from moving. Once it started it burned across the blade laying on top and then went out. Most of the deposited metal was on the blade on top. And the weld between the two blades was not very good.
The blade on top with the most deposit was not welded to the other two blades. The two blades were attached to each other, but then they were tacked together before I tried the weld procedure.

I expect they spent some time getting everything just right. Much easier to just do a regular weld.

That video was less than the best in detail...

I thought they used something like a brick on top. Something that
wouldn't weld/conduct. And 6013 rod is a bugger to run, even pro
welders like Jody avoid it... I would guess that it was an easy running
rod with a high flux/metal content. Maybe 7018?

Jody has a video were he sets up a rod to run itself. It was from
awhile back. This one at approximately 2:00 mins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7509VJZZ80

He was using a 7014 rod for that "trick"...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

[...]

I worked at a copper mine where practically everything was "hard
surfaced" and the welders had some rod that seemed to be almost 2 feet
long that they used with the stinger propped up so the rod wasn't
tipped sideways and they did "no hand" hard surfacing on large flat
jobs.
--
cheers,

John B.