Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Recommendations on .380 ACP ammunition.

Buying a Glock G42 for the wife, 'cause it's light and small. She has
shot my Ruger 10-22 target pistol, and says it's too heavy. Having a lot
more violent crime happening a mile or so away from where we live, and
she wants a pistol that she can handle, in the house. Looking for
ammunition recommendations, or maybe another pistol recommendation, must
be lightweight, low to mild recoil, and well built.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/11/2015 9:07 PM, Steve Walker wrote:
Buying a Glock G42 for the wife, 'cause it's light and small. She has
shot my Ruger 10-22 target pistol, and says it's too heavy. Having a lot
more violent crime happening a mile or so away from where we live, and
she wants a pistol that she can handle, in the house. Looking for
ammunition recommendations, or maybe another pistol recommendation, must
be lightweight, low to mild recoil, and well built.

Get the Smith & Wesson Model 442. It's a 5-shot, small, light weight
revolver, double action only with no exposed hammer to snag. Add a
wolff spring kit and the trigger becomes extra smooth and light. I've
carried one for years and ran a lot of rounds through it. You can get
light wadcutter loads and up to +P JHP. Ultra reliable point and click
interface. And, it's surprisingly accurate!

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/s...weight-review/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 22:03:30 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

[...]

Colt Detective Special (6 shots) with a set of Pacmeyers on it to fit
her hand

As good as the Smith, with an extra round. Carried one for 30 yrs.
Have one on me as I type this in fact.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...28942 0420226

Now..there are some decent small self loaders...the CPX-2 looks pretty
good..and its 9mm

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/n...-cpx-2-review/

Double action only..which is a good thing for an up close and personal
weapon.

Holds 10 rds..load it with the best rated JHP ammo you can buy.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cpx-2

Or a Mod 10 4". Add grips to fit....

All three weapons can be had for under $300 , used in good shape The
CPX-2 can be had for that price new in the box.

Not a lot of call for wheelguns..so there are surplus belly guns
tucked away all over the place looking for new homes

Gunner, wheelgun fan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Buying a Glock G42 for the wife, 'cause it's light and small. She has shot
my Ruger 10-22 target pistol, and says it's too heavy. Having a lot more
violent crime happening a mile or so away from where we live, and she
wants a pistol that she can handle, in the house. Looking for ammunition
recommendations, or maybe another pistol recommendation, must be
lightweight, low to mild recoil, and well built.

The Ruger 22-45 with the polymer frame might be an option.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:35:23 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Buying a Glock G42 for the wife, 'cause it's light and small. She has shot
my Ruger 10-22 target pistol, and says it's too heavy. Having a lot more
violent crime happening a mile or so away from where we live, and she
wants a pistol that she can handle, in the house. Looking for ammunition
recommendations, or maybe another pistol recommendation, must be
lightweight, low to mild recoil, and well built.

The Ruger 22-45 with the polymer frame might be an option.

The 22-45 has a .45 sized grip and some..some women have a problem
gripping them. I rather like them myself.

GUnner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Buying a Glock G42 for the wife, 'cause it's light and small. She has shot
my Ruger 10-22 target pistol, and says it's too heavy. Having a lot more
violent crime happening a mile or so away from where we live, and she
wants a pistol that she can handle, in the house. Looking for ammunition
recommendations, or maybe another pistol recommendation, must be
lightweight, low to mild recoil, and well built.

The Ruger 22-45 with the polymer frame might be an option.

http://www.armedinheels.com/ruger-sr....html?CDpath=3

http://www.armsbearingcitizen.com/be...istol-reviews/

This of course is my absolute FAVORITE 9mm for a carry weapon

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...r+Model+BM.htm

But as they say..parts are hard to find if you break something. So buy
a couple of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Buying a Glock G42 for the wife, 'cause it's light and small. She has shot
my Ruger 10-22 target pistol, and says it's too heavy. Having a lot more
violent crime happening a mile or so away from where we live, and she
wants a pistol that she can handle, in the house. Looking for ammunition
recommendations, or maybe another pistol recommendation, must be
lightweight, low to mild recoil, and well built.

The Ruger 22-45 with the polymer frame might be an option.

http://www.armedinheels.com/ruger-sr....html?CDpath=3

http://www.armsbearingcitizen.com/be...istol-reviews/

This of course is my absolute FAVORITE 9mm for a carry weapon

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...r+Model+BM.htm

But as they say..parts are hard to find if you break something. So buy
a couple of them.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/BI....ywords=star+bm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You haven't looked at gun prices lately, have you? Or is CA the magic
cheap gun state? In OH, all guns are made of Platinum and bullets are
diamonds. Revolvers are especially pricey, auto-loaders are easier on
the billfold.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

G42 shoots about as easy as any .380 I have shot, certainly better than a 38 snubbie.
A .38 with 4" barrel and low-recoil defense ammo might be a good solution

You might also look at the Ruger LC380 and the Walther PK380. The latter has a thumb safety
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
Buying a Glock G42 for the wife, 'cause it's light and small. She has
shot my Ruger 10-22 target pistol, and says it's too heavy. Having a lot
more violent crime happening a mile or so away from where we live, and
she wants a pistol that she can handle, in the house. Looking for
ammunition recommendations, or maybe another pistol recommendation, must
be lightweight, low to mild recoil, and well built.

Ammo -

Precision One 90 grain HP/XTP
Federal Premium Hydra-Shock 90 grain JHP

Both work very well in my PPK.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Here in California..autoloaders are the expensive items and wheelguns
are the also rans. Everybody has jumped on the autoloader bandwagon
and wheel guns can be had cheap. Particularly .38s.

Now Mod 57s..thats another story..but its because they are largely
collectors items. I had a guy offer me a nice 4" Mod 15 the other
day for $150.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/13/2015 5:10 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Here in California..autoloaders are the expensive items and wheelguns
are the also rans. Everybody has jumped on the autoloader bandwagon
and wheel guns can be had cheap. Particularly .38s.

Now Mod 57s..thats another story..but its because they are largely
collectors items. I had a guy offer me a nice 4" Mod 15 the other
day for $150.

Gunner

Great price, unless used as a hammer. still looking for a 25 and a 28.
I've got a 57 6' Nickle that's about perfect, remember you gave me dies.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/13/2015 4:14 AM, Steve W. wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Buying a Glock G42 for the wife, 'cause it's light and small. She has
shot my Ruger 10-22 target pistol, and says it's too heavy. Having a
lot more violent crime happening a mile or so away from where we live,
and she wants a pistol that she can handle, in the house. Looking for
ammunition recommendations, or maybe another pistol recommendation,
must be lightweight, low to mild recoil, and well built.

Ammo -

Precision One 90 grain HP/XTP
Federal Premium Hydra-Shock 90 grain JHP

Both work very well in my PPK.

I tell my students to use whatever ammo that they can hit a cantaloupe
at 25' every time (7 ring on paper). But your choices are good. Any
gun/ammo combination works well as long as you're comfortable and confident.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Buying a Glock G42 for the wife, 'cause it's light and small. She has shot
my Ruger 10-22 target pistol, and says it's too heavy. Having a lot more
violent crime happening a mile or so away from where we live, and she
wants a pistol that she can handle, in the house. Looking for ammunition
recommendations, or maybe another pistol recommendation, must be
lightweight, low to mild recoil, and well built.

The Ruger 22-45 with the polymer frame might be an option.

I bought a 22-45 for one of my boys. Be careful, you have to follow
the instructions exactly to not damage the frame. Personally, I'd
prefer to hunt down an older model steel frame. I doubt Bill Ruger
ever thought they'd make that in plastic when he designed it.

My son's Glock 26 shoots well.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 05:40:10 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 10/13/2015 5:10 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Here in California..autoloaders are the expensive items and wheelguns
are the also rans. Everybody has jumped on the autoloader bandwagon
and wheel guns can be had cheap. Particularly .38s.

Now Mod 57s..thats another story..but its because they are largely
collectors items. I had a guy offer me a nice 4" Mod 15 the other
day for $150.

Gunner

Great price, unless used as a hammer. still looking for a 25 and a 28.
I've got a 57 6' Nickle that's about perfect, remember you gave me dies.

it was a very nice Mod 15.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=514599781#PIC
Nicer than this one.

I carry my 4" 57 (blue with Pachmeyers) a lot and shoot it a lot.
Picked up a couple molds for it last year. Both SWC, one very light
one, one standard 210gr. In fact, its on my CCW

25s and 28s are hard to find out here. I picked up a 27 a year or so
ago, but seldom shoot it. I rather like the 586 better, which is also
on my CCW. Had to pass up a utility grade 581 last year..no bucks, but
it would have fit my needs very well. $225 as I recall.

Of course Gunbroker and Auction Arms have both of what you are looking
for. Around here..specialty guns like the 25 and 28 are fairly
uncommon, lots of 10s, 13s, 15s, 19s etc etc

28s can be had for about 350-450...27s go a bit more.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=513647219

Locally...guns average half to 2/3s of the price on Gunbroker etc.

The net can be expensive. Shrug

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
Buying a Glock G42 for the wife, 'cause it's light and small. She has
shot my Ruger 10-22 target pistol, and says it's too heavy. Having a
lot more violent crime happening a mile or so away from where we live,
and she wants a pistol that she can handle, in the house. Looking for
ammunition recommendations, or maybe another pistol recommendation,
must be lightweight, low to mild recoil, and well built.

Ammo -

Precision One 90 grain HP/XTP
Federal Premium Hydra-Shock 90 grain JHP

Both work very well in my PPK.

I tell my students to use whatever ammo that they can hit a cantaloupe
at 25' every time (7 ring on paper). But your choices are good. Any
gun/ammo combination works well as long as you're comfortable and confident.

Well...not exactly true.....a 380 at 50 feet with FMJs...really isnt
what I want to be carrying for a sidearm.

But then..I dont have much use for 380s anyways, even with the new
wonder ammo. I think Id rather carry a .22lr than a 380s..but thats
just me.

The 380 is almost off the paper on the low end for a self defense
cartridge. Shrug

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Buying a Glock G42 for the wife, 'cause it's light and small. She has shot
my Ruger 10-22 target pistol, and says it's too heavy. Having a lot more
violent crime happening a mile or so away from where we live, and she
wants a pistol that she can handle, in the house. Looking for ammunition
recommendations, or maybe another pistol recommendation, must be
lightweight, low to mild recoil, and well built.

The Ruger 22-45 with the polymer frame might be an option.

I bought a 22-45 for one of my boys. Be careful, you have to follow
the instructions exactly to not damage the frame. Personally, I'd
prefer to hunt down an older model steel frame. I doubt Bill Ruger
ever thought they'd make that in plastic when he designed it.

My son's Glock 26 shoots well.

Pete Keillor

I had access to a BUckmark..buddies gun, liked it far better than the
Ruger 22..and I have 3 of the 22 self loaders Ruger makes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/13/2015 8:10 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Locally...guns average half to 2/3s of the price on Gunbroker etc.

The net can be expensive. Shrug

Gunner

Please keep your eyes peeled. I still have the cash from my rifle sales.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Some people like 380's, I don't have one, no redeeming qualities for me.
It's what works for a person. Any gun/ammo that puts rounds on target
beats any magnum that you can't hit a barn with! I can hit dimes with
my Mark II but it.s too big and heavy to carry, especially with the 50mm
red dot. I thought about a Crimson Trace for the 442 but for the cost.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Yep MUCH better to carry a combo that you can reliably hit the target
than something that stays in the safe. Plus I have yet to find one of
the folks who say the .380 is useless for self defense BUT will let me
shoot them with it to prove they are right !!!

Ball ammo is not what I'd use for self defense in any weapon if it's my
choice. A good JHP does a better job.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 22:42:49 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 10/13/2015 8:10 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Locally...guns average half to 2/3s of the price on Gunbroker etc.

The net can be expensive. Shrug

Gunner

Please keep your eyes peeled. I still have the cash from my rifle sales.

I certainly will. FFL interstate of course.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Welll...being able to hit and the hit being able to stop someone
quickly..thats two different sides of the coin.

Buddy has a 4mm Flobert...very very accurate pistol. Wont stop a
chickadee.

As I said..the 38 Spec is a far far superior arm than any 380...but
even a small one tends to be bigger than the mini 380s today.

Chuckle..the Baby Browning in 25 ACP was tiny..and made a great
starter pistol with full house ammo.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

In 1977 I took 2 rounds of .380 close to the center of my early model
(issue) Blankenship vest. from an beat up old Astra pistol in the
hands of a drunken Latino who had just shot and wounded his wife.
It felt like I was hit by a couple golf balls hit by a kid. with a
short iron. Didnt even leave much of a bruise. FMJ of course.

Several years later..a fellow deputy was hit smack dab in the x ring
with a 230gr full metal jacket round, wearing the same model vest.
Busted his sternum, left a bruise the size of a desert plate and put
him on his ass from the shock. Didnt knock him down..but stunned him
and he fell. His partner shot the bad guy (once) with a 12ga and a
load of double ought. DRT.

Yeah...both rounds can kill you, but one will do a much better and
faster job of it.
Granted the new bullets "usually" open up and do internal damage..but
the "shocking power" or basic ballistics sure doesnt drive that bullet
very deep if its launched from a low velocity firearm.
Hence....while I do own some .32s and some 380s..they are not..not
what I will carry for a self defense cartridge. If its worth
doing..its worth doing right.

The .380 is infamous for being stopped by decent winter coat and a
sweat shirt or two. There are more than a few reports of this
happening. Even the old .38 S&W will punch through that. Might not go
real deep..but...

Which is why the .380 is charitablly at the far low end of self
defense cartridges and even then its considered to be a "maybe"
stopper.

Shrug

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

I should also mention that good small 9mms are readily available that
will put a badguy down. The 380..is the answer to a question that
today..nobody asks.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/galleries...sonal-defense/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Wed, 14 Oct 2015 04:18:46 -0700

Which is why the .380 is charitablly at the far low end of self
defense cartridges and even then its considered to be a "maybe"
stopper.

Is all about shot placement.

But how often can you get the perpetrator to cooperate, and let
you sill the barrel in his ear?
--
pyotr filipivich
This is a .22 caliber derringer, one of the smallest, lightest handguns

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Which one, the question from the perp? "Ow. (brush off, sans blood)
What was that little bump?"

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 09:52:48 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Wed, 14 Oct 2015 04:18:46 -0700

Which is why the .380 is charitablly at the far low end of self
defense cartridges and even then its considered to be a "maybe"
stopper.

Is all about shot placement.

And the perp cant be wearing a winter coat...

But how often can you get the perpetrator to cooperate, and let
you sill the barrel in his ear?

True indeed.

James Bond started out with a ..25, then went with a 32 as I
recall..people got smart enough that he had to go with a bigger gun.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=255570
"bond had a beretta 25 in casio royale, but traded up for a .32acp in
Dr. No, (book 2). "the CIA swears by them, they have all the delivery
of a brick through a plate glass window""

Snicker....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/14/2015 7:18 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Which is why the .380 is charitablly at the far low end of self
defense cartridges and even then its considered to be a "maybe"
stopper.

Shrug

Gunner

Have you ever seen a .380 target pistol?
(yep, right next to the .25 target model)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 17:14:13 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 10/14/2015 7:18 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Which is why the .380 is charitablly at the far low end of self
defense cartridges and even then its considered to be a "maybe"
stopper.

Shrug

Gunner

Have you ever seen a .380 target pistol?
(yep, right next to the .25 target model)

Back when Bullseye competition (NRA "conventional pistol") was a big
thing, .380 pistols (9mm Kurtz) were sometimes used for the "middle
pistol" in the three-handgun set. I used my .38 Spl. Colt Officer's
Model Target for that, but the .380 was at least as good for the
purpose. There were some nice pistols built for that use and they
typically had big, custom-made conformal grips, as does my .38 Spl.
Colt.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/14/2015 1:01 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Welll...being able to hit and the hit being able to stop someone
quickly..thats two different sides of the coin.

Buddy has a 4mm Flobert...very very accurate pistol. Wont stop a
chickadee.

As I said..the 38 Spec is a far far superior arm than any 380...but
even a small one tends to be bigger than the mini 380s today.

Chuckle..the Baby Browning in 25 ACP was tiny..and made a great
starter pistol with full house ammo.

I would carry my 1911, 57 or 29 but for the size and weight, they're
what I'm most confident with. My most accurate (for me) is my 64
believe it or not, must be the wonderful factory sights!

http://s954.photobucket.com/user/kno...l40ft.jpg.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/14/2015 7:18 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Which is why the .380 is charitablly at the far low end of self
defense cartridges and even then its considered to be a "maybe"
stopper.

Shrug

Gunner

Have you ever seen a .380 target pistol?
(yep, right next to the .25 target model)

Back when Bullseye competition (NRA "conventional pistol") was a big
thing, .380 pistols (9mm Kurtz) were sometimes used for the "middle
pistol" in the three-handgun set. I used my .38 Spl. Colt Officer's
Model Target for that, but the .380 was at least as good for the
purpose. There were some nice pistols built for that use and they
typically had big, custom-made conformal grips, as does my .38 Spl.
Colt.

A silk purse is a silk purse no matter it's raw materials I guess.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Wed, 14 Oct 2015 12:28:31 -0700
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Wed, 14 Oct 2015 04:18:46 -0700

Which is why the .380 is charitablly at the far low end of self
defense cartridges and even then its considered to be a "maybe"
stopper.

Is all about shot placement.

And the perp cant be wearing a winter coat...

But how often can you get the perpetrator to cooperate, and let
you sill the barrel in his ear?

True indeed.

James Bond started out with a ..25, then went with a 32 as I
recall..people got smart enough that he had to go with a bigger gun.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=255570
"bond had a beretta 25 in casio royale, but traded up for a .32acp in
Dr. No, (book 2). "the CIA swears by them, they have all the delivery
of a brick through a plate glass window""

Well, yes. Still leaves the question "Overhand or underhand?"

But what about the bullet?

Snicker....

Great candy bar.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 17:30:28 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 10/14/2015 1:01 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Welll...being able to hit and the hit being able to stop someone
quickly..thats two different sides of the coin.

Buddy has a 4mm Flobert...very very accurate pistol. Wont stop a
chickadee.

As I said..the 38 Spec is a far far superior arm than any 380...but
even a small one tends to be bigger than the mini 380s today.

Chuckle..the Baby Browning in 25 ACP was tiny..and made a great
starter pistol with full house ammo.

I would carry my 1911, 57 or 29 but for the size and weight, they're
what I'm most confident with. My most accurate (for me) is my 64
believe it or not, must be the wonderful factory sights!

http://s954.photobucket.com/user/kno...l40ft.jpg.html

Mod 64?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-model-64-dao/

Very nice weapon. Never owned one..shot a few. Guy will never be
undergunned with a 64 and Plus P ammo

Swapped off a Mod 13 15 yrs ago..always regretted parting with it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_13

same weapon as the 64, just in blue and 357

My favorite K frame will always be the Mod 19 though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

And, one might add, that the weapon used by the Israelis during the
Wrath of God exercise, where they assassinated the terrorists who
killed the Israeli Olympics competitors, was a .22 (Beretta I believe)
target pistol.
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/14/2015 9:21 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I would carry my 1911, 57 or 29 but for the size and weight, they're
what I'm most confident with. My most accurate (for me) is my 64
believe it or not, must be the wonderful factory sights!

http://s954.photobucket.com/user/kno...l40ft.jpg.html

Mod 64?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-model-64-dao/

Very nice weapon. Never owned one..shot a few. Guy will never be
undergunned with a 64 and Plus P ammo

Swapped off a Mod 13 15 yrs ago..always regretted parting with it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_13

same weapon as the 64, just in blue and 357

My favorite K frame will always be the Mod 19 though.

I got the 64 mostly to loan to students, it's a simple learning tool
that just happens to shoot great.

My first pistol was a 19, great shooter! That started my preference for
Nickle. They always photograph horribly and sell cheaper than blue 'cuz
they look like **** in a photo unless photographed by a pro. The
pawnshop guy that sold me the 57 said the seller brought in the gun with
a box of 44 rounds. The seller bought the gun new, didn't like it and
probably only fired 6 rounds through it. All my nickle S&W's are almost
perfect and look good with a good coat of wax and clean up quick and easy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 23:33:58 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

[...]

We differ there. Nickel and pearl handles...pimps and Cadillacs. Ive
got a few Stainless Steel handguns, some of them Ive given a very very
fine bead blast to..to break up the shine. I think the only nickel
handgun Ive ever owned was an Iver Johnson Third Model Safety
Automatic revolver in 32 S&W..and the finish was badly flaking and
looked like ****. Traded it off almost 35 yrs ago for something or
another..dont remember what..and never bothered with another nickle
handgun. I tend to go for 4" guns, though Ive got about 8-9 or so
over that. Not counting the Contenders of course..shrug.

My daily carry Series 70 was blue..and over 20 yrs I wore the bluing
off, so I had it Armaloyed. Its "kinda" silver..same with my Colt
Det. Special. Cost a lot at the time...never needed it redone.
Only finish that if you dent the steel..the coating will move with the
metal

http://www.armoloyftworth.com/Armolo...plications.htm

If you like nickle...check out Armaloy. Works out to be Rockwell 70s
as I recall. Some really..really tough stuff.

A good electroless nickle isnt bad either. Ive got a custom built on a
K frame thats been electroless nickled. Looks pretty good and is
decently tough as well. Not the least bit "shiney". Built a PPC wheel
gun with all the bells and whistles. Hardly ever shoot it.... Its
electroless nickled too. Very fine bead blast and then nickled.

Friend of my Dad ran a plating shop for Ford, retired and set up a
Electroless Nickle and Parkerizing shop and ran it as a hobby for
another 20 yrs. Probably dead now...shrug. He did a number of weapons
for me..mostly parkerized.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

And they were all head shots..and not..not during a gun fight.
Berretta 70s self loaders as I recall.

The Jews have a well known tradition of back of the skull shots with
supressed 22 pistols . Gerald Bull was just one of literally
thousands.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

But the Black September lads were killed, not with a shot to the back
of the head, but a full magazine into the trunk and head. But
generally at very short range, in at least one case so close that the
victim was asked his name and replied.

But as for the midst of a gun battle. I don't envision the O.P.'s wife
getting in any gunfights with her 380.
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Mine has been drawn in defense twice. Both times the simple sight of a
gun made the perp leave the area with no shots fired. However I have run
a LOT of tests in ballistic gelatin and the ammo I use does a good job.
Is it a one shot stop? Don't know but shot placement means a lot in that
regard. I have talked to officers and soldiers who have watched "bad
guys" keep coming after multiple hits from 9mm and .40 as well as .45 cal.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/13/2015 8:14 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I had access to a BUckmark..buddies gun, liked it far better than the
Ruger 22..and I have 3 of the 22 self loaders Ruger makes

A Buckmark is what a Mark wants to be when it grows up.