Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Peep sight

Warning-actual metalworking about to be discussed.One of my favorite
plinking rifles is an old Remington model 12 pump. The rifle is
between 95 and 100 years old but still shoots better than me. My old
eyes have been having a harder time seeing both the front sight and
the target. This weekend I started using the flip up tang peep sight
and I am amazed how much better I can see the front sight and the
target. My accuracy has improved greatly. Now to the metalworking. I
also have an old Remington model 6 rolling block rifle. When I got it
the rifling was shot, the front sight was missing, the extractor was
really worn, and the rear sight was loose. I recently re-lined the
barrel, made a new extractor, and welded up both the front and rear
sight dovetails. I have machined the rear dovetail so now it is a snug
fit. I still need to do the front and will do so after I repair and
old front sight. I found online a NOS Taurus flip up tang sight that
just happens to be made for a reciever that has the same angular
relation ship to the barrel that my rifle has. So when flipped up the
detent in the sight mechanism holds the sight perfectly vertical when
the barrel centerline is perfectly horizontal. The mounting screws
that came with the sight are some special metric thread so I will be
re-threading them. I wouldn't bother with re-threading except the
screws have a special head that I want to preserve because of the way
the screw heads fit the sight.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 09:43:07 -0700, wrote:

[...]

What caliber is the Mod 12 in? 22 Long or 22 short or even one of the
CB cap guns for shooting gallarys?

Nice!

Btw...JB Weld works very nicely filling in profiles if they dont match
exactly. Simply make some up, paste it on the bottom of the base and
tighten down the screws. Before it hardens..take a razor blade and
remove any spooge. Turns out really nice.

Tang sights can be really nice if they fit properly.

WARNING: Giant Peep Attacks America [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 31st 13 12:16 PM
A cool sight today Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 15 March 27th 11 09:29 PM
Oil tank sight tube Bob2000 UK diy 8 December 1st 10 12:24 PM
New Front Sight offer... Joe Metalworking 0 August 31st 10 02:36 PM
Not a Peep From the Landlord HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 14 June 22nd 09 09:13 PM