Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody have a mechanics manual for an 89 E350?

One thing I found out on my S10 pickup was the battery was getting
crappy and when I bought another it was charged enough to start a car,
but not fully charged. The compressor would never turn on if the
voltage was 12v or below. Shades of some of the electronics in the
80's. I Drove the truck in third in town and first in the 1200 foot
driveway and after a couple of days the battery seemed to be high enough
and the compressor would trigger the solenoid and the clutch would
engage making it cold in the cab.

So the real issue was the computer or control circuit or the solenoid
itself.

Yea I have one of those bad boys plugged into my cpu bay that
is located under the car in a 'water tight' box in case the 4 wheel
drive truck goes through a creek or something... Stupid Design if I
hit a rock and i bounce because of the deflection plate and come down
on the computer - ... Designs... or the lack there of. Mine is bozo
as one door blows the horn when the unit is off. So something is bad...

Martin

On 10/3/2015 1:50 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 00:44:47 -0500, PaxPerPoten wrote:

On 10/2/2015 12:33 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 04:20:55 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 00:41:19 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:

On 10/1/2015 9:37 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Im getting the 1989 E350 Cargo van up and running and would like a
good manual for it.

The van actually has only 13k miles on it..but its 30 yrs old..so I
know Im going to be having issues with both electrical and fuel lines
and so forth.

The $29 Haynes manuals at the autozone are..not so good..based on
owning a bunch of them ..including one for this vehicle..'FORD FULL
SIZED VANS 69-91" This one I bought off Ebay at least 6 yrs ago.

Anyone done a "back from the dead" vehicle before? What are the most
common places of "failure due to age"?

I ran it with no issues, back in 2009, but she has sat since then. I
managed to burn off all the old fuel, running the front tank dry this
past Monday, just turning her on and letting her idle for a couple
hours at a time...for the past 6 months.

The original decals are still on all the engine parts, the hoses etc
etc...shrug.

Any suggestions, etc etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gunner

Sorry, I haven't put my hands on my CD yet. A bunch of stuff from the
office was put in the storerooms by the guy that is leasing the
building. I started to go through it all but it was stored haphazardly.
Not his fault, he had no idea what was what. I haven't given up.

I just got my sister's '86 280-Z up after almost 20 years down. The
brake switch on the pedal was sticky, there was rodent chew on wires
under the dash, changed out all fluids, a headlight door is stuck, wiper
blades are shot and AC is low on R-12. Surprising, the thing took a
charge and fired right up with the old gas that had a dose of Stabil in
the full tank. I'll keep an eye on things. All the hoses and belts
seem great, no cracks or hard spots.

You might be surprised!

Which reminds me...the thing takes R-12 in the air conditioning. It
was not working the last time I drove it..so Id imagine it leaked out
over the years. Whats involved in either refilling it or changing it
to R-134? Not for now..but for next spring.

R-12 is still available and would probably cost you less than the
conversion.
The conversion valves are readily available - just screw them on.
Nitrogen purge the system, replace the oil with the right stuff and
put in the 134.

Last one I did cost less than a lb of bootleg R12

If the system isn't chemically cleaned the left over mineral oil will
turn acidic and eventually eat out your seals. You also have to replace
the dryer. Seek competent advice when making this conversion. There is
Pseudo R12 available for $6 to $8 a lb that would make more sense. Your
high and low sensors have to be replaced if you use R134A..Along with
the metering valve. If you decide to use pseudo R12..You may still have
to replace the filter dryer after all these years. I also suggest
ignoring the baaad advice given by the Claven idiot.

Much! Obliged. IVe got Mexican friends who come and go across the
border who can bring me 3.5lbs of R12. I did notice tonight while
working on the van, that turning on the AC brougt the fans on..but the
compressor never engaged. It may be frozen..but I suspect either
clutch is fubar or its an electrical issue.

Years ago after they stole the radio and busted the dash..I found a
big orange box screwed in behind the dash..Clifford Alarms. It was
spliced into so many parts of the electrical system that I simply left
it alone..in some fear. I called a Clifford dealer today, emailed him
some photos..it was installed before his time, but will find me the
schematics of the hookup so I can get rid of it and put the wee little
******* back to full operating order. They installed aftermarket
cruise control, this alarm, a ****load of lighting and other
superflourous crap under the dash..and while they did a nice job of
it...too many things are tied to too many other things. Im pretty sure
this has engine kill, and fuel pump kill and an audible and timed
delay etc etc..so I simply want it out and the wiring brought back to
factory specs. If I want an alarm..Ill do it myself, lable everything
and so forth.

Gunner