Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Now that Smallparts is gone

Where do you buy your replacement paper shredder gears?
I inherited a stripped main helical gear in an Aurora AU1215XB
shredder yesterday. Once I got the wads of paper out, I tried it and
found that it was stripped. Looking more closely, it's about 1/3 of
the gear teeth which are gone. They did a number on it.

I googledit and pretty much got nothing. While I'm waiting to hear
back from Aurora, do you guys know of any existing small parts shops
who might stock this lovely nylon gear? It'd be a striped ass bitch
to make one on my buddy's mill, especially since I have a total of a
couple hours experience with it.

It's all Gunner's fault, not finding a teensy one I can toss in the
back of my pickemup and drag home so I can cut my eye teeth on a mill
of my own. snort

The drive motor of this thing looks like a small servo with a 5/32"
4-flute end mill built onto the end of the shaft. No wonder it took
off the teeth when some idiot fed in too much paper at once. sigh

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 07:04:23 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Where do you buy your replacement paper shredder gears?
I inherited a stripped main helical gear in an Aurora AU1215XB
shredder yesterday. Once I got the wads of paper out, I tried it and
found that it was stripped. Looking more closely, it's about 1/3 of
the gear teeth which are gone. They did a number on it.

I googledit and pretty much got nothing. While I'm waiting to hear
back from Aurora, do you guys know of any existing small parts shops
who might stock this lovely nylon gear? It'd be a striped ass bitch
to make one on my buddy's mill, especially since I have a total of a
couple hours experience with it.

It's all Gunner's fault, not finding a teensy one I can toss in the
back of my pickemup and drag home so I can cut my eye teeth on a mill
of my own. snort

Next trip down, bring a trailer (Grin)

The drive motor of this thing looks like a small servo with a 5/32"
4-flute end mill built onto the end of the shaft. No wonder it took
off the teeth when some idiot fed in too much paper at once. sigh

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 10:04:10 AM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Take a look at http://www.smallparts2.com/ They don't sell parts, but they do have the smallparts catalog as a pdf, and they have a forum with discussion on where to get stuff. Much of the smallparts stuff is available from Amazon. Use the catalog to find what you want, then look for it on Amazon. I've had pretty good success with that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I meant to post this when I found out about it, then forgot (it's only
been 10 days).

He http://www.componentsupplycompany.com/

You may also want to try Stock Drive: http://www.sdp-si.com, and WM Berg
(Google it).

You may be SOL unless you also replace the matching part -- gears are one
of those things that are easy to custom-make if you're building over 1000
of something, and there's probably a hundred times that many little paper
shredders in the world.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Where do you buy your replacement paper shredder gears?
I inherited a stripped main helical gear in an Aurora AU1215XB
shredder yesterday. Once I got the wads of paper out, I tried it and
found that it was stripped. Looking more closely, it's about 1/3 of
the gear teeth which are gone. They did a number on it.

snip

Create an STL file and have one 3d printed? Or maybe this one would
work:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/BM3...dder-rxel-p185

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Where do you buy your replacement paper shredder gears?
I inherited a stripped main helical gear in an Aurora AU1215XB
shredder yesterday. Once I got the wads of paper out, I tried it and
found that it was stripped. Looking more closely, it's about 1/3 of
the gear teeth which are gone. They did a number on it.

I googledit and pretty much got nothing. While I'm waiting to hear
back from Aurora, do you guys know of any existing small parts shops
who might stock this lovely nylon gear? It'd be a striped ass bitch
to make one on my buddy's mill, especially since I have a total of a
couple hours experience with it.

It's all Gunner's fault, not finding a teensy one I can toss in the
back of my pickemup and drag home so I can cut my eye teeth on a mill
of my own. snort

Next trip down, bring a trailer (Grin)

Maybe I'll use your plasma to make flat panels out of the utility bed
and take that trailer home with me. BUT, I still don't have room for
a large mill. sigh

The drive motor of this thing looks like a small servo with a 5/32"
4-flute end mill built onto the end of the shaft. No wonder it took
off the teeth when some idiot fed in too much paper at once. sigh

Aurora got back to me with a price on a gear kit, $15 shipped. Not
too bad for a 32 cent plastic part.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 12:25:24 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

Ah yew a dahktah? Luer fittings and hypo syringes galore, but, alas,
no shredder gears.

You may also want to try Stock Drive: http://www.sdp-si.com, and WM Berg
(Google it).

Egad! I'd have to disassemble and precisely measure it first to use
their site.

You may be SOL unless you also replace the matching part -- gears are one
of those things that are easy to custom-make if you're building over 1000
of something, and there's probably a hundred times that many little paper
shredders in the world.

I doubt a mismatch would be the case, since it's a milled metal shaft
against a nylon gear, with nylon to nylon on the secondary gear on the
back, but one never knows. But with me retiring, I'm pondering the
true need for a shredder in the first place. I can burn my personal
papers throughout the burn season up here, so I probably won't spend
even that measly $15 on the gear set. It was a fun 40-minute romp
tearing apart the shredder, though. 'Tis an amazingly heavy beastie
which sold for a mere $46 new.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
-- Glenn Doman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jackass wrote:

Where do you buy your replacement paper shredder gears?
I inherited a stripped main helical gear in an Aurora AU1215XB
shredder yesterday. Once I got the wads of paper out, I tried it and
found that it was stripped. Looking more closely, it's about 1/3 of
the gear teeth which are gone. They did a number on it.

snip

Create an STL file and have one 3d printed? Or maybe this one would
work:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/BM3...dder-rxel-p185

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

The way I see it the key really isn't the printing, its drawing the gear.

Larry Jackass is both too lazy and too stupid to learn. I'm sure some moron/sucker will help Larry Jackass, it's just not me.

Quite a few people in my LinkedIn group, CADCAM Technology Leaders, help each other out for free on this kind of stuff. The reason is that many group members make their own RC cars/parts. Daniel is a member and has been a friend of mine for a long time:

http://www.topsolid.com/news-and-eve...h-topsolid.htm

Just another way LinkedIn rocks and idiots who can't grasp how to make the best of LinkedIn continue to fall further and further behind.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Small Parts is gone but Stock Drive Products is still around. https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Catalog