Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Possible reason the A-10 is being dropped

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 23:22:13 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Well you are looking at baby lasers.

In the 70's - late - I saw a 8 'barrel' cut 1/2" steel plate like butter.

Lasers are for Engineering and Research are different than the
table top lasers used to study lenses.

All it has to do on an ICBM or MIRV is to create a bump or snag.
A high energy pulsed machine gun type would cause massive friction
burns that melt down by friction any ICBM or MRV.

This isn't new technology. The magic in this stuff is shoot
an ICBM with a shotgun and it kills itself.

Martin

It is new technology. None of the other high-powered lasers worked out
for a weapon. Diode-bade fiber lasers have.

--
Ed Huntress

On 9/25/2015 9:38 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:40:25 -0500, Ignoramus32266

On 2015-09-25, Randy333 wrote:
ICBM's are rather fragile things and I think a laser could do some
damage. An A-10 is a tank buster, what can a laser do to 10" plus of
armor plate?

500LB laser guided bombs might be the replacemnet for an A-10. They
did use these in the gulf war for killing tanks.

I thought that lasers only operate at a small radius, under a few
miles.

It takes an ICBM a few seconds to fly that distance.

Lasers are nowhere near capable of taking out an ICBM today, or a
tank. Maybe in the future. For now, as Randy says, it's the new
super-smart bombs that are the tank killers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 13:56:24 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:54:04 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I saw that too, but the picture resolution was not sufficient to see
what they were hitting.

This weapon is intended to devastate a mass of tanks attacking, so
think of it as a hi-tech kind of grapeshot, one that works on targets
well beyond line of sight. They probably don't care that not all the
grapeshot hits something, so long as the attack is broken, or the
staging area well behind the front is devastated.

To have been impressed by that video, I would have needed to see about
4x the kills they got from the ordnance. Seeing only one effect on
any of the ground vehicles/targets per instance left me flat. Nothing
was blown off any tank or target, no targets fell over, etc. Just the
one explosion per. I'll bet the designers were underwhelmed, too.

The armchair generals (and other politicians) probably loved the sound
and fury of it all.

Cluster bombs in general...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScmfbOwRreU

Well, you can sure see the damage from those clusters.
It's raining pieces for minutes afterward.

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Well you are looking at baby lasers.

In the 70's - late - I saw a 8 'barrel' cut 1/2" steel plate like butter.

Lasers are for Engineering and Research are different than the
table top lasers used to study lenses.

All it has to do on an ICBM or MIRV is to create a bump or snag.
A high energy pulsed machine gun type would cause massive friction
burns that melt down by friction any ICBM or MRV.

This isn't new technology. The magic in this stuff is shoot
an ICBM with a shotgun and it kills itself.

Unless one is well-placed over enemy territory, the launch rocket is
out of reach. At the target end, it's raining reentry vehicles, each
of which is equipped with a very good ablation shield to survive
reentry. It takes a very large laser to drill that shield.

Joe Gwinn

On 9/25/2015 9:38 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:40:25 -0500, Ignoramus32266

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 17:31:42 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:19:05 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:11:59 -0400, Joe Gwinn

On 2015-09-25, Randy333 wrote:
ICBM's are rather fragile things and I think a laser could do some
damage. An A-10 is a tank buster, what can a laser do to 10" plus of
armor plate?

500LB laser guided bombs might be the replacemnet for an A-10. They
did use these in the gulf war for killing tanks.

I thought that lasers only operate at a small radius, under a few
miles.

It takes an ICBM a few seconds to fly that distance.

Lasers are nowhere near capable of taking out an ICBM today, or a
tank. Maybe in the future. For now, as Randy says, it's the new
super-smart bombs that are the tank killers.

Sensor-Fuzed Weapons, how to break a massed tank assault. This from
Textron.

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HkauuIyDsM

I saw many dozens of skeet go off but only one explosion on a ground
vehicle in any of those shots. Doesn't look very effective, but it
sure looks and sounds impressive while it's being ineffective, wot?

[...]

You are missing something critical, the explosively-formed penetrators.
They are solid metal projectiles formed by specially-designed shaped
charges. The projectile will be going about 2 kilometers a second, and
is quite capable of devastating a tank. But it doesn't make that big a
blast.

OK, perhaps I am expecting too many explosions when a tank is taken
out. I thought that most anything which penetrated a tank would also
hit the stray munitions inside, causing a large explosion. Too many
movies?

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_formed_penetrator

.http://www.google.com/patents/US6186070

What I've had trouble wrapping my mind around is how a wad of nearly
molten copper, which is much softer than armor plate, can penetrate
the hardened steel. Is sheer velocity/mass the reason? Or do they
melt their way through? I can see how the super tough, pointed
tungsten rods in many KE tank-busting rounds can do it, but how about
the rounded EF copper glob?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaped_charge says that shaped charges
are kinetic rather than relying on jets of molten metal to melt their
way through the target. Interesting.

The most effective IEDs are EFPs from Iran.

.http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-sees-new-weapon-in-iraq-iranian-efps/

It makes little difference that those tanks look OK from the outside.
The heavier the armor, the stronger the effect. The inside of a tank
hit by such a penetrator is dust and red mush.

Ah, OK. I know that penetrators do a frenetic dance inside the cavity
they penetrate, bouncing around for quite awhile, destroying anything
they touch.

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 14:37:11 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 17:31:42 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:19:05 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:11:59 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

On 2015-09-25, Randy333 wrote:
[...]

Ayup...bounce a 5 oz piece of copper around the inside of a tank at
2000 feet per second..and there isnt much left of the crew or the
controls. It bounces around like a Ronco Slice and Dice.

More like a Cuisinart juicer!

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 14:23:22 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:55:31 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:38:46 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus32266 wrote:

I was thinking, about those smart fuzed bombs and such.

Are they actually effective against a smart opponent?

Could they be rendered useless by some simple tricks, like inflatable
tanks, spray painted tank outlines on the ground, or something else
that is cheap but can confuse those weapons?

Although not mentioned in the video, these can hit moving targets.

For stationary targets, I'm sure that self-heated decoys could work.

Basically, the original rationale was to break a mass of tanks flowing
through the Fulda Gap in Germany, from afar.

The Warsaw Pact had something like three or four times as many tanks as
Nato, so there was lots of attention spent on ways to even the balance.
Actually, The A-10 was one of these ways.

I don't see why they want to replace the lovely and SUPER-EFFECTIVE
Warthogs. What's a little DU among friends?

DU is only ONE of the rounds that can be fired from the A10

Its a very safe and VERY effective aircraft and should be retained.

It's also extremely low-cost to build and operate. Aha, perhaps
that's why the arms dealers want it gone and are convincing the Brass
to dump it...

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Well you are looking at baby lasers.

In the 70's - late - I saw a 8 'barrel' cut 1/2" steel plate like butter.

Lasers are for Engineering and Research are different than the
table top lasers used to study lenses.

All it has to do on an ICBM or MIRV is to create a bump or snag.
A high energy pulsed machine gun type would cause massive friction
burns that melt down by friction any ICBM or MRV.

This isn't new technology. The magic in this stuff is shoot
an ICBM with a shotgun and it kills itself.

Unless one is well-placed over enemy territory, the launch rocket is
out of reach. At the target end, it's raining reentry vehicles, each
of which is equipped with a very good ablation shield to survive
reentry. It takes a very large laser to drill that shield.

Joe Gwinn

The lasers Martin is talking about were the chemical lasers that were
pumped with a chemical reaction, and that could put out a continuous 1
MW beam. They've been abandoned as weapons for several reasons. They
just aren't practical.

The laser types being developed now are solid-state, mostly
diode-pumped fiber lasers developed from industrial cutting and
welding lasers.

There are other types of lasers under development that hold promise
for weapons. Right now, in industry, we're all waiting for high-power
direct-diode lasers. There are some prototypes working now. They could
make extremely compact weapons.

--
Ed Huntress

On 9/25/2015 9:38 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:40:25 -0500, Ignoramus32266

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:38:46 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus32266 wrote:

[...]

They're dumping it because an illiterate, barefoot gook with a
three-generations-old, black-market Russian MANPADS can knock them out
of the sky like flies with a flyswatter.

Otherwise, they're great.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 17:31:42 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:19:05 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:11:59 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Probably depends on where the penetrator hit - the magazine is somewhat
separate, and unarmed artillery shells are not fragile.

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_formed_penetrator

.http://www.google.com/patents/US6186070

What I've had trouble wrapping my mind around is how a wad of nearly
molten copper, which is much softer than armor plate, can penetrate
the hardened steel. Is sheer velocity/mass the reason? Or do they
melt their way through? I can see how the super tough, pointed
tungsten rods in many KE tank-busting rounds can do it, but how about
the rounded EF copper glob?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaped_charge says that shaped charges
are kinetic rather than relying on jets of molten metal to melt their
way through the target. Interesting.

The kinetic energy of a kilogram of metal moving at 2,000 meters per
second (Mach 6 or 7) is considerable: 2 megajoules. This is a meteor
strike.

At the force levels of such impacts, there are *no* solids, and only
density matters. And speed of course. Think of it like drilling dirt
with a water hose.

The simulation software used to predict effects are called hydrocodes,
as in fluid dynamics.

The most effective IEDs are EFPs from Iran.

.http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-sees-new-weapon-in-iraq-iranian-efps/

It makes little difference that those tanks look OK from the outside.
The heavier the armor, the stronger the effect. The inside of a tank
hit by such a penetrator is dust and red mush.

Ah, OK. I know that penetrators do a frenetic dance inside the cavity
they penetrate, bouncing around for quite awhile, destroying anything
they touch.

And don't forget the steel fragments from where the penetrator barged
through four to six inches of armor steel. This inside will look like
it was sand blasted. The crew never knew.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

Yes, but megawatts are really not enough - everything is too critical
to carry off under battlefield conditions. Needs to be tens of
megawatts, and a hundred would make this a duck shoot against all but
reentry vehicles (which will spin and have mirror finishes by then).

These issues and stories come up in Aviation Week from time to time.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

Well, how much you need is a matter of what you're trying to do. Right
now, fiber laser bundles putting out on the order of 30 kW are able to
shoot down drones and disable speedboats. They apparently can shoot
down small rockets, like the ones Hamas and Hezbollah shoot at Israel.
The Israelis want a bunch of them, fast.

At 100 kW, you have a pretty useful battlefield weapon. They'll have
that soon. At 1 MW, you're able to burn through some armor.

For the shorter ranges they're working with now, it's more a matter of
focus (BPP, if you're into lasers) and tracking. The beam(s) is
focused with lenses; it doesn't depend on the parallel beams
themselves. The tracking must be absolutely amazing to place a steady
laser spot on a flying drone for a few seconds and shoot it down, but
that's what the shipboard systems can already do.

Star Wars is still a ways off.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

And they will work for a while, and are perfect for defeating a swarm
attack.

But a lightweight water-cooled shield will defeat a 30 KW laser, so
long as the sea doesn't run out of water.

They apparently can shoot
down small rockets, like the ones Hamas and Hezbollah shoot at Israel.
The Israelis want a bunch of them, fast.

Yep. The problem here is the distance and the unsteady atmosphere.

At 100 kW, you have a pretty useful battlefield weapon. They'll have
that soon. At 1 MW, you're able to burn through some armor.

And no worries about unsteady atmosphere.

For the shorter ranges they're working with now, it's more a matter of
focus (BPP, if you're into lasers) and tracking. The beam(s) is
focused with lenses; it doesn't depend on the parallel beams
themselves. The tracking must be absolutely amazing to place a steady
laser spot on a flying drone for a few seconds and shoot it down, but
that's what the shipboard systems can already do.

Yes tracking is key, but so are active optics, to maintain a bright
focal spot despite blooming due to the beam itself.

Star Wars is still a ways off.

Yes, but we will get there, one new capability at a time, as the art
progresses.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Guess you wanted nerve gas loads inside and if the boom wasn't enough
then the marketing group got to clean up the bomb zone...

Targets normally don't have much boom unless they are looking for
a show.

They are old versions that have fuel to put them there unless a crane
lift didn't.

Martin

On 9/27/2015 10:22 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 17:31:42 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:19:05 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:11:59 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:40:25 -0500, Ignoramus32266

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm talking about an ICBM or MRV coming in at high speed
and you shoot it with a BB, the BB dents the skin which then
causes friction and burning and you know the rest. Think of the
Shuttle. Something out of place or moving into the airflow burns and
causes massive disruption and explosions as it cascades into death.

Martin

wrote:

Well you are looking at baby lasers.

In the 70's - late - I saw a 8 'barrel' cut 1/2" steel plate like butter.

Lasers are for Engineering and Research are different than the
table top lasers used to study lenses.

All it has to do on an ICBM or MIRV is to create a bump or snag.
A high energy pulsed machine gun type would cause massive friction
burns that melt down by friction any ICBM or MRV.

This isn't new technology. The magic in this stuff is shoot
an ICBM with a shotgun and it kills itself.

Martin

It is new technology. None of the other high-powered lasers worked out
for a weapon. Diode-bade fiber lasers have.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Can you imagine the barrel of a tank cannon heated up in a spot -
I think it just might 'backfire'...

Martin

On 9/27/2015 2:37 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:11:49 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 17:31:42 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:19:05 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:11:59 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Yes, probably.

What I've had trouble wrapping my mind around is how a wad of nearly
molten copper, which is much softer than armor plate, can penetrate
the hardened steel. Is sheer velocity/mass the reason? Or do they
melt their way through? I can see how the super tough, pointed
tungsten rods in many KE tank-busting rounds can do it, but how about
the rounded EF copper glob?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaped_charge says that shaped charges
are kinetic rather than relying on jets of molten metal to melt their
way through the target. Interesting.

The kinetic energy of a kilogram of metal moving at 2,000 meters per
second (Mach 6 or 7) is considerable: 2 megajoules. This is a meteor
strike.

Indeed!

At the force levels of such impacts, there are *no* solids, and only
density matters. And speed of course. Think of it like drilling dirt
with a water hose.

The simulation software used to predict effects are called hydrocodes,
as in fluid dynamics.

That's very telling, isn't it?

The most effective IEDs are EFPs from Iran.

.http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-sees-new-weapon-in-iraq-iranian-efps/

It makes little difference that those tanks look OK from the outside.
The heavier the armor, the stronger the effect. The inside of a tank
hit by such a penetrator is dust and red mush.

Ah, OK. I know that penetrators do a frenetic dance inside the cavity
they penetrate, bouncing around for quite awhile, destroying anything
they touch.

And don't forget the steel fragments from where the penetrator barged
through four to six inches of armor steel. This inside will look like
it was sand blasted. The crew never knew.

The pureed crew?

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:11:49 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 17:31:42 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:19:05 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:11:59 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Exactly. Red mist. Cooked.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 08:22:20 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 17:31:42 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:19:05 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:11:59 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:40:25 -0500, Ignoramus32266

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 17:31:42 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:19:05 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:11:59 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

On 2015-09-25, Randy333 wrote:
[...]

I did, right after watching the movie "The Jackal". That was a
meanass little remote controlled toy, wot? The look on Jack Black's
face...

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 07:24:21 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

The most effective IEDs are EFPs from Iran.

.http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-sees-new-weapon-in-iraq-iranian-efps/

It makes little difference that those tanks look OK from the outside.
The heavier the armor, the stronger the effect. The inside of a tank
hit by such a penetrator is dust and red mush.

Ah, OK. I know that penetrators do a frenetic dance inside the cavity
they penetrate, bouncing around for quite awhile, destroying anything
they touch.

Look up "spalling"

I did, right after watching the movie "The Jackal". That was a
meanass little remote controlled toy, wot? The look on Jack Black's
face...

Indeed.

btw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond-armour_effect

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=99177

Anti-spall liners work...up to a point...after that...cringe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 3:37:38 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

Again, that's because since the Spanish American war and the time of Nicola Tesla the US military has financially focused in on metal and chemical fashioning side of the military (that benefitted fossil fuel concerns) and relatively nothing went toward military electrophysics or electromagnetic research and production.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 14:37:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 3:37:38 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

You seem to have a belief that the military could create magic if they
just knew what technologies would be available 50 years in advance.

As for long-range Star Wars lasers to knock out ICBMs, what do you do
if it rains?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 3:37:38 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed
Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

============

How can you use a computer yet be so ignorant? Have you heard of
Radar, a highly theory-dependent military invention of the mid 30's?
We tested torpedos that sensed the target ship's magnetic field in
1928.

The Navy developed the electromechanical drive used in modern hybrid
cars a century ago for battleships and submarines.
http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-038.htm

Cell phone technology arose from military research during WW2, as did
computers themselves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

The DEW Line early warning radar project of the 50's forced us to
learn how to network computers automatically. Mitre, the think tank
where I worked, was formed to help integrate IBM's computer expertise
with Raytheon's radar knowledge. No single existing company possessed
the combined skills the project demanded.

I used and maintained an Army-Air Force ancestor of the Internet in
the early 70's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Digital_Network
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...ations_Network

Can you understand this description of WW2 tech? That principle of
rectangular polar conversion is basic to advanced electronics.
Sin^2(X) + Cos^2(X) = 1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-f...ection_finding

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Ed
Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

When I was closely involved with that stuff, before the push toward
COTS, military electronics were about 20 years ahead of civilian use.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_off-the-shelf

Remember the comment that the missing Malaysian airliner could have
been tracked if it carried the right technology? I built prototypes of
it in ~1995.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 18:54:39 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Ed
Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

DARPA has pushed laser technology for decades. As I mentioned, the man
who helped me built a ruby-rod laser in 1965, Dr. Herb Elion, was
doing advanced laser research for the Navy then.

When they dropped the chemical lasers for impracticality, diode lasers
were already making progress in industry. So a lot of research tagged
along with that. Those are the weapons we have today. The realm that
further advances in laser weapons are in consists largely of problems
with maintaining beam integrity. The government has thrown a lot of
money into university research that's been working on that. It's very
complex.

Laser technology has been pushed so hard, from so many angles, for so
long, that it seems doubtful that it could have moved much faster, no
matter how much military-industrial-complex money was thrown at it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Ed
Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

In the mid 60's a military contractor beamed a ruby laser between
their NH facilities 15 miles apart. While they were setting up the
beam hit the ground, causing a woman to fall into a fit of religious
ecstasy from seeing the Burning Bush.

I spent three college summers working on government research grants.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 3:38:53 PM UTC-7, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 3:37:38 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed
Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

You want ignorant I'd suggest you read Larry Jackass's posts and start calling him out on his never ending bull****. From 9/11 truther to complete machining moron.

Larry is easily the dumbest mother****er I've ever seen post to this group. I guess that what decades of being an alcoholic does to someone who has very little brains to start with.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 18:38:48 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Again, that's because since the Spanish American war and the time of
Nicola Tesla the US military has financially focused in on metal and
chemical fashioning side of the military (that benefitted fossil fuel
concerns) and relatively nothing went toward military electrophysics
or electromagnetic research and production.

Nicola Tesla was actually the initiator of what could have been Star
Wars tech way back when. Ever hear of Tunguska?
http://www.teslasociety.com/tunguska.htm

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

EMP bombs. Nasty. Destroys electronics.

Rail Guns. Basically a linear accelerator that shoots a projectile
at a high rate, electrically driven by electronics.

Martin

On 9/28/2015 4:37 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 3:37:38 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The fighter interceptors were to be above the clouds in thin air.
No rain. Fighters and all military are rated to take off in adverse
weather. You can see the extreme with the hurricane hunters. Flying
through a wall.

The first go that we gave away was anti-missile missile - pre "Star
Wars" tag and before Regan .

The missile would fly in the region and explode itself - throwing
its payload and itself at the incoming up in the apogee area where
the arc is narrow. Have the incoming wipe themselves up.
Then there were the lower defense missiles that were directed to each
war head that had the characteristics of a real bomb not just shape and
weight. All sorts of advanced radar work and physics out your ears on
that. So the short fast (real fast) missiles would destruct them
raining their trash in a small region of entry, but no 50 MT bomb boom.

It was neat to see the pictures of our Sea Air Rescue (flying boat)
bombing with 5 pound flour sacs on the decks of Soviet subs filming
operations. They could not say anything since they were in violation
of treaty... Think sticky flour all over you with limited shower
facilities.

Martin

On 9/28/2015 4:59 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 14:37:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 3:37:38 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 10:15:04 AM UTC-7, slow eddy wrote:

I built my first laser in 1965, with a synthetic ruby rod given to me
by Dr. Herb Elion of Princeton University, who did pioneering laser
research for the US Navy. I then attached it to a shark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We used the campus water tower to range with. It was easy
to get mechanical distance and later it was done using a laser.

On a dark night, without a moon, you could just see it on the
tower with a small telescope or binoculars.

Love the burning bush.

We worked on a neutron gun. Spooky. But I learned
how to protect oneself from a neutron explosion or beam.

Candle wax. Large thick blocks. Then the same in concrete.

I was using a machine in the same lab as our 'mad' and lovable
scientist from Scotland. Fresh out PHD in the right field.
And a voice we never heard in East Texas in the late 60's.
And 5 years after I lived in the south pacific.

Martin

wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Ed
Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good one.
Martin

On 9/28/2015 5:38 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 3:37:38 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed
Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:15:06 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Ed
Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:06:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn

wrote:

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

Set her knickers on fire, did it?

I spent three college summers working on government research grants.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Again, that's because since the Spanish American war and the time of
Nicola Tesla the US military has financially focused in on metal and
chemical fashioning side of the military (that benefitted fossil
fuel
concerns) and relatively nothing went toward military electrophysics
or electromagnetic research and production.

Nicola Tesla was actually the initiator of what could have been Star
Wars tech way back when. Ever hear of Tunguska?
http://www.teslasociety.com/tunguska.htm

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Yes, I've heard of it. I research historical mysteries.
They've found the hole the bolide made on impact.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Cheko

Tesla grossly underestimated the impedance and losses in what was then
called the Heaviside Layer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr_BMf6W7So

We know much more about it now that we can make accurate measurements.
http://www.wanttoknow.info/war/haarp...fare _weapons

I got my amateur radio license at Mitre, from a retiree who had been
an early British radar boffin. He covered the properties of the
ionosphere extensively, then told us which of the antennas out on the
front lawn he had used to determine them.

You really are a sucker for simpleminded voodoo science. The reality
is much more interesting if you can handle its mathematical
complexity.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Gee, what a nice way to put that, Jim!

The reality
is much more interesting if you can handle its mathematical
complexity.

I got up to algebra II and some trig in tech school, but the heavier
stuff used in quantum/higher physics is beyond me.

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 7:23:02 PM UTC-7, Larry Jaques wrote:

I got up to algebra II and some trig in tech school, but the heavier
stuff used in quantum/higher physics is beyond me.

Tying his own shoelaces is way beyond 9/11 truther Larry Jackass.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Pseudoscience explanations intentionally spare the poorly educated
from those confusing numbers, such as the temperature of combustion
and the melting points of metals.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 07:27:15 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Pseudoscience explanations intentionally spare the poorly educated
from those confusing numbers, such as the temperature of combustion
and the melting points of metals.

So, people are poorly educated until they have been taught these?

Set Theory
Group Theory
Algebra (linear, abstract, etc.)
Differential and integral calculus of a single variable
Differential and integral calculus of several variables
Ordinary differential equations
Partial differential equations
Real Analysis
Complex Analysis
Topology
Discrete mathematics (combinatorics, graph theory, etc.)
Number Theory
Geometry (projective, differential, etc.)
Probability theory
Statistics (statistics is often taught as a discipline in its own
right, rather than as part of a maths course).

You have a high bar, sir.

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I never suggested that people should have my education, or that small
subset of it, unless they intend to work in aerospace electronic R&D.
I frequently post simplified explanations that don't require even
introductory calculus.

This is an example of the mathematics of digital communications:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrica...F12_chap07.pdf

-jsw

Damn... dropped it SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 35 January 21st 13 11:26 PM
Sharp DV-L80 dropped [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 2nd 07 02:50 AM
Dropped kerb John UK diy 20 April 25th 07 05:56 PM
Almost dropped the phone. LRod Woodworking 5 March 13th 05 01:46 AM
Dropped Sanyo TV Bill Electronics Repair 4 December 18th 04 04:33 AM