Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crankcase repairs

Here are some photos of repairing the hole in my tractor crankcase . Welds
looked kinda ****ty , but this is a piece of aluminum that's been soaking in
oil for over 30 years . I'm happy enough with it that I'm going to send the
one I bought* back and use this one .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1
--
Snag
* They used a power disk sander to remove the gaskets and sealant from the

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 13:13:51 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Here are some photos of repairing the hole in my tractor crankcase . Welds
looked kinda ****ty , but this is a piece of aluminum that's been soaking in
oil for over 30 years . I'm happy enough with it that I'm going to send the
one I bought* back and use this one .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Looks pretty good to me, considering what you have to work with. A
whole lot better than the mess I made welding the broken cargo rack for
the back of my motorcycle. In hindsight, I should have dug out my MIG
machine and skipped trying to do it with stick. Heck, that's how I
fabbed it originally many years ago. My stick welding skills just aren't
up-to-snuff for fussy work like that. Sigh...

What a raw deal on the replacement crankcase. I find it hard to believe
someone would think that was a suitable way to clean up a gasket
surface. Sad thing is it will probably be sold again, till someone gets
it that either doesn't care or doesn't know the difference...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Here are some photos of repairing the hole in my tractor crankcase . Welds
looked kinda ****ty , but this is a piece of aluminum that's been soaking in
oil for over 30 years . I'm happy enough with it that I'm going to send the
one I bought* back and use this one .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Nicely done! Good matching of the plug as well as the scarf.

If you do much of this..Id strongly suggest you find a small bead
blaster, regular sand will work...to clean up the area around the
weldment. Clean it up well and it prevent that porosity as the area
will be squeeky clean and fresh metal. TIG I expect and you did
preheat well with a torch, right?

Nice job!

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Here are some photos of repairing the hole in my tractor crankcase
. Welds looked kinda ****ty , but this is a piece of aluminum that's
been soaking in oil for over 30 years . I'm happy enough with it
that I'm going to send the one I bought* back and use this one .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Nicely done! Good matching of the plug as well as the scarf.

If you do much of this..Id strongly suggest you find a small bead
blaster, regular sand will work...to clean up the area around the
weldment. Clean it up well and it prevent that porosity as the area
will be squeeky clean and fresh metal. TIG I expect and you did
preheat well with a torch, right?

Nice job!

Gunner

Thanks ! It was still warm from the oven and yes I used TIG . I baked it at
350 for a while - after 2 cycles of scrub with gasoline then with detergent
.. I fitted the patch with about .003 clearance to help avoid weld shrinkage
causing warpage . I do have a small sand blaster setup , I never considered
using it to minimize porosity . I wasn't sure this was going to work , I
don't usually do well with oil-soaked aluminum . I did take more care to
clean up the piece this time .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

As you of course know...clean aluminum is what you are needing before
you ever strike an arc. So blasting the area around the weldment will
take off all the scum, the oil and the trash. Blast it..take it
directly to the bench and heat it up. You did a pretty fair job with
what you had to work with. Kudos. Better next time...its all a
learning experience.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That case was scrubbed 4 times , gas/detergent/clean gas/detergent , then
baked in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes . Now if I had a vapor
degreaser ... I knew there was going to be carbon contamination floating up
out of the welds , just a question of whether I'd have to grind it out and
re-do . And how many times . That was the first try , looked better than any
I've done in the past and so I said to myself "Self , you better quit while
you're ahead." . So I did .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You didn't do an acetone soak?

--
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work until it's opened.
--Frank Zappa
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No ... I was out . I guess that would have gotten a little more oil out of
the pores .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Here are some photos of repairing the hole in my tractor crankcase
... a piece of aluminum
that's been soaking in oil for over 30 years .

That case was scrubbed 4 times , gas/detergent/clean gas/detergent , then
baked in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes . Now if I had a vapor
degreaser ...

I'd have packed some kitty litter around it while baking in the oven. It makes
a good scouring powder for coarse work. Clay type (bentonite?), not the cellulose stuff.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OUT of an important chemical? tsk, tsk, tsk Oh, well.
Mebbenextime.

--
I hate being bipolar ....... It's awesome!