Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT, What to do with books? Help

I have 6 feet by 20 feet of text books (probably about 2-300), double stacked. 50+ years in the engineering profession.
Primary subjects a Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Bridge design, Hydraulics, Electronics, and heavy on Mathematics.
My heart will not let me throw them away. Gladly give them for free to anybody that could use them.

What have you all done with your library after your career winds down?
Admittedly, the books are old, and all the information therein could be found on the internet today.

Few years ago I took 7 boxes of computer books and gave them to my local used book store. Found out a few weeks later that all were thrown out (many were only 2-3 years old) because people buy novels only. Won't do that again!

There was an age when all these books were necessary. How could you get by without "King's Hydraulic Tables"? GE's electronic tube characteristics, transistor data books etc. Math books on Boolean Algebra, Mechanical Vibrations and so forth.

Yes, I have not looked at these books for five years except the math books. Don't really NEED any of them, but they were my life. When I pass they will simply be thrown away. Maybe I should do it now.

Any experience with this down-sizing would be appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/29/2015 5:18 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

I would put them individually on Ebay, the reason is, when it sells
you know that it went to somebody that wanted it. Otherwise it's hard to
find someone that fits the nitch for your book.
At least do a search of some you might think are wanted and see if they
sold on Ebay.
There new service where the do all the work, isn't available for books.
Another option, a university library, one with a good engineering dept.
Mikek

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary fired this volley in
:

Yes, I have not looked at these books for five years except the math
books. Don't really NEED any of them, but they were my life. When I
pass they will simply be thrown away. Maybe I should do it now.

Any experience with this down-sizing would be appreciated.

Ivan, you face the same quandry facing all professionals for whom the
technology has progressed past their prior art.

I am (albeit slowly) also discarding all the trappings of my prior
engineering past, because they ARE now available on the Web. And if that
collapses, and we're left in a "prior time", I'll still be more
knowledgeable than 90% of the new students coming into the disciplines.

To be sure, the old books will still exist in paper libraries. It's not
essential that we keep _everything_ we once relied up. I told my wife
once, that if "the 'cataclysm' happens, my first stop will be to rob the
local college library (which has an engineering school) -- even if it
must be at gunpoint -- and I'm taking a BIG trailer!!!!"

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
. 4.170:

[...]

You might be able to find stuff on DVD if you don't want to depend
solely on the Internet.

None of us lowly civilians can know for sure that the Internet is going
to be here tomorrow.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Some books you can sell online. For example, machinist handbook or
some such.

Most will end up being recycled into coupon mailings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 3:47:35 PM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
[...]

Lloyd, thanks for your words of wisdom.
Ivan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 6:37:19 PM UTC-4, amdx wrote:

I would put them individually on Ebay, the reason is, when it sells
you know that it went to somebody that wanted it. Otherwise it's hard to
find someone that fits the nitch for your book.

When I am looking for a book , I search on ABE ( advance book exchange. )
There are a lot of places that sell technical books. Most of them list them on ABE. Unlike Ebay there is no time element.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 6:18:45 PM UTC-4, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Got a basement full of training, line maint. component locator, wiring manual/schematics for L-1011 Tristar, B-747, B-727, Lockheed Electra, DC-6A/B, and on and on. Nobody even uses most of these old airliners anymore, but fixing them every day was my life. If I could find any tech. school that could use them, that would be a good cause. But haven't had any luck and just can't bring myself to throw them out. But I never considered ebay. Might work, and go to somebody that wanted them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 9:18:39 PM UTC-5, Garrett Fulton wrote:
[...]

I keep reading about people re-purposing old airliners into homes and restaurants. Seems like those people would find those old manuals useful
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 15:18:42 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

I have 6 feet by 20 feet of text books (probably about 2-300), double stacked. 50+ years in the engineering profession.
Primary subjects a Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Bridge design, Hydraulics, Electronics, and heavy on Mathematics.
My heart will not let me throw them away. Gladly give them for free to anybody that could use them.

What have you all done with your library after your career winds down?
Admittedly, the books are old, and all the information therein could be found on the internet today.

Few years ago I took 7 boxes of computer books and gave them to my local used book store. Found out a few weeks later that all were thrown out (many were only 2-3 years old) because people buy novels only. Won't do that again!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I sure love those narrow-minded people.

There was an age when all these books were necessary. How could you get by without "King's Hydraulic Tables"? GE's electronic tube characteristics, transistor data books etc. Math books on Boolean Algebra, Mechanical Vibrations and so forth.

What about Kent's ME Handbook and Mark's Standard Handbook for MEs? I
found 'em for a few bucks apiece online.

Yes, I have not looked at these books for five years except the math books. Don't really NEED any of them, but they were my life. When I pass they will simply be thrown away. Maybe I should do it now.

Any experience with this down-sizing would be appreciated.

Ivan, don't throw them away. Offer them on for sale on Craigslist,
eBay, or Amazon, or give them away on FreeCycle so they find new homes
with good families.

--
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work until it's opened.
--Frank Zappa

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/29/2015 6:18 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Same problem. I have been donating mine to the local library and taking
a tax deduction. They have a book fair a couple of times a year so I
have the hope they go to a good home.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 7:20:12 AM UTC-4, George wrote:

Same problem. I have been donating mine to the local library and taking
a tax deduction. They have a book fair a couple of times a year so I
have the hope they go to a good home.

I help at the local friends of the library book sale ( and get to see what is for sale before the general public ). But the sad thing is that they have no technical books at the sale. They do not believe anyone wants old tech books.

I think it is far better to either sell them your self thru ABE or Alibris. Or look on ABE and Alibris and find a seller who is close to you. They may not give you anything or not very much, but the books will go to someone that wants them.

If you do sell them yourself , let us know so we can consider buying some.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 10:56:45 PM UTC-4, Rex wrote:
[...]

They're just gutting them, though, not trying to keep them flying.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in
:

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 7:20:12 AM UTC-4, George wrote:

Same problem. I have been donating mine to the local library and
taking a tax deduction. They have a book fair a couple of times a
year so I have the hope they go to a good home.

I help at the local friends of the library book sale ( and get to see
what is for sale before the general public ). But the sad thing is
that they have no technical books at the sale. They do not believe
anyone wants old tech books.

I think it is far better to either sell them your self thru ABE or
Alibris. Or look on ABE and Alibris and find a seller who is close to
you. They may not give you anything or not very much, but the books
will go to someone that wants them.

If you do sell them yourself , let us know so we can consider buying
some.

You can also sell books through Amazon. My wife has sold quite a number
of obscure technical books & college texts there. Powells also used to
specialize in technical books.

There are some places you can donate books to that promise they won't
pulp them. Some places ship them to developing countries.

My father was an applied mathematician at Los Alamos, and had a huge
library of technical books. It took years, but we managed to find homes
for most of them through universities.

I am in the process of retiring, but I will be consulting for a while.
I have a large collection of RF & microwave books I just dragged home
from my office, some of which I had to search for used. There's a lot
of "lost art" in the field that isn't included in newer books. Even
some of the "classic" books that are still reprinted have a lot of
errors. I have a marked up copy of one such book that is irreplaceable,
as well as a lengthy errata for another book. That is also info that
isn't on-line anywhere.

I also have 35 years worth of articles ripped out of trade journals,
many of which are no longer around, and thus not on-line either.
There's also a lot of good design & application info that used to be in
the back of vendor catalogs. With all the consolidation in the
industry, most of those companies no longer exist, and the application
info has vanished with them. My plan is to scan these a bit at a time
so they are in a searchable form. I've been asked to give occasional
guest lectures at a local engineering school, and they will be very
handy for preparing class material. At least once it is in digital
form, it will be easier to pass along.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There are valuable books and there are worthless books.

Worthless books include most fiction, self-help, and business
management theory.

However, many technical books are valuable and can be sold. It can be
hard to tell which are valuable and which are not, without extensive
research.

Three years ago, I bought four crates of Hyster forklift service
manuals, at an auction of a failed Hyster dealership, for $50 for all
four crates (plus buyer premium). To date, I sold 290 of them, and got
paid $22,349. I still have 236 of them, at the asking price of
$18,961, and I surmise that most of those will never be sold due to
lack of demand.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 3:58:41 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus20476 wrote:
There are valuable books and there are worthless books.

Worthless books include most fiction, self-help, and business
management theory.

However, many technical books are valuable and can be sold. It can be
hard to tell which are valuable and which are not, without extensive
research.

Three years ago, I bought four crates of Hyster forklift service
manuals, at an auction of a failed Hyster dealership, for $50 for all
four crates (plus buyer premium). To date, I sold 290 of them, and got
paid $22,349. I still have 236 of them, at the asking price of
$18,961, and I surmise that most of those will never be sold due to
lack of demand.

That's 77 dollars apiece for the first batch. Are those service manuals that rare and valuable?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 17:19:34 -0700 (PDT), Garrett Fulton
wrote:

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 3:58:41 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus20476 wrote:
There are valuable books and there are worthless books.

Worthless books include most fiction, self-help, and business
management theory.

However, many technical books are valuable and can be sold. It can be
hard to tell which are valuable and which are not, without extensive
research.

Three years ago, I bought four crates of Hyster forklift service
manuals, at an auction of a failed Hyster dealership, for $50 for all
four crates (plus buyer premium). To date, I sold 290 of them, and got
paid $22,349. I still have 236 of them, at the asking price of
$18,961, and I surmise that most of those will never be sold due to
lack of demand.

That's 77 dollars apiece for the first batch. Are those service manuals that rare and valuable?

On Ebay..they tend to go for $100-150 each.

Wish I could find one for my Baker/Linde forklift.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 18:10:18 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

" wrote in
:

[...]

Look up your book titles on this site before you get rid of them.
Some old books are very valuable.
http://www.bookfinder.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-08-30, Rex wrote:
On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 9:18:39 PM UTC-5, Garrett Fulton wrote:

Got a basement full of training, line maint. component locator,
wiring manual/schematics for L-1011 Tristar, B-747, B-727, Lockheed
Electra, DC-6A/B, and on and on. Nobody even uses most of these old
airliners anymore, but fixing them every day was my life. If I could
find any tech. school that could use them, that would be a good cause.
But haven't had any luck and just can't bring myself to throw them out.
But I never considered ebay. Might work, and go to somebody that wanted
them.

Hmm ... I didn't see the original of this -- just the quoted
part shown here. However, I've been trying to find documentation of the
pinouts in one particular instrument (picked up at a hamfest, and going
into my project of building a flight simulator).

The instrument is a HSI from an A6 based on the tape stuck to it
when I got it -- military at least. And it looks like the one in the
A7-A which I am trying to duplicate. (I was one of those working (as an
"assembler") in building such a simulator decades ago, and two employees
ago. (Now retired. :-)

The model is: Indicator P/O AF/A24J-1
522-2411-003
Mfr: 13499

Trying to trace it out, I find what looks like some pins
connected to synchros, and some to resolvers, but it would help greatly
if I knew what was what, so I could design computer interfaces to drive
it.

I was lucky enough to find the procurement description of the
three-axis ADI which also matches what the A7-A had), so I can talk to
it properly now.

My e-mail needs to be fixed as shown in the .sig below (hope
your news client does not hide it). I can't see your e-mail address
from what was quoted -- even assuming that it is a valid one.

So -- if you have something which documents this instrument, I
would be happy to pay you for it. Everything you mention is commercial
aircraft, but who knows what else you might have. :-)

Thanks much,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-08-31, Garrett Fulton wrote:
On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 3:58:41 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus20476 wrote:
There are valuable books and there are worthless books.

Worthless books include most fiction, self-help, and business
management theory.

However, many technical books are valuable and can be sold. It can be
hard to tell which are valuable and which are not, without extensive
research.

Three years ago, I bought four crates of Hyster forklift service
manuals, at an auction of a failed Hyster dealership, for $50 for all
four crates (plus buyer premium). To date, I sold 290 of them, and got
paid $22,349. I still have 236 of them, at the asking price of
$18,961, and I surmise that most of those will never be sold due to
lack of demand.

That's 77 dollars apiece for the first batch. Are those service manuals that rare and valuable?

They are not rare. I did some research after I bought them, and found
out that they could be bought for $300 each from Hyster.

They are, however, valuable, in the sense that people needing to repair
forklifts, or some people who just buy a new forklift, want to buy a
maintenance/repair manual.

As far as I am concerned, we fix a lot of forklifts and do not use
such manuals all that much. Old forklifts are relatively simple. We
also know a gentleman named Jimmy who is a walking forklift manual.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 11:17:52 PM UTC-4, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2015-08-30, Rex wrote:
[...]

Sorry, sir. I've got nothing military in my literature.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 04:35:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 7:20:12 AM UTC-4, George wrote:

Same problem. I have been donating mine to the local library and taking
a tax deduction. They have a book fair a couple of times a year so I
have the hope they go to a good home.

I help at the local friends of the library book sale ( and get to see what is for sale before the general public ). But the sad thing is that they have no technical books at the sale. They do not believe anyone wants old tech books.

I think it is far better to either sell them your self thru ABE or Alibris. Or look on ABE and Alibris and find a seller who is close to you. They may not give you anything or not very much, but the books will go to someone that wants them.

If you do sell them yourself , let us know so we can consider buying some.

Dan

I spent an afternoon shopping on the bookseller's street (can't
remember the name) in London decades ago. I was hoping for steam,
machining, etc. old British texts. Very disappointing, lots of used
book stores, zero old technical stuff.

Pete Keillor

Books Ed Edelenbos Woodturning 5 October 14th 09 09:30 AM
Bind Your Own Books - Even Hardcover Books [email protected] Woodworking 5 May 8th 06 02:03 PM
Bind Your Own Books - Even Hardcover Books [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 6th 06 03:24 PM
Bind Your Own Books - Even Hardcover Books [email protected] Home Repair 0 May 6th 06 03:14 PM
FS: books barry Metalworking 0 September 3rd 05 10:58 PM