Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default air compressor dog house

Oh, my! I wonder if this is such a good idea. These compressors do tend to
vibrate a bit, you might end up vibrating the entire HOUSE and driving
everybody in your NEIGHBORHOOD crazy! The floor above and walls will act as
sounding boards.

If you want to do this, I might recommend either mounting it to the
foundation wall (better than the ceiling) or making a big "spider" framework
that elevates it where you want it but the weight is supported only by the
floor (presumably concrete). That would keep the vibration out of the
building above.

Maybe what you plan will work, but I know in MY house, it would almost
certainly make the whole house hum.

Jon

Oh, there's a way. i don't see it yet, but it will come to me.

I suppose I could weld it solid to the big I-beem that supports the
whole house :-) Bet that would shake bricks off the chimney.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

[...]

You could try smaller motor pulleys if you don't need the full
recovery speed.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

You could try smaller motor pulleys if you don't need the full
recovery speed.

That would lower the frequency of the vibration. if you just happened to
hit a resonance with the stock speed, this would help, but you might also
lower the frequency to a resonance, and make it much worse. The rated speed
for my 2 Hp Quincy is either 900 or 1000 RPM, depending on the date of the
document. So, the fundamental frequency is 15 or 16.7 Hz. But, since it is
a 2-cyl tandem, most of the vibration is probably due to each cylinder
pushing on the air, so that is likely 30 or 33 Hz. Really BAD frequency for
house-size walls, I think.

Jon