Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dunkin' CEO: $15 minimum wage is 'outrageous'

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 1:34:46 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

Actually, that applies to you. I took the whole post and showed that
your entire premise was a pile of ****. Scotty was wrong by a factor
of 18. You went along.

Now you have a new premise. Tell us about the "numerous" retailers, in
concrete terms, and the net result of the wage increases. Be careful
-- your "facts" will be checked.

--
Ed Huntress

You claim to show what will happen, but I think you are wrong. Increasing the minimum wage is likely to have a trickle up effect. The people who were making $ 15 an hour before the minimum wage will get their wages increased. There current employer will either pay more or they will find another job that does pay more. And so on. So eventually even those on Social Security will get more. It will just cause inflation and that will eventually get $15 an hours as not enough to live on.

You did not consider anything but the cost of labor going up. But a higher Minimum wage will increase all costs eventually.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 13:15:20 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 1:34:46 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

Actually, that applies to you. I took the whole post and showed that
your entire premise was a pile of ****. Scotty was wrong by a factor
of 18. You went along.

Now you have a new premise. Tell us about the "numerous" retailers, in
concrete terms, and the net result of the wage increases. Be careful
-- your "facts" will be checked.

--
Ed Huntress

You claim to show what will happen, but I think you are wrong.

I do NOT claim to know what will happen. I never said any such thing.
I'm pointing out that these two characters don't know what will
happen, but they claim they do.

There are entire commissions trying to figure out what will happen.

Increasing the minimum wage is likely to have a trickle up effect. The people who were making $ 15 an hour before the minimum wage will get their wages increased. There current employer will either pay more or they will find another job that does pay more. And so on. So eventually even those on Social Security will get more. It will just cause inflation and that will eventually get $15 an hours as not enough to live on.

Your guess is noted. It sounds a lot like the guess, 7 years ago, that
we were headed for raging inflation because of the deficit spending.

You did not consider anything but the cost of labor going up. But a higher Minimum wage will increase all costs eventually.

Pure speculation.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 5:07:26 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

I'm not speculating. I make no claims about the net effect. You are.

--
Ed Huntress

Actually you are. There is no way to avoid speculating. Whem you say you make to claims about the net effect , you are speculating that there could be no net effect. Not making a choice is in itself a choice.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 14:21:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 5:07:26 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

I'm not speculating. I make no claims about the net effect. You are.

--
Ed Huntress

Actually you are. There is no way to avoid speculating.

No I'm not. And yes there is a way to avoid it, which is very simple:
Just don't do it.

Whem you say you make to claims about the net effect , you are speculating that there could be no net effect.

Jesus, Dan. I'm not saying there is NO net effect. I'm saying I DON'T
KNOW WHAT IT WOULD BE. And neither do you. Least of all, BMUS or Worst
Post. g

Not making a choice is in itself a choice.

If it's a choice, it's a choice not be be an asshole and *guess* about
something to which I don't know the answer, without acknowledging it's
a guess. And this is an issue with too little evidence to guess.

--
Ed Huntress

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I live in a country that doubled the minimum salary on a national
basis and costs immediately, the next day in some cases, went up. I
asked a owner of a family owned hardware store that I know pretty well
about this - "Hey! Hows come your prices have gone up" - and his
response was that all of his suppliers and the transport companies had
raised their prices so he had to raise his.

So in a what might be called a "micro economics" example, compared to
the U.S., it does seem result in an immediate increase in costs.

I might also add that manual labor use in Thailand may well be much
higher than in more developed countries, which might mean that labor
costs have a larger effect than in other places.
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You claim to show what will happen, but I think you are wrong. Increasing the minimum wage is likely to have a trickle up effect. The people who were making $ 15 an hour before the minimum wage will get their wages increased.

That..seems to be a problem. Even in mega companies..the hard working
money makers are NOT getting their wages increased

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/bu...ared.html?_r=0

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Raising minimum wage to $15 per hour is a very interesting experiment,
whose objective is to bypass or overrule mechanisms of labor price
formation and basic workings of microeconomics.

It is also a very bold experiment, in the sense that the legally
mandated "labor rate override" is quantitatively large compared to the
rates at which job markets cleared previously.

What makes it so interesting is that this experiment is confined to
small locales.

My expectation is that just like the laws of physics, the laws of
economics, competition and pricing will work relentlessly, and
industries with low pay will either close down, or move out of these
cities. The low paid workers would either have to follow those
industries out of those cities, or become unemployed.

It would be interesting to try to keep track of a few statistics. For
example, count the number of jobs that paid under the new minimum
wage. After a couple of years, see how many of those jobs still
remain.

What should happen, is that the rate of economic progress, defined as
people being replaced by computers, will increase somewhat. For
example, the number of people employed in fast food industry, per
million meals sold, will first decline in high minimum wage cities.

In other words, it is crazy to hope that the class of people who
cannot compete with computers now, will benefit from making them even
more expensive to hire.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 9:59:59 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus26006 wrote:

In other words, it is crazy to hope that the class of people who
cannot compete with computers now, will benefit from making them even
more expensive to hire.

+1

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 20:59:57 -0500, Ignoramus26006
wrote:

[...]

Thailand is a relatively low cost country and for years has enjoyed
extensive employment in industries that were built to take advantage
of the low costs here. A couple of years ago the political group then
in power doubled minimum salaries country wide. Minimum salaries had
previously been on a province by province basis relative to living
costs in that province.

Last week there was a tear jerking article in the news about
"industries" in a city in central Thailand being closed. The reason
given was that labor costs had risen to the point where it was no
longer economical to continue and reference was made to industries
moving to Burma and Cambodia where labor costs are substantially
cheaper.

One factory mentioned had laid off 3,000 workers and the article went
into some detail about all the associated businesses that were failing
as a result - food vendors, rooming houses, etc.
--
cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You claim to show what will happen, but I think you are wrong.
Increasing the minimum wage is likely to have a trickle up effect.
The people who were making $ 15 an hour before the minimum wage will
get their wages increased.

That..seems to be a problem. Even in mega companies..the hard working
money makers are NOT getting their wages increased

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/bu...ared.html?_r=0

I know y'all have seen the commercials that Walmart has been running about
how they raised their minimum wage ... what they don't advertise is that at
the same time they cut hours , so the net take-home pay has not changed .
Also , there are now new hires that will be making more after their 90 day
eval than some people that have been there for 2-4 years . And those folks
ain't happy about that ... I sleep next to one .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You claim to show what will happen, but I think you are wrong.
Increasing the minimum wage is likely to have a trickle up effect.
The people who were making $ 15 an hour before the minimum wage will
get their wages increased.

That..seems to be a problem. Even in mega companies..the hard working
money makers are NOT getting their wages increased

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/bu...ared.html?_r=0

I know y'all have seen the commercials that Walmart has been running about
how they raised their minimum wage ... what they don't advertise is that at
the same time they cut hours , so the net take-home pay has not changed .
Also , there are now new hires that will be making more after their 90 day
eval than some people that have been there for 2-4 years . And those folks
ain't happy about that ... I sleep next to one .

Ayup..its gonna be really...."interesting" to see how all this
bull**** turns out.

That ignorant muzzy in the ****ehouse has turned his idological
puppets loose..and things are turning to **** quickly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/3/2015 9:59 PM, Ignoramus26006 wrote:
In other words, it is crazy to hope that the class of people who
cannot compete with computers now, will benefit from making them even
more expensive to hire.

I'm sure that legislation will be proposed to protect people from being
replaced by technology, maybe no-robot zones?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/4/2015 9:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I know y'all have seen the commercials that Walmart has been running about
how they raised their minimum wage ... what they don't advertise is that at
the same time they cut hours , so the net take-home pay has not changed .
Also , there are now new hires that will be making more after their 90 day
eval than some people that have been there for 2-4 years . And those folks
ain't happy about that ... I sleep next to one .

Does your wife know about her?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 8/4/2015 9:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I know y'all have seen the commercials that Walmart has been
running about how they raised their minimum wage ... what they don't
advertise is that at the same time they cut hours , so the net
take-home pay has not changed . Also , there are now new hires that
will be making more after their 90 day eval than some people that
have been there for 2-4 years . And those folks ain't happy about
that ... I sleep next to one .

Does your wife know about her?

No , and if you tell her I'll have to go into hiding ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0iA_rOcn9Y

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 07:48:33 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 8/4/2015 9:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I know y'all have seen the commercials that Walmart has been
running about how they raised their minimum wage ... what they don't
advertise is that at the same time they cut hours , so the net
take-home pay has not changed . Also , there are now new hires that
will be making more after their 90 day eval than some people that
have been there for 2-4 years . And those folks ain't happy about
that ... I sleep next to one .

Does your wife know about her?

No , and if you tell her I'll have to go into hiding ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0iA_rOcn9Y

Excellent band and song.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 8/4/2015 9:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I know y'all have seen the commercials that Walmart has been
running about how they raised their minimum wage ... what they don't
advertise is that at the same time they cut hours , so the net
take-home pay has not changed . Also , there are now new hires that
will be making more after their 90 day eval than some people that
have been there for 2-4 years . And those folks ain't happy about
that ... I sleep next to one .

Does your wife know about her?

No , and if you tell her I'll have to go into hiding ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0iA_rOcn9Y

Excellent band and song.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess

Showing your age proudly!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 8/4/2015 9:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I know y'all have seen the commercials that Walmart has been
running about how they raised their minimum wage ... what they don't
advertise is that at the same time they cut hours , so the net
take-home pay has not changed . Also , there are now new hires that
will be making more after their 90 day eval than some people that
have been there for 2-4 years . And those folks ain't happy about
that ... I sleep next to one .

Does your wife know about her?

No , and if you tell her I'll have to go into hiding ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0iA_rOcn9Y

Excellent band and song.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess

Showing your age proudly!

You bet!

4 Best Bands of all times: The Who, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, and
Black Sabbath.

4 Best S/F Authors: Heinlein, Asimov, Larry Niven, and Andre Norton,
with Louis L'amour in Western novels all by his lonesome, ah reckon.

_Period_. (Oops, showing my strongly opinionated self again, too.