Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Remington model 6 .22 rolling block question

Everybody,
I have an old Remington Model 6 that I will be installing a barrel
liner into just as soon as I finish this message. The extractor face
has a groove with a rounded bottom cut into it that is about .150 wide
and .040 deep. This groove, if it was for venting gas, would vent the
gas directly downward into the action of the rifle. But I cannot
imagine why gas would need to be vented and I can't think of any other
purpose for the groove. Anybody know?
Cheers,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's been a while since I owned one, but IIRC the firing pin angles down and
hits the cartridge at the extractor. Perhaps the groove is to protect the
nose of the firing pin, either from dry firing, or from being dragged across
the extractor when the breech block swings down.

Paul K. Dickman
wrote in message
Everybody,
I have an old Remington Model 6 that I will be installing a barrel
liner into just as soon as I finish this message. The extractor face
has a groove with a rounded bottom cut into it that is about .150 wide
and .040 deep. This groove, if it was for venting gas, would vent the
gas directly downward into the action of the rifle. But I cannot
imagine why gas would need to be vented and I can't think of any other
purpose for the groove. Anybody know?
Cheers,
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 13:59:02 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

It's been a while since I owned one, but IIRC the firing pin angles down and
hits the cartridge at the extractor. Perhaps the groove is to protect the
nose of the firing pin, either from dry firing, or from being dragged across
the extractor when the breech block swings down.

Paul K. Dickman
wrote in message
.. .
Everybody,
I have an old Remington Model 6 that I will be installing a barrel
liner into just as soon as I finish this message. The extractor face
has a groove with a rounded bottom cut into it that is about .150 wide
and .040 deep. This groove, if it was for venting gas, would vent the
gas directly downward into the action of the rifle. But I cannot
imagine why gas would need to be vented and I can't think of any other
purpose for the groove. Anybody know?
Cheers,
Eric

Greetings Paul,
I don't know if that's the reason for the groove, protecting the
firing pin. If the groove is just for that reason I would expect it to
not be so long. Just a small hole would do just as well and be easier
to cut into the extractor. But this groove extends across the face all
the way so I suspect there is another reason for it.
Cheers,
Eric