Old July 30th 15, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal Cutting Bandsaw

I recently picked up a small HF metal cutting bandsaw. Its not great, but
it does what I wanted it to do. Sever pieces of flat aluminum bar stock.
Recently I was making some small molds for a customer and it worked out
great. I cut pieces with the bandsaw, squared them up on the big mill, and
then threw them on the smaller high speed mill. It was quite nice having
all three pieces of equipment working for me at the same time while I was
doing other work on the manual machines in between loading parts. For a few
minutes I felt like a "real" shop owner. LOL.

I know I have not been kind to HF in recent years, and this piece of
equipment has its HF problems, but as long as I don't expect high precision
work out of it it's a useful piece of equipment for me. I'll keep and eye
out for a bigger and better one I can afford now that I have realized how
useful it is. I've used it for freehand carving curves and angles to fit
sheet for enclosures, I've used it for severing steel tube, and of course
its severed a lot of flat aluminum bar stock.

I haven't had it long, so there is not telling how it will hold up, but I am
sure I'll do something stupid and snap the blade at some point. I am
thinking I want to pick up a spare blade for it before that happens. I am
sure I can just shop around for a generic blade the right length, but I was
wondering if there was a "better" blade I could get for it. One that will
tolerate more stupid mistakes, last longer under normal usage, or something
I can't even think of at the moment. The saw is mostly used for severing
aluminum bar with the still quite slow highest pulley speed, but I can see
it having to sever a piece of 1018 or a piece of O-1 from time to time.

This is the cheap little 4x6.

I can easily see my abrasive saw falling into disuse, and my table saw
getting a good wood blade back on it.

Old July 30th 15, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I've seen them at HF and was a bit surprised at how un-terrible they
appeared to be compared to the other power tools.

Old July 30th 15, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Go to Enco , buy the Irwin bimetallic for around 15 bucks plus shipping .
Only drawback is that it's only available in 10/14 pitch . They do have
other blades , my neighbor the blacksmith likes the Morse 18t carbon steel .
I do too for thin stock . There is a yahoo (google?) group for the 4x6 , has
a lot of good info in the archives about how to tune these up .

--
Snag

Old July 30th 15, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 13:29:44 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

I have a similar one- old enough to be made in Taiwan rather than
China.

I got a deal on some Starett bimetal blades - have enough for the next
few years. There are other bimetal ones with good reviews in the
$30-$40 range. eg. (have not tried these)
http://www.amazon.com/Lenox-Diemaste.../dp/B0069WBXWW

A bit noisy, but as someone here said once, it sounds a heck of a lot
better than my arm doing the hacksawing.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old July 30th 15, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

I've been satisfied with mine, a Delta. I use mostly 10-14 Diemaster
II blades for steel, also 6-10 TPI for 6" wide steel and landscaping
timbers and 24 TPI Bosch blades for sheetmetal.
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-BS6412-2.../dp/B0062IBH6A

O-1 doesn't seem to dull it, at the lowest speed. I remove the case on
the lathe before sawing hydraulic cylinder rod.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...Bandsaw-Blade/

To unfold it you open it until it wants to continue and then throw it
hard toward a safe place. It's an impressive outdoor-only
demonstration with the 1.25" x 16' blades for my sawmill, a
do-it-yourself sharknado.

-jsw

Old July 30th 15, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
[...]

I am somewhat familiar with the sudden opening of bandsaw blades. I've got
a little Rigid bench top (on its own stand) that' I've used for wood and
plastic for years. Those blades are bad enough. I can't imagine the force
and reach of uncorking a 16' saw mill blade.

Old July 31st 15, 03:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:32:14 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I recently picked up a small HF metal cutting bandsaw. Its not
great, but it does what I wanted it to do. Sever pieces of flat
aluminum bar stock. Recently I was making some small molds for a
customer and it worked out great. I cut pieces with the bandsaw,
squared them up on the big mill, and then threw them on the smaller
high speed mill. It was quite nice having all three pieces of
equipment working for me at the same time while I was doing other
work on the manual machines in between loading parts. For a few
minutes I felt like a "real" shop owner. LOL.

One of these days, I need to build a 4x6 type base for my portable HF
bandsaur. I'm doing more and more manual metalworking nowadays and
think it would be a handy thing to have around.

I know I have not been kind to HF in recent years, and this piece of
equipment has its HF problems, but as long as I don't expect high
precision work out of it it's a useful piece of equipment for me.
I'll keep and eye out for a bigger and better one I can afford now
that I have realized how useful it is. I've used it for freehand
carving curves and angles to fit sheet for enclosures, I've used it
for severing steel tube, and of course its severed a lot of flat
aluminum bar stock.

I may test mine on RR track one of these days soon, but I haven't even
done a file test on the track yet. Coupla feet of small gauge rail.
Got some Milwaukee bimetal blades for it.

I haven't had it long, so there is not telling how it will hold up,
but I am sure I'll do something stupid and snap the blade at some
point. I am thinking I want to pick up a spare blade for it before
that happens. I am sure I can just shop around for a generic blade
the right length, but I was wondering if there was a "better" blade
I could get for it. One that will tolerate more stupid mistakes,
last longer under normal usage, or something I can't even think of
at the moment. The saw is mostly used for severing aluminum bar
with the still quite slow highest pulley speed, but I can see it
having to sever a piece of 1018 or a piece of O-1 from time to time.

This is the cheap little 4x6.

I can easily see my abrasive saw falling into disuse, and my table
saw getting a good wood blade back on it.

Ayup. They can be darned handy. We cut the 22' piece of 4" square
tubing down to size on one, for my Green Monster. That and lots of
aluminum pieces. Due to its larger size, the aluminum sheet was cut
on the radio alarm saur Glenn has set up for it. The old blade had
lost a carbide tooth and proved bumpy as hell until I showed him the
ragged piece of blade.

They ARE, aren't they? /scarier'n****butfaskinatin' stuff

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess
Old July 31st 15, 03:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you can, add a flood coolant system that cools the teeth, lubs,
and watches the teeth from gripping bits. These bits hammer on the
teeth as it saws and will wear the blade out faster.

Martin

Old July 31st 15, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 9:26:58 PM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:
[...]

Those little 4x6s are the best $200 you can spend in a small shop. I tell beginner hobbyists to buy one right after they buy their first lathe, ideally on the way home with it. Mine is an Enco which is slightly better made.
Old July 31st 15, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 7:17:37 AM UTC-5, Rex wrote:
[...]

Oh yeah - Change the gearbox oil first thing. It usually has metal chips and crap oil in it. Automotive hypoid oil works fine.