Old August 1st 15, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal Cutting Bandsaw

AURGH!!!

I cut some stock this morning, and when I went to square it up on the mill
it kept coming up short. I was freaking out thinking the band saw was
cutting the pieces so crooked I couldn't square them up even though I left
an 1/8 just for that. Then I realize I had the square I was measuring with
set at 8-3/8 instead of 8-5/8. Oops. Sigh. Well I have lots of small
pieces to go in the play stock pile.

Old August 1st 15, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 13:57:43 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

AURGH!!!

I cut some stock this morning, and when I went to square it up on the mill
it kept coming up short. I was freaking out thinking the band saw was
cutting the pieces so crooked I couldn't square them up even though I left
an 1/8 just for that. Then I realize I had the square I was measuring with
set at 8-3/8 instead of 8-5/8. Oops. Sigh. Well I have lots of small
pieces to go in the play stock pile.

VBG

Been there, done that. Usually on a Sunday when the stores are
closed...sigh

Isnt this a FUN! hobby?!!

Gunner
Old August 1st 15, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:mpjbld$eql$1
@dont-email.me:

Then I realize I had the square I was measuring with
set at 8-3/8 instead of 8-5/8. Oops. Sigh. Well I have lots of small
pieces to go in the play stock pile.

G... I use the stock-stop L-arm, measuring the first piece cut before
committing to a larger run.

You'll also get crooked cuts (vertical wander) with a dull band
(sometimes even just a "little dull"), so go with the best bands you can
afford, and don't be bashful about tossing one out when it stops cutting
'square'. They're less expensive than your wasted time.

Lloyd