Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Large anvils

I have a 350-pound anvil I am getting ready to post on Craig's List in Tulsa. It is in good usable condition.

Bill G

On Wednesday, July 17, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi All,

I see posts concerning blacksmithing here, so this should be appropriate.

Any Idea of how much a large ( 350 pound to 500 pound ) blacksmiths anvil should
be worth? And where to get one?

My 135 pounder is too small for some of my projects, but it sure has made itself
worthwhile for lots of things.

Please email me if you have the answers. ( post publically too, for everyone to
learn , but my newsfeed sucks so I may not see it.).

Thanks.

byron

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, July 17, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Hi All,

I see posts concerning blacksmithing here, so this should be appropriate.

Any Idea of how much a large ( 350 pound to 500 pound ) blacksmiths
anvil should be worth?

In good condition, anywhere from $1 a pound up to over $1000. New
European anvils run over US$1,000 for that size.

A 300# anvil should be plenty heavy enough for anything unless you're
doing a lot of work with a striker or two and a 12# or 16# sledge.

And where to get one?

Look around for an ABANA chapter (http://www.abana.org/) in your
area. Most chapters have regular meets with tailgate sales and
individual members may be able to point you to a vendor if you find
and hang out with them.

And watch Kijiji, Craigslist and similar venues like a hawk.

Please email me if you have the answers. ( post publically too, for
everyone to learn , but my newsfeed sucks so I may not see it.).

Sorry, your email address had been munged by the time I saw your post.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/24/2015 12:37 AM, Mike Spencer wrote:

Uh ... that's a 19 year old post that you're replying to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can easily sell good anvils (not cast iron and not ruined) for $3
per lb, they sell like hotcakes. Check ebay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt writes:

On 7/24/2015 12:37 AM, Mike Spencer wrote:

On Wednesday, July 17, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Uh ... that's a 19 year old post that you're replying to.

Duh. Thank you. My excuse is that I was actually replying to a
followup to the OP but didn't cite/quote that followup. But then, I
don't know now when *that* was posted.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12512 writes:

You can easily sell good anvils (not cast iron and not ruined) for $3
per lb, they sell like hotcakes. Check ebay.

Yeah, just so. But it depends on who's selling. The last one I
bought, looks like a Peter Wright (but probably isn't), I got for half
that 3 or 4 years ago.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 7/24/2015 12:37 AM, Mike Spencer wrote:
On Wednesday, July 17, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Uh ... that's a 19 year old post that you're replying to.

Just go for an ESL[1] anvil.

vb

[1] "extended shelf life"

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25 Jul 2015 00:35:39 -0300, Mike Spencer
wrote:

Ignoramus12512 writes:

You can easily sell good anvils (not cast iron and not ruined) for $3
per lb, they sell like hotcakes. Check ebay.

Yeah, just so. But it depends on who's selling. The last one I
bought, looks like a Peter Wright (but probably isn't), I got for half
that 3 or 4 years ago.

I got my Hay Budden for a handshake and an afternoon of chat.

I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus12512 writes:

You can easily sell good anvils (not cast iron and not ruined) for $3
per lb, they sell like hotcakes. Check ebay.

Yeah, just so. But it depends on who's selling. The last one I
bought, looks like a Peter Wright (but probably isn't), I got for half
that 3 or 4 years ago.

I got my Hay Budden for a handshake and an afternoon of chat.

Very Iggylike, sir. Kudos.

I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

That will be a tough one to get in the back of my truck. bseg

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus12512 writes:

You can easily sell good anvils (not cast iron and not ruined) for $3
per lb, they sell like hotcakes. Check ebay.

Yeah, just so. But it depends on who's selling. The last one I
bought, looks like a Peter Wright (but probably isn't), I got for half
that 3 or 4 years ago.

I got my Hay Budden for a handshake and an afternoon of chat.

Very Iggylike, sir. Kudos.

I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

That will be a tough one to get in the back of my truck. bseg

That one will be used as my tombstone. Hopefully somewhere in the 22nd
century.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch writes:

I got my Hay Budden for a handshake and an afternoon of chat.

I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

I got my 305# Peter Wright, my main anvil for decades, from an antique
shop. The guy said, "Well, Mike, it's a dollar a pound and that looks
like a hunnert pounds to me." So I gave hin $100 and went home for
the truck. When we were duck-walking out to the door with it, me on
one end and him on the other, he muttered, "wheezegrunt This
weighs more than a hunnert pounds, don't it?"

But that was about 1978 and anvils are getting more scarce, the dollar
more worthless now.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

Gunner Asch writes:

I got my Hay Budden for a handshake and an afternoon of chat.

I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

I got my 305# Peter Wright, my main anvil for decades, from an
antique
shop. The guy said, "Well, Mike, it's a dollar a pound and that
looks
like a hunnert pounds to me." So I gave hin $100 and went home for
the truck. When we were duck-walking out to the door with it, me on
one end and him on the other, he muttered, "wheezegrunt This
weighs more than a hunnert pounds, don't it?"

But that was about 1978 and anvils are getting more scarce, the
dollar
more worthless now.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

I have a Wilkin(son?) anvil that weighs 0-1-8, and has been entirely
adequate for my uses. What would one of that low weight have been
intended for?

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch writes:

[...]

0 tonne, 1 stone, 8 pence? Whassat?

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch writes:

[...]

You might find this website useful:
www.google.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch writes:

[...]

Small anvils are used for farrier work, general blacksmithing and
whatnot. Each size has a place. A farrier uses and avil up to about
80 lbs, because its all thats needed for making horseshoes and small
items, yet is still easily transported. A maker of heavy iron gates,
industrial fittings and so forth, would need a much bigger one..and be
working from a single location so would have no need for a "portable"
anvil. Then of course there are jewelers anvils, stake anvils etc
etc...

http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/Se...g-an-Anvil.php

http://www.anvilfire.com/anvils/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch writes:

[...]

http://www.anvilfire.com/article.php...Qs/anvil-6.htm

That would be a 9 lb anvil and it typically would be used for jewelry
work, small iron work and similar

I have a jewelers anvil that weighs about 1.5 lbs out in the oddments
in my shop. No idea who made it, or even where it was made. It was
terribly abused and is now sitting on a shelf somewhere out
there..never to be used again for some braindwarf to beat on with a
big hammer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a Wilkin(son?) anvil that weighs 0-1-8,
and has been entirely
adequate for my uses. What would one of that low
weight have been
intended for?

0 tonne, 1 stone, 8 pence? Whassat?

0 hundredweights
1 quarter hundred
8 pounds

So, 33 lbs.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 19:10:32 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

I have a Wilkin(son?) anvil that weighs 0-1-8,
and has been entirely
adequate for my uses. What would one of that low
weight have been
intended for?

0 tonne, 1 stone, 8 pence? Whassat?

0 hundredweights
1 quarter hundred
8 pounds

So, 33 lbs.....

Interesting. I'd never seen a Brit anvil weight before.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

I have a Wilkin(son?) anvil that weighs 0-1-8, and has been entirely
adequate for my uses. What would one of that low weight have been
intended for?

0 cwt + 1/4 cwt + 8 lbs where a cwt is 112 lbs. so 36 lbs.

Any light work or where portability was important. Sears & Roebuck
used to sell a kit of forge, anvil and vise for use on the farm. I
don't recall the details now. The anvil was rather small but maybe
not that small. Occasional shoeing, minor repairs, what a 1890s
farmer could do for himself. Nail making before cut and then wire
nails. Making small tools such as gravers, calipers or chisels.
Various riveting jobs, e.g draught harness repairs. Saw
setting. Anything light where a solid dinking surface was required.

Stake anvils with a longish stake ending in a spike, under 100#, were
made for carrying into the woods. The spike, driven into a stump,
anchored the anvil firmly enough for light forging and on-site repairs.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 17:37:05 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

Gunner Asch writes:

[...]

A "0-1-8 anvil" Google search would net mostly rubbish, I reckon.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

Gunner Asch writes:

[...]

My dad has a 0-0-1 anvil that is absolutely gorgeous. Swiss made
watchmakers/jewelers anvil. Engine turned and beautiful

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-25, Mike Spencer wrote:

Ignoramus12512 writes:

You can easily sell good anvils (not cast iron and not ruined) for $3
per lb, they sell like hotcakes. Check ebay.

Yeah, just so. But it depends on who's selling. The last one I
bought, looks like a Peter Wright (but probably isn't), I got for half
that 3 or 4 years ago.

Good deal! I am a sucker for anvils, always love to buy and sell them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus12512 writes:

You can easily sell good anvils (not cast iron and not ruined) for $3
per lb, they sell like hotcakes. Check ebay.

Yeah, just so. But it depends on who's selling. The last one I
bought, looks like a Peter Wright (but probably isn't), I got for half
that 3 or 4 years ago.

I got my Hay Budden for a handshake and an afternoon of chat.

I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

You have a golden tongue...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus12512 writes:

You can easily sell good anvils (not cast iron and not ruined) for $3
per lb, they sell like hotcakes. Check ebay.

Yeah, just so. But it depends on who's selling. The last one I
bought, looks like a Peter Wright (but probably isn't), I got for half
that 3 or 4 years ago.

I got my Hay Budden for a handshake and an afternoon of chat.

Very Iggylike, sir. Kudos.

I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

That will be a tough one to get in the back of my truck. bseg

That one will be used as my tombstone. Hopefully somewhere in the 22nd
century.

To be stolen next Saturday night

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus12512 writes:

You can easily sell good anvils (not cast iron and not ruined) for $3
per lb, they sell like hotcakes. Check ebay.

Yeah, just so. But it depends on who's selling. The last one I
bought, looks like a Peter Wright (but probably isn't), I got for half
that 3 or 4 years ago.

I got my Hay Budden for a handshake and an afternoon of chat.

I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

You have a golden tongue...

Thats what my wife tells her friends....(VBG)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus12512 writes:

You can easily sell good anvils (not cast iron and not ruined) for $3
per lb, they sell like hotcakes. Check ebay.

Yeah, just so. But it depends on who's selling. The last one I
bought, looks like a Peter Wright (but probably isn't), I got for half
that 3 or 4 years ago.

I got my Hay Budden for a handshake and an afternoon of chat.

Very Iggylike, sir. Kudos.

I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

That will be a tough one to get in the back of my truck. bseg

That one will be used as my tombstone. Hopefully somewhere in the 22nd
century.

To be stolen next Saturday night

It will take a hydra crane and a crew to get her loose and loaded.

Count on it.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus12512 writes:

You can easily sell good anvils (not cast iron and not ruined)
for $3 per lb, they sell like hotcakes. Check ebay.

Yeah, just so. But it depends on who's selling. The last one I
bought, looks like a Peter Wright (but probably isn't), I got for
half that 3 or 4 years ago.

I got my Hay Budden for a handshake and an afternoon of chat.

I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

You have a golden tongue...

Thats what my wife tells her friends....(VBG)

She tells 'em you're a cunning linguist ?

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 14:05:01 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 09:16:52 -0500, Ignoramus22688

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

That will be a tough one to get in the back of my truck. bseg

That one will be used as my tombstone. Hopefully somewhere in the 22nd
century.

To be stolen next Saturday night

It will take a hydra crane and a crew to get her loose and loaded.

Count on it.

Here in Chicago, "economically disadvantaged inner city residents"
steal such things by dragging them behind their cars and pickups, all
the way to scrap yards. I am not kidding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

That will be a tough one to get in the back of my truck. bseg

That one will be used as my tombstone. Hopefully somewhere in the 22nd
century.

To be stolen next Saturday night

It will take a hydra crane and a crew to get her loose and loaded.

Count on it.

Here in Chicago, "economically disadvantaged inner city residents"
steal such things by dragging them behind their cars and pickups, all
the way to scrap yards. I am not kidding.

Only if they can't find an ATM to drag home.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 16:10:21 -0500, Ignoramus22688

On 2015-07-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

That will be a tough one to get in the back of my truck. bseg

That one will be used as my tombstone. Hopefully somewhere in the 22nd
century.

To be stolen next Saturday night

It will take a hydra crane and a crew to get her loose and loaded.

Count on it.

Here in Chicago, "economically disadvantaged inner city residents"
steal such things by dragging them behind their cars and pickups, all
the way to scrap yards. I am not kidding.

Ayup..they do the same thing here in the Central Valley. Aluminum
irrigation pipe too... thousands of miles of it. Its been going on
since the 70s. Mercury used to be commonly found in oilfield
gauges..often times quarts of it. Fortunately the Mercury Wars ended
when solid state gauges and devices got rid of the wide spread use of
Mercury.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,2750889&hl=en

https://www.fresnosheriff.org/public...42/Page81.aspx

etc etc

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
I think its about 350lbs...35" heal to tip

That will be a tough one to get in the back of my truck. bseg

That one will be used as my tombstone. Hopefully somewhere in the 22nd
century.

To be stolen next Saturday night

It will take a hydra crane and a crew to get her loose and loaded.

Count on it.

Here in Chicago, "economically disadvantaged inner city residents"
steal such things by dragging them behind their cars and pickups, all
the way to scrap yards. I am not kidding.

Only if they can't find an ATM to drag home.

Best Regards
Tom.

Did an investigaton of a couple young tweakers backing their pickup to
through the front of a remote store, wrapping chain around the safe in
the office..and driving off to their crib. Following them was easy as
can be and they were still beating, bashing and sawing on that safe
(contents $43 IRRC) when we walked in the door and looked over at each
other and laughed. They were ....non plussed. And shortely there
after..in cuffs and on their way to Fresno. They both got 5 yrs for
being stupid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Another Deputy Pinocchio story...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ayup..they do the same thing here in the Central Valley. Aluminum
irrigation pipe too... thousands of miles of it. Its been going on
since the 70s. Mercury used to be commonly found in oilfield
gauges..often times quarts of it.

I have some good amount of that ****.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 18:37:59 -0500, Ignoramus22688

On 2015-07-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ayup..they do the same thing here in the Central Valley. Aluminum
irrigation pipe too... thousands of miles of it. Its been going on
since the 70s. Mercury used to be commonly found in oilfield
gauges..often times quarts of it.

I have some good amount of that ****.

Save a couple of ounces. If you ever acquire a target pistol with a
muzzle brake, you'll need it to get the lead out of the brake from
time to time.

I have four ounces left, which will last a lifetime of shooting.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ayup..they do the same thing here in the Central Valley. Aluminum
irrigation pipe too... thousands of miles of it. Its been going on
since the 70s. Mercury used to be commonly found in oilfield
gauges..often times quarts of it.

I have some good amount of that ****.

Looks like scrap mercury is going for about $2500 a ton

http://www.recycleinme.com/scrapreso...bc at=Mercury

I have a pound or so of it, I use it to clean lead from firearm
bores if I get one thats badly leaded up.

I could use another couple pounds if you want to sell some. Shipping
by Usps is legal in 1 lb lots.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
news
I have four ounces left, which will last a lifetime of shooting.

Got about a pound, for essentially the same reason. I also have a glass
distilling column for purifying it. 'Simple to do, and the loss per pass
is miniscule.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ayup..they do the same thing here in the Central Valley. Aluminum
irrigation pipe too... thousands of miles of it. Its been going on
since the 70s. Mercury used to be commonly found in oilfield
gauges..often times quarts of it.

I have some good amount of that ****.

Looks like scrap mercury is going for about $2500 a ton

http://www.recycleinme.com/scrapreso...bc at=Mercury

I have a pound or so of it, I use it to clean lead from firearm
bores if I get one thats badly leaded up.

I could use another couple pounds if you want to sell some. Shipping
by Usps is legal in 1 lb lots.

Looks like you jackholes missed a great opportunity to buy 64 pounds of
the stuff at a good price about three years ago:
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story...chased-by-mpca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22688 writes:

Here in Chicago, "economically disadvantaged inner city residents"
steal such things by dragging them behind their cars and pickups, all
the way to scrap yards. I am not kidding.

At the ABABA conference in 1990 I talked to a couple of guys who were
squatting somewhere on the Lower East Side of Manhattan and doing
blacksmithing in a vacant lot. They lugged everything inside when they
stopped work except their anvil. That they had welded firmly to a big
chunk of steel and the chunk was welded to a partially buried I beam.
They'd been working for months and nobody had managed to steal the
anvil.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Rail Anvils spaco Metalworking 23 January 3rd 11 05:35 AM
Anvils for sale Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 1 July 10th 10 04:48 PM
CL listing: Anvils in Northern California Jon Anderson Metalworking 10 June 22nd 10 12:35 AM
How to craft 300 anvils ??? Todd Airsushi Metalworking 14 December 29th 05 12:01 AM
Anvils for sale, Sacramento, Ca. Jim Stewart Metalworking 0 February 14th 05 04:35 AM