Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Strange thread

Volker Borchert wrote:
In the replacement steering knuckle for an IHC 453 there are two
threaded holes whose thread I can't make out: inner diameter about
10.25 mm and a pitch of 13 TPI [1].

WTF is this? It's obviously neither M12(x1,75) nor UNC1/2x13...
Is there an UNC15/32x13? Or even a cross-over 12mmx13TPI?

Any hints appreciated [2].

Volker

[1] I screwed in a 11mm square wood rod to get that accurately.
[2] Yes, I'll contact the vendor. But, I prefer not to appear totally
ignorant on the phone ;-)

It's a metric thread. That tractor came out of the Neuss factory in Germany.

I think it's M12X2

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Volker Borchert wrote:

In the replacement steering knuckle for an IHC 453 there are two
threaded holes whose thread I can't make out: inner diameter about
10.25 mm and a pitch of 13 TPI [1].

It's a metric thread. That tractor came out of the Neuss factory in Germany.

That didn't keep them from using UNC. E.g. the bolt that clamps
the steering lever onto the steering knuckle is definitely UNC
1/2" x 13. (Whereas the steering link clamp bolts are M8x1 and
the steering knuckle top is M27x1.5.)

I think it's M12X2

My wooden rod and thread gauge think it isn't. At least not "x2".
It's definitely 13 TPI.

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 04:57:03 +0000, Volker Borchert wrote:

Steve W. wrote:
Volker Borchert wrote:

In the replacement steering knuckle for an IHC 453 there are two
threaded holes whose thread I can't make out: inner diameter about
10.25 mm and a pitch of 13 TPI [1].

It's a metric thread. That tractor came out of the Neuss factory in
Germany.

That didn't keep them from using UNC. E.g. the bolt that clamps the
steering lever onto the steering knuckle is definitely UNC 1/2" x 13.
(Whereas the steering link clamp bolts are M8x1 and the steering knuckle
top is M27x1.5.)

I think it's M12X2

My wooden rod and thread gauge think it isn't. At least not "x2".
It's definitely 13 TPI.

2mm and 13TPI is only 2.4% different. What sort of wood are you using
that's got the right properties to register threads to that accuracy?

Why don't you just call the parts house, tell them the hole you need to
fill, and ask for the correct fastener?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Volker Borchert" wrote in message
Steve W. wrote:
Volker Borchert wrote:

In the replacement steering knuckle for an IHC 453 there are two
threaded holes whose thread I can't make out: inner diameter
about
10.25 mm and a pitch of 13 TPI [1].

It's a metric thread. That tractor came out of the Neuss factory in
Germany.

That didn't keep them from using UNC. E.g. the bolt that clamps
the steering lever onto the steering knuckle is definitely UNC
1/2" x 13. (Whereas the steering link clamp bolts are M8x1 and
the steering knuckle top is M27x1.5.)

I think it's M12X2

My wooden rod and thread gauge think it isn't. At least not "x2".
It's definitely 13 TPI.

I take impressions of recesses by jamming them full of Fimo clay and
heating them to harden it.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/16/2015 6:25 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I take impressions of recesses by jamming them full of Fimo clay and
heating them to harden it.

How do you heat it? They say in an oven for 30 minutes at 130 °C
(265°F). I'm too impatient for that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 7/16/2015 6:25 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I take impressions of recesses by jamming them full of Fimo clay
and
heating them to harden it.

How do you heat it? They say in an oven for 30 minutes at 130 °C
(265°F). I'm too impatient for that.

With a propane torch, until the exposed surface is too firm to stick a
wire into.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Volker Borchert wrote:
[...]

I thought that little difference would be difficult to discern but I've
just been measuring the nose thread on a hydraulic ram with thread
gauges and it is 2mm, 13TPI was the closest inch pitch but the
difference in fit was easy to discern. The 2mm pitch gauge was spot on
and the 13TPI didn't quite fit right, whether the wood plug approach
would give the same sort of result in clearly differentiating between
the 2 I don't know.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Volker Borchert wrote:
[...]

Try pressing solder against the threads, and see if the pitch of the
indentations matches the gauge.