Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Jenny/Emglo compressor opinions

I was looking for a MADE in USA and not "Assembled in USA" from chinese
parts compressors and came across a company called "Jenny" who was
formerly Emglo. http://www.jennyproductsinc.com/

Any opinions on their stuff or service? The pumps are still cast and made
in the PA, or somewhere around there.

I've not been able to locate any other compressors in the 2 to 5 HP range
that are actually made in the US.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 15:53:46 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

I was looking for a MADE in USA and not "Assembled in USA" from chinese
parts compressors and came across a company called "Jenny" who was
formerly Emglo. http://www.jennyproductsinc.com/

Any opinions on their stuff or service? The pumps are still cast and made
in the PA, or somewhere around there.

I've not been able to locate any other compressors in the 2 to 5 HP range
that are actually made in the US.

I have an Emglo gasoline driven portable compressor that has been an
exceptionaly handy compressor. Has a B&S 5hp motor on it that I need
to replace the seals in the carby..but it worked very well for many
years. Its on my To Do list. $10 at an auction some 10 or so years
ago as I recall. It still works just hunky dorey..but the carby is bad
and runs like crap.

Emglo has a history of being very very good hardware and well thought
of in the industry.

I just did a search and found that they are now labeling portable
electric compressors only in their line as Emglo
http://www.emglo.com/products.html

I was not aware that they had name changed to Jenny. Noted and
thanks!

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

I have an Emglo gasoline driven portable compressor that has been an
exceptionaly handy compressor. Has a B&S 5hp motor on it that I
need
to replace the seals in the carby..but it worked very well for many
years. Its on my To Do list. $10 at an auction some 10 or so years
ago as I recall. It still works just hunky dorey..but the carby is
bad
and runs like crap. ....

Gunner

Funny, I've had to replace several old float bowl gaskets in the last
few years. I wonder if it's something about the gas.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't know, Jim. I have an electic Emglo (two sausage-tank variety) that
I've had for over 15 years. It gets pretty light duty, but still works for
its living. Nothin' ever replaced except the intake filter and oil/filter.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 4.170...
I don't know, Jim. I have an electic Emglo (two sausage-tank
variety) that
I've had for over 15 years. It gets pretty light duty, but still
works for
its living. Nothin' ever replaced except the intake filter and
oil/filter.

Lloyd

How is this related to carburetors?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 19:31:23 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

I have an Emglo gasoline driven portable compressor that has been an
exceptionaly handy compressor. Has a B&S 5hp motor on it that I
need
to replace the seals in the carby..but it worked very well for many
years. Its on my To Do list. $10 at an auction some 10 or so years
ago as I recall. It still works just hunky dorey..but the carby is
bad
and runs like crap. ....

Gunner

Funny, I've had to replace several old float bowl gaskets in the last
few years. I wonder if it's something about the gas.

-jsw

Chuckle..that pesky booze in the gas is hard on gaskets

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

I have an Emglo gasoline driven portable compressor that has been an
exceptionaly handy compressor. Has a B&S 5hp motor on it that I
need
to replace the seals in the carby..but it worked very well for many
years. Its on my To Do list. $10 at an auction some 10 or so years
ago as I recall. It still works just hunky dorey..but the carby is
bad
and runs like crap. ....

Gunner

Funny, I've had to replace several old float bowl gaskets in the last
few years. I wonder if it's something about the gas.

That, or letting the gaskets dry out between uses/old drying gas
varnishing up...

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..

I have an Emglo gasoline driven portable compressor that has been
an
exceptionaly handy compressor. Has a B&S 5hp motor on it that I
need
to replace the seals in the carby..but it worked very well for
many
years. Its on my To Do list. $10 at an auction some 10 or so
years
ago as I recall. It still works just hunky dorey..but the carby is
bad
and runs like crap. ....

Gunner

Funny, I've had to replace several old float bowl gaskets in the
last
few years. I wonder if it's something about the gas.

That, or letting the gaskets dry out between uses/old drying gas
varnishing up...

Which is the problem, storing dry or letting the gas deteriorate?

Or both?

The bowl gaskets crumbled when I removed the bowl to clean and dry it
before putting the engine away.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with gas going bad,
in CA, AZ, or OR. I usually start things up every year, so fresh gas
is going in once annually, and I store it outside in a semi-open shed.
It's all ethanol-douched now, too. (hate the stuff)

Things I've bought from garage sales usually had problems from being
stored for ten years or so with gas (or gas/oil blend) in them. But
because I always rebuilt the carbs on auto engines which had been
sitting more than a year, I never had too many problems.

I think I've seen more problems on yard implements from being stored
too long with gas/oil in them. I've seen gasket leaks on dry-stored
motors, but they usually -run- on the first fillup without problems.

Or both?

Yeah, probably C- both of the above.

The bowl gaskets crumbled when I removed the bowl to clean and dry it
before putting the engine away.

I sure like the nitrile o-ring bowl gaskets on some MC carbs.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ethanol eats neoprene - I won't use any gas containing ethanol in
anything but my car and that is on lease.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The problems I've noticed are oxidation (turning rancid) which I can
smell and gelling which a filter screen funnel removes, or I blow out
the infected carb with air. Turning yellower is a common indication of
deterioration in a wide range of organic compounds.

I believe without proof that it keeps well in nearly full sealed
containers that exclude oxygen and moisture, which means 1 and 2.5
gallon cans for small engine gas so they don't stay partly empty for
long, but I don't use enough to really test my theory.

When I need one carb part I buy two, and label the spare.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Good idea. I wish I'd had a spare Ford carb kit in the Ranch Wagon
after rebuilding one on the side of the road in the Mojave Desert
once.

I left my old stash of intermixed hardware (nuts, screws, bolts,
washers, rusty nails) in the garage at the old house, on purpose, and
I seldom miss it.

Now, when I need something like a dozen nuts, I'll buy the box of 100.
It's usually cheaper and it's a proven size that I needed. All new,
all sorted, all usable, no time delays to fish out of a dirty tub.

Zoro Tools on eBay is a good source of cheap bulk fasteners. So is
Sasco Fasteners in Medford, OR, 27 miles away. A local Ace hdw store
wanted $32 for 26 M5x16 SHCS, Sasco gave me a box of 100 for $5.13.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Octane boosting volatile gasses leach out of the gas
and it 'goes flat'. Looses octane. There are gas additives
that help boost these.

With the advent of the OH crap in the gasoline, water is a key
element that gets into the gas. The Alcohol is hygroscopic and
absorbs moisture and waters down the gas.

Martin

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 22:17:28 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

The Octane boosting volatile gasses leach out of the gas
and it 'goes flat'. Looses octane. There are gas additives
that help boost these.

With the advent of the OH crap in the gasoline, water is a key
element that gets into the gas. The Alcohol is hygroscopic and
absorbs moisture and waters down the gas.

Like I said, I can't remember ever having a problem with that here on
the Left Coast in the past 40 years, and I keep some cans of gas for 2
years (gas/oil for the weedeater).

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The Octane boosting volatile gasses leach out of the gas
and it 'goes flat'. Looses octane. There are gas additives
that help boost these.

With the advent of the OH crap in the gasoline, water is a key
element that gets into the gas. The Alcohol is hygroscopic and
absorbs moisture and waters down the gas.

Like I said, I can't remember ever having a problem with that here on
the Left Coast in the past 40 years, and I keep some cans of gas for 2
years (gas/oil for the weedeater).

I have indeed had water/gasoline issues.