Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Unusual gifts

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 17:48:01 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 15:00:26 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 12:53:03 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 23:20:46 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 21:53:54 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 17:57:30 -0500, Ignoramus23199
wrote:

I am wondering if anyone else ever received unusual gifts.

For example, today, a company unexpectedly gifted me sixteen brand
name pallet jacks in great condition.

Cool!

I was given a "dead" golf cart. It took almost $6 to fix it and I
sold it for $950, then gave the gifter a Benji for the trouble.
A 1-foot battery cable was the culprit, preventing the charger from
working, too. I had started to clean the battery terminals when I
found it, and couldn't stop chuckling.

Like many of us here, I'm a scrounge^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hcollector of odd and
sundry fascinating items. and people give lots of broken (or working
surplus) items to me. Most are quickly repairable, like mowers,
vacuums, toaster ovens, and drill motors.

Great minds think alike!!!

And there is no shame in being a scrounger. In fact..Id rate you up
at Master Scounger/ 31st Class. Your bucket of stuff is waiting for
your return visit btw.

What? 31st class? I'm offended.

So..the highest rating is 32nd...a rank that I have been honored to
have been awarded. Keep working at it... and you will make it over
the top.

OK, that's better. I thought I was that far down the scale from #1.
You're forgiven.

Catruckman hasn't come by so far, so... I need to have you box that
up and send it. Maybe to my sister's house, half the distance, so I
can afford it. It's too costly to drive down again soon. I'll be
saving up for that for maybe next year, though. (saving my quarters)
I damned well want to get out to the long range with you, mon. (Hmm,
have to save some quarters for ammo, too.)

Ill see what I can do.

Anything I gave you turn out to be handy/helpful?

Yeah, I soaked the XL set of linesman's pliers and put them into use
on some fencing. And I used some of the soldering accessories, wick,
and such. Um, I've used 3 of the files and one of the rasps. Two of
the 3# hammers are my new friends. They have longer handles than the
little drilling hammers I've been using. One is a good cement
breaker. I've needed things out of the missing bucket 4 or 5 times so
far. (Ohio brushes, welding rod, silver solder, welding sleeves)
sigh

Did I give you any sledge hammers? If not..Ill lay one or two aside
for you.

Let's see, once I have time, I'll:

1) refurb the table saw on its own little rolling bench under the
Green Monster (which is my first and main goal once I semi-retire.)

Ah! Thats where it went. Cool!

2) take the spare Briggs V-twin down to Glenn's so we can fab up a
drive mount for the engine so it can power the Scott gen/welder. I
also want to mount up a water pump to it, so these will be quick
change mounts.

3) find a spline chisel to fit the jack hammer you sent home with me.

There wasnt chisels in the box? I thought there were several. Let me
know what that spine was and Ill see what I can find. OD, number of
splines etc.

Boy, howdy. I just opened the box and there wasn't a jack hammer in
it. There was a set of OA torch regs, lines (short/old), a 0 tip, and
a cutting torch in there. Surprise, surprise!

Yes and? That was one of my GOOD (IRRC) sets, and I did tell you you
MIGHT need to buy a hose on Ebay. But they are very inexpensive.

I take it you have yet to open all the boxes.....

My first SS check arrives in October, so I won't have to beat myself
up working as many hours each week to survive from then on.

Must be nice. Ive been doing somewhat better the last couple
months..but far from "good" or "great"

I can make up to $1,310/mo continuing to work, but I'll collect my
previously sequestered funds in the interim. Y'know, before they are
shut off so CONgress can steal the funds for their own salaries?
Something to consider for yourself. If you make too much money in a
given month, they just withhold that month's SS check. I'm going to
cut things back so I don't continue to ache horribly all the time.

I'm gettin' on up into the Metal Years. I have gold in my teeth,
silver in my hair, and lead in my ass.

Im only 61 1/2. I dont think I can even sign up yet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 18:00:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 07:11:20 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 04:18:40 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Rudy Canoza wrote:

-snip-
Dont may any attention to Rudy....frankly..he is about as smart as
pond scum on a sunny day.

Y'know, you guys don't have to respond to these trolls. Those of us
who have them in our twit filters would _thank_you_ if you didn't
bring them back to us by replying.

Larry..those idjits are in my kill file. Others here bring em in and
force me to play with them.

Except for our badly mentally ill nym changer. He is unique. And
probably a eunich.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

62, but you'll get more if you can wait till you're 65.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation

Gunner

Even more, Gunnah, if you can wait another year-and-a-half.

But beware. Check out what you'll get at _any_ age, vs interest rates and
how long you expect to live (your call). You might actually end up with
more money (total, not monthly) if you start taking it as soon as you
qualify.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 21:44:44 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation

Gunner

Even more, Gunnah, if you can wait another year-and-a-half.

But beware. Check out what you'll get at _any_ age, vs interest rates and
how long you expect to live (your call). You might actually end up with
more money (total, not monthly) if you start taking it as soon as you
qualify.

Lloyd

Depends how long you can manage to live.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 21:44:44 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation

Gunner

Even more, Gunnah, if you can wait another year-and-a-half.

But beware. Check out what you'll get at _any_ age, vs interest rates and
how long you expect to live (your call). You might actually end up with
more money (total, not monthly) if you start taking it as soon as you
qualify.

Lloyd

Dad is 84, a year or so ago he married a 47 yr old lady. He is doing
well and just started up another business.
His dad died at the age of 85, falling down the ice covered back steps
after his regular Wed night visit to a house of "ill repute"

I figure Ive got at least that long..another 25 yrs at the very least

Another year and a half? At what age? You lost me.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 20:54:57 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 21:44:44 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
m:

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation

Gunner

Even more, Gunnah, if you can wait another year-and-a-half.

But beware. Check out what you'll get at _any_ age, vs interest rates and
how long you expect to live (your call). You might actually end up with
more money (total, not monthly) if you start taking it as soon as you
qualify.

Lloyd

Dad is 84, a year or so ago he married a 47 yr old lady. He is doing
well and just started up another business.
His dad died at the age of 85, falling down the ice covered back steps
after his regular Wed night visit to a house of "ill repute"

I figure Ive got at least that long..another 25 yrs at the very least

Another year and a half? At what age? You lost me.

Gunner

My pappy

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...43605485904418
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...55705320630338

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Boy, howdy. I just opened the box and there wasn't a jack hammer in
it. There was a set of OA torch regs, lines (short/old), a 0 tip, and
a cutting torch in there. Surprise, surprise!

Yes and? That was one of my GOOD (IRRC) sets, and I did tell you you
MIGHT need to buy a hose on Ebay. But they are very inexpensive.

One gauge said A OK

I take it you have yet to open all the boxes.....

Only that one box, and only because I knew (?) what was in it. Where'd
the jack hammer go? I was so out of it that day, I was barely
standing. I'm glad my sister let me crash on her couch that night. I
was too sick to drive all the way home. Must have been 1917 flu bug.
DAMN, that hurt. My MD gave me double doses of amoxycillin to fight
off both sinus infections, too. I felt worse the day after I ended
the first course and immediately started the second. 3 days later, I
started feeling human again.

My first SS check arrives in October, so I won't have to beat myself
up working as many hours each week to survive from then on.

Must be nice. Ive been doing somewhat better the last couple
months..but far from "good" or "great"

I can make up to $1,310/mo continuing to work, but I'll collect my
previously sequestered funds in the interim. Y'know, before they are
shut off so CONgress can steal the funds for their own salaries?
Something to consider for yourself. If you make too much money in a
given month, they just withhold that month's SS check. I'm going to
cut things back so I don't continue to ache horribly all the time.

I'm gettin' on up into the Metal Years. I have gold in my teeth,
silver in my hair, and lead in my ass.

Im only 61 1/2. I dont think I can even sign up yet.

Sign up 3 months before your 62nd birthday. Quick and easy online.
I'm still stunned that they didn't want to see any ID whatsoever, at
least yet. I could have waited until my 66th birthday to get $251
more a month, but it's too hard making this particular living, I'm
finding lately. I'm not sure SS will be around by then, either.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 21:44:44 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation

Gunner

Even more, Gunnah, if you can wait another year-and-a-half.

Yeah, 8% more per year to age 66.
Gunner and I don't qualify for full retirement until age 66.
A buddy of mine is 2 years younger and doesn't qualify until 67.

SS is 25% less at the earliest, age 62. The little I'll receive will
cover all my bills plus a little to splurge on metal, since I own my
house and vehicle outright. Forget the weekends in Bali, though.

But beware. Check out what you'll get at _any_ age, vs interest rates and
how long you expect to live (your call). You might actually end up with
more money (total, not monthly) if you start taking it as soon as you
qualify.

Exactly, and with fluctuating income, a regular income is much safer
during the slow months. DAMHIKT.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Rudy Canoza wrote:

-snip-
Dont may any attention to Rudy....frankly..he is about as smart as
pond scum on a sunny day.

Y'know, you guys don't have to respond to these trolls. Those of us
who have them in our twit filters would _thank_you_ if you didn't
bring them back to us by replying.

Larry..those idjits are in my kill file. Others here bring em in and
force me to play with them.

You 97 pound weakling! "Force me." HAH!

Except for our badly mentally ill nym changer. He is unique. And
probably a eunich.

Why give him any more airtime at all, damnit?

Gunner

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/26/2015 5:57 PM, Ignoramus23199 wrote:
I am wondering if anyone else ever received unusual gifts.

For example, today, a company unexpectedly gifted me sixteen brand
name pallet jacks in great condition.

I was given a 12ga Savage 67 pump shotgun that wouldn't eject shells. $5
for a used ejector from a gun show and it worked fine. I offered it back
to the former owner but he wasn't interested. Sold it for $150.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Rudy Canoza wrote:

-snip-
Dont may any attention to Rudy....frankly..he is about as smart as
pond scum on a sunny day.

Y'know, you guys don't have to respond to these trolls. Those of us
who have them in our twit filters would _thank_you_ if you didn't
bring them back to us by replying.

Larry..those idjits are in my kill file. Others here bring em in and
force me to play with them.

You're the twit being played, gummy-bitch.

No "cull." No "list." No "those who keep the list." No "guys on
motorcycles in the middle of the night." No "wiped down payphone." No
"264mph motorcycle ride." No "8-10' rattlesnakes." All bull****.

You squat to ****, gummy-bitch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

****ing dole scrounger.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

62, but you'll get more if you can wait till you're 65.

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation

Gunner

Actually, you get more until you're 70. I retired at 65 because I was
tired of what I was doing and because several of my friends didn't make
it to 70 or 65 or 62.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's great. He hasn't had bypass surgery or a stroke, he has all his
teeth, he doesn't do meth, and he doesn't smoke and drink a couple of
gallons of chortle Mountain Dew every day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 27 Jun 2015 20:54:57 -0700

Another year and a half? At what age? You lost me.

At "retirement" age. IOW, if you are eligible at 65, wait till
you're 66 and six months.
The longer you put it off, the more they'll pay, up to a certain
point (age 72,iirc)
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Boy, howdy. I just opened the box and there wasn't a jack hammer in
it. There was a set of OA torch regs, lines (short/old), a 0 tip, and
a cutting torch in there. Surprise, surprise!

Yes and? That was one of my GOOD (IRRC) sets, and I did tell you you
MIGHT need to buy a hose on Ebay. But they are very inexpensive.

One gauge said A OK

Yes.

I take it you have yet to open all the boxes.....

Only that one box, and only because I knew (?) what was in it. Where'd
the jack hammer go? I was so out of it that day, I was barely
standing. I'm glad my sister let me crash on her couch that night. I
was too sick to drive all the way home. Must have been 1917 flu bug.
DAMN, that hurt. My MD gave me double doses of amoxycillin to fight
off both sinus infections, too. I felt worse the day after I ended
the first course and immediately started the second. 3 days later, I
started feeling human again.

You should have the jackhammer in your gear. Its not here.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Rudy Canoza wrote:
-snip-
Dont may any attention to Rudy....frankly..he is about as smart as
pond scum on a sunny day.

Y'know, you guys don't have to respond to these trolls. Those of us
who have them in our twit filters would _thank_you_ if you didn't
bring them back to us by replying.

Larry..those idjits are in my kill file. Others here bring em in and
force me to play with them.

You 97 pound weakling! "Force me." HAH!

Except for our badly mentally ill nym changer. He is unique. And
probably a eunich.

Why give him any more airtime at all, damnit?

Gunner

Im weak when it comes to bitch slapping lefties. Perhaps addicted to
watching them soil themselves publiclly.

Shrug

I try...but sometimes..I simply have to take one on. Soon..with
luck..it will be "take one out".

(VBG)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Rudy Canoza wrote:

-snip-
Dont may any attention to Rudy....frankly..he is about as smart as
pond scum on a sunny day.

Y'know, you guys don't have to respond to these trolls. Those of us
who have them in our twit filters would _thank_you_ if you didn't
bring them back to us by replying.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass

I'm sorry I gifted his ass any extra airplay. Sorry...

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 01:15:46 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

You should have the jackhammer in your gear. Its not here.

Very strange. It's not in the shop, either.

smacks head Oh, I know. It's in my foldbox, I'm sure. That
tesseract helps me keep extra goodies in my small space here.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Rudy Canoza wrote:
[...]

The Cull be with you, my friend.

Vaya con desecho, mi amigo!

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Another year and a half? At what age? You lost me.

66-1/2 is another 'marker' year for SS benefits.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Im only 61 1/2. I dont think I can even sign up yet.

62, but you'll get more if you can wait till you're 65.

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation

Gunner

I ran the numbers , the increase if you wait doesn't net you any more
unless you live past like 86 yrs old . So I started to draw at 62 .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Air dream: I'd love to build a small electric car or motorcycle for
kicks.

I had my fun with those, building prototypes at Segway. The machine
itself wasn't as big a challenge as monitoring, logging and analyzing
its performance and changing the controller parameters as needed.
That's what set me looking to buy or build my own low cost, high
resolution portable datalogger, first a microcontroller-based one with
a troublesome common ground and then separate optically isolated DVMs.

A compact Campbell Scientific datalogger was hard enough to mount
securely on a motorcycle, a laptop would be quite a challenge. Laptops
are a great solution on machines that carry a passenger, they were the
original control and display terminals for prototypes of this:
http://www.freeflightsystems.com/products/ads-b

At the same time I was adding a hydraulic bucket loader to my garden
tractor. Hydraulics took more machining to implement but were easier
to debug. The pump puts out a constant flow volume per turn so I only
needed to control engine speed and watch pressure and lifting force,
both easy static measurements. I made a knob-adjustable pressure
relief to replace the fixed one on the control valve assembly and run
it as low as will do the job. The valves are open in the center
position and the fluid just circulates freely with only frictional
losses.

The controls for electric wheelchairs would be excellent for a
homebrew vehicle although I wouldn't divert them from the grey market
for non-subsidized repairs.

-jsw

#1.
You're forgiven.

[...]

The benefit steps up by your age in months and gives you a constant
total by age 78 IIRC. Starting early may be better if it will preserve
your high-interest investments.

#1.
You're forgiven.

[...]

"high interest investments"? What might those be?

#1.
You're forgiven.

[...]

Various entities and vital services that many people hate their
dependence on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Rudy Canoza wrote:

-snip-
Dont may any attention to Rudy....frankly..he is about as smart as
pond scum on a sunny day.

Y'know, you guys don't have to respond to these trolls. Those of us
who have them in our twit filters would _thank_you_ if you didn't
bring them back to us by replying.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact
amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass

I'm sorry I gifted

You didn't, because gift is not a verb; it's only a noun.

#1.
You're forgiven.

[...]

Obviously nothing in your case, dole-scrounger.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 28 Jun 2015 06:58:20 -0700

62, but you'll get more if you can wait till you're 65.

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation

Gunner

The benefit steps up by your age in months and gives you a constant
total by age 78 IIRC. Starting early may be better if it will preserve
your high-interest investments.

"high interest investments"? What might those be?

The ones you are highly interested in, yes?

(I think he means those mythical investments which bring above
market returns, such as the ones which CalPers uses to base future
pensions on.)
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 6:57:33 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus23199 wrote:
I am wondering if anyone else ever received unusual gifts.

For example, today, a company unexpectedly gifted me sixteen brand
name pallet jacks in great condition.

An elated customer gave me a brand new pace desoldering system. Price (at the time) was something over $700. Over the years, it's value has been, well, priceless.

Last month, another elated customer gave me a set of cufflinks (now I just need a tux shirt).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 08:52:03 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 6:57:33 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus23199 wrote:
I am wondering if anyone else ever received unusual gifts.

For example, today, a company unexpectedly gifted me sixteen brand
name pallet jacks in great condition.

An elated customer gave me a brand new pace desoldering system. Price (at the time) was something over $700. Over the years, it's value has been, well, priceless.

Last month, another elated customer gave me a set of cufflinks (now I just need a tux shirt).

When Mitutoyo was my advertising client, back when their HQ was in NJ,
I frequently took items home to photograph on my seamless backgrounds
and tabletop setups with a view camera, which I didn't like to take to
their office. Things like a digital mike, a conventional mike, two
digital calipers, a granite surface plate, and a bunch of ceramic gage
blocks. When I tried to return them, they'd say, "Oh no, we can't take
them back. We've already written them off as advertising expense."

Unfortunately, they moved to Aurora, IL before I had to photograph a
DRO. g

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-06-28, Ed Huntress wrote:

When Mitutoyo was my advertising client, back when their HQ was in NJ,
I frequently took items home to photograph on my seamless backgrounds
and tabletop setups with a view camera, which I didn't like to take to
their office. Things like a digital mike, a conventional mike, two
digital calipers, a granite surface plate, and a bunch of ceramic gage
blocks. When I tried to return them, they'd say, "Oh no, we can't take
them back. We've already written them off as advertising expense."

Nice.

Those granite surface plates are very handy.

My 200,000 BTU pool heater is sitting on a 24x36" granite surface
plate right now. Makes a very nice platform.

#1.
You're forgiven.

[...]

Blink blink...blink....ok.....?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 08:14:12 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sun, 28 Jun 2015 06:58:20 -0700

62, but you'll get more if you can wait till you're 65.

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation

Gunner

The benefit steps up by your age in months and gives you a constant
total by age 78 IIRC. Starting early may be better if it will preserve
your high-interest investments.

"high interest investments"? What might those be?

The ones you are highly interested in, yes?

(I think he means those mythical investments which bring above
market returns, such as the ones which CalPers uses to base future
pensions on.)
--
pyotr filipivich

Oh..I dont have any of those. My personal networth is simply what I
own in hardware, my home and $300 in the bank. Investments? Sold
the few I had years ago when I needed money badly.

I once at $150,000 in the bank..seriously. But I was single and had no
medically needly family. That of course..changed

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 11:42:02 -0500, Ignoramus24678

On 2015-06-28, Ed Huntress wrote:

When Mitutoyo was my advertising client, back when their HQ was in NJ,
I frequently took items home to photograph on my seamless backgrounds
and tabletop setups with a view camera, which I didn't like to take to
their office. Things like a digital mike, a conventional mike, two
digital calipers, a granite surface plate, and a bunch of ceramic gage
blocks. When I tried to return them, they'd say, "Oh no, we can't take
them back. We've already written them off as advertising expense."

Nice.

Those granite surface plates are very handy.

My 200,000 BTU pool heater is sitting on a 24x36" granite surface
plate right now. Makes a very nice platform.

Ha-ha! Yes, I'll bet it does. g

--
Ed Huntress

Unfortunately, they moved to Aurora, IL before I had to photograph a
DRO. g

gifts gone - 1 attachment Dan Valleskey Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 January 8th 08 10:38 PM
christmas gifts midomssh Home Repair 0 December 8th 07 08:42 PM
Gag Turning Gifts? George Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 October 4th 07 10:22 PM
gag gifts? TWW Woodturning 7 September 28th 07 02:59 PM
what gifts are you making? mel Woodworking 21 October 19th 04 01:54 AM