Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Edge clips

So, any time I ask about something specific it seems to be unobtainium.

Is there such a think as a stock line of clips for various thicknesses of
material?

I'm looking for something shaped like this (view in fixed-width):

) (
| |
| |
'----'

Ideally the throat of the clip would be 5/16" wide; the depth is quite
negotiable. Even more ideally, there would be a variety of clip sizes
and gauges available. Even more ideally yet, the clips would be
available in stainless steel, or some other metal that can stand salt
water.

Your thoughts appreciated, although "Tim! You're crazy!" won't get you
far -- I'm already aware of that.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 2:35:25 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:

Is there such a think as a stock line of clips for various thicknesses of
material?

Your thoughts appreciated, although "Tim! You're crazy!" won't get you
far -- I'm already aware of that.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I do not know of a source, but I think you should give us an idea of what you are trying to do. I have some stainless banding material and it would be no big deal to cut some lengths and bend to shape. But I doubt if the clamping force would be enough. Regular steel banding material is stiffer. You could probably go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some free used banding
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott prodded the keyboard with:

So, any time I ask about something specific it seems to be
unobtainium.

Is there such a think as a stock line of clips for various
thicknesses of material?

I'm looking for something shaped like this (view in fixed-width):

) (
| |
| |
'----'

Ideally the throat of the clip would be 5/16" wide; the depth is
quite
negotiable. Even more ideally, there would be a variety of clip
sizes
and gauges available. Even more ideally yet, the clips would be
available in stainless steel, or some other metal that can stand
salt water.

Your thoughts appreciated, although "Tim! You're crazy!" won't get
you far -- I'm already aware of that.

I've seen them used on washing machines for joining two thin flat
sheets of metal together. They usually have a dog on them that digs
into the sheet that stops them from coming loose or being removed.
All the ones I've seen have been plain spring steel. There is a
company in Birmingham UK that makes them, I can't remember the name
for the moment... Try "Lee Springs"

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 13:35:22 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

So, any time I ask about something specific it seems to be unobtainium.

Is there such a think as a stock line of clips for various thicknesses of
material?

I'm looking for something shaped like this (view in fixed-width):

) (
| |
| |
'----'

Ideally the throat of the clip would be 5/16" wide; the depth is quite
negotiable. Even more ideally, there would be a variety of clip sizes
and gauges available. Even more ideally yet, the clips would be
available in stainless steel, or some other metal that can stand salt
water.

Your thoughts appreciated, although "Tim! You're crazy!" won't get you
far -- I'm already aware of that.

Hi, Tim:-

You may indeed be crazy, but have you checked out Tinnerman U-Type
fasteners?

Here's a distie catalog, PDF page 537+, for example.

http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/Spaenaur...3_Complete.pdf

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

) ( | | | | '----'

Ideally the throat of the clip would be 5/16" wide; the depth is quite
negotiable. Even more ideally, there would be a variety of clip sizes
and gauges available. Even more ideally yet, the clips would be
available in stainless steel, or some other metal that can stand salt
water.

Your thoughts appreciated, although "Tim! You're crazy!" won't get you
far -- I'm already aware of that.

Hi, Tim:-

You may indeed be crazy, but have you checked out Tinnerman U-Type
fasteners?

Here's a distie catalog, PDF page 537+, for example.

http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/Spaenaur...3_Complete.pdf

If I could get them in stainless I'd be a happy camper.

The instrument needs to work on the sea shore, so I'd rather not use
spring steel for the job.

It should give me some search terms, though.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/26/2015 1:35 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
So, any time I ask about something specific it seems to be unobtainium.

Is there such a think as a stock line of clips for various thicknesses of
material?

I'm looking for something shaped like this (view in fixed-width):

) (
| |
| |
'----'

Ideally the throat of the clip would be 5/16" wide; the depth is quite
negotiable. Even more ideally, there would be a variety of clip sizes
and gauges available. Even more ideally yet, the clips would be
available in stainless steel, or some other metal that can stand salt
water.

Your thoughts appreciated, although "Tim! You're crazy!" won't get you
far -- I'm already aware of that.

Without knowing your use or if it is a clip you need, my first
thought is aluminum channel. Cut it to the length you want for each
clip. It also comes in different widths, so your throat can be what ever
you can find available. Lowes and HD stock some sizes.
Mikek

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 5:16:36 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:

I want to clip two fiberglass panels together, compressing a gasket
that's in between. Then I want to put a rubber edge seal around the
whole shebang.

In theory just the rubber edge seal would do, but I don't want to try to
explain that thinking to an unhappy customer.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

That almost sounds like making thermopane windows.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
So, any time I ask about something specific it seems to be unobtainium.

Is there such a think as a stock line of clips for various thicknesses of
material?

I'm looking for something shaped like this (view in fixed-width):

) (
| |
| |
'----'

Ideally the throat of the clip would be 5/16" wide; the depth is quite
negotiable. Even more ideally, there would be a variety of clip sizes
and gauges available. Even more ideally yet, the clips would be
available in stainless steel, or some other metal that can stand salt
water.

Your thoughts appreciated, although "Tim! You're crazy!" won't get you
far -- I'm already aware of that.

If this will need a finished look, look at some of the push on windlass
trim used on vehicles. Basically U shaped rubber channel with a long
spring clip inside it. Push it onto the edge and it grips and locks in
place.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 6:08:00 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:

Are there clips available for thermopane windows?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Not that I know of. But Thermopane windows do not have any clips on the finished window. They rely on the sealant to hold the pieces together.

You could probably just use c-clamps to hold the pieces of fiberglass together. And apply sealant except right at the c-clamps. And after the sealant hos set up, remove the c-clamps , and apply sealant where the c-clamps were.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
If this will need a finished look, look at some of the push on
windlass trim used on vehicles. Basically U shaped rubber channel
with a long spring clip inside it. Push it onto the edge and it
grips and locks in place.

--
Steve W.

Does it ever! I had quite a time removing the old lower window
(beltline) rubber sealing strips from my truck.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:47:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 6:08:00 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:

Are there clips available for thermopane windows?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Not that I know of. But Thermopane windows do not have any clips on the finished window. They rely on the sealant to hold the pieces together.

You could probably just use c-clamps to hold the pieces of fiberglass together. And apply sealant except right at the c-clamps. And after the sealant hos set up, remove the c-clamps , and apply sealant where the c-clamps were.

Dan

Or just apply the sealant- pop the two peices together, and clamp them
untill the sealant has set.. Or just butter the joint with resin and
microballoons and pop it together. (But I assume the reason for gasket
and clips is to allow future dissassembly??)

Composite aircraft and fiberglass auto bodies are fabricated by this
method all the time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott writes:

Is there such a think as a stock line of clips for various thicknesses of
material?

I'm looking for something shaped like this (view in fixed-width):

) (
| |
| |
'----'

Clips of that general type are used by (picture) framing shops.
They're used to hold a poster, drawing or other art on paper between a
sheet of foamcore board and a sheet of clear plastic.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/26/2015 7:03 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Try here...

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/
'
There is an entire world of clips, clamps and fasteners around
us...most often in automobiles and rolling stock.

Those clips you are looking for are very common

Gunner

Nice resource!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 00:20:50 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 6/26/2015 7:03 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Try here...

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/
'
There is an entire world of clips, clamps and fasteners around
us...most often in automobiles and rolling stock.

Those clips you are looking for are very common

Nice resource!

Extremely fair pricing and shipping. Some places gild their prices
for any kind of body clip. It truly sucks. C&F is great.

Saved for future purchases!

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:47:37 -0700, wrote:

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 6:08:00 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:

Are there clips available for thermopane windows?

--

Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Not that I know of. But Thermopane windows do not have any clips on
the finished window. They rely on the sealant to hold the pieces
together.

You could probably just use c-clamps to hold the pieces of fiberglass
together. And apply sealant except right at the c-clamps. And after
the sealant hos set up, remove the c-clamps , and apply sealant where
the c-clamps were.

I'm trying to come up with a plan B in case we decide that gluing things
together permanently is a bad idea.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 6/26/2015 7:03 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Try here...

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/
'
There is an entire world of clips, clamps and fasteners around
us...most often in automobiles and rolling stock.

Those clips you are looking for are very common

Gunner

Nice resource!

I found them a year or so ago..the plastic spike thingys that hold the
plastic panel of the drivers door to the Chevy Venture busted when I
replaced the power window switch..so I bought 50 of them..$4.65 plus
shipping as I recall. Autozone wanted $3.50 for (3) of them.

Very neat layout and easy to use. Best grouping of such stuff Ive
found online so far. Bookmarked em of course.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 13:35:22 -0500, Tim Wescott wrote:
Is there such a thing as a stock line of clips for various thicknesses of
material?

Ideally the throat of the clip would be 5/16" wide; the depth is quite
negotiable. Even more ideally, there would be a variety of clip sizes
and gauges available. Even more ideally yet, the clips would be
available in stainless steel, or some other metal that can stand salt
water.

Spring-steel paint-can clips are available in several sizes with
various finishes. I haven't seen any in stainless.

http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/can_clips.html
http://www.emptypaintcans.com/canclips.aspx

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 01:02:45 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:47:37 -0700, wrote:

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 6:08:00 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:

Are there clips available for thermopane windows?

--

Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Not that I know of. But Thermopane windows do not have any clips on
the finished window. They rely on the sealant to hold the pieces
together.

You could probably just use c-clamps to hold the pieces of fiberglass
together. And apply sealant except right at the c-clamps. And after
the sealant hos set up, remove the c-clamps , and apply sealant where
the c-clamps were.

I'm trying to come up with a plan B in case we decide that gluing things
together permanently is a bad idea.

Gee, how could permanent glue, duct tape, bubblegum, or baling wire
_ever_ be a bad idea, Tim?

The engineers at SouthCom, Int'l. (ca 1972) solvent-glued lexan
windows into the lexan front panels of their manpack radios. As a QA
inspector, I bounced dozens and my boss OKed only slightly fewer. (I
mean, who needs to see the state of the battery charge or the xmit
power out on the battlefield, anyway? I'm sure the (Paki) soldiers
were perfectly happy with cloudy windows.)

P.S: I personally believe that Crom invented o-rings for a purpose.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 6/26/2015 7:03 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Try here...

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/
'
There is an entire world of clips, clamps and fasteners around
us...most often in automobiles and rolling stock.

Those clips you are looking for are very common

Gunner

Nice resource!

I found them a year or so ago..the plastic spike thingys that hold the
plastic panel of the drivers door to the Chevy Venture busted when I
replaced the power window switch..so I bought 50 of them..$4.65 plus
shipping as I recall. Autozone wanted $3.50 for (3) of them.

I paid $5 at AutoZone for a little package of clips just so I could
get the one for my tailgate actuation rod.

Very neat layout and easy to use. Best grouping of such stuff Ive
found online so far. Bookmarked em of course.

You betcha!

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 16:23:06 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/can_clips.htm

Ill be damned..Ive never seen paint can clips before, nor have I ever
seen them used.

????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/can_clips.htm

Ill be damned..Ive never seen paint can clips before, nor have I ever
seen them used.

????

I could have used a set on the stain can that blew the top off in the
back of my pickup last month.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/can_clips.htm

Ill be damned..Ive never seen paint can clips before, nor have I ever
seen them used.

????

I could have used a set on the stain can that blew the top off in the
back of my pickup last month.

No hammer?

Oh, it was tight when it went in - and about 40F - the sun came out
and the cap of the pickup was about 140F - and the 1/4 full can of oil
based stain was in the cap. The lid was about 3 feet from the can when
I found it. Not too big of a mess, considering.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/can_clips.htm

Ill be damned..Ive never seen paint can clips before, nor have I ever
seen them used.

????
I could have used a set on the stain can that blew the top off in the
back of my pickup last month.

No hammer?

Oh, it was tight when it went in - and about 40F - the sun came out
and the cap of the pickup was about 140F - and the 1/4 full can of oil
based stain was in the cap. The lid was about 3 feet from the can when
I found it. Not too big of a mess, considering.

That's what you get, putting one of those newfangled covers over a
perfectly good bed...

Was it good stain? (Penofin Blue is my absolute fave.)