Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What are these self tapping screws called that form "real" threads?

I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:37:07 +0800, Techman
wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...crew%20(1).JPG

Filister head self tapping screws

Not "sheet metal screws"

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...crew%20(1).JPG

Filister head self tapping screws

Not "sheet metal screws"

Gunner

Thanks but I'm not sure they are what I'm looking for. I googled
"filister head...." and it only seems to point to screws with the common
coarse / sharp self tapping thread. I think the filister bit refers to
the bulging pan head style.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25-Jun-15 3:37 PM, Techman wrote:
I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.

I'm getting closer.

Some seem to be called Taptite,

http://www.shakeproof.com/images/products/taptite/taptite_160px_wide.png

And others "Type 23"

http://www.boltproducts.com/images/thread%20cutting%20-%20type%2023.gif

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Techman fired this volley in
:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Techman, I think you're not 'getting it'.

Even our CONSUMER big-box hardwares carry just what you want. Home Depot
(of all places) carries M4-0.7 self-tapping screws.

What you describe as "coarse-thread self-tappers" are truly "sheet metal
screws".

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:42:25 +0800
Techman wrote:

[...]

This Fastnal document may help:

http://www.fastenal.com/content/docu...renceGuide.pdf

Go to page 59 and look over the "Types of Screw Points". The
"Tri-lobular" point may work for your needs too...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.

Google on "thread cutting screws". Even Amazon sells them :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...crew%20(1).JPG

Filister head self tapping screws

Not "sheet metal screws"

Gunner

Thanks but I'm not sure they are what I'm looking for. I googled
"filister head...." and it only seems to point to screws with the common
coarse / sharp self tapping thread. I think the filister bit refers to
the bulging pan head style.

I was wrong...flipped my mouth off without thinking..sorry

http://thecraftsmanblog.com/wp-conte...-Head-Type.png

https://typhoonicus.files.wordpress....5/01/heads.jpg

"Countersunk" head.

The "Self Taping Screw/bolt" though is correct.

Also known as a "self taping machine screw" Also "Thread Cutting
Screws"

http://www.americanfastener.com/thread-cutting-screws/

For metric.....

http://www.fordfasteners.com/product..._oMaAtPN8P8HAQ

http://www.mrmetric.com/metric-faste...-screw-metals/

http://www.eaglefastener.net/metric-...ic-screws.html

https://www.fastenersclearinghouse.com/fch/main.nsf/fSearch?OpenForm&Start=1&type=R&self-tapping-thread-cutting-screws&size=M2&Cat1=PRM7DED642D2914;&Cat2=FL3961BC E05611;

etc etc etc

Sorry about my "screw up" (Grin)

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 25-Jun-15 3:37 PM, Techman wrote:
I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.

I'm getting closer.

Some seem to be called Taptite,

http://www.shakeproof.com/images/products/taptite/taptite_160px_wide.png

"Thread forming machine screw"

And others "Type 23"

http://www.boltproducts.com/images/thread%20cutting%20-%20type%2023.gif

Thread cutting machine screw..or self tapping machine screw

If it has the "cut" in the tip..its a self tapping or self cutting
fastener.

If it is triangular..its a thread forming screw. The thread forming
screws take a fair amount of pressure to form the threads and are
generally used only in softer materials such as aluminum. Try using
them in steel..and you will be drilling out a fair number of them,
UNLESS you drill a bigger pilot hole before installing them. Though to
be fair....they do give better engagement IF the proper pilot hole has
been drilled...but they are still generally..generally used in softer
materials and will often have a coarser thread pitch as well.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Techman" wrote in message

I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.

Did a search for images of self tapping screws. Scrolled through the images
to find one like yours. The image description called them tread cutting
screws.

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/ca...ampaign=Screws

http://www.grainger.com/category/thr...ecatalog/N-8nc

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep they're the ones. Cheers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25-Jun-15 7:55 PM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Techman fired this volley in
:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Techman, I think you're not 'getting it'.

Even our CONSUMER big-box hardwares carry just what you want. Home Depot
(of all places) carries M4-0.7 self-tapping screws.

What you describe as "coarse-thread self-tappers" are truly "sheet metal
screws".

Lloyd

I'm in Australia, our hardware stores are 20 years behind yours! They
don't carry anything like them - only standard sheet metal screws and
self drilling/tapping roofing sheet bolts.

I've found out today I can get them via RS Components.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Techman wrote:

[...]

Yep - thats them. Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep, looks like holes tapping hole size is important. I guess going on
the large side might help too.

http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/self-tapping-self-drilling-thread-forming-screws/4831252/?origin=PSF_432017|alt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25-Jun-15 8:37 PM, Robert wrote:
"Techman" wrote in message

[...]

cheers Robert, I've found a source.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.

They are called thread forming screws.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.

They are called thread forming screws.

On jobsites, I've just heard them called tappets.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can buy drill/tap combos from MSC. It's a drill with thread cutting about 1/2" up from the bottom. Or maybe they are taps with a drill on the end.

You have to be quick off the drill trigger when the drill breaks through.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 26-Jun-15 6:01 AM, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
You can buy drill/tap combos from MSC. It's a drill with thread cutting about 1/2" up from the bottom. Or maybe they are taps with a drill on the end.

You have to be quick off the drill trigger when the drill breaks through.

Thanks, yeah I've seen those. Unfortunately they would be used by all
the general techs so I think they'd break quite a few of those!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 25-Jun-15 3:37 PM, Techman wrote:
I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.

I'm getting closer.

Some seem to be called Taptite,

http://www.shakeproof.com/images/products/taptite/taptite_160px_wide.png

Yeah, I've seen those and wondered what they were called.

And others "Type 23"
http://www.boltproducts.com/images/thread%20cutting%20-%20type%2023.gif

Yup, that sure looks like the type you wanted. I've been using Type
17 self-tapping deck screws in the recent past.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:16:30 +0800, Techman
wrote:

On 25-Jun-15 7:55 PM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Techman fired this volley in
:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Techman, I think you're not 'getting it'.

Even our CONSUMER big-box hardwares carry just what you want. Home Depot
(of all places) carries M4-0.7 self-tapping screws.

What you describe as "coarse-thread self-tappers" are truly "sheet metal
screws".

Lloyd

I'm in Australia, our hardware stores are 20 years behind yours! They
don't carry anything like them - only standard sheet metal screws and
self drilling/tapping roofing sheet bolts.

Only 20?

I've found out today I can get them via RS Components.

Oh, darn. That means you won't have the joy of jigging up small
screws into a fixture in your vise and cutting the self tapping groove
with a file on each screw.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Dremal type tool and a decent cutoff wheel will work for that, in a
pinch.

Been there, done that more than once.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Aw, darn. You ruined all the drama and horror of manual labor for
him. evil grinne

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 13:06:28 +0800, Techman
wrote:

On 26-Jun-15 6:15 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 13:50:45 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

wrote:

I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.

They are called thread forming screws.

On jobsites, I've just heard them called tappets.

Must be one of those regional things...never heard that term used for
anything other than engines

More likely Tappits. - but PK Tappits are used in sheet metal 0 they
are NOT thread forming screws.

Must be regional, in Oz, Tappits are plastic plugs with a nail in them
that are used for hanging pictures or affixing to brick or concrete walls.

Note - I qualified my statement with the brand - PK Tappits is a
registered trademark.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 25-Jun-15 3:37 PM, Techman wrote:
I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.

I'm getting closer.

Some seem to be called Taptite,

http://www.shakeproof.com/images/products/taptite/taptite_160px_wide.png

Yeah, I've seen those and wondered what they were called.

Those taptites are thread forming scres.

And others "Type 23"
http://www.boltproducts.com/images/thread%20cutting%20-%20type%2023.gif

Those type23 scres are thread cutting screws.

Yup, that sure looks like the type you wanted. I've been using Type
17 self-tapping deck screws in the recent past.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

But they pretty well have to be grade 8 or harder unless you are
using them in anealed aluminum or leaded steel--------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Or thin mild steel. Ive used them to secure cover panels on various
electrical cabinets, none of which were thicker than 1/4"...and
anything over 1/8"...you best be having a really healthy driver to get
em in. Ive driven them with a 1/2" Milwaukee "hole shooter" well
enough..with a good snug properly made phillips bit.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The ones made with the dremel??? Must be pretty decent quality
fasteners you started with - not the cheap Chinese crap so often
passed off as fasteners in big box hardware stores.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I try to avoid buying much Chicom fasteners...though its getting
damned hard to find any quality fasteners these days.
It should be noted though..that the Chicoms are about where the Japs
used to be in fastener making. Not half bad, unless you are buying
second quality.."B" grade stuff.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've had too many where the head separated from the threaded portion
of the screw/bolt, and also quite a few unthreaded bolts in a box.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ouch! Didnt buy those from Fastenal did you? (Grin)

I was fortunate enough to have purchased a BUNCH of 60s-80s vintage
American made fasteners at several estate sales in the past 10 or so
years. Pluse I have a machine tool dealer that wont mess with "small
lots" of fasteners..(anything under 5000 pieces) and I tend to wind up
with a goodly number of them.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02703427344786

Blow the photo up ..all the cabinet draws to the upper left are sorted
fasteners..all the trays underneith are unsorted nuts and bolts...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...03465339215298

The gray and tan punch card cabinets are plumbing fittings and that
sort of thing..a vertible ****load of them....and the cabinets to the
right of them ..the gym cabinets..top 3 shelves are crimp on
electrical fittings..sorted. Many thousands of them in their own boxes

The bottom three cabinets are bulk boxes/trays filled with sheet metal
and dry wall screws. Ive added another cabinet not show here (those
photos are 5-6 yrs old) with things like drawers fulled with hinges,
pop rivets/tools, turnbuckles, cable clamps, nails etc etc. I spent
about 3 full days..14 hours a day..sorting out the many! 5 gallon
buckets of fasteners/Stuff that I had stored in every corner and hidy
hole.

LOL..Larry can verify that Ive got a bunch..bunch of such stuff.

Oh..since Ive been dabbling with sailboats...Ive added
hummm...probably 100 lbs of 316 SS fasteners..from 6-32 - 5/16" bolts
of all types and styles of head. I already had probably 75 lbs of
such...so Ive not had to buy much stainless steel. Running short on
10-32 SS nuts though...and big flat washers. Need to ask around for
a bunch of them.

Based on local ACE Hardware store prices..Im a very rich man in
fasteners alone...lol. They want $0.75 a piece for 10-32x 1" SS
machine screws..and Ive got a few thousand.... (Grin)

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yesterday's client wanted me to use an EasyGate kit. One of the
included screw's head was missing the philips depression altogether.
I guess you're supposed to drive those in like nails, eh?

So that's why they call a hammer an Amercan Screwdriver.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 27-Jun-15 1:20 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 13:06:28 +0800, Techman
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yep, I did.