Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does copper age harden?

Copper tubing to be exact. I have a couple rolled lengths of soft
copper tube. One length is about 20 years old and the other about 4
years old. Both are the soft copper tubing commonly used for
refrigeration or water. It comes with a plastic cap on each end.
Anyway, my old rolled length, which I discovered the other day when
cleaning out some junk, is much stiffer than the new roll. So I am
wondering if the copper got stiffer over time because the older stuff
is quite a bit harder to bend than the newer stuff.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Except for certain alloys it doesn't age harden.
But refer tube has a pretty wide tolerance in wall thickness. Typically
+-10% of the thickness.
My guess is that when copper was cheaper, they erred on the plus side, now
they lean to the minus.

One could as much as 20% thicker than the other.

Paul K. Dickman

wrote in message
Copper tubing to be exact. I have a couple rolled lengths of soft
copper tube. One length is about 20 years old and the other about 4
years old. Both are the soft copper tubing commonly used for
refrigeration or water. It comes with a plastic cap on each end.
Anyway, my old rolled length, which I discovered the other day when
cleaning out some junk, is much stiffer than the new roll. So I am
wondering if the copper got stiffer over time because the older stuff
is quite a bit harder to bend than the newer stuff.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 13:15:47 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

Except for certain alloys it doesn't age harden.
But refer tube has a pretty wide tolerance in wall thickness. Typically
+-10% of the thickness.
My guess is that when copper was cheaper, they erred on the plus side, now
they lean to the minus.

One could as much as 20% thicker than the other.

Paul K. Dickman

wrote in message
.. .
Copper tubing to be exact. I have a couple rolled lengths of soft
copper tube. One length is about 20 years old and the other about 4
years old. Both are the soft copper tubing commonly used for
refrigeration or water. It comes with a plastic cap on each end.
Anyway, my old rolled length, which I discovered the other day when
cleaning out some junk, is much stiffer than the new roll. So I am
wondering if the copper got stiffer over time because the older stuff
is quite a bit harder to bend than the newer stuff.
Eric

Greetings Paul,
I can check that. I just checked, both coils have the same wall
thickness and O.D. I think it must just be different types of copper
tube.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/25/2015 11:45 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 13:00:41 -0500, wrote:

On 06/24/2015 12:27 PM,
wrote:
Copper tubing to be exact. I have a couple rolled lengths of soft
copper tube. One length is about 20 years old and the other about 4
years old. Both are the soft copper tubing commonly used for
refrigeration or water. It comes with a plastic cap on each end.
Anyway, my old rolled length, which I discovered the other day when
cleaning out some junk, is much stiffer than the new roll. So I am
wondering if the copper got stiffer over time because the older stuff
is quite a bit harder to bend than the newer stuff.
Eric

You sure it isn't just K or L over M, maybe? I've no reason to think it
will harden just with age; I've pieces around that are at least 50 or 60
yo that I use chunks off of periodically and never noticed any real
difference.

Maybe that's it, different types. I thought all the coiled copper
tubing for refrigeration was the same. Thanks.
Eric

I think the only difference the HVAC line-specific line is it is
specially cleaned/produced to minimize any oil contaminants. AFAIK wall
thicknesses are K and L (no M, the cheapie box store variant usually
found) but that's still enough between the two to make a noticeable
difference in stiffness. I suppose there could be some difference in an
alloy between manufacturers, too, not sure how much variation there
might be in that regard.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

Except for certain alloys it doesn't age harden.
But refer tube has a pretty wide tolerance in wall thickness.
Typically
+-10% of the thickness.
My guess is that when copper was cheaper, they erred on the plus
side, now
they lean to the minus.

One could as much as 20% thicker than the other.

Paul K. Dickman

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

http://www.g-w.com/pdf/sampchap/9781566379656_ch03.pdf
"Soft copper tubing has a tendency to harden as a
result of vibration, oxidation, and bending. This is
called work-hardening."

-jsw