Old June 23rd 15, 08:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fabing a supply plenum/return plenum and filter box

On 6/23/2015 2:45 PM, stryped wrote:
An online search yielded zero results. Am I understanding it correctly, a tip that attached to a propane torch and the torch heats the tip and the tip is what you solder with?

I couldn't believe you couldn't find it, but I couldn't either. Here is
what they look like:
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/1849/V5KfjS.jpg

I've had one forever, but never use it. Maybe nobody does & that's why
they don't make them anymore.

Bob

Old June 23rd 15, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 14:27:20 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

stryped wrote:
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 11:14:46 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 09:13:41 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 11:04:30 AM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 20:23:23 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 16:56:59 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

How did you solder it and with what? Does soldering not remove
the galvanized coating?
Use a tinners iron - I have an electric one - the original
"tinner's iron" was heated with a blowtorch. Flux the galvanized
and solder it together - the zinc stays on the steel.

DON"T try soldering it with a torch. You WILL burn off the zinc,
and it will rust bedause you will overheat the joint.
I soldered mine with a torch and didn't burn off the zinc. I used
regular lead fee plumbing solder and paste flux. The solder melts
at a much lower than it takes to burn off the zinc. You need to
keep the flame moving. If you let it dwell it can then heat up a
spot enough to damage the zinc. There are available (at least
there used to be) soldering tips for a propane torch that fit over
the torch head and use a screw to hold them in place. One of these
would work very well for soldering galvanized sheet.
Eric

I assume a propane torch?

A soldering tip for a propane torch sounds like a great invention.
I have never heard of one.

I think I still have mine, which I bought 40 years ago. But I find my
450 W iron more convenient to use.

--
Ed Huntress

An online search yielded zero results. Am I understanding it
correctly, a tip that attached to a propane torch and the torch heats
the tip and the tip is what you solder with?

I would love to have a hi watt electric one but they are rather
expensive to buy for just one project....

I'm surprised , they've been around for a long long time . I've had them
in torch kits I've bought , and Dad had at least one when I was growing up
(and I ain't young) . I know this because he used it to solder radiators .
He was a DIY guy , I learned from him ... I'm a DIY guy too .

I just did a quick search and I couldnt find them either. Rather odd
actually.

Ive got probably 5 or so of the copper tips that go on (usually with
a thumbscrew) the end of a propane torch, to solder with. They came
with each torch "kit" (usually in the metal box, right along with a
"fan" tip for paint scraping/large area heating etc etc). Anybody
want one...drop me an email with the OD diameter of your torch tip
and Ill see what I have. I normally use an acetalyne torch
(portable about 18" tall) with the proper hose/regulator/torch for
heavy soldering/heating in the shop..
http://www.sjjewelrysupply.com/image...0MC%20tank.jpg

but still have a dozen or so propane torches (for 1lb bottle) in
various conditions of usable

Gunner
Old June 23rd 15, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Could a person make one somehow by just putting a copper tube over the end of a torch and closing one end into a flat surface???
Old June 23rd 15, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 2:15:03 PM UTC-7, stryped wrote:
My house was built around 1998 and has the original split system with a carrier 3 ton
condenser outside ... I had someone quote a new system.

The installer made a note that under the house, the previous installer rather than attach a return plenum just ran the return line directly off the side of the air handler.

So, I would like to build a filter housing, return air plenum, and maybe build a supply plenum myself 1st. Then maybe decide if I want to tackle replacing the current condenser/air handler.

I've seen HVAC sheet-metal shops bend up these things. Measure carefully, and
get them to do the work: they're fast, efficient, and already know how.
Check some local stores, see which filter sizes are well-stocked, and use
one of those sizes, but you probably already knew that.
Old June 23rd 15, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 2:59:41 PM UTC-7, stryped wrote:

.... There are available (at least
there used to be) soldering tips for a propane torch that fit over
the torch head and use a screw to hold them in place.

Could a person make one somehow by just putting a copper tube over the end of a torch and closing one end into a flat surface???

Unless you want to hold a propane tank, keep it upright, and spew flames near the work, it works
better to use a soldering iron. This kind

https://www.etsy.com/listing/94088624/vintage-soldering-copper-soldering-iron

has the advantage of comfortable handle, works in tight spaces, is cordless...
temperature control is kinda primitive, of course, but I've made small ones
with heavy copper wire for tip and heat reservoir, with coathanger-wire handles.
That, and a butane lighter, and you're ready for soldering!

The key, is the heavy tip which acts as heat reservoir.

Old June 23rd 15, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Do you have a brake to bend this sheet metal?

Old June 24th 15, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
How did you solder it and with what? Does soldering not remove the galvanized coating?

Soldering duckwork seems pointless unless you just like soldering for the
hell of it. You can buy duct in L shaped sections that are pre-crimped and
form nice rectangle or square sections. Screw them together and cover in
the aluminum tape. They also make some sort of putty-like stuff for
sealing ducts that comes in tubs, like drywall joint compound.

Old June 24th 15, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes..if you leave sufficent venting and dont worry much about the
efficency.

Gunner
Old June 24th 15, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have also had one "forever" and haven't used it in at least 35 years. But, if you want a really kick-ass soldering copper, take a look at http://www.oldworlddistributors.com/...ing-torch.html and the other stuff they have on their site.