Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crane operator license

I am thinking about buying an all terrain crane and I am confused
about whether its operator need to be licensed or certified, or both.

OSHA seems to have strict requirements for cranes used in
construction, but I do not do construction. What I do (machine moving
and removal) is called "general industry".

Does anyone here own a crane or have a good idea on this?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://cranes101.com/_illinois.php

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 20:45:32 -0500, Ignoramus11174
wrote:

I am thinking about buying an all terrain crane and I am confused
about whether its operator need to be licensed or certified, or both.

OSHA seems to have strict requirements for cranes used in
construction, but I do not do construction. What I do (machine moving
and removal) is called "general industry".

Does anyone here own a crane or have a good idea on this?

I'd imagine that it falls under both state and muni regs, Ig. Check
with your local erection companies to see who sets their regs, then
contact them directly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=illi...on+regulations might
help, too.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 9:45:34 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus11174 wrote:
I am thinking about buying an all terrain crane and I am confused
about whether its operator need to be licensed or certified, or both.

OSHA seems to have strict requirements for cranes used in
construction, but I do not do construction. What I do (machine moving
and removal) is called "general industry".

Does anyone here own a crane or have a good idea on this?

In Illinois there is, the operating engineer's local 150 Heavy Equipment Operator Training School
19800 W South Arsenal Rd, Wilmington, IL 60481
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK. I bought a Grove RT-60S crane.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-RT-60S-Crane/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am thinking about buying an all terrain crane and I am confused
about whether its operator need to be licensed or certified, or both.

OSHA seems to have strict requirements for cranes used in
construction, but I do not do construction. What I do (machine moving
and removal) is called "general industry".

Does anyone here own a crane or have a good idea on this?

I'd imagine that it falls under both state and muni regs, Ig. Check
with your local erection companies to see who sets their regs, then
contact them directly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=illi...on+regulations might
help, too.

In Illinois, erections are not allowed on Sunday mornings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 3:02:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 9:45:34 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus11174 wrote:
I am thinking about buying an all terrain crane and I am confused
about whether its operator need to be licensed or certified, or both.

OSHA seems to have strict requirements for cranes used in
construction, but I do not do construction. What I do (machine moving
and removal) is called "general industry".

Does anyone here own a crane or have a good idea on this?

In Illinois there is, the operating engineer's local 150 Heavy Equipment Operator Training School
19800 W South Arsenal Rd, Wilmington, IL 60481

There's a similar place in NJ - I pass it on the NJ Turnpike on the way to a customer. I've always thought they should open that place to the public on weekends. Charge by the hour to play with the big toys.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/25/2015 8:28 PM, Ignoramus19964 wrote:
OK. I bought a Grove RT-60S crane.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-RT-60S-Crane/

That looks like a lot of fun. You're on a ****in' roll, Iggy!

BTW - how does the retracted boom length compare to your trailer's length?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am thinking about buying an all terrain crane and I am confused
about whether its operator need to be licensed or certified, or both.

OSHA seems to have strict requirements for cranes used in
construction, but I do not do construction. What I do (machine moving
and removal) is called "general industry".

Does anyone here own a crane or have a good idea on this?

I'd imagine that it falls under both state and muni regs, Ig. Check
with your local erection companies to see who sets their regs, then
contact them directly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=illi...on+regulations might
help, too.

In Illinois, erections are not allowed on Sunday mornings.

I hope you don't get caught then. I personally have never tried to
avoid erections on any particular day of the week. There were some
times though when going through puberty that an erection could be
embarassing and Sunday mornings at church would have been especially
embarrasing.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:28:27 -0500, Ignoramus19964
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-RT-60S-Crane/

Good lad! Now some sanding, and 5 gallons of Rustoliem and a spray
gun and you will be able to do some work. Now the big question
is..is it street legal?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am thinking about buying an all terrain crane and I am confused
about whether its operator need to be licensed or certified, or both.

OSHA seems to have strict requirements for cranes used in
construction, but I do not do construction. What I do (machine moving
and removal) is called "general industry".

Does anyone here own a crane or have a good idea on this?

I'd imagine that it falls under both state and muni regs, Ig. Check
with your local erection companies to see who sets their regs, then
contact them directly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=illi...on+regulations might
help, too.

In Illinois, erections are not allowed on Sunday mornings.

Gasp!! Id be well and truely ****ed! Er...ah....hummm....
Maybe I wouldnt be

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We are talking about the Crane not the folk on the street!
Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-06-26, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 6/25/2015 8:28 PM, Ignoramus19964 wrote:
OK. I bought a Grove RT-60S crane.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-RT-60S-Crane/

That looks like a lot of fun. You're on a ****in' roll, Iggy!

We'll see!!!

BTW - how does the retracted boom length compare to your trailer's length?

It should extend beyond the back by about 1-2 feet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-RT-60S-Crane/

Good lad! Now some sanding, and 5 gallons of Rustoliem and a spray
gun and you will be able to do some work. Now the big question
is..is it street legal?

No, it is all terrain, not a street vehicle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK. I bought a Grove RT-60S crane.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-RT-60S-Crane/

You got screwed. That thing really needs paint.

So, what did you learn about the licensing and such for personal use?

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am thinking about buying an all terrain crane and I am confused
about whether its operator need to be licensed or certified, or both.

OSHA seems to have strict requirements for cranes used in
construction, but I do not do construction. What I do (machine moving
and removal) is called "general industry".

Does anyone here own a crane or have a good idea on this?

I'd imagine that it falls under both state and muni regs, Ig. Check
with your local erection companies to see who sets their regs, then
contact them directly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=illi...on+regulations might
help, too.

In Illinois, erections are not allowed on Sunday mornings.

In or out of church?

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK. I bought a Grove RT-60S crane.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-RT-60S-Crane/

You got screwed. That thing really needs paint.

So, what did you learn about the licensing and such for personal
use?

A retired friend pays the commercial registration fee for his
heavy-duty pickup truck, though I doubt Iggy could claim the crane as
his personal car.

I've thought about buying a used bucket van for personal use.
http://highperformancecrew.com/showt...GMC-Bucket-Van
"Asking Price: $ 4850.00"

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 07:15:59 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

OK. I bought a Grove RT-60S crane.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-RT-60S-Crane/

You got screwed. That thing really needs paint.

So, what did you learn about the licensing and such for personal
use?

A retired friend pays the commercial registration fee for his
heavy-duty pickup truck, though I doubt Iggy could claim the crane as
his personal car.

I've thought about buying a used bucket van for personal use.
http://highperformancecrew.com/showt...GMC-Bucket-Van
"Asking Price: $ 4850.00"

I've had the same thoughts myself. Why a van? Hell to navigate.

They turn up all the time on eBay. Some (a small fleet) '05 1T
GMC/Altec bucket trucks went for $5-7k a few years ago, when I was
looking. They were probably gas, though. I have no idea how clapped
out a truck can get in service for a decade, either.

They'd be handy as a shop crane, too. Pop the man bucket off and...

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I know they aren't practical, but I do have a use right now. A
neighbor and I hired a tree service with a crane to take down mature,
branch-shedding oaks leaning ominously toward our houses. They left
the trunks of mine in a jumble so I could salvage the crooked firewood
and straight sawmill lumber; these trees originally grew straight
without large lower branches in a forest. Now I have a heap of wet
logs 16" to 20" in diameter and up to 25' long to rearrange into a
neat covered stack, cribbed up off the ground and all on my property,
by myself.

I designed my lifting gear to move 8', 1000 Lb sections and this
severely strains some parts of it, though the A frame posts should
support 4700 lbs apiece, assuming they are 25000 lb yield scrap steel,
or 5400 if A36. My 5000 Lb crane scale appears to be cracking as it
won't return to zero, so I bought another one. Fortunately Chinese
ones are fairly cheap if you don't need certifiable accuracy, just
comparison to a proof test load.

I've spent more time repairing and modifying the equipment and
designing the post-and-beam sheds I'll make from the logs, to cut them
to manageable lengths without waste, than moving the wood. This is
what those trolley wheels are for.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A retired friend pays the commercial registration fee for his
heavy-duty pickup truck, though I doubt Iggy could claim the crane as
his personal car.

There's no chick you couldn't pick up with a vehicle like that!

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

A retired friend pays the commercial registration fee for his
heavy-duty pickup truck, though I doubt Iggy could claim the crane
as
his personal car.

There's no chick you couldn't pick up with a vehicle like that!

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Would you pick up chicks who required a crane?

I might consider one who knew how to operate it. She'd be unlikely to
spend my money on Manolo Blahniks, though maybe on Red Wings.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am thinking about buying an all terrain crane and I am confused
about whether its operator need to be licensed or certified, or both.

OSHA seems to have strict requirements for cranes used in
construction, but I do not do construction. What I do (machine moving
and removal) is called "general industry".

Does anyone here own a crane or have a good idea on this?

No idea on the licensing requirements, but from all the crane accident
videos you've posted links to, I know you're aware of the hazards
associated with rigging.

A long time ago, I was involved with training a bunch of workers in
rigging safety after a series of incidents, including a 11000# load
dropped about 3' from me. And that was just a bridge crane. We got
some professionals to help, and some training brochures, etc. Focused
on staying out from under loads, knowing the load, knowing working
capacity of tools, do's and don'ts (spreading the hook, etc) the
simple trig involved, etc. We awarded "driver licenses" to those that
passed the tests, and promised to release any that didn't pass.
Everybody passed the second test.

With cranes, there's a lot more to add, boom angle, length, rotation,
outrigger extension and load bearing properties of different surfaces.
I know riggers replace their wire ropes at regular intervals, even
with the daily inspections.

Training up, getting certified, and setting up and following a
maintenance schedule is probably time well spent whether or not it's
required by law.

Good luck and enjoy the crane.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/25/2015 7:28 PM, Ignoramus19964 wrote:
OK. I bought a Grove RT-60S crane.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-RT-60S-Crane/

So what's the capacity, Iggy? The one plate stamp if I can read it
correctly seems to say 20 T working whereas the casting looks like it's
rated 12 T...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Shouldn't take long, with one under each arm. Are you wanting to mill
them into long sticks, or could you saw some down to size to
facilitate their movement? (Never mind, I just read the next para)

I designed my lifting gear to move 8', 1000 Lb sections and this
severely strains some parts of it, though the A frame posts should
support 4700 lbs apiece, assuming they are 25000 lb yield scrap steel,
or 5400 if A36. My 5000 Lb crane scale appears to be cracking as it
won't return to zero, so I bought another one. Fortunately Chinese
ones are fairly cheap if you don't need certifiable accuracy, just
comparison to a proof test load.

I couldn't have afforded nearly the amount of gear I have bought had I
been restrained to brands such as Fluke, Starrett, SnapOn, Milwaukee,
etc. Chiwanese stuff does just fine for many, many things.

I've spent more time repairing and modifying the equipment and
designing the post-and-beam sheds I'll make from the logs, to cut them
to manageable lengths without waste, than moving the wood. This is
what those trolley wheels are for.

Oh, cool! Timber framing can be tremendously beautiful, strong, and
efficient. Have you built a hydraulic peavey yet? Are you using a
manual timber boring machine and chisels, or a chainsaw-based
mortiser?

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A retired friend pays the commercial registration fee for his
heavy-duty pickup truck, though I doubt Iggy could claim the crane as
his personal car.

There's no chick you couldn't pick up with a vehicle like that!

g Yabbut, any chick requiring that to be picked up would be far
from my radar, duuuuude. (Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!)

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 09:53:19 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Oh, cool! Timber framing can be tremendously beautiful, strong, and
efficient. Have you built a hydraulic peavey yet? Are you using a
manual timber boring machine and chisels, or a chainsaw-based
mortiser?

I'm not a purist on rough sheds. The ones I previously built from tree
trunks are lag-screwed together, their pressure treated timbers are
attached with small screws in metal plates to minimize damage if/when
I reuse them elsewhere. The sheds will be largely a place to store the
wood, like in closely spaced 6x6 rafters.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-06-26, dpb wrote:
I picked up an old JLG 40H manlift 10 or 12 year ago for $5K off eBay
(also happened to have been located in Chicago area altho it was a
rental turn-in and the broker/seller was in FL). It's been _extremely_
handy around the place altho I got it when was getting started with
reroofing the old barn not long after we had come back to the farm...it
had the advantage or any of the bucket trucks I've seen of the larger
basket that allowed hired hand and I to be able to load up w/ shingle
bundles (went back w/ cedar shakes rather than convert the open-slat
roof to solid to maintain original character) and still be able to get
both of us in there....that would be enough to keep us going until we
needed a ground break and saved schlepping them up and finding/making
storage platforms on the roof. The disadvantage comparatively is its
weight (12000 lb) and less maneuverability and not being "roadable" but
for use just around the farm place that's not a real restriction. Now
that I've had it, it's been handy enough for many other tasks I'd really
miss it if it weren't around.

It needed some maintenance for some leaking cylinder seals here a couple
months ago and I looked some with the idea given its age of maybe just
finding a newer one instead but in a short window nothing came online
that wasn't quite a lot more expensive. I'm sure if one didn't have a
time frame deadline and kept watching bargains are there periodically
still. There was on 60-ft that was "almost" but I decided to spend the
money on this one at least one more time before finally retiring it...

One of the guys who does maintenance for me, knows how to rebuild
cylinders. It is not difficult.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-06-26, dpb wrote:
On 06/25/2015 7:28 PM, Ignoramus19964 wrote:
OK. I bought a Grove RT-60S crane.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-RT-60S-Crane/

So what's the capacity, Iggy? The one plate stamp if I can read it
correctly seems to say 20 T working whereas the casting looks like it's
rated 12 T...

The crane is 18 short tons.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/26/2015 6:37 PM, Ignoramus23199 wrote:

One of the guys who does maintenance for me, knows how to rebuild
cylinders. It is not difficult.

_Rebuilding_ the cylinder is pretty much trivial, yes; getting the main
lift and level cylinders out _to_ rebuild is a major effort.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 18:37:22 -0500, Ignoramus23199
wrote:

On 2015-06-26, dpb wrote:
[...]

As long as the cyl bores are not all pitted from water contamination
in the fluid, or the cyl rods are not all pitted, or on chromed shafts
- pealing. - and assuming they are rebuildable cyls, not cheap
all-welded construction. Threaded on ends or through bolted cyls are
rebuildable if you can undo the associated threads.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message
On 06/26/2015 6:37 PM, Ignoramus23199 wrote:

One of the guys who does maintenance for me, knows how to rebuild
cylinders. It is not difficult.

_Rebuilding_ the cylinder is pretty much trivial, yes; getting the
main lift and level cylinders out _to_ rebuild is a major effort.

--

It would be easy with a crane, but ................

The cylinder rebuilding shop where I get my scrap steel cutoffs has a
rack of large telescoping tubing to make such cylinders. It might be
useful to get to know a shop where you are.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-06-27, dpb wrote:
On 06/26/2015 6:37 PM, Ignoramus23199 wrote:

One of the guys who does maintenance for me, knows how to rebuild
cylinders. It is not difficult.

_Rebuilding_ the cylinder is pretty much trivial, yes; getting the main
lift and level cylinders out _to_ rebuild is a major effort.

Pretty easy if you have a crane to help!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/26/2015 8:19 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On 06/26/2015 6:37 PM, Ignoramus23199 wrote:

One of the guys who does maintenance for me, knows how to rebuild
cylinders. It is not difficult.

_Rebuilding_ the cylinder is pretty much trivial, yes; getting the
main lift and level cylinders out _to_ rebuild is a major effort.

--

It would be easy with a crane, but ................

The cylinder rebuilding shop where I get my scrap steel cutoffs has a
rack of large telescoping tubing to make such cylinders. It might be
useful to get to know a shop where you are.

W/ working farm I know the hydraulics folks in town _quite_ well...

I don't have the facilities to handle these larger cylinders,
though...the "extend" is almost 20' single stroke 2=1/2" bore; the main
lift isn't huge but need enough shop area to support the boom and crane
to lift and extract horizontal as it is enclosed inside the boom and has
to come out lengthwise; I have neither of sufficient capacity.

I took it (well, actually, they sent the float to take it to their shop)
to the Deere shop in town; they ended up unable to get the end caps off
the main lift and took it to the hydraulic shop. He needed most of a
day to finally get it apart to replace the seals....

Turned out it also was a major effort to remove the link pins for the
main lift cylinder as well...after almost 30 years (its an '88 model
lift) they had "growed" in place and were buggers to drive out. The
much smaller slave lift (one that keeps the basket level with varying
boom height) wasn't that bad; if it were only it I might have tried it
but figure wasn't any point in doing one w/o the other given the age; if
the slave was already leaking it wouldn't be long before the master also
began.

Meanwhile, the seal kits were only $40/ea or thereabouts.

I'm not at all upset over the shop charges; it's part of having such. I
can and do deal with most routine stuff, but that one is beyond what
I've the capacity to handle and have other things that need doing anyway...

PS. After it was finished, loaned the lift to a local non-profit riding
stable that works with developmentally-challenged kids so they could
work over the tension rods holding the frame of their arena (it's one of
the soft-cover over metal support type). The Deere dealer contributed
the haul over to their place and will go pick it up and deliver it home
when they're finished...