Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How did the NY state prisoners get out?

Here's something right up RCM's alley. The NYT had a metalworking
teacher test 6 different tools that the escapees might have used:

http://tinyurl.com/p9h5dqv

(in deference to those who want full URLs

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...T.nav=top-news

I had bet on a Milwaukee Sawzall. It won. It looks like the exact same
setup I used to cut through the 90-year-old cast iron drain pipes in
my house.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 4:41:17 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
Here's something right up RCM's alley. The NYT had a metalworking
teacher test 6 different tools that the escapees might have used:

http://tinyurl.com/p9h5dqv

(in deference to those who want full URLs

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...T.nav=top-news

I had bet on a Milwaukee Sawzall. It won. It looks like the exact same
setup I used to cut through the 90-year-old cast iron drain pipes in
my house.

I remember talking with some folks on how many older homes have clogged drain pipes going out to the street and how their repairs went. Apparently, putting a toilet bowl cleaning briquette in the water closet of any toilet in the household could do good in reversing some of the clogging downline.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 14:36:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 4:41:17 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
Here's something right up RCM's alley. The NYT had a metalworking
teacher test 6 different tools that the escapees might have used:

http://tinyurl.com/p9h5dqv

(in deference to those who want full URLs

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...T.nav=top-news

I had bet on a Milwaukee Sawzall. It won. It looks like the exact same
setup I used to cut through the 90-year-old cast iron drain pipes in
my house.

I remember talking with some folks on how many older homes have clogged drain pipes going out to the street and how their repairs went. Apparently, putting a toilet bowl cleaning briquette in the water closet of any toilet in the household could do good in reversing some of the clogging downline.

It was the 2" drains from the second floor that clogged on me. We've
lived here for 37 years. After five years, I was able to de-clog with
big pots of boiling water. After 10 years, commercial drain cleaners.
Then on to progressively stronger straight lye -- I was buying it 24
pounds at a time.

Next, a series of drain snakes -- larger and more aggressive as time
went on. By this time, a plumber friend told me I'd better replace all
of those pipes with plastic, because there was no hope (he was right).

Finally, I went to sulfuric acid. After a month of that, not only were
the pipes totally clogged, but I had to rod out the nipple to which I
attached the PVC. There was no hole in the middle of the clog at all.

So I rented one of those huge chain-type pipe cutters, which worked
where there was clearance. But there was no clearance on the vertical
runs. So it was a Sawzall with a bimetal blade for the last four cuts.
I couldn't believe how clean and straight those cuts were, in
90-year-old cast iron pipe.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
Here's something right up RCM's alley. The NYT had a metalworking
teacher test 6 different tools that the escapees might have used:

http://tinyurl.com/p9h5dqv

I had bet on a Milwaukee Sawzall. It won. It looks like the exact
same setup I used to cut through the 90-year-old cast iron drain
pipes in my house.

Well so far one of the scum will never be a burden to society any
longer.... They are in active pursuit of the other so maybe this can
end tonight..

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/26...ficers-source/

"Richard Matt, one of two New York prison escapees, was shot and killed
by law enforcement officers Friday afternoon and police appeared to be
closing in on his accomplice.

A source told Fox News that officers had surrounded "a fairly small
area" where they believe David Sweat is hiding.

Matt was killed in a remote area of Franklin County, N.Y. not far from
two hunting cabins where he and Sweat reportedly had taken refuge.

Law enforcement sources confirmed to Fox that the owner of a camper had
called 911 and said he had seen the two escapees, leading officers to
converge on the area.

One source told Fox News Matt was shot and killed by Customs Border
Protection agents from the Department of Homeland Security

The location where Matt, 49, was shot is about 40 miles west of the
Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora, where the pair staged a
brazen breakout June 6."

--
Steve W.