DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New 6" wire wheels (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/379184-new-6-wire-wheels.html)

Steve W.[_4_] June 20th 15 04:40 AM

New 6" wire wheels

OK so what brand of wire wheel do you like and has held up to hard use
without shedding every wire before they are really worn?
Looking for a pair, 6" diameter 1" face. Mostly for rust and scale removal.
I was given a couple of the current B&D consumer wheels (think they were
from Lowes) Supposedly plated steel wire. One is so out of balance the
grinder wants to walk off the mount. The other one must be to buff your
finger nails. The wire is JUNK and sheds if you even look at it crooked!

--
Steve W.

Gunner Asch[_6_] June 20th 15 02:50 PM

New 6" wire wheels

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 23:40:11 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

OK so what brand of wire wheel do you like and has held up to hard use
without shedding every wire before they are really worn?
Looking for a pair, 6" diameter 1" face. Mostly for rust and scale removal.
I was given a couple of the current B&D consumer wheels (think they were
from Lowes) Supposedly plated steel wire. One is so out of balance the
grinder wants to walk off the mount. The other one must be to buff your
finger nails. The wire is JUNK and sheds if you even look at it crooked!

The absolute BEST brushes made

http://www.ohiobrush.com/Pages/knotwheel.html

Might want to ask Tom Gardner about them.

Gunner

Tom Gardner[_29_] June 20th 15 06:20 PM

New 6" wire wheels

wrote:

OK so what brand of wire wheel do you like and has held up to hard use
without shedding every wire before they are really worn?
Looking for a pair, 6" diameter 1" face. Mostly for rust and scale removal.
I was given a couple of the current B&D consumer wheels (think they were
from Lowes) Supposedly plated steel wire. One is so out of balance the
grinder wants to walk off the mount. The other one must be to buff your
finger nails. The wire is JUNK and sheds if you even look at it crooked!

The absolute BEST brushes made

http://www.ohiobrush.com/Pages/knotwheel.html

Might want to ask Tom Gardner about them.

Gunner

But they are in Canada now. I'd buy Osborn or Weiler. I'm not sure
where to get them except at a welder's supply.

Tom Gardner[_29_] June 20th 15 06:23 PM

New 6" wire wheels

On 6/19/2015 11:40 PM, Steve W. wrote:
OK so what brand of wire wheel do you like and has held up to hard use
without shedding every wire before they are really worn?
Looking for a pair, 6" diameter 1" face. Mostly for rust and scale removal.
I was given a couple of the current B&D consumer wheels (think they were
from Lowes) Supposedly plated steel wire. One is so out of balance the
grinder wants to walk off the mount. The other one must be to buff your
finger nails. The wire is JUNK and sheds if you even look at it crooked!

To get the 1" face, gang up 2 thinner brushes. Get Osborn or Weiler at
a welding supply. Use .014" to .020" wire. Get knot-type brushes for
heavy-duty work. Get crimped for more general purpose.

Steve W.[_4_] June 20th 15 08:53 PM

New 6" wire wheels

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 6/19/2015 11:40 PM, Steve W. wrote:
OK so what brand of wire wheel do you like and has held up to hard use
without shedding every wire before they are really worn?
Looking for a pair, 6" diameter 1" face. Mostly for rust and scale removal.
I was given a couple of the current B&D consumer wheels (think they were
from Lowes) Supposedly plated steel wire. One is so out of balance the
grinder wants to walk off the mount. The other one must be to buff your
finger nails. The wire is JUNK and sheds if you even look at it crooked!

To get the 1" face, gang up 2 thinner brushes. Get Osborn or Weiler at
a welding supply. Use .014" to .020" wire. Get knot-type brushes for
heavy-duty work. Get crimped for more general purpose.

MSC has Weiler. 1" face was $90.00
Not a fan of the price there but I'll dig around.

The ancient one on it was a B&D industrial, 1" face, crimped with .018
wire. Filled as close to solid as I've ever seen on a wire wheel.
But like everything else "They don't make those any longer"...

The grinder itself is one of the OLD 6" B&D Heavy duty ones. The plant
my father worked at had to get it out of the place as it doesn't meet
OSHA standards. All cast iron. Built back when "close enough" wasn't
good enough.

--
Steve W.

Mike Spencer June 20th 15 10:03 PM

New 6" wire wheels

"Steve W." writes:

The ancient one on it was a B&D industrial, 1" face, crimped with .018
wire. Filled as close to solid as I've ever seen on a wire wheel.
But like everything else "They don't make those any longer"...

I used to get durable (but thinner) wire wheels from Canadian
Tire. But they were so out of balance that I'd end up welding 1" of
3/8" dia. steel to the hub to static-balance it.

The grinder itself is one of the OLD 6" B&D Heavy duty ones. The plant
my father worked at had to get it out of the place as it doesn't meet
OSHA standards. All cast iron. Built back when "close enough" wasn't
good enough.

I still use a B&D grinder for wire wheels and abrasive mesh
wheels. It's cast aluminum from about 1925. (I have a 1925 catalog
showing a B&D 1/2" drill of the same style -- and I have one those
1/2" drills, still in use, too.)

In the late 70's, a brush holder on the grinder broke. Drove 75 miles
to Halifax to the B&D repair shop, grinder & part in hand. Before
computers, y'know. The guy started at the left hand end of the
bookshelf with the microfiche albums, moved his finger along to the
fat, shiny, hard-bound catalogs, then to the older paper catalogs,
then to the thin, grubby, stapled catalogs. Finally, at the far
right-hand end of the shelf, he pulled out the very last item, a
grimy, tattered thing of about 10 or 20 pages, found my grinder there,
read off the part number. He had three on the shelf so I bought two.
Damn thing is still going, haven't needed the 2nd holder yet.

Not like that any more. Around 2004 I phoned whatever it is that has
replaced the guy with the catalogs about a bearing for a B&D 4-1/2" angle
grinder bought new in the late 70s. Young feller says, "Jeeeez, that's
an *old* one!" It was listed on their computer but no bearing
available, had to go to a generic seal & bearing place to get one.

I love using old tools so I'm still grumpy about my Atlas-Copco
compressor -- early 50s or older. I finally found a guy who knew a
guy who had access to the global Atlas-Copco product database. He
reported that there was no record anywhere of a compressor of that
model made under their marque. Huh. Big ol' cast iron crankcase
cover with "Atlas-Copco" cast in, too.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Gunner Asch[_6_] June 20th 15 10:07 PM

New 6" wire wheels

wrote:

OK so what brand of wire wheel do you like and has held up to hard use
without shedding every wire before they are really worn?
Looking for a pair, 6" diameter 1" face. Mostly for rust and scale removal.
I was given a couple of the current B&D consumer wheels (think they were
from Lowes) Supposedly plated steel wire. One is so out of balance the
grinder wants to walk off the mount. The other one must be to buff your
finger nails. The wire is JUNK and sheds if you even look at it crooked!

The absolute BEST brushes made

http://www.ohiobrush.com/Pages/knotwheel.html

Might want to ask Tom Gardner about them.

Gunner

But they are in Canada now. I'd buy Osborn or Weiler. I'm not sure
where to get them except at a welder's supply.

Really? All gone away? I wasnt aware that they had moved after they
bought.

And all your long time people?

Fill me in, either here or via email if you would.

Gunner

Tom Gardner[_29_] June 21st 15 03:27 PM

New 6" wire wheels

On 6/20/2015 5:07 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Really? All gone away? I wasnt aware that they had moved after they
bought.

And all your long time people?

Fill me in, either here or via email if you would.

Gunner

I'll e-mail you the story, my NG provider won't let me post that many lines.

Larry Jaques[_4_] June 21st 15 07:27 PM

New 6" wire wheels

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 10:27:07 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 6/20/2015 5:07 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Really? All gone away? I wasnt aware that they had moved after they
bought.

And all your long time people?

Fill me in, either here or via email if you would.

I'll e-mail you the story, my NG provider won't let me post that many lines.

CC that to me, too, please.

This just in via email, and they're geared toward you, Tawm:

AMAZING, SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES:

1. AVOID CUTTING YOURSELF WHEN SLICING VEGETABLES BY GETTING SOMEONE
ELSE TO HOLD THE VEGETABLES WHILE YOU
CHOP.

2. AVOID ARGUMENTS WITH THE FEMALES ABOUT LIFTING THE TOILET SEAT BY
USING THE SINK.

3. FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SUFFERERS ~ SIMPLY CUT YOURSELF AND BLEED
FOR A FEW MINUTES, THUS REDUCING THE PRESSURE ON YOUR VEINS. REMEMBER
TO USE A TIMER.

4. A MOUSE TRAP PLACED ON TOP OF YOUR ALARM CLOCK WILL PREVENT YOU
FROM ROLLING OVER AND GOING BACK TO SLEEP AFTER YOU HIT THE SNOOZE
BUTTON.

5. IF YOU HAVE A BAD COUGH, TAKE A LARGE DOSE OF LAXATIVES. THEN
YOU'LL BE AFRAID TO COUGH.

6. YOU NEED ONLY TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT
DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES,
USE THE DUCT TAPE.

7. IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL
PROBLEM.

THOUGHT for the day:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT
THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

eof

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.

Spehro Pefhany June 22nd 15 07:59 PM

New 6" wire wheels

wrote:

On 6/20/2015 5:07 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Really? All gone away? I wasnt aware that they had moved after they
bought.

And all your long time people?

Fill me in, either here or via email if you would.

Gunner

I'll e-mail you the story, my NG provider won't let me post that many lines.

I'd be interested as well. Thanks, Tom.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany