Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Copper-nickel alloy

Specifically 70-30 cupronickel. Any links or advice on machining and/or
brazing this stuff? Ususlly used in marine (salt water) plumbing and heat
exchangers.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 10:15:59 AM UTC-7, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Specifically 70-30 cupronickel. Any links or advice on machining and/or
brazing this stuff? Ususlly used in marine (salt water) plumbing and heat
exchangers.

Sometimes called Monel? I've used cupronickel brazing rod, but that'd be
welding rod in this case; it must be possible to weld, I've seen Monel sinks that
were obviously weld-ups.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:19:31 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Specifically 70-30 cupronickel. Any links or advice on machining and/or
brazing this stuff? Ususlly used in marine (salt water) plumbing and heat
exchangers.

I've seen a number of marine heat exchangers, said to be cupronickel,
that had the end plates soldered on but I am not sure whether it was
lead-tin solder or silver solder, but I did visit a shop that was
making them and the assembly was being done with an acetylene torch.

You might look at:
http://www.copperalliance.org.uk/doc...cation-pdf.pdf
https://books.google.co.th/books?id=...angers&f=false
http://www.nickelinstitute.org/~/Med...ns_1200 7_.pd
For more detail.
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Specifically 70-30 cupronickel. Any links or advice on machining and/or
brazing this stuff? Ususlly used in marine (salt water) plumbing and heat
exchangers.

Go look for Keith Fenner on You Tube or Facebook. He can likely tell you
all you would need to know.

--
Steve W.

Need Nickel Wire? James T.[_2_] Metalworking 0 August 7th 14 03:40 AM
How to tell Nickel 99 from Nickel 55 [email protected] Metalworking 1 June 18th 12 04:13 AM
How to tell Nickel 99 from Nickel 55 Ned Simmons Metalworking 2 June 14th 12 11:46 PM
nickel falls RayV Woodworking 11 July 24th 06 03:04 PM
Two headed nickel jim Metalworking 17 September 3rd 03 12:00 AM