Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Earless" Pillow Blocks and synchronous belts

I'm sure we all know what I'm referring to when I say "earless" pillow
block but is there a correct nomenclature to ask for? I need earless
pillow blocks with Timken type tapered roller bearings, or something
else that will handle moderate thrust, with a 1" bore and be permanently
lubed.

Are timing belts and synchronous belts the same thing? I need to
transmit 5 to 7.5 Hp to a parallel 1" shaft at 2K RPM, 1:1 with a motor
about 10" away. I'm just not smart or patient enough to figure out the
correct belt using the graphs and formulas on the suppliers' web pages
while some people intuitively know what belt to use. For various
reasons, I can't use V-belts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 09:58:59 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

I'm sure we all know what I'm referring to when I say "earless" pillow
block but is there a correct nomenclature to ask for? I need earless
pillow blocks with Timken type tapered roller bearings, or something
else that will handle moderate thrust, with a 1" bore and be permanently
lubed.

I've seen them described as "Tapped Base" See:
http://www.astbearings.com/tapped-ba...ow-blocks.html

Are timing belts and synchronous belts the same thing? I need to
transmit 5 to 7.5 Hp to a parallel 1" shaft at 2K RPM, 1:1 with a motor
about 10" away. I'm just not smart or patient enough to figure out the
correct belt using the graphs and formulas on the suppliers' web pages
while some people intuitively know what belt to use. For various
reasons, I can't use V-belts.

I believe that the generic term is "synchronous belt" and "timing
belt" is a term that might be applied to automobile use, see:
https://www1.eere.energy.gov/manufac..._systemts5.pdf
or
https://ww2.gates.com/europe/index.cfm?location_id=3573
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm sure we all know what I'm referring to when I say "earless" pillow
block but is there a correct nomenclature to ask for? I need earless
pillow blocks with Timken type tapered roller bearings, or something
else that will handle moderate thrust, with a 1" bore and be permanently
lubed.

Nope, never heard of an earless pillow block. Could you be thinking
of a cartridge? I've used those a long time ago. Otherwise, deep
groove ball bearings come lubed and can handle some thrust. I like
the SKF site for bearing info.

Are timing belts and synchronous belts the same thing? I need to
transmit 5 to 7.5 Hp to a parallel 1" shaft at 2K RPM, 1:1 with a motor
about 10" away. I'm just not smart or patient enough to figure out the
correct belt using the graphs and formulas on the suppliers' web pages
while some people intuitively know what belt to use. For various
reasons, I can't use V-belts.

Yes, a timing belt is an application for a synchronous belt. At that
horsepower, I'd start looking at HTD belts. The Gates downloadable
catalog is good. I always use the tables, then upsize some. In a
synchronous belt, you still end up with a pretty small belt. Which is
one reason I use them. Most recently, I used one on the belt grinder
I built for my son because I was using a 1:5 ratio, speeding up the
output shaft.

PS. I just downloaded and tried Gates Design Flex Pro software. You
have to register, but works slick. Try it.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

https://www1.eere.energy.gov/manufac...sistance/pdfs/

replace_vbelts_motor_systemts5.pdf
or https://ww2.gates.com/europe/index.cfm?location_id=3573

I've seen "timing belt" used by purveyors of mechanical stuff. The
impression I get is that if it's there just to keep things synchronized
then it's a "timing belt", but if it's there to transmit serious power
then it's a "toothed belt" or "synchronous belt".

Of course, "serious power" in a copier may be ten times lighter weight
than a "timing belt" in a heavy diesel engine, but hey -- whatever
terminology floats your boat.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

In the Texas oil fields it would be "one of them thangs" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I use both herringbone belts and "ladder belts" on 5hp CNC lathes that
need to transmit both power AND keep the spindle in perfect time with
the motor (servo)

http://www.veyance.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=3400

Goodyear makes both. Gates does as well

http://info.gates.com/beltpm?gclid=C...yGQaAgBF8P8HAQ