Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What Happened at US Digital

I wonder what kind of trouble US Digital got themselves into. Today I
received a letter from them saying I needed to sign it agreeing to obey the
law in several different ways, or they wouldn't sell to me anymore. My
first thought is somehow they get themselves in trouble, and they are
sending out these letters as a legal ploy to try claim it was somebody else.

I have three US Digital encoders on my Hurco KMB1.

I found the implication and tone of the letter to be vulgar and insulting.
Basically it said over and over again, "You agree to obey the law."
(Paraphrasing)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 12:55:52 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I wonder what kind of trouble US Digital got themselves into. Today I
received a letter from them saying I needed to sign it agreeing to obey the
law in several different ways, or they wouldn't sell to me anymore. My
first thought is somehow they get themselves in trouble, and they are
sending out these letters as a legal ploy to try claim it was somebody else.

I have three US Digital encoders on my Hurco KMB1.

I found the implication and tone of the letter to be vulgar and insulting.
Basically it said over and over again, "You agree to obey the law."
(Paraphrasing)

I wonder if this is the same letter they sent out to some customers 5
years ago. It was about not selling to embargoed countries. Is that
what yours is about?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I wonder what kind of trouble US Digital got themselves into. Today I
received a letter from them saying I needed to sign it agreeing to obey
the
law in several different ways, or they wouldn't sell to me anymore. My
first thought is somehow they get themselves in trouble, and they are
sending out these letters as a legal ploy to try claim it was somebody
else.

I have three US Digital encoders on my Hurco KMB1.

I found the implication and tone of the letter to be vulgar and insulting.
Basically it said over and over again, "You agree to obey the law."
(Paraphrasing)

I wonder if this is the same letter they sent out to some customers 5
years ago. It was about not selling to embargoed countries. Is that
what yours is about?

Yep.

Likely are getting pressure from the government. ITAR is a snake in the grass waiting to ruin your day.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Export buyers of similar stuff get notices like this:

"We further certify that the goods will not be used for any purpose
connected with chemical, biological or nuclear weapons, or missiles
capable of delivering such weapons; that they will not be re-exported
or otherwise re-sold or transferred if it is known or suspected that
they are intended or likely to be used for such purposes; and that the
goods, or any replica of them, will not be used in any nuclear
explosive activity or unsafeguarded nuclear fuel cycle activity."

I'm sure they caught lots of bad guys with this kind of thing-- they
would **never** fill out a form inaccurately.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I always sign that ****
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And the people in the State Department who administer it are definitely
not paid to think.

At one point, back when I had a Real Job, I was helping our export
control officer get an engineering tool sent off to a vendor in South
Africa for testing. What we wanted to send was basically a hunk of
aluminum with some mounting flanges and a mirror.

Our export control officer told them this, sent pictures, etc., etc.
Finally she flew to DC with the thing, put it up on someone's desk, and
said "can I send this to South Africa?"

The federal employee in charge responded "but that's just a hunk of
aluminum with a mirror..."

(It's important, when dealing with bureaucrats, to remember that they
never, ever, get fired or thrown in the pokey, for saying "no" -- only
for saying "yes".)

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You don't mention the ways.

The digital encoders might be of a grade that exports to certain
countries is by permission of state department only. Many items
and machines are on the lists. The company I worked for in the 80's
did a sting job and aided the G-Men in tracing the machines. They
were shipped to two states and then to a friendly country and was about
to go behind the Iron curtain when the law caught all sides.

Martin

On 6/8/2015 2:55 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I wonder what kind of trouble US Digital got themselves into. Today I
received a letter from them saying I needed to sign it agreeing to obey
the law in several different ways, or they wouldn't sell to me anymore.
My first thought is somehow they get themselves in trouble, and they are
sending out these letters as a legal ploy to try claim it was somebody
else.

I have three US Digital encoders on my Hurco KMB1.

I found the implication and tone of the letter to be vulgar and
insulting. Basically it said over and over again, "You agree to obey the
law." (Paraphrasing)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
You don't mention the ways.

The digital encoders might be of a grade that exports to certain countries
is by permission of state department only. Many items
and machines are on the lists. The company I worked for in the 80's
did a sting job and aided the G-Men in tracing the machines. They
were shipped to two states and then to a friendly country and was about
to go behind the Iron curtain when the law caught all sides.

Martin

So, what. I do not have to sign some insulting and degrading letter to stay
within the law. I really could care less about US Digitals problems. Its
akin to forcing me to work for them and law enforcement without paying me.
I already have to work for the IRS, DES, and AZDOR unpaid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 9:37:16 AM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
You don't mention the ways.

The digital encoders might be of a grade that exports to certain countries
is by permission of state department only. Many items
and machines are on the lists. The company I worked for in the 80's
did a sting job and aided the G-Men in tracing the machines. They
were shipped to two states and then to a friendly country and was about
to go behind the Iron curtain when the law caught all sides.

Martin

So, what. I do not have to sign some insulting and degrading letter to stay
within the law. I really could care less about US Digitals problems. Its
akin to forcing me to work for them and law enforcement without paying me.
I already have to work for the IRS, DES, and AZDOR unpaid.

If you really want to mess with US Digital. Send an email saying ops I MIGHT have sent one of your product to North Korea.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you have their products and they are on the list at Dept of State
then you must comply or the FBI will visit.

The company I worked for had a full time import/export person that was
a legal council to the company and we took delivery of boxes of
documents a year of laws and listings.

There was a case that a guy - think eBay but wasn't - sold a copy
machine exposure bulb to the pinko's as we called them and he went
to jail because it was listed as an atomic material product.

So I would find out what is what before two gold badges show up
and take your shop and documents to another building.

Martin

On 6/12/2015 11:41 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
You don't mention the ways.

The digital encoders might be of a grade that exports to certain
countries is by permission of state department only. Many items
and machines are on the lists. The company I worked for in the 80's
did a sting job and aided the G-Men in tracing the machines. They
were shipped to two states and then to a friendly country and was about
to go behind the Iron curtain when the law caught all sides.

Martin

So, what. I do not have to sign some insulting and degrading letter to
stay within the law. I really could care less about US Digitals
problems. Its akin to forcing me to work for them and law enforcement
without paying me. I already have to work for the IRS, DES, and AZDOR
unpaid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

You just gotta love scare tactic arguments. LOL. I've been in business all
my life, and in the normal course of business I have had reason to talk with
authorities at most levels of government including a few alphabet agencies.
Some as customers others in their official capacity. I am still here.
While it does happen that occasionally somebody gets screwed over by "the
system" for the most part if you aren't breaking the law there is no reason
to let somebody intimidate you or make demands of you.

By the way, I do export some parts, and I've done my homework there too. I
sure don't need USD trying to nanny me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

I wonder what kind of trouble US Digital got themselves into. Today I
received a letter from them saying I needed to sign it agreeing to obey the
law in several different ways, or they wouldn't sell to me anymore. My
first thought is somehow they get themselves in trouble, and they are
sending out these letters as a legal ploy to try claim it was somebody else.

I have three US Digital encoders on my Hurco KMB1.

I found the implication and tone of the letter to be vulgar and insulting.
Basically it said over and over again, "You agree to obey the law."
(Paraphrasing)

Yea, I got that letter too, it's sitting in my ignore and eventually
shred pile. I bought *GASP!* one f'in cable and connector assembly for
an encoder on my lathe.